• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 1,026 Views, 17 Comments

Freedom of Choice - Awakened One



If a single choice changes the life of one, how it would affect the lives of the ones who could not?

  • ...
10
 17
 1,026

Chapter IX: Storm Seen

Chapter IX: Storm Seen

Igor

Last night events weren’t for the best, I’m beginning to feel stressed. Not to mention physically exhausted, as being exiled on my first day on this world or when I had to carry mister potato bag to his home. I sigh. Better enjoy the moment.

I get up from my bed and examine my shirt, many rips on it, I take it off. Another look shows that it can still be of some use, even if they’re rags. As for my skin, there are shallow cuts and annoying itches through it, I hope don’t get any allergies from it. My weapon feels… sticky, I know exactly what to do with my new rags. I head to the lake with a few items on hand.

Sitting down near it I start by cleaning my weapon, pick some water by hand drop on it and dry with the piece of fabric. A few minutes and it’s over, clean and shiny. Now it’s my turn, I dip both arms into the lake to acclimate with the coldness. Once I’m comfortable with the temperature I take off my pants and jump into the lake.

Inside the water I lather, rinse and scratch my chest. Relieved from the small torment I take some time to float and enjoy the moment of calmness. I walk back to the campsite, I see Crystal, watching the unmoving corpse of the alpha wolf.

“Igor.” He acknowledges me.

“Crystal.” I nod to him.

The fires long extinguished, I sit near the carcass. I trace my hand around the wood creature. The wooden plate should be perfectly smooth, if not for the damage my little party had dealt to it, Gilda had enough strength to open and tear a hole on it and I had the right tool to finish the job, I put my hand inside it.

How to describe it? Damp and squishy? Plants aren’t squishy. I grab whatever is inside and pull it out… meat… I throw it into the ashes. Crystal looks at me.

“What?” I ask. He sighs and shakes his head.

Resolved to not find any surprises, I stop fidgeting inside the wolf. I look at the wood; most parts are melded, almost as if it were a single body, not a magical construct. The creature itself is a giant compared to its lesser pack mates.

The skull is the only intact piece and this catches my attention. I can use it, lightweight hard material. I go pick my knife and walk back to the body.

I unsheathe it, the knife’s handle is a wood cylinder, and the blade is sharpened on both sides. Overall, it is balanced; I just have to be careful when handling it, since my palm can slip over the edges.

I start to cut the wolf around the neck area, or try at least, blades aren’t meant to saw materials like that. I sigh.


Crystal

He finishes cutting the timberwolf head and puts it on his head, I give him another look.

“What?”

“What are you doing?” I question him.

“Isn’t it obvious? Protection... or a trophy.” He takes it off to show me. It’s hollow, what magic used to sustain the creature already faded on the moment he stuck it down, I pick it from his hands.

I give it a few slams, certainly harder than standard building wood, lighter too. I give it back to him.

“Almost dry, it needs more sunlight.” He places it down at an illuminated spot.

This reminded of something. “Speaking of sunlight, we’ll have to move. There is a storm scheduled for today.”

“How so?”

“A pegasus passed by earlier, weather control. Warned us of the storm, so we’ll have to pack and move.”

“To where?”

“That’s the reason Gilda left, she went ahead to make reservations for staying.”

“I didn’t want to stay here forever anyway.” He gets up, dusts himself and points to his bed. “I’ll get my things.”

All my thinks are packed and ready. I’ve been waiting to wake him up, to give him the note. I look at the dead wolf, how long did it take for such a creature to grow to this size? I’m sure Gilda can take care of herself, but the human is difficult to read.

“Can you tell me more about humans?”

“Good morning? How was your night? Did you sleep well?” He keeps on his business.

“I take it as sensitive subject.”

He stifles a laugh. “Nah, I’m just teasing you. Humans are too diverse. Just ask the right questions.”

He picks my curiosity. “Sleeping and eating habits?”

“Diurnal and omnivores, but I’m more active during the night.”

“Do humans hibernate?”

“No.” I was almost certain at that point.

“You showed some combat prowess, care to enlighten me?”

“You would probably do even better if you were a human, also teamwork and safety in numbers.”

“What I meant was the skill with the weapon.” I point to his polearm.

