• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 3,438 Views, 43 Comments

Wrath - FishyCrackers431



No one is perfect. Everyone has their quirks. Some are more dangerous than others.

  • ...
10
 43
 3,438

Reflection

Chapter 9: Reflection

reflection, noun: a fixing of the thoughts on something

-

The group could only stand staring, dazed by the spectacle of magic they'd just witnessed. They stared off towards the forest, where their friend -their binding friend, she who was always the voice of reason- had disappeared into.

Celestia trotted back and forth on an invisible line separating the forest from the town, before finally turning back to the small group. By the looks on their faces, even Pinkie who'd rarely be seen not smiling, they were either dumbstruck or crushed. Most of them were both. It was hard for Celestia herself to keep the authority in her voice. "I need you all to meet me at the Library as soon as you can. I know you might all be a bit busy..." Her eyes drifted to a patch of black onRainbow's wing that had been singed. "But this is of the utmost importance"

With a quick turn of her head, she waved Spike over, who, as if shaken, could only barely make his way over to the Alicorn. Celestia lowered herself some, to allow him to climb on. Normally he'd have jumped at the chance to ride on Celestia's back, as many would. Now it was the last thing in his mind. "We need to talk, Spike" She sighed, feeling him getting on, and only then taking off into the air, out of sight within seconds.

"What just happened!" Pinkie Pie shouted, pulling the other four from their thoughts and nearly causing them to jump out of their skin.

"Twilight attacked us" Fluttershy murmured, keeping two fearful eyes on the treeline as if afraid that Twilight might return at any moment.

Oddly enough, Rarity spoke up next. "No she didn't" She said plainly, drawing all eyes to her. "It's that awful gem she's wearing around her neck that's been doing all of this. Spike explained everything to me"

"Then come on, let's go get her! Let's just pull it off and toss it away" Rainbow raised herself up into the air a few short feet, before her wing gave a powerful lurch, a few stray black feathers came raining off it, and the sudden smell of burnt leaves was in the air. Rainbow Dash fell back to the ground a second later, grumbling loudly and massaging the burnt wing.

"Hold on there girls, we should think about this first" Applejack called their attention. "The Princess asked us to go see her. I bet she came with the Elements, we'll be needing them for this"

"Why waste time?" Rainbow stood herself back up, glaring towards Applejack. "We already know what the friendship problem is, 'We weren't caring about her feelings' or whatever, let's go get her!"

"Were we watchin' the same Twilight? That wasn't no friendship problem. That there was a Discord level problem! A Nightmare Moon level problem! I'm sure the Princess would've come prepared!"

"I'd like another Discord level problem" Pinkie Pie quickly said, sounding ecstatic for a moment at the memory of the chocolate rain. That joy quickly faded. "This isbigger than a Discord problem"

"All the more reason we need the Princess's help" Applejack finished smugly.

Fluttershy raised a hoof a moment later. "I vote for going to see the Princess"

"Well I vote we go find Twilight before she causes any trouble! What if she hurts someone?" Rainbow turned and started heading off to the forest on her own. "You know what? Forget it! You guys go have tea time with the Princess, I'm going to go find our friend!"

"Rainbow Dash!" Applejack bounded in front of the pegasus's path, glaring. "If you go walking into that forest, you're doing it on your own!"

"She is?" Pinkie asked from where she stood.

"She is" Rarity confirmed, giving the stamp of a hoof and refusing to take a step forward as proof.

"Listen hun" Applejack laid a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder, who for just a moment tried to force her way past. "You think we don't care about her? You know we want to be out there finding Twilight right now too, but we're kinda outmatched here. Just give it a chance, we need the Princess's help here"

Rainbow Dash, finally taking a deep breath, looked Applejack up and down before sighing in defeat. "Fine, but let's make it quick! Twilight's probably gonna try to burn the forest down or something"

-

Despite Celestia's reassurances, Spike found himself pacing over the floor of the library for the next few hours. The news she'd given had been anything but good. In fact, if this had been anyone else telling him such things, Spike would have called them a liar to their face.

