• Published 6th Oct 2013
  • 2,298 Views, 28 Comments

Scootaloo's Life - Shimmering Honor



The morning of the most important day in Scootaloo's live which leads to a startling discovery and an awkward situation

  • ...
3
 28
 2,298

The Surprise an the Truth

“Well to be truthful, I see you more as a mother than a sister.” Scootaloo said abruptly, this caused Rainbow to stop flapping, and fall a small way before she regained her senses.

“A mother? are you sure Squirt?” Rainbow asked, a tear forming in her eyes, she had always wanted a filly of her own, yet had never found the right colt to be with, and secretly, she often saw Scoot more as a daughter than a sister.

“Yeah, as you know, I never knew my parents, and you showed me so much love and care it felt wrong to call you sister, even though I kept at it.” She replied, looking over at Rainbow, they both had tears rolling down their faces, being blown off by the wind.

“Scootaloo… I never knew….” Rainbow started but resorted to flying over to Scootaloo and giving her a very awkward inflight hug. When she let go she carried on speaking. “I always saw you more of a daughter anyway… I always wanted to have a filly of my own, and then this awesome little filly came into my life. I just wanted to take her and claim her for my own… that filly was you Scootaloo, you showed me what it felt like to actually love someone more than I could a friend or a colt. You showed me what it was like to be a mother,” Rainbow said, the tears freely falling down her face, matting her coat and being whipped away by the wind. Scootaloo just stared at her, lost for words.

The words had stayed in Rainbow Dash’s mind for the best part of a week, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she had to do something about it. But what?

“I’ve got it!” she yelled to nopony in particular and rummaged through her desk, the office in the Wonderbolt Academy had everything, trophies, medals, posters. Anything to do with the wonderbolts was in that office. Rainbow soon found the paper and quills and wrote a very long letter.

“THUNDER LANE!” She shouted, and the door burst open.

“Yes ma’am!” Thunder Lane saluted.

“Take this and post it.” She ordered and handed him the letter, he saluted and headed out the door.


Scootaloo had known something was wrong, she had seen Derpy and Dinky flying to and from Rainbow’s office all week. Rainbow had also been acting differently, when at home she seemed distant. When at the academy she would stay in her office most of the time or would rush off as soon as either of the mail ponies arrived.

They were both home, it was the weekend and the Rainbow had given everypony some time off.

“Rainbow, is everything okay?” Scootaloo asked.

“Err…” Came the reply.

“Dash, what's going on?” Scootaloo asked starting to get scared.

“You will find out soon enough Squirt.” Dash said and headed upstairs.


“Thank you Derpy, you don’t know how long I have been waiting for this letter.” Rainbow said excitedly, she tore the envelope open and took out the letter inside. “YESYESYEYSYESYESYES!!!!” She shouted.

“What’s so good Rainbow?” Derpy asked.

“I’ve done it, She’s mine now!” Rainbow said excitedly, and held the letter close to her heart.

“Who is your’s?” Came a new voice. Rainbow and Derpy looked around, standing in the door was Spitfire, her yellow coat shining and her mane was spiked as always.

“Spitfire, err..what brings you back here?” Rainbow asked, she quickly placed the letters in her desk.

“I should go…” Derpy said and left the room, Spitfire closed the door.

“How is being captain?” she asked Dash.

“Alright, I love the shows and the fame, the academy can get a little boring.” the cyan mare replied. “So what can I do for you?”

“Well I am actually here to talk to one of the cadets.” Spitfire said nervously and rubbed the back of her head with a hoof.

“About what?” Rainbow asked.

“I believe this one is my foal…” Spitfire blushed and looked down at the floor.

“Who… what?” Rainbow asked when a knock rang out from the door. Rainbow walked over and opened the door, Scootaloo was outside.

“Cadet Scootaloo, what is the matter?” Rainbow said professionally.

“Errr...well ma’am, I was wishing to talk to you in private.” Scootaloo replied.

“Let her in Dash.” Spitfire spoke up and Rainbow stood to the side. Scootaloo walked in and looked confused, Spitfire was blushing at her and Rainbow looked flustered.

“Ma’am’s what’s going on?” Scootaloo asked.

“Well…” Both older mares started.

“You first Dash.” Spitfire said and stepped back to emphasize her point.

“Well Scoot…I...err, I have adopted you…” She pulled out the papers from the desk and handed the adoption certificate to Scootaloo. She looked at it and the accompanying letter.


Dear Miss Dash,

I would like to congratulate you. Your application to adopt one Scootaloo was a success.

As of the date of receiving this letter, you and any future partners will be held responsible for her and her welfare….

Scootaloo dropped the letter.

“Mo...Mo….MOM!!” She ran forward and threw herself around Dash, she broke down into tears and muzzled into Rainbow’s chest.

“Adopted her?” Spitfire looked shocked.

“Yeah, shes an orphan.” Said Rainbow, Scoot still crying as she patted her neck.

“Well, Scootaloo is the one I came to see in fact.” Spitfire said, blushing even more.

“What!” Scootaloo was more surprised, an ex-Wonderbolt wanting to see her.

“Well, you see… I am her real mother.” Spitfire said, tears welling in her eyes.

“My real mom?” Scootaloo didn’t know what to do, here was Rainbow Dash, her idol, adopting her and now her so called ‘real mom’ had stepped out of the shadows.

“WHY...WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME!!!” Scootaloo screamed, Spitfire reeled back in shock.

“I...I...I never meant to… I… I lost you, I have been looking for so long.” Spitfire sat down on the ground and started to cry…


Spitfire was walking along Cloudsdale, her newborn foal tied to her back.

“You okay up there Scootaloo?” She asked, a little yawn replied followed by light snoring. “Mommy loves you Scoots.” Spitfire said and looked around and kissed Scootaloo’s forehead.

“Stop right there Miss!” Came a demanding voice… Spit looked around to see who it was, she felt a gust of wind and a tug on the straps on her chest, she spun around and nothing was there… she looked around frantically trying to find who had told her to stop.

But nothing.

“Who’s there?!” She shouted, but no reply.

“Must have been my imagination.” And she looked around to check Scootaloo.

“Scootaloo….Scootaloo...Where...wher…..WHERE’S MY SCOOTALOO!!!!” Spitfire screamed as her back was bare, Scootaloo had vanished.


“Thats what happened Scootaloo, I swear, I never forgot that day… I cried so much.” Spitfire finished in a heap on the floor, a large pool of tears covered the floor.

“So… I was foalnapped?” Scootaloo asked, shocked and upset.

“Yes baby, yes you were, I searched and searched and after five years, I couldn’t afford it, so I started doing little stunt shows to get some money… then I was asked to join the Wonderbolts. I Planned to save up every single bit I could and would get myself a very good Private detective...so I spent the last year looking for you… only to find out you had become a Wonderbolt.” Spitfire finished.

Scootaloo walked over to Spitfire.

“I am sorry for being mad at you, when I was in the orphanage, I never understood why anypony would abandon their foal… now I know why I was there.” Scootaloo said bravely, trying not to cry.

“So, does this mean that you want her back?” Asked Rainbow Dash, Spitfire looked up and saw the fear in Scootaloo’s eyes, fear she could lose her idol or her real mother.

“Thats up to Scootaloo.” Spitfire answered, Scootaloo looked between the two mares in front of her. Her mind racing with thoughts.

“I….err...I….”