“Oh that? I just improvised. No one teaches this kind of thing anymore.” I’m not sure if he lies or is being truthful. He picks his objects and walks to the wolf corpse, we both look at it. “Where should we go now?”

I almost forgot about it, I fidget around my pack to pick a map. I place it on the ground. “From what I’ve heard, it’s one hour traveling to the east. It’s a small community with 30 housings or less.”

He picks the head and puts it away. “Lead the way.”

I look at the sky and start moving east with him by my side. “Are you really going to keep that?”

“I don’t see the problem with it, unless it rots.” He makes a face and pulls his mask up.

I give him a look. “Do I have to remind you of your choice of garments, have I?”

He looks me in the eyes. “I know!” He says in a cheerful tone, probably smiling.


Gilda

I hate those misfortunes, first the timberwolves and now the storm. What next? At least the pegasus had the courtesy to give us the news and the good will to not scream when seeing the dead behemoth.

After leading me to the town I thanked and went on my way to the nearest inn. If you’ve seen a small town, you’ve seen all. There only seems to be one in the whole place, no complaints. After bargaining I’ve made 3 reservations, it’ll be nice to have a smooth bed under me.

Now I’m just waiting for them in my room. I decide to take a bath and then have a real meal. I’m waiting on the lower level of the building and the ones I’ve been waiting arrive.

Crystal is ahead and Igor is following behind. I wave to them and they walk to my table as I put my keys on it.

Igor picks his. “My room is the eleventh.”

I point to the stairs. “It’s on the second floor.”

Crystal picks his. “Seventh.”

Crystal's room is next to mine, sixth. Why does he feel so dull? They both walk upstairs and I finish my dinner. Carrot and potato stew, I wish they served meat or seafood.

Igor is the first to come back down. At least he isn’t covering his face. He sits by my side, looks at my plate and starts to sniff it.

I push him. “Back off.”

“What? It smells good. I have to order something for me.”

He gets from the table and goes to the counter. I see him talking with the owner, his eyes shrinking at the moment he sees Igor. I stifle a laugh at the reaction. The owner seems to calm down and nods, Igor walks back to the table.

“Have you said something out of the normal?” I question him.

“Me? Nothing, the pony was just scared by himself.” He shrugs.

I roll my eyes. Those ponies overreact so much. Igor looks out one of the windows and I follow his gaze, things aren’t looking pretty outside.

He huffs. “Is the weather always controlled this tightly?”

“In Equestria? Yes.”

A waitress comes by with a serving tray. Igor picks his food and… a milkshake? Then he picks my plate and puts it back into the tray. He thanks the waitress with a smile and she returns it then goes away.

He sniffs his food. “Do you always have to do that?”

“Smelling the food? I like it.”

I shake my head. “You’re a weirdo.”

He picks the cutlery and smiles to me. “Thank you.” He starts to eat it quietly and stops with the spoon mid-air. “Do you think they serve –”

Meat would be the word, but I jam his mouth and whisper. “Don’t say it loud.”

He nods. “Okay.” He pulls his chair close to me and whispers back. “Can you tell me why?”

“They think it’s cruel to kill animals and to eat them, not all of them though, I’ve met a few more open minded.” This reminds me Snow Blanket.

He grows a large smile. “Did you know that plants can also feel pain?”

“You always have something interesting to say.” I lean on my arm.

“Tell me more about griffon diet.”


Crystal

I have to organize my things, unpack and check. I’m not carrying much, some rations, a few bits and some personal things. Since everything is order I move downstairs.

I see Gilda and Igor talking with each other. I also see an empty plate and a cup of milk. I walk to them.

“Didn’t you unpack your things?” I ask Igor.

“Nope, I’ll leave once things calm down.”

Gilda interrupts us. “That’ll take 2 or 3 days.”

Igor pulls his head back and groans then I turn to look at him. “Stop with this behavior.”

He turns back his head. “Stop which one?” Gilda stifles a laugh.

I answer him. “You know what? Keep doing that.”

He shrugs. “I don’t have any bad behaviors.”

“No, you’re just quirky.” He doesn’t answers.

I look at the drink in the table. Is it chocolate milk? “To whom this belongs?”

Igor raises his hand. “Almost forgot… have you ever drunk a milkshake?”