The Princess had busied herself in the second room of the library, looking idly through the collection of books to keep herself busy.

Spike had almost given up hope when he heard several quick raps on the door, tripping over his feet as he hurried to go answer it.

Applejack stood at the head of the group, covered in numerous small patches and bandages where she'd been burned. She still managed to look better than Rainbow, to her right, whose wing was completely wrapped up, and still seemed to be in relative pain when she moved. To Rainbow's right was Rarity, who, despite her best efforts, still seemed oddly unpampered, not including the obvious stress in her eyes. Meanwhile, to Applejack's left were Pinkie and Fluttershy respectively, with Pinkiebouncing expectantly on the spot and the pegasus bearinga small white rabbit which had beenriding her.

"What took you guys so long? You should hear what Princess Celestia's been saying!" Spike hurriedly shoved each member of the little group indoors, shutting it behind them. "You guys have to talk some sense into her!"

"Beg pardon?" Applejack asked. Princess Celestia appeared from the doorway across the room moments later.

"So? What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do?" Pinkie bounced forward, expectantly awaiting the Princess orders.

With a sigh, Celestia looked to each of the girls before finally answering "Nothing"

This received a unanimous "What!" from the group. Rainbow actually charged forward, stopping just short of the Princess and shouting "What do you mean 'nothing'!"

Rarity sheepishly stepped forward, pulling Rainbow back gently. "Please relax, dear. This means the Princess has it covered, right?" Rarity gave a false smile to Celestia, who only shot it down with a shake of her head.

"I wish I could say as much, but you all deserve to know the truth. There's nothing we can do, I'd have gone after Twilight myself otherwise"

"See? This is what I was talking about!" Spike shouted from the corner he'd chosen to take as his seat.

"Spike!" Celestia said warningly, quieting him. He kept up a constant shallow glare, which the Princess either didn't notice, or didn't care about.

Fluttershy floated close next, asking anxiously "Um... Sorry to contradict, but what about the Elements? Those always work"

With a gentle nod, understanding who she now spoke to, Celestia gesturedFluttershy down, who abliged. Celestia looked to the room she'd exited moments before, and witha quick wave of her horn, drew out from it a magnificently designed purple box, one that may have held jewels.

The group knew better, however. Celestia set the box down on the ground, swinging the top open to reveal five intricately designed necklaces, each with a gemstone matching one of the group's cutie marks. The centerpiece was a beautiful golden tiara, with a magenta star donned on the top. One never forgot the Elements of Harmony.

Another flick of the horn, and each necklace vanished from their place in the box, and reappeared on their corresponding masters. Pinkie in particular gave an "Oooh!" of excitement. She began bouncing happily once more, asking "Are we ready now? Are we ready now?"

"Hold on just a moment" Celestia quickly said.

Pinkie froze mid-jump, stopping instantly in the air and neither coming up or going back down. Rarity and Applejack exchanged quick looks between themselves at this, but simply waved the Princess on.

"I recommend you don't take them off" The Princess warned. While Rainbow Dash looked ready to charge off with renewed spirit, Celestia quickly cleared her throat, drawing the group's attention from their Elements back to her. "Aren't you forgetting someone?"

Their faces fell to the remaining tiara, laying in the box without its master.

"What Twilight wears is the Element of Sin, and so long as she wears it, she'll only get angrier" The Princess explained. "It was a byproduct of the Elements of Harmony... I won't go into detail. What you need to know is that as long as you wear your own Elements, you'll be safe from its effects"

Rarity casually cleared her throat, giving her Element a quick polish with her hoof. "If that's the case, why can't we just force Twilight to wear her own?"

