• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 6,790 Views, 106 Comments

A Magical Discovery - GunsNRoses365



Twilight finds a baby unicorn on her doorstep one night. Can she be the one to show him the love and care of a mother?

  • ...
7
 106
 6,790

Chapter 5

As the first drops of winter snow began to fall down from the beautiful morning sky, Twilight slept peacefully in her old bedroom with a smile on her face. Her beautiful violet eyes began to open when she felt something stroking her cheeking. Turning her head she smiled sweetly at the sight she saw. Shadow Light looked at his new mother a babbled happily while trying to play with her mane.

"Good morning, Shadow Light." Twilight said sweetly as she stroked her sons back.

Twilight's smile soon faded when Shadow Light began to whine. She found out the reason why he was whining when his stomach rumbled loudly. Shadow continued to whine as Twilight held him close to her as she sat up in her bed.

"Okay, sweetheart, let's go downstairs and I'll make you some milk." She said softly hoping Shadow would calm down.

Shadow's whining quieted down a little bit, but he still softly whimpered. Twilight gave him a tender kiss on the muzzle to sooth him, and she then placed him on her back before heading out the door. Because he was asleep last night, Shadow Light looked around curiously at his new environment. His eyes moved in every direction as Twilight descended the stairs slowly. His eyes soon rested on the outside as he began to giggle and clap his hooves when he noticed the snow outside a window. Twilight giggled at the infants eagerness and began speaking to him.

"That's snow, sweetie, isn't it pretty?"

Shadow just babbled until he could no longer see the snow. He tugged on Twilight's mane making her look back at him. He pointed his little hoof towards the wall while whining.

Twilight giggled and said, "It's okay, Shadow, you'll see the snow again when we leave."

When they arrived downstairs, Twilight saw her mother sitting on the couch reading a book.

"Good Morning" Twilight said to her mother in order to catch their attention.

Twilight Velvet looked up from her book and said, "Good Morning, sweetie, did you sleep okay last night?"

Twilight nodded her head and walked up to her mother.

"Where's dad?" she asked curiously

"He had to go into town, for a little while." Velvet replied

Twilight nodded her head again before hearing her sons stomach rumble once more followed by Shadow softly pounding on the back of her head.

"Mom can you watch Shadow Light for a little bit while I go make him some milk?" Twilight asked

Velvet giggled and said, "Of course, sweetie."

Twilight used her magic to gently levitate Shadow Light into her mothers forelegs. Terrified, Shadow began to whimper and reach out for Twilight.

"Shh..It's alright, Shadow, mommy will be back." Twilight Velvet said sweetly trying to calm the little colt.

Twilight kissed him on the muzzle and walked into the kitchen. Shadow Light however, wasn't calming down. The second Twilight was out of his sight he began to cry in fear. Velvet simply hushed him and softly stroked him as he continued to cry.

"Shh..It's alright...Mommy will be back. Don't cry, you sweet little child." she said sweetly.

Shadow listened to her soft and gentle voice and began to settle down.

"That's better." Velvet said before kissing the colt on the Muzzle.

In the kitchen, Twilight went to the refrigerator and took out some milk. She then put the milk in a baby bottle, and used the heating spell to warm it. As the milk warmed up, Thought's of doubt began to reenter Twilight's mind. She began to fear something bad happening while she raised Shadow Light. What if something happened to him? What if something happened to her, and Shadow was left all alone with nopony to take care of him? Twilight couldn't understand why she was so scared about raising a child of her own. Twilight however put her fear aside as she finished heating the milk. She then levitated the milk and went back into the living room.

She sat down in a chair as Shadow saw her and began whining once more and reaching out for her. Velvet gently levitated him over to her daughter and Twilight took him in her hooves and rested his head in the crook of her foreleg.

"Here you go, sweetheart." Twilight said to the infant with a gentle smile on her face.

She put the bottle of milk in his mouth and held it while he began drinking happily. Twilight continued to smile at her son before it was soon replaced with a frown that her mother easily noticed.

"Twilight, sweetheart, what's wrong?" She asked with concern.

Twilight shook her head not wanting to answer.

"Are you still worried about taking care of, Shadow Light?" Velvet asked.

Twilight was hesitant but she nodded her head.

Velvet sighed and used her magic to levitate her daughter over to her side just like she did when she was filly. Twilight made sure to hold on to Shadow Light tightly as the little infant didn't seem to mind as he drank his milk happily.

Velvet set her daughter down beside her and wrapped a foreleg around her and began speaking to her sweetly as she nuzzled her cheek.

"Twilight, why do you doubt yourself? You know better than I do that you are perfectly capable of taking care of a child. You have taken care of Spike ever since you first hatched him. You are as much of a mother to him as I am to you. Listen to your heart, sweetheart, you love Shadow Light, just as much as I love you, my sweet little filly. I promise you can take care of him."

Twilight let a small tear shed down her cheek as her mother brushed it away with her hoof. She then rested her head against her moms neck as velvet softly stroked her mane.

"Thank you, Mom, you make me feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I love you." Twilight said as Shadow Light finished drinking his milk and snuggled into his mothers soft chest fur.

Velvet closed her eyes and smiled before kissing her daughters head.

"And I love you, my little Twilight."

The heartwarming scene was interrupted by a chime from the clock on the wall.

"I have to go home Mom."

Velvet nodded her head and Twilight went back into her room to grab the music box she was given. She put it in a bag that her mother gave her and she put on her back.

Twilight looked at her mother and gave her a loving hug while saying, "Tell Dad I love him."

Velvet kissed her daughter on the forehead and said, "I will, I hope you will come back soon."

"I will," Twilight replied before putting Shadow Light on her back. "Goodbye, Mom, and thank you."

Twilight exited her old home and closed the door behind her while Velvet let a tear roll down her cheek while saying, "Oh, Twilight, you've grown up so fast."

At the train station, Shadow Light giggled and babbled happily as he played with snow that dropped from the sky. Twilight soon handed her ticket to the conductor and went inside the train. She soon found an empty car and used her magic to gently levitate the music box onto a seat. She sat down in the seat while she set her son on her lap. Twilight looked down at Shadow who crawled up her chest and got nose to nose with her making her giggle,

"Alright, Shadow, let's settle down now." She said sweetly as she placed her son back on her lap and held him close.

Shadow soon let out a yawn and rested his head against Twilight's soft warm chest fur. Her soft and gentle heartbeat soothed the young infant. His little eyes began to close and before he fell asleep, he uttered a word the brought tears to Twilight's eyes.

"M-Mom-m-ma"

Twilight let her tears flow free as she remembered her mothers words from last night.

"being afraid is just natural but it goes away when you have those special moments with the ones you love."

Twilight gently hugged her sleeping child and nuzzled his cheek. She no longer felt afraid, she knew now without a doubt she would be able to take care of her new son.

"I promise I will always love you, my little Shadow Light." she whispered softly and sweetly in the young colts ear.

She then let out a sigh of happiness as she held Shadow Light close to her and looked out the window as the train made it's way to Ponyville and her new life.

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoyed reading chapter 5. I'm deeply sorry that It took so long to make this next chapter. I truly want to thank you all for being so patient with me as this writers block was really hard to get rid of. I wanted to make this chapter a heartwarming warming chapter, I hope I succeeded in doing so. I also want to thank dread94 for giving me the idea of this chapter. The next chapter will be a six year time skip and we will be introduced to two new characters. I want to thank you all so much for the love and support for this story. I will see you all next chapter.