• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 2,189 Views, 61 Comments

The Rock - DinoDenver



Making dresses for Princess Celestia and Princess Luna is like a dream come true for Rarity. But what will bring her obsession with completing this task?

  • ...
3
 61
 2,189

Chapter 4: Ray of hope

“Hello, Rarity.” She turned around and took two steps back. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. “Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.” Spike smiled.

“Spike?! But, how, you're dead?” She couldn't believe her eyes.

“Don't be silly, Rarity.” Spike's voice was calm and confident. “Do I look dead to you?”

“Well, you do have a point there, darling.” She was calming down slowly. “But I remember your funeral, and how I gave you that necklace.” She looked at this big, beautiful heart-shaped ruby on Spike's chest.

“Well, that might be true, but I want to give you something.”

“What is it, Spikey?”

“Well, it's not much, I saved some bits and bought a little something for you some time ago. Go to Twilight, on bookshelf next to my basket, on lowest shelf there is a book entitled The Art of Sleeping. Behind that book you'll find your present.”

“You really shouldn't have, darling.” Rarity was confused, she didn't know what was happening. But then again, Spike was there, it wasn't bad.

“I wanted to. But I have one request, Rarity.”

“Anything, darling.” Spike took few steps toward her, he was close. Her heart was beating faster. He bent a little, and looked her in eyes. Now her heart was racing.

“Rarity, wake up.” Spike said softly.

She sprang to her hooves. Loud hiss clearly indicated, that Opalescence was less than happy about this situation, but Rarity didn't pay attention to that. She was in her bedroom, it was already morning.

“J-just a dream...?” She said to herself with a sight of disappointment. “But it felt so real...”

She looked at night table, at Spike's picture. Moments later she was outside, galloping as fast as she could.

***

Handle lighted up with azure magic and door to library were opened. Right after that Rarity went inside.

“Hello! Anypony Home?” She was already in center of main hall. "Twilight, darling, where are you?"

“I'm upstairs!” Rarity heard muffled voice coming out from bedroom.

Twilight was at her desk, making checklist for that day. When Rarity entered the room she raised her head.

“Hello, Rarity! What brings you here?”

“Twilight, I just had a dream...” White mare approached her friend. “But it felt so... realistic. And... Spike was there.” Twilight stopped her work and turned around to face Rarity. “He said to me that he had a present for me, hidden behind one of the books.”

“And what book would that be?” From look on Twilight's face Rarity judged, that she's got her attention.

“The title was The Art of Sleeping.” Twilight's eyes opened wider.

“Well... we have this book in library... and it was one of the few Spike had interest in.” Rarity could feel her heart beating faster. “I even allowed him keep it on bookshelf close to his basket.” They approached bookshelf and Twilight used her lavender magic to levitate one of the books, it was a really thick one to be honest. “After all, Spike read it countless times and I wasn't planning to do so even once.”

But Rarity stopped listening as soon as Twilight lifted the book. Her whole attention was absorbed by hole that book left on the shelf.

Rarity's horn glowed and moments later a neat looking package showed up. Her heartbeat was even faster now. Twilight stopped talking. Silence filled the room, as two ponies just stared on levitating package.

“Open it up, Rarity!” Twilight didn't even try to hide her impatience.

Rarity responded with unpacking her present. It was gold bracelet, with five little red rubies.

“It's beautiful...” Rarity was lost for words. Dragons sure have an eye when it comes to jewelery. But just how long was Spike saving up to buy that?

Two friends were staring at this fine piece of art for few whole minutes. Twilight was first to break the silence.

“Rarity, did you say that in your dream... Spike told you about it?

“Y-yes! Do you think that...” She looked in Twilight's eyes. “That.. maybe... there is a chance that Spike is alive somewhere? Maybe we can bring him back?” Her tone was a mixture of hope and supplication.

“M-maybe...” Spark of hope ignited fire also in Twilight's heart. “We should go and ask Princess Celestia as soon as possible!”

She didn't need to say this twice to Rarity. Two friends almost immediately started to gallop. Next stop: Canterlot.

***

Two mares were galloping relentlessly, although there were times Rarity wished, that they'd go by train, what's done is done. After few hours they got to Canterlot.