The Princess gave a quiet smile. "If you'd like to try, be my guest". Normally she'd not be sarcastic on such a serious matter, though it was the very seriousness of it that made Rarity realize the truth behind those words. They had a better chance of teaching Winona to talk. The same problem unfortunately arose at the idea of stripping Twilight of the blue gemstone. "I couldn't ask any of you to put yourselves in that kind of danger"

"So what?" Rainbow asked, almost taking off into the air again before her restrained wing reminded her otherwise. "She can't stop us all!"

"That is not for you to decide!" Celestia's voice was suddenly harsh, quieting their protests. "As much as I may wish it, you are still my subjects, and I will not allow you to do something so dangerous"

"That's not what you were sayin' when your sister was on the loose, or when Discord was destroyin' everything!" Applejack actually shouted, much to the surprise of everyone.

Fluttershy stepped up beside her, giving Applejack several gentle pulls back. "Maybe we should trust the Princess on this..."

"That would be for the best" Celestia stepped back from the group, trying to calm herself some. The kind motherly princess facade worked on Twilight, but she still had a job to uphold. "Discord didn't hate you, after all... Listen to me. As Princess of this land, I do decree that you five are forbidden to reenter the Everfree forest until this situation has been dealt with!"

This received yet another resounding "What!" from the group. "But you're going to go stop her yourself, right?" Pinkie asked, in a panic.

"What would happen if I did? I can't defeat Twilight, not as she is now!What would I do? Imprison her? Banish her? Trap her in the moon as I did to Luna?" The Princess's voice had broken into a yell. While Fluttershy would have loved taking the opportunity to cower, to hide herself away from this anger, now was not the time to show weakness. She, like the others, stood proudly, meeting the Princess's gaze with unwavering confidence. Celestia turned from the group, scanning through many of the books aligning the shelves, but not really taking in the meaning of any.

"She's only a girl; she has parents in the very same city as me, and friends like you in this town. How could I?" Now, even Pinkie could only stand in silence. There was nothing that could be said. "I did what needed to be done to Luna, because she threatened us all. I only hope Twilight doesn't go down the same path"

Applejack's voice perked up, on the verge of desperation. "Please, miss, there has to be something-"

"No, my little pony, I'm sorry, but that's just it. I hope Twilight can simply remain as she is, even if she must be forever enraged. If she makes me go against her... I don't think I can bring myself to stop her" With a sigh, Celestia turned back to the group. It pained her very core to see the crushed looks on their faces.

With nothing more to say, Celestia turned to head for the door. "I trust you'll all be sure to write if Twilight returns with any more trouble. Come along now Spike" Celestia only just stepped outside when it became apparent thatthe familiar patter of feet wasn't heard. She turned to see Spike who wasstill standing inside with the others, justas shocked as they were -if not more. At the very base of it, he seemedembarrassed.

"I... your highness, I should really stay and look after the place..."

"Spike, come along. I have other students who'd love an assistant like you. Wouldn't you like to live in the palace again?"

"What about the Library, who's going to look after it?"

"It was standing just fine before you started living here. Come along now" Celestia gave an impatient tap of the hoof. She knew what he wanted, even if he couldn't say it. Even now, it pained her to know she couldn't allow it, for the dragon's sake.

"But... maybe I should collect her things. And mine too, we settled in here and everything..." Spike was by now rocking back and forth on his heels, like a child scolded by his mother.

"Spike, this is only going to hurt more if you-"

It was Rarity who spoke up to defend the baby dragon. "Please, your highness" She started, giving Spike a few gentle pats on the back with her hoof. "I think he should have the chance to say goodbye to the old place, don't you? He has lived here for two years now"

Spike and Rarity exchanged a look, as did Rarity and Celestia. It would only end badly either way, and finally the Alicorn let outa sigh. "Fine, Spike, you have a week here. I'll be sending someone to collect you for Canterlot then and not a moment after"

In an instant, the Princess was out of sight, flying off through the sky back to her home. The group stood in quiet shock, the only sound being Rarity's murmured promises to Spike to look after him for the week.

