• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 1,543 Views, 24 Comments

Constantine and the Eternal Night - Jaysteeny



The summer solstice. One of the most celebrated days of the year in Equestria. On Earth, not so much

  • ...
4
 24
 1,543

Part 2: Meetings

Chapter 2: Meetings

The creature stirred on a hard marble floor. The creature was a man, named George Arthur Constantine. “What happened?” he thought to himself. He thought back on what had happened. He was watching the sunrise on the longest day of the year, and then….Nothing.

‘The creature is awakening, Ma’am!’ Said a stern voice.

‘Ah, good. Now we can find out what it is, and how it got here.’ Said a voice that was surely female, and undoubtedly evil.

‘W-what happened?’ Said George groggily, struggling to sit up, eyes still closed. ‘I feel sick…’

He was going to think through everything he had eaten in the past 24 hours, and whether it could have been drugged, before getting a chance to look at it. He hadn’t been watching the sunrise from his own house, his friend had a beachfront property, but it was an unstable neighbourhood. In fact his friend was an addict, but gladly let George stay at his house. The friend was doing something he couldn’t talk about anyway, so why not. He wondered what the flash was. “It might have been a raid, and they used a flash grenade and smacked me in the back of the head with their stick,” he pondered, oblivious to the fact he was being watched “Or maybe someone’s meth lab exploded…

The newly crowned Queen of Equestria grew impatient.

‘You will answer my questions, or be destroyed, creature.’ She said in a paradoxically casual yet serious tone. The man gave a start.

‘Huh, what?’ He said, his eyes snapping open and looking at the source of the voice ‘Okay, now I know he put drugs in his teabags. I’m seeing talking unicorns, and one has wings.’

‘How dare you insult the Queen of Equestria!’ Shouted the Unicorn guard ‘Shall I fetch someone to throw it in the dungeon, your majesty?’ He asked, turning to his mistress.

‘No. It’s fine. But it appears it can speak our language. Summon the time-master.’ She said, a grin slowly spreading across her face. ‘Perhaps he can explain how this happened.’

George was in way out of his depth.

‘So, creature, what are you?’ She asked politely, though a note of danger was still in her voice.

‘If this is real, a human,’ He said slowly ‘And if not, so are you.’

‘Well clearly this is real, then human. And I am the last of the Alicorns, after my sister was imprisoned.’

‘Oh, I’m so sorry, my name is G-‘

‘Don’t be. I imprisoned her, as she imprisoned me.’ She hissed, her tone no longer conversational, but something that made him want to run and hide, and anger filled her face. The anger faded, and she continued. ‘My name is Nightmare Moon, what was your name again?’

‘Constantine. George Arthur Constantine. Human, from Earth. From what you’ve been saying, this place is called Equestria, and judging by that name, it’s inhabited by horses or something, right?’

‘Correct. I think I’m beginning to like you, despite your strange appearance. The three main groups are Unicorns, Pegasi and Earth Ponies. There are also Gryphons and Dragons in the minority, and one Alicorn: Me. Now there is also one human. I sent captain Golden Shield to get an Earth pony calling himself “The Doctor” or sometimes “Doctor Whooves”. He claims he has the power to travel in time, and a scientific knowledge unsurpassed in all of Equestria. You have been very obedient. I think I may let you remain at the palace, if you so wish.’

‘Huh. Doctor Whooves…Sounds almost like this TV show back on Earth. Never quite got into it. As far as I can tell, he goes around time and space with a random human in a phone booth. I much prefer Red Dwarf, far more comedic value.’

‘Well, I think that’s him here now, ah yes. Now Doctor, tell me how this happened.’ A chestnut stallion was being dragged in by his front legs; it looked as though he had been extensively tortured, though no blood was on his ruffled coat. Nightmare Moon gestured with her hoof to George. ‘You told me what to do, and assured me nothing could go wrong. You will explain what happened. NOW!’

‘What’s that glow around his front legs?’ Asked George out of curiosity. ‘And there’s no proof that he didn’t just make a mistake, and I got teleported accidentally’

At this the Stallion looked indignant, and said ‘I don’t make mistakes. I told you there were risks, far greater than you thought. I told you one universe had nowhere near enough power to create a new moon, and that if you went wrong–‘

‘I don’t make mistakes either!’ the Queen shouted back. ‘And you would do well to remember that.’

‘I never said you did go wrong. I never expected this to happen. It’s impossible, and that is a term I don’t use lightly. The only risk I saw associated was the destruction of our universe, and tens of others. You waved me away when I tried to warn you, just as you are doing now. With your permission, I’d like to find out more about it.’

‘Ahem, I’m still here!’ Interrupted George angrily ‘And I don’t like being referred to as “it” or “creature”. Please use my name.’ After this outburst he realised he should calm down, lest he end up like the poor creature now arguing with the Queen.

‘Well, I think we need to figure out what’s going on, don’t you?’ Said The Doctor.

‘Yes indeed’ Said Nightmare Moon ‘And more importantly how to fix it.’ For the first time today, they agreed on something.

(Author's notes) Well, left it on a cliffhanger. Mostly 'cos I've run out of time and not even I know where this story's going. Remember to click that little button up at the top that says "track" And, as always, GOODBYE, PEOPLEZ!