• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 1,439 Views, 77 Comments

Equestria Divided Tales - Grenazers



A series of short stories, each one spotlighting one of the six factions troops.

  • ...
4
 77
 1,439

PreviousChapters Next
Cult of Laughter: Cadavre Carousel

“This way lads.” Said the elderly unicorn.

The three other unicorns behind him, silently nodded and follow the lead pony.

The four pony team quickly trotted across a large field, filled with dead bodies. This place was recently the site of huge battle between the Moon and Star and the Earthborn. The battle was intense and both side suffered heavy casualties.

In the end though, the army of Moon and Star was victorious. A hollow victory really, sure they had one, but the cost was too much.

The four stallion trotted around the corpse filled fields, they were trying to keep themselves from emptying their stomachs on the blood soaked ground.

The scene before them is grisly sight: bodies laid cut up and ripped opened, sharp weapons were sometime found impaled into the bodies, and lastly their heads and legs were missing.

They were also unease ass well, seeing the bodies of their fallen comrades can be demoralizing. However, they have a mission to do and they'll need to be focus if they are going to achieve their objective.

Apparently some ponies in the higher ups, sense some strong source of dark magic coming from this battlefield. It was the was first time someponies felt dark magic in a certain area, but this one was different.

Instead of a vague direction, it was actually an actual place.

Upon this discovery, high command order a four pony team to investigate this dark magic source. The squad consist of: Captain Brass Barrier, Lieutenant Chain Sword, Warrant Officer Crimson Red, and Sergeant Hard Kick.

Captain Barrier is veteran Legionnaire and has seen his share of battles before. Because of his experience, the stallion has been described as a hard pony to impress. Despite this characteristic, he does give of praises when they are needed.

Lieutenant Sword is the sniper of the group. A highly skilled Markmage, Chain Sword has called upon for assassination numerous time before and has always get his targets. While some believe him to be a cold-hearted killer, LT Sword has shown to have friendlier side.

Warrant Officer Red is a Seraph and serves as the team's air advantage. Once was a brash and cocky unicorn, after a year in the military, he was reshape into a well-trained and discipline soldier. Still contain remnants of his cockiness.

Sergeant Kick is a recently promoted solider and a legionnaire like the Captain. The youngest of the group, Sgt Kick is your by the rules type of pony and will rarely break the rules, no matter how minor it is.

Together these four are task with one thing, find the source of the dark magic. If found they are to retrieve it and bring back to base for research.
As the team make their way to source, Crimson Red decided to start a conversation with his teammates. While Brass and Hard only responded with short answers, Chain Sword on the other hoof was more opened then the other two.

“So there he was charging right at me, then in the last second, I cast the wing spell and flew over the guy. And when I was above, I cast another spell and lit the bastard on fire.”

“That is quite story there, Crimson.” Said Chain.

“So what about you buddy?” The scarlet unicorn pointed his hoof at the Markmage. “You've ever been in a intense fight before?”

The yellow stallion though for bit, until he come up with one.

“Well as a Markmage, I rarely engage in close-quarter fighting. Hell even less when you're the sniper. However there was this one time when I almost lost my head..”

Chain Sword cleared his throat and proceeded to tell his story.

“It all started when I was just sitting in a tree, picking off enemy troops. When all of sudden I was knocked right out of the tree. Falling down, I was disoriented, but knew that I was vulnerable. Quickly lowering my head, dodge a swing from an axe. My assailant then tackle me, pushing me a few hoof steps away. That son of bitch then trotted towards my down body and raise his axe. I then in turn swiftly turned around blasted my magic into his face, blowing his head up in the process.”

“Whoa, brutal dude.” Crimson then turn his attention to the sergeant behind them. “Hey rookie, you got any interesting stories?”

The blue unicorn known as Hard Kick, was taken back by being called a rookie.

“Rookie?” He repeated the word. “Sir, I am Sergeant.”

“Yeah well, you were recently promoted so your rank as sergeant has really kicked in yet.” Crimson retorted.

Hard gave a confuse look at the red stallion. “What is that suppose to mean, sir?”

“OK first of, stopped with the whole sir thing. We only use that stuff among the high ranking officers. Here we can all casual about, ain't that right captain?” He turn his head to the captain, he responded by saying nothing.

“See what I tell ya.” Crimson smiled. “Secondly while you are technically a sergeant, not many ponies believe you earned that rank. Give it a few days and they'll start calling by your rank.”

“Wait hold on a second, what do mean I didn't earn the rank?” Hard asked.

“I'm just saying what everypony back at base are saying.” Crimson said. “Not many of them believe you have earn that promotion.”

“Why not? I worked hard to achieve the position I am in.”

“Well I believe it is because of your brother.” Crimson responded.

When his teammate mention his brother, the sergeant just sighs. Way long before he joined the army, his brother, Swift Kick was in the army. H rise through the ranks and became one of the top military officers

Then when he enlisted, his brother wanted to help him out, but Hard Kick refused, He didn't want any special treatment just because he happens to the little brother of this high ranking officer. So for the first year in service, he has followed every rules and protocols listed and done with perfection. Despite his efforts, many still dislike him because of his connection with his brother.