Then, Rainbow Dash turned to Applejack, yelling "Great plan! Really, great! We're never going to see Twilight again because you wanted to see the Princess!"

"Ooh... What are we going to do..." Fluttershy floated quietly up, deep in thought, searching for a way out that didn't exist. "What would Twilight do if she were here?"

Applejack finally turned to the others, revealing a few stray tears that had managed to get free and show themselves. "She'd listen to the Princess"

-

So, for a full week, that's what happened.

Each of the group had at least attempted to return to their homes, each went back to their lives, for it was all they could do now. They'd gotten by just fine before Twilight had appeared in town with her little baby dragon andthey could certainly get on without her.

That was the belief at first, anyway.

But it wasn't the same. In truth, the little gang, the six of them, they knew each other, as everyone in Ponyville did, but had never quite spent such time together, grown such bonds without their little egghead.

So, they stuck together, as best they could. Rainbow Dash, with a burnt wing, couldn't return to her home without help, and it quickly became apparent that needing someone's help to get into and leave her cloud house was too much of a hassle. So, she chose to stay in the Library with Spike.

The same went for the others; Rarity's home had taken the most burn damage of all, and she was quick to dub it unlivable, choosing to live within the Library and watch over Spike. Fluttershy and Applejack's homes were much the same, much each less burned than Carousel Boutique had been, but both quick to decide that they'd rather live in the Library for the time being. Even if not for the reasons they'd admit.

Pinkie Pie, on the other hand, was the only one of them that had come by choice, and had chosen to bunk with her friends out of sheer loyalty and the knowledge that she could cheer them up whenever needed. It proved to be almost all the time.

It was during one of these days within the following week that it was decided that achange was needed, and the decision came from an unusual, though not unexpected place. It was just approaching sundown, the day before Spike's final goodbye.

"Poor boy's been working himself to death" Rarity lay atop what had once been Twilight's bed, looking down over the main room of the Library.

"Well, he did lose his mommy" Pinkie replied from her spot. She'd taken a number of the available sleeping bags, brought individually by the others, and stacked them all onto one spot where she could bounce up and down on them for fun.

"Twilight wasn't Spike's mommy" Rainbow murmured under her breath. She was laying her back, slightly curled within Spike's bed. It looked incredibly uncomfortable, though it left her in a good position to look through whatever book she'd found interest in. On cue, she tossed 'Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone' over her shoulder, onto the quickly growing heap of books she'd been trying to reread to take her mind off things. They weren't working.

"Well maybe not" Pinkie gave one final powerful bounce, launching herself from her spot up to the second level, where she landed beside Rarity and promptly launched the unicorn off the bed. "But he didlose his real mommy, didn't he? When he was little egg. I bet I'd be sad if I lost my mommy as an egg"

Rarity picked herself up from the woodenfloor, rubbing the new pained lump on her head. "And what, do tell-" she hissed at Pinkie, who turned from pink to red at the realization of what she'd done. "Does that have to do with Spike overworking himself?"

Pinkie thought to herself for a few moments, rubbing her chin with herhoof before resuming her bouncing, now on the bed. "That probably has to do more with Twilight"

"Ya think?" Rainbow asked smugly, just as the door downstairs received a few quick knocks. She along with Pinkie looked to Rarity, who had only just stood up properly.

"Oh, don't get up, I've got it" She growled sarcastically, hurrying down to the door.

Rarity had only just reached for the handle when it slammed open, giving her a quick smack to the face and knocking her out of the way. "We're back!" Applejack announced, trotting inside with a bag set up over her back and a Fluttershy following not far behind, a box clenched in the pegasus' teeth.

Pinkie hopped down from the landing, hurrying over to Fluttershy to take the box from her; a delivery of sweets she'd ordered from everyone, for a minor goodbye party at best.

"Where's Rarity?" Fluttershy asked once her mouth was free. Pinkie hurried back to the center of the room, setting down the box there.

