• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 1,026 Views, 17 Comments

Freedom of Choice - Awakened One



If a single choice changes the life of one, how it would affect the lives of the ones who could not?

  • ...
10
 17
 1,026

Chapter V: Out of this Town

Chapter V: Out of this Town

“I’m up…” I say to myself.

Sitting at the small, but very comfortable bed, I stretch my arms and let out a loud yawn. Finding my clothes resting at the top of the desk, every piece of them. Lifting from the bed and immediately go for them: underwear, pants and shirt. I decide to go barefoot, feeling the wood floor on my feet.

Moving out of the room, I step at the stairway, into the bathroom and start to wash my face. I dry my face on a nearby towel and go look for the land owner, I hear sounds from the kitchen and move there. Bright Berry washing the dishes, I lean at the doorway.

“Good morning.” I say with a gentle smile.

“Good evening sleepyhead.” She doesn’t stop her task.

I walk to her with intent on helping. “What time is it?”

“Midday, you skipped yesterday’s dinner and just missed lunch. More than a half day of sleep.” She chuckles.

“Yes, I was tired. It’s a miracle I’m not sore. I’m thirsty though, not hungry.”

She points to a jar. “There is still some juice there.”

I pick a cup fill it and sit at the table. She finishes her chore and sits at the opposite end. I gulp down 3 cups, finally satisfied, I keep my gaze at the bottom of the empty cup for a few seconds. I snap out of my trance after hearing steps.

“Hello there.” It’s the bar owner, Blunder Beer, and his brother, Crystal Flux.

I wave my hand at him. Crystal moves close to me, we get into a stare match.

“You don’t look strong.” I smile.

“You don’t look sober.” His brother smiles, but he keeps the serious face.

“Proper introductions, my name is Crystal Flux. My apologies for my behavior.” He raises his hoof for a shake.

“No harm done?” I point to his head, he shakes it, and my hand moves to shake his hoof.

“Geez, look who decided to wake up.” I wave my hand to Gilda.

They all pick places at the table, sitting down, looking at me…

“What?” I ask, uncomfortable with the situation.

“Nothing, when I mean nothing, it means there is nothing to do on the house, except the occasional cleaning. The orchard is clean, nothing to pick.” Bright answers.

“I’m curious about you, Gilda said you are a human. Are you?” Crystal’s turn.

“Yes, I am.”

“Where are you from?”

I scratch behind my head and try to think of an answer, where am I and where was I, alternate world, universe or time? “I really don’t know how to answer that. But humans usually live on cities, you know, similar to the Crystal Empire, lots of buildings with lots of humans doing their human things.” I nod. Everybody at the table laughs, Crystal just shakes his head.

“I won’t get a straight answer from you, will I?”

“You just have to ask the correct question.” I shrug.

“Are there others from your species around?”

Never saw a human on the show, the answer is obvious. “Not to my knowledge. Do you know anything about humans?”

“A few foals’ tales. But you certainly aren’t what I expected to be a human.”

“Yeah, there isn’t anything much interesting about humans, except the hands and fingers. How do you pick things up?” I clap my hands twice and snap my fingers.

“Short range magical field, usually for small things, lacks precision, requires training though.”

“I thought so.”


“So, are you rested?” I ask him.

He nods. “If a certain griffon left me to sleep yesterday I wouldn’t have to deal with a certain drunk.” He crosses his arms.

“Hey, I didn’t wake you up this time.”

He chuckles. “Just teasing you.” I shake my head at him. “Just give me a second to stretch…” He starts grabbing the stool and twisting his back to both sides, sending cracks through his spine, he does the same to his arms and wrists, knuckles and fingers, knees and feet, finishing with his neck. Everybody at the table flinches at this. “Much better.” He sighs.

“I’ll have nightmares about it.” Blunder says.

“No worries, I’m fine. Anyway, I need to get a new set of clothes.”

“Are you trying to hide something?” I snicker at him. “There is nothing wrong with the ones you’re using.” I point to him.

“Well, I can’t have just those clothes, I’ll need something else in case of something happens to those aaaaand I hate this uniform.”

“Whatever.” I shrug.

“We could all go into the city since we have the day off!” Bright chimes.

“That would be nice.”

“I guess I could take a break from the bar.”

“I suppose I could go too.” Crystal says.

“Ok then, I’ll go get my shoes, bits and then we’re out.”

He moves from the table upstairs. We all move outside and in a few moments Igor is down with us, backpack strapped on his back. The minutes pass by, the three ponies keeping ahead of us while Igor stays behind, keeping the same pace as them. I slow my pace down to catch with him.

“Already tired dweeb?”

He smiles. “I was wondering when you would use that term and no, I’m not tired.”

He slows down, I hear his steps becoming slower and then he picks up the pace again, and I repeat the process. We repeat it for three more times and then he stops.

“What is it?” I ask him.

He points and I look at the place. “Look there. Can you see it?” His tone changes to a more serious one. I force my eyes in hopes of seeing something.