Hard Kick was suddenly interrupted from his thoughts by his red teammate. “Hey rookie, you got stories or what?” Crimson asked.

“No, not really.” He replied.

“Well that's a shame.” Said a disappointed Crimson. Now what are we-”

“Shush lads, were near.” Brass interrupted him.

The three stallion behind him prepared themselves for what lies ahead. The four ponies trotted a couple of more hooves ahead. They then spotted something strange from a distance.

Crouching low, the four stealthy got closer to the strange thing. Taking cover behind some wreckage, the team got a closer look at the thing. Upon looking looking at it, they wished they hadn't.

Standing in the middle of a corpse covered field, are two creepy smiling ponies pulling a wagon. On top of the wagon is little pillar, with corpses hanged around. The ropes are tied around the ponies neck and are left to literally hang around the pillar.

“By Celestia's sun, what is that abomination?” Crimson question, sounding disturbed.

“I don't know, but I can sense the dark energy coming from that wagon.” Brass said.

“So captain, how are we going to do this?” Chain asked.

“Simple Chain, me and Hard Kick will sneak closer, while you and Crimson stay here cover us. Chain you're our best markspony and I count you to take out those two. If not, me and the sergeant can take care of them.”

“What about me?”

“Crimson, if we both fail to kill those two, it is up to you track them down and take them out.”

“Alright gotcha.”

With their plan formed, both Brass Barrier and Hard Kick snuck closer to two ponies pulling the wagon. Chain Sword set up his bipod and aimed it at the head of one of the two.

When the two got into position, Chain fired a shot and it pierced through his target's head. The second pony was so shock to his friend's death, that he didn't notice the captain popping out of his cover. Throwing his spear, his impaled the pony, killing him instantly.

With both ponies dead and the wagon secured, Captain Barrier order the rest of his troops to gather around the wooden vehicle.

“Lads, here is what we don next: first me and Chain Sword will pull the wagon, Crimson you are to use your wing spell and you'll be our eye in skies, and lastly Hard Kick will hang back and watch the rear.”

The four then split up and got into position. Brass and Sword attach themselves to the wagon, while Crimson took flight. When the wagon was moving, Hard Kick stayed back, trying not to look at hanged corpses in front of him.

They marched on in silence, the only noise being made was wagons they are moving.

The two stallion pulling the wagon, suddenly found themselves unable to move forward.

“Captain!” Shouted Hard Kick. “One of the bodies fell down and got stuck under the wheel!”

“Well push it out then!” The captain shouted back.

Not wanting to touch the rotting body, the sergeant instead uses his spear. As he was trying to push the carcass out, it suddenly grabbed his spear and pulled him towards it.

Acting instinctively, Hard Kick let go of the spear and backed up. He was then assaulted by more of the undead. They came to life and broke from their nooses.

Finding himself surrounded, the sergeant scream for help and backed away further.

Soon a small swarm of them started going after the blue pony. Luckily for him, his teammates heard his cry for help.

Chain Sword blasted the ghouls from a distance, while Brass Barrier took them head on with his spear. Up above the winged red unicorn set fire to the dead ponies below.

With the majority taken care of, Hard Kick only had to deal with one of them. Charging his horn, the sergeant blasted the head of his attacker. The blast was strong enough to kill, so he had to finish the job with his hooves.

It took him three hits to finally kill it. He then trotted back to the wagon, trotting over the slain bodies of the dead. He stopped when he spotted the dead pony still stuck under the wheel. Quickly finishing it off, he pull the corpse out and lay on the side.

“Sergeant, are you alright?” The captain said.
“Yeah dude, were you hurt?” Crimson said as he flew down and landed.

“Were you injured?” Chain spoke.

“Guys, guys, I alright.” He assured them. He then levitated the spear under the wagon and picked it up. “Can we continue on with our objective.”

“Yeah, buddy I don't its going to be that easy.”

“What do you mean?”

Crimson pointed in a direction and Hard Kick saw what he meant. Of in the distance many ghouls of the fallen soldiers they passed has risen up and is going after them.

“Hey Brass, if may suggest, I say we leave the wagon and hightail it out of here.” Crimson suggested.

“But, about our mission?” Hard Kick argued.

“Sergeant there's a horde of ghouls coming after us.” Brass pointed out. “The wagon will only slow us down.”

“And besides, we don't necessarily need to bring the wagon, we can just describe it back at base.” Chain added.

“But-” Before he could say anything, Brass's shove his hoof into his mouth.

“Listen sergeant, I'm giving you a direct order. Either you follow it or I will drag your sorry ass back to base myself!”

Hard Kick nodded his in agreement and his captain let go of his hoof. The four then proceeded to gallop away from the dark energy emitting wagon and the horde of undead.

The blue stallion gave one look back, before focusing his attention on keeping up with his teammates.

The abandoned wagon stood there, emitting strange dark energy. Around him the bodies of the fallen were given new life as the pillar resurrected them. Soon one by one the dead will rise up and will be added into the ranks of the Laughing Mare.

PreviousChapters Next