It was a good thing, that she was with Twilight, because guards let them go to princess without unnecessary explanations. Finally, they got to the throne room.

“Princess!” Two friends almost yelled when they galloped into the room right after opening the door.

“Twilight and Rarity.” Said Princess while putting down her banana. “What brings you girls to me?”

Two mares were gasping for breath after galloping for such a great distance. They were exhausted, Rarity felt like her lungs and muscles were burning, Twilight was soaked wet with sweat, as were Rarity. But few moments later they started explaining. They told princess about Rarity's dream, and how they found present behind the book. Rarity raised her front leg and showed bracelet to Princess Celestia.

“I see, so there is possibility, that we will be able to bring Spike back.” Twilight and Rarity looked at each other, with hope and happiness on their faces. So even Princess Celestia thinks so! “Let's go, girls, follow me!”

Celestia started to run, and two other mares followed her. Soon they arrived at Canterlot archives. Round stairs were leading them deeper and deeper.

“It's here, girls!” Rarity heard Princess Celestia's voice, as she entered the door.

At last they stopped going downstairs. Part of the reason being that stairs have ended. Twilight and Rarity followed Princess Celestia to the chamber.

Few torches were lit by Celestia's magic. She looked on old bookshelf, thing was looking like it could fall apart if someone would touch it. It looked like it could fall apart event without anypony's help.

Only few books were there, but each one of them was as thick as a brick. And most likely as old as Canterlot, if not even older. Celestia used her magic to pick up one of them, which looked like the thickest and oldest one, and started to look for something. She was going through pages, while Rarity and Twilight were waiting in anticipation. Rarity's heart was racing. Full of hope, she was happy. Spike will come back, these few past days will be nothing more but a bad dream.

“Oh my! In name of Equestria!” Princess Celestia gasped.

“What is it princess?!” Asked Twilight.

“Will we be able to bring Spikey back?” Rarity's eyes were glowing.

“According to this ancient book: –“ started princess Celestia while facing two mares, “– no, Spike is dead and nothing can bring him back to live. Remarkable!”

Room was filled by silence, both friends were shocked. All Rarity's hope was crushed, she felt like crying. Twilight expression changed from shocked to pissed off one.

“This is anything BUT remarkable! Princess, what is the meaning of this?!” Twilight was really mad. “You bring us all the way down here after we almost died from galloping from Ponyville just to tell us this bu– Yeah, just teleport away, classic Celestia.“ Twilight, angry and helpless, just sat there and looked at the floor.

Two mares were now alone, they spent some time not talking at all. After few minutes Twilight started reading these books in hope of finding something useful, but it was all in vain. Tired and powerless two friends just went back to Ponyville, but this time they decided to go by train.

***

They were traveling in silence. Twilight was looking through the window. Rarity was looking at her bracelet, she was thinking about Spike. One tear dropped on bracelet's red ruby.

“I refuse to acknowledge that.” Stated Rarity silently. “I don't care what Celestia said, I don't believe, I won't believe it.”

Twilight looked at her friend, but didn't say anything. They weren't talking for rest of the ride.

***

The, now setting down, sun reminded Rarity about Princess Celestia and fruitless trip to Canterlot. Just in time to change her mood from sad to annoyed one. She already parted with Twilight and was almost at her boutique.

She locked the door, and went straight to bathroom. She wanted to take a bath. She needed to get a bath. Long and relaxing one at that.

Hot water started to fill up the bath-tub. Rarity picked up couple flasks with relaxing bath salts and poured some of them into the water. Then she used her magic to take off bracelet. She looked at it for a while with watery eyes before levitating it to bedroom and putting it on night table.

Few moments later she slowly got into the tub and lied down with only her head above water. She closed her eyes and stayed like that for good half an hour, but it didn't help her relax. She was thinking about what happened today. Sad and irritated she decided it will be better to just get shower, brush her teeth and go to bed.

***

She lied down in bed and turned to face night table. She looked at Spike's picture and at the beautiful bracelet that was his final gift for her.

“Do not worry, Spikey.” She heard her own voice. “I don't care what princess told us, I'm not giving up on you.”

But the truth was, that she wasn't sure what to do now. ”Well, I'll figure out something tomorrow.” She thought to herself before taking three sips of Zecora's medicine and falling asleep almost immediately after.