“What is it? I can’t see anything.” I look back and he is way ahead of me. I sprint to him. “Hey, what was that?”

He stifles a laugh. “Gotcha.” A full smile.

I mimic him. “I’ll give you credit for that. Why are you behind them and not at their side?”

“It feels natural to me, don’t ask.” He shrugs.

I give him a push. “Come on, they don’t bite.” I walk ahead and he follows me.

We’re close, the ponies keep talking and don’t even notice us. Soon enough we’re all together, we arrive at the Crystal Empire moving through the streets, much activity, some civilians look at our little group, and the guards keep their faces in focus.

“And we’re here, Sew and Stitch.” She points to a plaque with crossed knitting needles.

Bells rings as we move inside, the place is very organized and clean, we pick our places and Igor keeps trying to find a place for him.

A mare with a green coat and brown mane meets us. “Welcome to Sew and Stitch, I’m Sew, how… may I help you?” She looks at Igor.

“Ma’am.” He says with a nod.

“Oh! Hello, how may I help you?” She repeats herself.

“I’m interested in making some purchases.”

“Sure, sure. Would you please come here, I need to take the measurements.” She points to the center of the room, the place is a white circle with a concave mirror on the wall. She pushes a small stool to her side. “Would you please take off your clothes?”

“What?” Surprise on his tone.

“I need to take the measurements.”

“Really? All of it?”

“Yes, all of it.” Her tone changes to a more commanding one.

He sighs and grunts. “Fine. But I’m not taking my underwear.” He takes off the upper cloth and no one in the room can keep themselves from laughing.


What!?!?” The blood rushes to my head as I hear them laughing at me. I don’t practice any sports, strong legs from walking a lot, an activity which I enjoy, a slight tummy, unnoticeable, lanky arms, definitely my fault for not exercising them.

“Your skin (Gasp) different colors (Laughs)!” Gilda says.

I look into the mirror and I see my face and arms. “I hate the sun.” I’m tanned from my yesterday’s exposure to the sun, I feel more comfortable and laugh together with them. As everybody calms down I look at Sew. “I want all my clothes to be black.”

She stifles a laugh. “Of course. Would you please take your pants down?”

The blood rushes back to my head. I comply. I take off my shoes and then my pants. No one laughs this time. Sew picks up my pant and starts to ruffle through it.

“I recognize the shirt, cotton. But what is the material for the pants?” Despise my shame I answer her.

“Polyester.”

“What?”

“PET.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Plastic.”

Are you telling me this is made of plastic?!?!?” She yells the last word.

“Yes, it is plastic and no, you can’t have it.” I laugh.

“I wasn’t going to ask for it!”

“But you were thinking.” I reply.

“Stitch, can you come here?” She changes the subject as her voice drops to a normal level.

A stallion with the same colors as her arrives in the same moment. “Yes, sister?”

“I need you to take the measurements, I’ll take the notes.”

He picks a measuring tape, gets on his hind legs and starts the job, all while holding the tape and telling his sister some numbers. A few moments later and they stop, Sew comes to my front.

“Any specifications?” She asks.

“As I said, all in black, I don’t want anything restraining my movements, so make it simple, durable and comfortable.” She nods and writes down, with her mouth. “As for the shirt, you could use the same model for the one I have, except the collar and the opening in the front, no pockets. Make the sleeves go to the wrists.” I rub my wrists to show them. “My pants, I want pockets on both sides, just below the waist.” I point them.

She drops the pencil from her mouth into her hoof. “It will be quite hard.”

“It will be interesting.” Her brother says.

She smiles. “Yes, that too. Anything else?” She asks me.

Now I get uncomfortable, how do you say to girl that you need underwear? On the face and very quietly. I lean a close to her and whisper on her ear.

“Do you see the piece of cloth I’m using on my waist?” She nods. “I need four more of those.” She nods again.

“No need to be ashamed.” She replies.

I scratch behind my head as I get up. “Also, some foot and hand wear, like boots and gloves.”

“Will you want those clothes on your feet too?” She points to my socks and I nod. She picks the pencil and writes again. “Take the measurements of his hands and feet.” Her brother moves close and they start to work again, pencil and tape, he says the numbers and she writes it down. “Anything more?”

I can’t deny a thing I always wanted, a cloak.

“A cloak with something to cover from my nose down, a mask.” I say in a playful tone.

“If we can make the shirt, a cloak will be no problem. Can you sit down?” She’s serious.

I do it and they start again. “Is that all?”

“Yes, that’s all.” I start to put back my clothes.

They both discuss for a while and as I finish putting all my clothes back they talk to me.

“So, why everything black?” She says.

I can’t resist the question. “Why? I’m here to substitute Sombra, isn’t it obvious?” I say a bit louder this time. Every pony in the room gasps and I hear someone fainting, Booze fell.

I sigh and shake my head. “That was a joke.”

Gilda and Stitch are the only ones laughing from it.

