• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 3,438 Views, 43 Comments

Wrath - FishyCrackers431



No one is perfect. Everyone has their quirks. Some are more dangerous than others.

  • ...
10
 43
 3,438

Sin

Chapter 1: Sin

sin, noun: any reprehensible or regrettable action, behavior, or lapse

-

"Are we there yet?" Spike asked for what must have been the tenth time at least. He let out a yawn following that.

He'd been riding on his mentor's back for most of the day while she trotted through the Everfree Forest. Twilight Sparkle, she who could be called the best unicorn in Ponyville, and to Spike, the closest thing he had to a mother and sister all in one.

About an hour earlier he'd been entrusted with reading the map, though it quickly became apparent that they may as well have spun around in circles and wandered off wherever they ended up aiming. It didn't help that Spike had woken up early to get everything ready, and he'd been half asleep for most of the trip. The forest was thick and threatening as ever, even in the noon light. Perhaps even moreso- everything was awake now.

"I don't know" She answered quickly, stopping in front of a widely running river, "Map". This path should have been so easy to find, even if most of it had been improvised the last time she came this way. Twilight gave a nod of thanks when Spike pulled the map out of their pack into view.

Twilight had only just taken hold of the map with her magic and only barely managed to get a clean look at it when a splash was heard from the river, followed by a shadow suddenly stretching up before her. Twilight lowered the map to look up at the figure. Most other ponies would have run at the sight, yet Twilight knew better.

The purple-scaled Sea Serpent near immediately grinned from ear to ear. "Ah hello! I remember you, it's been such a long time! Why, I haven't seen you since..." The sea serpent trailed off, deep in thought. He remained still in the water, thinking it over, while Twilight remained silent, waiting for him to continue for a time.

Eventually, after a few shrugs exchanged between Twilight and Spike, she finally spoke. "Right... well, it's good to see you too"

"Yes of course, oh it's just been so long!" The sea serpent squealed in delight, twisting his body down until he was on eye-level with the mare. "Tell me, is that friend of yours with you? She who was so kind to repair my mustache?" He took the moment to stroke the right end of said mustache, which had long ago grown back in properly and held no trace of the old purple that had replaced it.

"Well, no actually..." Twilight started. "But could you help us across again?"

"Of course, of course!" The serpent twisted back away from her, disappearing into the river. Seconds later, it returned to view, stretching its body of the surface of the water to provide a path for her while still remaining and gleeful as ever.

"Thank you" The mare said, returning her map to its original place in her pack and stepping onto the Serpent's body. She only just taken a few steps forward when she noticed the serpent staring at her. "Something wrong?"

The serpent broke his gaze, smiling sheepishly again before leaning in and referring to her back. "Oh, it's nothing, it's just... It appears you've picked up one of my cousins along the way"

It took Twilight a moment or so to realize what he meant, and she had to strain her neck to look back and see Spike had fallen asleep where he sat. She gave him a few gentle shakes to wake him before continuing along the serpent's body. Twilight only just stepped onto land on the other side when Spike finally yawned and sat up.

Twilight turned to show her appreciation to the serpent, who seemed eager and waiting, but not for her thanks. "If you wouldn't mind..." He started, before disappearing beneath the water. Seconds later, he returned to the surface, a bubble of air in his hand, which he offered forward. Rarity's tail was suspended within it. The serpent had obviously been doing everything he could to take care of it, as the tail looked as fresh as the day it'd been removed.

The serpent sat the bubble down in front of Twilight, popping it with one of his claws. "I'm sure your friend would like it back. Could you return this for me?" While Twilight was reluctant by the very thought of carrying it along with her, Spike literally jumped from his seat at the idea.

He took the tail in his arms, hugging it to himself and returned to his seat on Twilight's back, while she asked the serpent "How did you do that? I mean, keep it so well preserved; what was that bubble?"

The serpent could only let out a hearty laugh at this. "Oh dearie" He twisted himself around once more until he was on her level, this time laying his head on the edge of the water. "You ponies are not the only ones with magic. I could do things you've never dreamed of" Before she could inquire further, the serpent gave Twilight a gentle push. "Come now, you mustn't be late wherever you're going. It's been great seeing you again. Don't be a stranger!" And without another word, he pulled himself back and disappeared beneath the waters once more.

Twilight stood in silence, not sure what to make of this. She'd read about sea serpents after the first time she'd met this one. Whether they truly had any magic was unknown, though they did manage quite a few obscure feats. "What do you think, Spike?" She asked, looking over her shoulder. Spike had once again drifted off to sleep, this time hugging the tuft of tail to him.

