• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 1,027 Views, 17 Comments

Freedom of Choice - Awakened One



If a single choice changes the life of one, how it would affect the lives of the ones who could not?

  • ...
10
 17
 1,027

Chapter III: Dreams of Crystal

Chapter III: Dreams of Crystal

We started our journey towards the Crystal Empire, with sore legs and heavy heart I left the place where I had my first contact with ponykind. The snow started to give way for the grass, just as the sun began to settle down to give way for the rising moon.

What should be a trek of 3 hours increased to 5, unfortunately I didn’t realized the toll that my past actions had taken on me, I turn to Gilda to ask.

“How much left?”

“About an hour, give it or take it.”

Realizing something, I stop walking, she bumps into me.

“What’s the big idea? Move!”

“Just realized I don’t have any money and I’ll probably have to sleep on the streets. Unless… Gilda, can you fly?”

“What do you want?”

“I’m looking for a farm.”

She shakes her head and points towards something. “There.” I guess that’s my destination.

I nod and change my course for it. As the few minutes pass by, I begin to see a big building and something of what could be made as an orchard, whatever they plant there, it thrives on the cold clime.

The building’s door on my front, I step forward and get ready to knock on it, but a thought crosses my mind, what do I say? Hello sir/madam, I’m a weary traveler that requires shelter. Something along those lines will do, too tired to think properly. I turn to Gilda and she faces me with a look that says “what”. I try to clean myself and make a presentable face.

I knock on the door, hearing the sounds of hooves making their way from the floor above the ground level. The doors open, I see a mare with a crystalline red coat and icy blue mane, the colors clashing, her face, neutral.

“Excuse me miss, my name is Igor and I’m a human, my friend here,” I nudge Gilda, she nods to the mare. “is Gilda, we’re travelers seeking shelter for the night. If you may be so kind to provide it, I promise that during my stay I’ll be of no burden to you.”

She looks at Gilda and me and then brings her hoof to her chin.

“Of course I wouldn’t deny it! The gryphon can stay at one of the guest rooms, but for you… I don’t think it would be possible to house you here, to clear any misunderstandings, I don’t think you would fit in any bed here and I’m waiting for my father and he tends to…” She pouts. “overdrink. I’m more worried to what would happen if he saw you on his state.”

“Reasonable. Where shall I spend the night?”

“Well,” She shifts with discomfort. “would you mind sleeping in the barn?”

I smile. “Not at all, I just wanted a place to rest, protection from the weather and wild animals is enough. Thank you.” I give her a small bow.

Content enough with the results, we walk to the barn. Made of sturdy wood and painted in light blue that would blend on snow, in our current location it merely made it stand out. She opens it and as we began to get in, she asks.

“May I bring you any covering? The place will get quite cold through the night.” I shake my head and point towards my snow cloak. “Alright then. I take it Gilda will stay here as well.” Gilda nods.

“I see.” She turned towards the door and just as she is about to left. “Oh! By Celestia! I forgot to introduce myself, my name is Bright Berry. Sorry for my absent mind, I’m just worried about my father. If you excuse me, I need to go.” She nods and leaves, closing the door behind her.

I shake my head, look at the surrounds to find the perfect place, a big spot where the hay is spread through the ground, I scoop some up, making a layer to protect me from the ground, I lay my backpack down to use it as a pillow and cover myself with the cloak.

“Why did you let them do that?” Gilda asks.

“Please, not now, too tired, promise answer tomorrow.” All I could manage to say.

“I’m holding this promise.” She went silent. Soon after, I would fall asleep.


I wake up just before the sunrise, I feel restless, just a few meters of me Igor lays, and only the sound of light breathing leaves him as his chest rises and fall. I walk to him and start to shake him in attempt to wake him up.

“Hum?”

“I want my answer.”

“Time?”

“Sun just got up.”

“Midday.”

“What?” He didn’t answer this time, if he wishes me to wake him up later he’s dead wrong. “Fine!!” I shout. “Do whatever you want!” After two steps from leaving he answers.

“Wait, what did you say?” He starts to get up.

I said do whatever you want!” I shout back the answer.

He starts giggling and breaks into a full laugh. “What’s so funny?” I ask him angrily.

He takes a few seconds to recompose himself. “That phrase, ‘do whatever you want’, never thought I would hear it in my life.”