“I like his sense of humor.” Stitch snickers.

“Not funny.” Sew says.

“Sorry.” I say with an apologetic look.

“Alright then, it will be ready in 3 or 4 days. And here,” She hands me a piece of paper. “are the prices.”

Shirt 40 bits Pants 50 bits Gloves 35 bits Boots 35 bits Cloak 65 bits

Underwear 25 bits Socks 25 bits Total 275 bits Custom clothes just for me? Priceless.

“Agreeable. Can I pay for it now? I would rather do it.”

They look at each other and then back at me. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am.” I smile.


Igor goes into the back room while Crystal and Bright wakes up Booze and explain Igor’s joke. We wait some time and he comes back.

Berry goes to him. “Everything settled?”

He nods. “All done. You said something about shopping?”

She bobs her head. “Yes, we should go to the market square, I have to resupply the house.”

“You should be more careful with what you say, you’ll get in trouble.” Booze scolds him.

He laughs. “Yeah.”

We arrive at the market, fewer looks now, maybe curiosity, Bright isn’t the only one picking supplies, and Igor is also picking some things. When he can’t hold anything else he throws it into his backpack.

“Are there any laws about weapons around here?” Igor asks.

Crystal turns to him. “You can own them, it’s just common sense to not carry them around. Or necessity.”

Igor stops on his tracks. “Where can I buy one?”

Crystal frowns. “The blacksmith.”

“And where is the blacksmith?”

Crystal sighs. “Do you need a weapon?”

“I’ll probably need.”

“Near the palace, I’ll lead you there.”

A few minutes and we arrive at our destination, a sign with a hammer striking an anvil.

“Wait a second, I’ll go in first and call you.” Crystal goes inside.

“What’s up with him?” Igor asks with annoyance on his voice.

“Who knows.” I shrug.

A few seconds later we hear noises inside, loud clangs, yelling and silence. The door opens, Crystal is back. “Come on in.”

“We’ll wait here.” Berry says, her uncle waves at us. I shake my head and go inside with Igor.

“I expected the place to be messier.” Igor says.

True, the place is all tidied up, some armors placed in racks, all belonging to the Royal Guard. A bulky stallion with yellow mane and orange coat comes to meet.

He looks at me, then at Igor. “Hello, my name is Forge and I’m the owner of this place, how may I help you?”

“I’m looking for two things: a small and a big one.” He’s never serious about anything.

“Look, my name is Forge, I work at a blacksmith as a smith and my talent is metalwork, just tell what you want.” He says with annoyance.

“Calm down, I’ll need a small straight knife, the blade can be the size of my hand.” He puts the bags down and show Forge his hands, Forge brightens a bit at the request. Crystal and me pay close attention to him. “And the big one…”

“Say it, I can do it.” Enthusiasm.

“Do you craft spears?” Forge nods. “Do you craft axes?”

“It has been some time, but I can do one.” The hostility on his voice disappears completely.

“Can you mix both?” What is he planning?

“I’m thinking…” He takes a pause. “Metal shaft.” He nods. “It would be really uncomfortable for a pony to use.”

“Well, I’m not a pony.” Igor crosses his arms.

“Oh yes, forgot about that. And the size?”

“About the same as my head, the pointy tip can be a bit taller, the blades can be at my level.”

“Blades? Got it.” He smiles.

“Price?” Already thinking about paying up.

“Calm down! We just started!” Surprised tone.

“I hate having debts, when I come it’ll be just to pick it up and leave.”

“An interesting design. I bet you have many more ideas, never saw a weapon like that.” Me neither.

“There is some irony on the making, we can talk when I’m back to pick it up, right now I’m carrying a ton of things and want to get this over with.”

“My apologies, I’ll just take your height.” He goes on the back of the counter and comes back with a wooden pole. He takes his measurement and marks the stick. “It’ll weight around 8 pounds.” Igor sighs in confusion. “3.5 kilograms?” Igor nods. “85 bits.”

“Isn’t the price a bit low?” Crystal asks.

“I’m not doing it for the money, all I’m charging is the material prices, and I would do it for free, or even pay him for some ideas. I work for the royalty, all the guards do is trip and dent the armor or scratch it during training sessions. I’m getting insane from the lack of work!” I contain my laugh at this.

“How long will it take?” Igor asks.

“I love my work, I really do, 3 days. I can make the knife today and still have time left for the… what is the name of the thing?”

“Halberd, poleaxe or pole-arm.” He shrugs.

Igor picks the money and places it on the counter and Forge counts it. “All settled.”

“Nice doing business with you.” He nods, picks his things and we go outside.

We all get together, Booze leaves to attend to his place. Outside the city and back into the big farmhouse. Igor tell us that if we need help, just ask him, he leaves to his room. The other two go on their business. I’m left alone with my thoughts.

“What is he planning?”

End of Chapter V

Author's Note:

Adding more side characters from now on.

Meaning more different points of view.

Border followed by name.