A groan came in response, and Fluttershy stepped out of the way while Applejack shut the front door, bringing the pained Rarity back into view. "Oops... sorry hun" Applejack chuckled, lending a hoof to help the unicorn up. With a flick of the head, she opened the bag around her body and grabbed a brush from within, setting it down before the dazed unicorn.

"I am never sharing a roof with you again" Rarity hissed, gaining only a chuckle from Applejack, who hurried back over to Fluttershy. She reached in once more, this time pulling a framed picture out from the bag and handing it to Fluttershy, giving a quick wave of the head up to the second floor landing.

Understandingly, Fluttershy took the picture and flew up to the second floor, giving Rainbow a few quick nudges to draw her attention before setting the picture down in her lap. "We thought it might cheer you up, since-"

Rainbow took only one glance at the frame before half-shouting "You guys went in my house?" In surprise. The picture was a signed one she normally kept at her bedside, of the Wonderbolts formation.

"Well no, it was just me. Applejack couldn't reach" Fluttershy clarified, not fully understanding. It was probably a good thing she did, Rainbow seemed less than happy about this little fact.

Pinkie Pie hopped her way up onto the landing, offering first a cupcake to Rainbow. The pegasus, however, only gave a nod of thanks to Fluttershy and set the picture down on the floor, face-down, before turning over in the basket that was Spike's bed and facing away. With a huff, Pinkie redirected the cupcake to Fluttershy, who gave only a disappointed sigh at the sight of Rainbow and floated back down to the others without notice of Pinkie.

"Maybe we should do something special, it being Spike's last day and all..." Applejack suggested, quietly waving Pinkie off when the party-pony tried the same with her.

Spike's voice drew their attention, coming from the kitchen door. "Don't bother" The baby dragon muttered. He looked genuinely annoyed by the sight of all of them, and for once, Rarity's presence did nothing to cheer him up. Spike hurried over through the room, towards the basement doorway.

"Spike, please, we might never see you again" Rarity pleaded, ignoring Pinkie's attempts to shove that same cupcake into her face as well.

"I'm not in the mood" Spike replied sternly before disappearing through the basement door, slamming it behind him. A soft click could be heard as he locked it from his end.

Rarity glanced between the group, up to Rainbow Dash who had already chosen now as bed time, and finally the door Spike had locked himself behind. "Let's just go to bed" Rarity finally huffed, hurrying up the ladder. She ignored the cyan lump in the basket that was Rainbow, and flung herself beneath Twilight's sheets.

Pinkie, finally giving up with a huff of her own, stuffed the treats back into the box they'd been delivered in and laid herself down onto the pile of sleeping bags she'd made.

"Oh, bedtime already?" Fluttershy asked uncertainly, a hint of sadness in her voice. With some reluctance, she lifted herself up, flying around to the different light sources keeping the Library brightly lit, and blowing each out.

Applejack cautiously approached Pinkie's pile of sleeping bags, intent on getting her own. It was only when she reached out to take hers and she suddenly heard a loud, almost rabid growl from Pinkie that she realized that she wasn't getting it. 'Some goodbye party' Applejack thought sarcastically, glancing up to Fluttershy. "Tell Rarity to make room, share the bed with her for the night"

"Are you sure? What about you?"

"Ain't the first time I slept on the floor, won't be the last" Applejack gave a final nod of certainty, and with some wonder on her face, Fluttershy flew out of sight to take a spot next to Rarity.

Now in total darkness, Applejack laid herself down on the floor, eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness. "So, this is how our last day together's gonna be, huh?" She asked loudly, knowing that despite their attempts to sleep, everyone could hear her. "I ain't stupid. This is the last time we're going to see each other... We can try all we want to pretend, but it'll never be the same, will it? And this is how y'all want to spend our last night?" Applejack felt a pillow hit her, thrown by someone unseen in the darkness. "Fine. Goodnight, and good riddance" A single tear broke free as she laid her head down for the night.