Just forget it Gilda, go straight. “You promised something.”

“Yes I did, what was it?” At least he partially remembers.

“Why did you let those ponies treat you like that? Why you didn’t put up with that?”

He crosses his hind and fore paws. “Tell me, what you’d have done?”

“I don’t have time for this.”

“I’m being serious Gilda, what you would have done in my place?” He’s serious.

“If I were in you place would talk them down, see if I can calm them, as for myself I would’ve ditched them just because of those blasted windigoes.”

“Do you know what a windigo feeds on?” I shake my head. “They feed on ‘negative’ emotions, how much time do you think it would take for another to follow?”

“So, it would be a vicious cycle?”

“Probably.” He gets up and brushes himself. “Maybe it’s for the best, or maybe a flock of them swept the town clean of life after our departure.”

I gasp at this. “Calm down, it’s just a joke.” I shake my head and leave the barn.


Do whatever I want. I beam at the thought. The only impediment being, what do I want to do? I follow Gilda, stepping outside and closing the doors tightly. At the horizon I see the sun.

“Beautiful…” I couldn’t deny it, a beautiful sight. On my yesterday’s rush I could barely admire this world, the sun, the snow, the grass, everything that fills this world is different from Earth, the hues, brightness and contrast of all the things in this world is a thing that only artists and dreamers would be able to achieve, it is a magical land. I’m no exception to it, raising my hand in front of my eyes I see it, the little details that cover my hand, each of my prints seemly drew from something that I wouldn’t ever imagined, the hair on my arms is no different, I imagine how my face looks. Even my touch felt different.

Gilda seems to be reflecting on something, she doesn’t notice me staring at her, what does it feel like to have fur and feathers? How would she see perceive my world? Thoughts and questions for later, as for now, what do I do? Thank my host for the housing.

I turn to Gilda. “Hey,” She looks back. “I’m going to thank Berry, want to tag along?” I smile as the last worlds leave my mouth. She notices me quoting her and nods.

“Very funny, nothing much for me to do, I guess it is fine.”

We walk back to the house to find Bright Berry moving to us.

“Oh, I was about to wake you up, would you mind doing me a favor?”

“Not at all.” I reply with a smile.

“Remember when I told about my father?” I nod. “He hasn’t arrived, I can’t leave the farm to look for him, too many chores. He’s a crystal stallion with a grey coat and yellow mane by the name of Crystal Flux. I may have an idea of where he is, you should look at Blunder Beer’s bar at the Crystal Empire. You won’t miss it because it has the same name as the owner.” She giggled. “Thank you for your help, I’ll be sure to repay it.”

“No need, I’m repaying it for your hospitality.”

She leaves to the farm as I get a glimpse of her cutie mark, a crystal berry with shifting colors, truly unique. Gilda and I leave to the Crystal Empire, without a clock I could only determine of what could be a walk of 20 minutes. Arriving at the border we moved through the streets, the crystalline buildings were either grow out of the ground or were carried from somewhere from the depths to the surface, the giant castle like tower being at the center.

Not wanting to waste time I look for other ponies to interact, only the guards were awake this early, I look at Gilda and smile, she looks at me and I nod towards the guards. “Go on.” She says, so we do it.

A pair, probably patrolling, a crystal and an earth guards. The earth pony visibly shaking and the crystal pony remained indifferent.

“Greetings guards, I’m a little lost here, I’m looking for Blunder Beer’s bar, would you mind pointing it?” The crystal guard was very happy to help me, the earth guard stood there with his mouth open, I thanked and moved to the pointed direction.

Arriving at the structure we enter it, almost empty except for the beer colored, white mane and yellow coat, stallion that sat behind the counter cleaning a bunch of glasses, by the looks he is employed here.

“Welcome to Blunder Beer’s bar, I’m Blunder Beer, may get you anything?” He says with a smile.

“More like ‘somepony’, I’m looking for Crystal Flux, his daughter Bright Berry sent me here to look for him.”

His expression shifted to sadness.

“I guess I’ll close the bar for a while.” He says while cleaning the last crystal mug. “My brother has not been the same since…” He trails off, wait, his brother?

“So, Berry is your niece?”

