• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 2,189 Views, 61 Comments

The Rock - DinoDenver



Making dresses for Princess Celestia and Princess Luna is like a dream come true for Rarity. But what will bring her obsession with completing this task?

  • ...
3
 61
 2,189

Chapter 1: Most important task so far

It was just another ordinary day at Carousel Boutique. Rarity was working on one of her new designs and everything was going smoothly. She was just about to finish when doorbell rang, so she turned around to welcome her customer.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique.” She recited her shop's slogan right before her jaw dropped almost all the way to the floor.

“Good morning, dear Rarity.” Rarity couldn't believe her eyes. The one standing at her shop's entrance was Princess Celestia herself. It took few seconds before Rarity regained her composure.

“Princess Celestia!” She said much louder than she wanted to. “What brings you to my shop?”

“Well Rarity, I wanted to order some dresses, if it is okay with you.” Said Princess smiling. Rarity didn't know what to answer, or rather she was too nervous to say anything at that moment. To have Princess Celestia come to her boutique PERSONALLY! And on top of that she wants to place an order! It was like a dream come true.

“As you know Grand Galloping Gala is going to take place soon, –” Princess continued. “– and after what you showed us last year I would be more than delighted if you could make a dress for me and my little sister.” After looking around Princess Celestia lowered her voice and almost whispered to Rarity's ear: “Princess Luna wouldn't admit it, but she was begging me to come here for quite some time now, she really is excited about this.” Princess straightened up. “Could you do that for us, dear?”

“Of course!” That question was what Rarity needed to come back to reality. “Of course I'll do it Princess! It will be an honor!” Sparkles in her eyes clearly showed, that she really meant it. She has made many dresses, some of them for really famous ponies. But neither Princess Celestia nor Princess Luna ever asked her to make one.

“Splendid! I'll wait for letter from you in case you will need anything.” Celestia nod her head “Now, if you excuse me, I shall take my leave.”

“Thank you very much, Princess.” Rarity bowed in direction of Celestia now leaving her boutique.

Rarity still was pretty shaky after all that just happened. She was really happy, but even more than happy - she was excited! She didn't even notice that Princess Celestia teleported back to Canterlot, leaving few royal guards in pretty awkward situation right outside of her shop. She used her magic to turn sign on front door from Open to Closed and went straight to her bedroom where she was going to spend next few hours, or even days, working on her most important task so far.

***

Few days have passed since Princess Celestia's visit at Carousel Boutique, and it goes without saying that these days were very busy for Rarity.

The first two days she spent working on designs. She wasn't entirely satisfied, but she had to stop working on them, because most of the third day she spent on a trip to Canterlot to take measurements. She could clearly see, that Princess Celestia didn't lie about Luna's excitement. Although Princess Luna tried her best to keep her composure and act like a member of royalty, she was trembling with excitement. This made Rarity very happy, but it also made her much more nervous. Last thing she wanted was to disappoint princesses.

Rarity started working again the moment she returned to Ponyville. These designs were really giving her a hard time. It wasn't like they were bad... to be honest they were anything but bad, they were fabulous.

“Um, Rarity... I think they're really pretty...” Fluttershy gave silent remark.

“I really don't think you should worry about them this much, sugar cube.” Applejack looked really worried about her overworked friend, “Just take it easy and have some rest.”

But they weren't good enough, not for princesses, not according to Rarity. She wanted them to be her finest creation up to date.

On the fourth day she didn't make much progress, but the fifth one was a breakthrough. All because of vision she had in a dream. Immediately after waking up she ran to sketch these designs. For Princess Celestia white dress with gold accents and outline. For Luna, on the other hand, dress would be dark blue on higher parts, turning navy blue on lower parts to become almost black at the bottom. And to make it brighter she added some stars.

Her smile was so wide she'd have had to break it into sections to fit it through a doorway. She went to take her supplies from storage room. While she was there she also took out two alicorn size ponnequins (she clearly remembered what a nightmare it was to work without one when she was making dress for Princess Cadance).

There was one more thing that she needed to get these dresses done. She opened chest that she used to store gems, quickly went over them only to realize that she was missing this last, yet crucial, component.

“Well, it looks like I will need to acquire some diamonds before I can turn these designs into dresses.” Rarity heard her disappointed voice. “I'll better go to Twilight and ask Spike for assistance.” She locked the door to her boutique and went straight to Ponyville's library.

Not even five minutes have passed and Rarity was knocking on Twilight's door. It wasn't long before they opened, and the one who opened them was no other but Twilight. Surprised looking Twilight at that.

“Oh, hello Rarity! What brings you here? Did you finish dresses you were working on?” In the back of the room there was Spike cleaning one of the bookshelves. Upon hearing Rarity's name he rushed to the door.

"Good day darling, actually I'm here to ask Spikey for a fav–"

"Hi Rarity!" Interrupted Spike as he got to the door.

"Hello Spike. As I was saying I want to ask you for a favor. Would you assist me in a trip to get some gems for my newest project?"

"I'd love to!" said Spike without thinking, but upon seeing Twilight's less-than-amused face he quickly added: "But I've already promised Twi that I'll help her with cleaning main hall..."

"Oh, you misunderstood me, darling. It is already too late to go today." It was almost 4 o'clock already. "I was thinking about tomorrow morning."

"Then I'll be happy to assist you m'lady." Spike bowed as he was saying.

"Splendid! If you could be at my place at five o'clock tomorrow morning I would be delighted." Spike shook his head as a sign of acknowledgement. "Wonderful, then I'll be awaiting your arrival tomorrow morning. See you tomorrow Spikey! Goodbye Twilight."

"Bye Rarity!" Spike was waving his hand.

"Goodbye." Twilight was a little bit annoyed by this whole situation, but she didn't say anything.

Rarity headed back to her boutique. She didn't mention it to Spike, but her being in a hurry wasn't reason behind going for gems so early in the morning. It was because this trip was going to be much harder than usual, and much longer too. In the end diamonds are not as common as other gems, and proportionally harder to get. She needed to get prepared for that.