“Is this what it’s called?”

He pushes it to me and I grab it. “Give it a try.”

I pick and give it a gulp… “Delicious.”

He crosses his arms. “Damn. Now I don’t have one.” He raises his hand to someone behind me and a few seconds later a waitress comes by. “Can I have more two shakes and another plate of stew?” She nods and goes.

Gilda looks at him. “Are you still hungry?”

“Yep.”

A minute or two later and I’m still savoring my ‘milkshake’. The waitress comes with a tray, he picks the food and puts his empty plate back on with a thanks and a smile.

“First mine,” He picks the plate. “second mine” He picks the shake. “and the third is yours.” He gives Gilda the second one.

“Gee, thanks.”

“No worries, I’ll pay you… speaking of which, how much are we paying for the rooms?”

“10 bits a day, 15 with double meals.”

“Not bad.” He smells his food.

“It’s the same food.”

“It’s hot, fresh, smells and tastes great.”

I look at him. “Quirky.” Gilda laughs this time.

We keep eating for some time. The weather begins to get worse. Igor picks everything from the table and walks to the balcony. I keep looking out of the window and Gilda calls my attention and points to Igor. He keeps talking with the establishment owner, don’t know what about but both are smiling, he picks a chair tries to sit but instead hits one of his knees in the counter. He swears and curses, Gilda is holding her beak, trying not to laugh too loud.

A group of pegasi enters the place. Between them is the same one who warned us earlier. She walks to Igor and he pulls his hand to her, she shakes it. They talk a bit more, the pegasus walks close to him, they talk in each other’s ears. He points up stairs and she nods, they both go up. Gilda huffs and follows them.

I sigh. “I hope I don’t have to put with this too often.” The waitress passes by and I call her. “I need another milkshake, please.”


Igor

I go into my room open my backpack, grabbing my first memento from this misadventure. I place it on the floor.

She lets out a loud whisper. “You did that?”

“No just me, they helped too.” I refer to my companions.

“The griffon and crystal pony?”

“Yeah, we three against seven timberwolves.” I proceed to tell her what my party did. Not exaggerating in any part, how I got pounced, the smell of burning wood, the adrenaline, my last maneuver.

“That was cool. Tell me, where are you from?”

Retrieving stored lie, applying lie. “I came from the north, past the frozen tundra across the sea.” I can’t tell her, or anyone, that I’m an alien or whatever.

“And what are you?”

I look at both sides. “Can you keep a secret?” She nods in excitement. “Me too.” I grin.

“Not funny! Feel right into that one."

Okay, I won’t lie this time. “Yes, you did. I’m a human.”

She looks confused. “Like the ones in bed stories?”

“Climbing in your beds and snatching your people. Hide your kids, hide your wives and hide your husbands, because I’m kidnapping everyone out there.” I say in a sing tone.

She breaks into a laugh. “You’re not serious, are you?”

“Not even a bit.” I pick the cap and put it on her head.

She takes it off. “It’s a little bit creepy.”

I put it on my head. “Do I look creepy?”

“You look silly.” I take it off. “If you want to talk with anypony, I’m at the first room.”

“Okay, cya.”

I get up from the bed and open the door to her. Gilda is on other side of the door, she looks me in the eyes and makes way to the pegasus. She waves her hoof to me and I wave back. Gilda keeps looking at me.

“Hey Gilda.” She gets in and I close the door. I sit back on my bed.

“So, what you two were talking about?” She flicks her talon.

“Check this.” I pick the alpha’s head and pass it to her.

She takes a look at it and gives me back. “Are you wearing it?”

I shrug. “Maybe I will.” I put on my head. “Maybe I already did.” I take it off.

She rolls her eyes and looks around. I start to unpack my things, reorganize them. I see the rain outside and I open the window.

“I love the smell of wet soil on rainy days.” I close it and open the door. “I’m going out.”

She looks at the window. “But it’s raining.”

I nod and smile to her. “I know.”

We exit my room, I lock the door. Moving downstairs I see Crystal looking outside, some pegasi and the earth ponies that work here. I walk to the door and Gilda stops me.

“Are you feeling alright?”

And another question that hit me. “Never felt any better.” I walk outside.

End of Chapter IX