“Yes, I’ll show you were he is.” We three leave the bar, he closes it and moves ahead of us.

We arrive at a graveyard, moving through the small tombstones I see various names and dates, apparently ponies use the same system as humans, 30 days and 12 months, the years being with 4 digits. We arrive at a particular grave, none other than Bright’s father passed out on the ground with a bottle in a hoof, I approach him and try pull off the bottle from his grip. How the hell a pony holds things with a hoof?

“Hey! It’s mine!” The stallion says with a slurred voice.

“Good, you’re awake.” Blunder says with a scowl on his face.

“Hey drunk, your daughter is worried about you.” Finally Gilda says something.

“Nothing of your business, leave me alone.” He tries to shoo us. I don’t think he can see me straight.

“Blunder, how strong a crystal pony coat is?” I ask.

“Well, the external crystalline part is very strong, almost doubles as armor, why do you ask?”

I swiftly snatch the bottle from Crystal’s grasp, it’s empty, good, I proceed to smash the bottle on his head, sending the fragments everywhere and knocking him out. Gilda and Blunder start to laugh at my doing.

“Damn boy, I was about to it myself.” He catches his breath and laughs harder.

“Me too.” Gilda snickers.

“I guess I have to carry him now.” I shake my head.

“Yep, that you do, I’ll clear this mess. Give Bright a hug for me.”

I dismiss him and turn to Gilda.

“Can you carry my backpack?”

“What?”

“The pack on my back, it’s a backpack.”

“Why should I?”

“I’ll carry the drunkard.”

“And?”

“Would you please carry my backpack?”

“Since you asked so nicely, I’ll do it.” She laughs as I hand it to her.

“Thanks.” I put him on my shoulder. “This will be a fucking long trip.” I shake my head again.


He’s a bit crazy, maybe a lot. Every time I look at the drunken stallion drooling at his shoulder a snicker escapes me, every time he sees me doing it he does the same. Funny guy.

30 minutes walking, I can see him sweating, he just pants and clears his head with his left paw and sometimes claw his head’s fur backwards, strange little claws of his.

We arrive back at the farm, he places down the stallion and slumps down.

“Gilda, would you mind to look for Bright? I need to catch my breath.”

“I’ll do it.” I throw the ‘backpack’ at his face. “You still owe me another.”

I beat my wings and take flight, the berry orchard is almost big as… forget it. It’s just big, the red glowing coat stands out in the green field, and I fly to it.

“Hello Gilda.”

“Hey, we got your father back, Igor is with him at the house’s doorstep.”

“I’ll be there soon. Consider yourselves invited for breakfast.”

Something to fill my stomach would be awesome, the last time I ate something was yesterday? No, the day before yesterday, damn, all that work for nothing, nothing edible at least. I fly back to Igor and we wait for Bright to come back, we get inside, a simple and big house. Igor and Berry move to the floor above the ground carrying the unconscious stallion, probably to set him on his bed. They walk back down and I follow them.

"I apologize on my father's behalf, he isn't the same since mother passed away, he's a good stallion, but from time to time he goes into depression."

"What happened?" Sympathy on his voice.

"It was during king's Sombra reign, sorry, but if you want to hear more you'll have to ask father, it's not a good way of remembering mother." He nods.

We three go to the kitchen. Ah the smell, it’s all fresh made: cakes, pies, cookies, jam, juice and the fruits themselves. Igor looks silly trying to sit on the stalls, he sets down on his rump, doesn’t look so tall. He starts to sniff the food, I can’t control myself and start to laugh, Bright does the same. Igor just stares at us.

“Sorry, but even the smell is delicious, I can almost taste it.”

“Enjoy it!” We don’t waste any time.

We finished the meal, Igor offered to wash the dishes, I choose to lie down and let the stomach do its work. I close my eyes but stay alert.

“So, what you’ll be doing now?” Bright’s voice.

“Right now I just want to take a nap. I’m completely out of my time zone.” I should ask him some time about it. “But I need some money, a bath and a place to sleep.” I haven’t thought about it yet.

“I could offer you some work if you’re interested.”

“That would be great. What is it?”

“I noticed these claws of yours, would you be up for some berry picking?”

“Gilda, would you be up for some berry picking?” I’m surprised by his question.

“That would be great.” We both laugh.

End of Chapter III