Shaking the thoughts from her mind, Twilight pulled the map from her pack and returned on her way.


The sun, thankfully, remained mostly high in the sky for the rest of their trip. In fact, Twilight hadn't even needed to check the sun until she and her faithful assistant were walking up to the old abandoned ruins.

A temple, by the look of it, with a mighty tower just off to the side. "So, this is where you fought Nightmare Moon?" Spike asked, actually looking somewhat genuinely interested.

"Well, when you say it like that, it sounds like I did it on my own" Twilight chuckled, bringing them up to the front.

Spike stepped off her back and pushed the main door open, revealing the inner building. "Well they couldn't have done it without you, right? You're the hero"

"Spike, stop" Twilight answered him bashfully. He hadn't been there, but he did love hearing the story of how she and the rest of the gang had defeated Nightmare Moon.

"Come on, you have to admit it's cool!" He answered, helping her to let down the pack she had strapped over her side. Twilight had, as usual, insisted on bringing more than was necessary. They'd come to study the ruins; a task Twilight had wanted to do quite some time ago, though she had been a bit preoccupied last time she'd been here.

When Twilight grabbed hold of the pack with her magic, letting it down herself, he let go.

"Alright, I wont argue with that. Go take a look around if you want, I'll get everything set up"

Spike, needing no further instruction, rushed up the backmost stairway, leading up to the tower. It was much taller than it had seemed on the outside, and took him a fair few minutes to climb. When he emerged, Spike saw what could have been once called a beautiful ballroom. It had a hint of royalty about it, even if it was abandoned. Even the light pouring in through the windows seemed to shine just right to make the place feel important.

Still, these were all features Spike had seen plenty of back in Canterlot. If it were not for the look of wear and the bits of rubble spread throughout the room, he'd be sourly disappointed.

"Wow, I'm bored already..." He mumbled to himself, stepping up onto the central stand. Truth be told, he had no idea what he'd be finding here, but this certainly wasn't it. With a sigh, Spike sat back onto the stone, only to jump up a second later, letting out a yelp.

"Spike, what was that?" He heard Twilight calling for him. For these few seconds at least, he could ignore it.

He turned to look on the ground where he'd sat. There were several pieces of broken glass on the ground; a few connected to what looked like several torn bits of what was once a blue-black strap. But all of that was nothing compared to that which lie in the center.

A jewel, perfectly round in shape. Dull blue in color, and even in the light available, it seemed to let off some sort of glow. Then the final piece that sent a shiver down his tail. On the face of the jewel facing Spike, was what looked to be an eye carved into it.

Spike took it carefully in his hand, lifting it to eye level. It let off a feeling he hadn't felt since Twilight had strapped Rainbow Dash's Element around his neck.

"Spike?"

It looked good though, better than most jewels. In fact, the longer he stared, the more appealing it seemed to be. Well, Rarity could keep his Fire Ruby, but this...

He raised it to his mouth and took a bite out of the jewel. Or so he tried, at least. Spike had never before found something, let alone a gem that he couldn't bite through. This, however, was the first, and not expecting it, Spike felt one of his teeth chip against the jewel.

"Ow!" He hissed, pulling the gem from his mouth and lightly rubbing his cheek.

"Spike!" Twilight finally appeared, running up the stairway. She dashed over to him, seeing him in pain. "Spike, what happened, are you okay?"

Spike only shook his head lightly, holding the jewel out to her. Twilight stared at it for a moment, before turning her attention back to her loyal assistant. "Open up" She ordered.

While that was the last thing he wanted to do, Spike took a deep breath and opened his mouth wide for her to see. Yes, just as she'd expected, one of his front teeth had chipped. "Spike, how did you manage that..." She mumbled, now trying to push him back over to the stairs. "Come on, let's go back down, I think I have something for the pain..."

"Twi'hight" Spike mumbled through a mostly closed mouth, stopping her. He held the jewel out in front of him again, and this time it took all of a few seconds for Twilight to put two and two together.

She lifted it from his grasp with her horn, holding it close so that the eye was staring at her. Hadn't she seen this before? Maybe not in this form, but undoubtedly, she'd felt this same presence before. It gave off the magical feel of the Elements of Harmony, but with a pinch of... menace.

Twilight lifted her head to look back over the tower. A gem like this that had even managed to break one of Spike's teeth, giving off a dark feeling of magic, in the same place where two years ago she'd helped to defeat Nightmare Moon once and for all. Yes, Twilight had been looking forward to studying these ruins, but that would just have to wait for another time.

"Spike, can you handle the pain for a little while? I think we should head back home. Quickly. Princess Celestia needs to hear about this"