• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 1,175 Views, 28 Comments

Mission Impossible? - bud467



Tread, a 15 year old earth pony is thrust back into civilian life after being wounded.

  • ...
6
 28
 1,175

A not-so-old friend

I yawned and slowly opened my eyes. I realized I was under a blanket of small pups, sleeping on top of me. I gently moved them off on me then grouped them together. I walked out of the cave they slept in and into the morning light. I sat on a log and took in the beauty of nature. Unguided and free. A smile crept upon my face and I laughed.

“What is it you find amusing?” I turned my neck and saw Rafe (The wolf) standing at the cave entrance. With the smile I shrugged. “Nature always excites me for no reason.” Rafe smiled and turned into the cave. “One moment.” I nodded and turned my attention back to the sunrise.

“Tread.” I turned and Rafe was standing with a female wolf. “Do not be alarmed, but you mane is a mess.” Rafe stated as his mate walked up and began to lick and clean my coat. My eyes widened as my inner instinct to run began to scream. I must have looked ridiculous because Rafe’ began to roar with laughter. “Now THAT is amusing.”

He walked over as my “cleaning” was finished and sat down next to me. “Our time together was interesting, Tread.” He looked into the morning sun. “But you should get home so your friends do not worry.” He turned his head and our eyes met, his those have seen and learned many things, mine that have seen many horrific things. I nodded and stood up. “Thank you Rafe for giving me knowledge and a place to stay last night.”

I flung my saddlebags onto my back and tightened the straps. “Follow my mate. She will show you out of the forest.” Rafe advised and began turning back into the cave. “You may visit anytime, Tread.” He smiled and walked back into the cave. A warm body brushed against mine and I look down. The wolf, one of Rafe’s mates, whined and began into the forest.

“Thank you for showing me into the forest.” I bowed and the wolf nodded before running back into the Everfree. I looked at the sun and sighed Well that took about 20 minutes. I shook my head and began to make my way back to Ponyville. As I began passing other ponies, I greeted several and continued my way to the library. I passed Applejack at the apple cart and after a little small talk I bought an apple which I happily munched on as I finished the rest of the way to the library.

I noted that Twilight was passed out on the couch as I made my way into the bathroom to take a shower. Quietly closing the door, I removed my saddlebag and turned on the shower and waited for it to warm up. I stepped in and sighed as the warm water eased and relaxed my muscles. Then I began the meticulous task of cleaning wolf saliva and dirt from my coat.

I turned the water off and shook my body to get any excess water off. I stepped out onto the mat and looked up. “T-Tread!” I was tackled by an ecstatic lavender mare whom had just woken up. “T-Twilight.” My face was beginning to warm up. “OH my gosh. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and I were so worried when you didn’t return.”

“Twilight!”

“But then we got your letter from the bird an-“

“ TWILIGHT!”

She stopped and realized where she was sitting. She stood up immediately and her face turned a shade of red I didn’t know existed. “S-Sorry.” I smiled flipped myself over and stood up. “No harm done.” I dried myself off, picked up my saddlebags with my teeth and walked into the main room. That’s when I heard a knock. I opened the door. Oh boy… “Hello Tread.”

So here we are… almost five minutes after I opened the door. “Have you been getting in any fights recently?” Miss Warmheart asked as she sipped on her tea. Why is she back? I shook my head and put on a fake smile. “I am not stupid.” I shot her a piercing gaze. “You’re here because of me.” She sighed and nodded. “Yes and no. I was offered to work at the hospital here. Until I get a place of my own, I will be staying with my aunt, Nurse Redheart.”
“Oh! Nurse Warmheart!” Twilight walked into the room. She REALLY washed. Our eyes met and I smiled. Miss Warmheart laughed at Twilights surprise. “Hello Twilight Sparkle.” She smiled and Twilight laughed and nodded. “I just wasn’t expecting anypony.” She said as she raised a hoof to emphasize that point.


I rose out of my chair and smiled. “If you excuse me ladies, I would like to go visit a friend.” The two girls nodded, Twilight with a slight frown on her face. I turned and walked out of the library and began my way to Rafe, seeing as I felt I needed some advice.

“So, Tread.” Rafe was sitting across from me outside the cave almost 20 minutes later. “You like several females…that is the message you are trying to explain. Am I right?” I sighed and nodded “Yes. I don’t know how to deal with the feelings and emotions that come with it.” I hung my head somewhat in depression and defeat. Then a pup seemed to sense my emotions and snuggled up to me. It looked up to and met my eyes. I nearly fell prey to his begging eyes but I managed to pull out of the piercing gaze just as the pup tackled me.

“So.” Twilight opened a cabinet and levitated out a cup and bowl. “You’re going to be working at the Ponyville hospital?” she asked as she poured some of the tea and soup Tread had made not long ago. Nurse Warmheart nodded and sipped on her tea. “Yes I am staying with my aunt Nurse Redheart, until I get a place of my own.” Twilights eyebrows rose with interest. “Oh really? I guess I will see you around then.” She smiled as she sat down and blew on the spoonful of soup she levitated up. Nurse Warmheart smiled and giggled a bit. “I guess so.” Then a mischievous smile played across her snout. She leaned forward and placed her two forehooves together. “So what’s been going on with Tread?” Twilight smiled. Let the Gossip begin.

AN: Thanks to Coal Buck who is letting me use Rafe from his story! been meaning to put that on here