• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 1,174 Views, 28 Comments

Mission Impossible? - bud467



Tread, a 15 year old earth pony is thrust back into civilian life after being wounded.

  • ...
6
 28
 1,174

The Delay

While waiting at the train station, Nur- I mean Miss. Warmheart , she insisted I call her Miss. instead of Nurse. Anyways, Miss. Warmheart and I had decided to have lunch together where the usual personal questions were asked, How’s your family, how did you get involved in the war, blah blah blah. That's when the rather bothersome question popped up.

"How did you get wounded?"

I was in mid chew when the question was asked. Suddenly I felt as if all the eyes in the cafe' were turned towards us. She didn't notice it but ponies were leaning in to hear better. I finished my bite and took a sip of my water. "You didn’t know?" She shook her head. She has a beautiful mane! "Are you sure you want to know?" she nodded, along with several other ponies who decide the question was directed towards them. I sighed and made myself comfortable.

"About a week ago, while the enemy artillery was rumbling, I was in my squad’s bunker, Charcoal my childhood friend was writing a letter at the desk. I couldn't sleep so I decided to wander up and down the trenches under Luna's beautiful moon to ponder life." More ponies were in the cafe' now. It had fallen silent. “That’s when I ran into my buddy Coil. We had just begun to talk and Charcoal had joined us when the artillery ceased."

Several ponies listening gasped. "We had paused, having suddenly taken concern. Then a whistle followed. Coil ran to an alarm bell, Charcoal woke our squad, and I ran down waking the other squads."
I paused and waved a hoof for a waitress. When one came over I asked "can I get this to go?" The mare nodded and ran into the kitchen to grab a to-go box. I looked back into the cafe'. A weather team of Pegasi had stopped by and had taken interest.

"Every pony was on their toes. Several ponies muttered their prayers and kissed pictures of their loved ones. Soon an irritated pony commented he couldn't see them. Down the line ponies began to agree until the pound of artillery was heard again. I turned to Charcoal and asked if artillery had been called in. He shook his head. When we both realized it we gave to order to take cover. However the artillery had stopped as soon as it started."
Several ponies had pulled their chairs closer to our table.

"Before we knew it, we were over run. We fought in the trenches until we had to fall back. I grabbed two wounded and dragged them to the hospital where they were treated then I ran back. My squad had joined me on my charge to the trenches when Trooves was shot." My voice was wavering. I put my head in my hooves then regained my composure. Several mares were crying. The waitress was leaning against our table; the food was boxed up also.

“We took the trenches back and began collecting the wounded. I had turned when I heard a thud. I realized it was a grenade and pushed my men down and that is when it exploded." Multiple gasps were heard including the waitress and Miss. Warmheart.
I stood up and stretched my legs and paid our bill. "That's the story on how I got a piece of Iron in my flank and ended up here so far." Some pony began to pound his hoofs on the floor and soon many of the ponies were joining him. I raised a hoof and shook it to acknowledge them and to stop them before the building fell down. I put the food box in my saddlebags and nudged Miss. Warmheart. "Let’s go. I am starting to get uncomfortable."

Turns out, the train had just arrived. We boarded and as soon as I reached my seat, I fell asleep.

The train sudden stop startled me out of my sleep. Miss. Warmheart had fallen asleep next to me. She is so cute. I should ask her to dinner tonight. I slid out from under her and trotted up to the front car to find myself face to face with an armed and angry pony.