• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 3,672 Views, 77 Comments

Jurassic Park Ponified - RustyNails



The Mane Six and CMCs go on an adventure, 65 million years in the making.

  • ...
7
 77
 3,672

The Visitor's Center

The red jeeps carrying the ponies left the brachiosaur enclosure and drove along the main road to the main command enclosure, surrounded by a large 90 foot electric fence. At last they pulled up to the visitor's center. The building was a large three story concrete and steel structure with a straw hut domed roof. It housed the park control center, genetics lab, as well as the accommodations and food service. Outside, two step fountains ran along the stairs and two apatasaurus statues greeted visitors walking inside.

Uncle Orange led the group up the stairs and into the center's rotunda, which was still partially under construction. The centerpiece of the rotunda were two bone displays of a Tyrannosaurus and a Brachiosaurus in a fight.

"This is the crown jewel of the facilities here at Jurassic Park, our visitor's center. When it is finished it will look even more glorious than right now, we've spared no expense. When opened in two months we'll be the most advanced amusement park in all of Equestria. No lame animatronics or cheap thrills on this island. No. We've made living biological attractions so astounding, they'll capture the imagination of all ponykind."

"Can you believe it girls!" Rainbow squeed. "Dinosaurs! Real live dinosaurs! This has to be the coolest thing ever, it's even cooler than the Wonderbolts!"

"We need to have a party. A dinosaurs back to life party." said Pinkie blowing a party horn
The ponies were all thrilled with the park, except for Twilight and Fluttershy. Twilight was still a little shaken from seeing a live dinosaur, and also knowing that there were other ones here too, even meat eating dinosaurs.

"Now I know why Princess Celestia wanted us to come here."

"Now there is a lot to see on your stay here. You'll be touring the facilities here at the Visitor Center, and then you'll be going out into the park itself on our tour safari. But before that, I have a special film to show you about how we brought these great creatures back to life. It starts in 30 minutes, enough time for you all to settle into your rooms. I'll see you all there soon."
The ponies all headed up the stairs to the second floor of the visitor's center.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bell pony opened the doors to the hotel rooms where the ponies would be staying.

"Here are your rooms ladies. Enjoy your stay."
The ponies had three rooms connected to each other featuring three nice beds to a room.

"Woohoo. Nice cribs." Rainbow Dash flew in and crashed on one of the beds.

"Wow, the beds are super comfy. Better than my clould bed back home."
Rarity lay on the one next to Rainbow.

"Oooohh. It's like floating on silk."

"Time to check out the bathroom." Pinkie Pie bounced into the bathroom, flipping on the light.

"Wow! Walk in shower with extendable shower head, Six Pony hot tub."

"Hot tub!!!" Rarity shrieked. She pushed Pinkie out of the way to beam at the hot tub.

"This is better than the one at the spa, and it's only ten feet away from the bed."
Pinkie Pie discovered that the toilet was an automatic flushing toilet.

"Wow. The toilet flushes itself."
Giggling she moved her head back and forth triggering the flushing mechanism.
While the other ponies settled into the hotel, Twilight sat on her bed looking glum. Applejack came up to her.

"What's the matter sugarcube? You look worried."

"I am. It's just, I mean there are dinosaurs on this island."

"I know! Isn't that great!?" said Pinkie bouncing on her bed.

"Yeah it's cool and everything, but I just have this feeling in my stomach that there's something not quite right about it. Princess Celestia was worried about this too."

"Hold on darling," said Rarity adjusting her hat. "We've only just got here. Let's see the rest of the park first. However these splendid hotel amenities are enough to convince me."
Twilight sighed.

"Come on you guys." said Rainbow Dash. "Let's see how they made the dinosaurs."
The group headed from the hotel to the other side of the rotunda where Uncle Orange was waiting for them.

"This way everypony."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uncle Orange led the ponies into a small movie theater. They all sat down while Orange remained standing at the front next to the screen.

"Wonderful. Now I bet you're all wondering how we brought dinosaurs back to life here on this island."

"No kidding." said Rainbow Dash. "How did you do it?"

"Patience Ms. Dash. This film I'm about to show you will explain everything. It's really an amazing process I don't know if I could explain it. You really have to see it for yourself. Roll the film."
The lights dimmed in the theater as Orange took his seat in the back with Daisy.

"How do think they brought them back?" Rarity asked the others.

"I don't know." said Applejack. "They must be using some kind of powerful magic. Twilight, is there any kind of magic that could resurrect dinosaurs like that?"

"No. No unicorn knows how to do that. Not even Princess Celestia. Whatever they doing, it couldn't be magic."

"Shh." Rainbow hushed them. "Let's watch the film."

The film opened with an image of the Jurassic Park insignia and Uncle Orange appeared on the screen.

"Hello there, and welcome to Jurassic Park; where after 65 million years dinosaurs roam the earth once again. I'm Mosey Orange, the owner and CEP of Jurassic Park. You're probably asking yourself 'Dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years. How have they come back to life?"

"Um Mr. Orange," said a small voice offscreen. "Dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years. How have they come back to life?"
Pipsqueak joined Orange on-screen

"Hey! It's Pipsqueak from Ponyville!" said Pinkie Pie.

"Why it's very simple Pip. And I'll show you how. First I need a drop of blood, your blood."
Pip held out his hoof and Orange pricked it with a pin.

"Ouch." Pip squealed. "That hurts Mr. Orange."

"Oh relax son, it's all part of the miracle of cloning."
Multiple Pips started appearing onscreen next to Pip.

"Hello Pip." "Hello Pip. "Hello." "Good afternoon Pip." "Lovely day isn't it."

"Cloning?" Fluttershy gasped.

"But how could they?" said Twilight. "Where would you find million years old dinosaur blood?"
A cartoon DNA character appeared out of Pip's hoof.

"Hello there Pip." said the character. "I'm Mr. DNA."

"Where did you come from?"

"From that drop of your blood. Just one drop contains billions of stands of DNA. The building blocks of life."
Mr. DNA turned to face the camera.

"Take a closer look at me."
The camera rushed in onto his eyes.

"Not that close!"
The camera pulled back.

"There. I'm a strand of DNA like the ones that make you the pony you are. I'm found inside every living thing on the planet, even dinosaurs. And finding DNA in dinosaur blood was the key to bringing them back to life here at Jurassic Park."

"But Mr. DNA," asked Pip. "If dinosaurs died out millions of years ago, how did you find their blood?"

"A great question Pip, and the answer is right here."
Mr. DNA held up a shiny gold like rock.

"A rock?"

"Not just any rock." Mr. DNA continued. "This is amber; fossilized tree sap. And look what's inside."
The camera focused in close on the amber revealing a preserved mosquito.

"Of course." said Twilight.

"Inside this amber is a preserved mosquito, and it is the key to resurrecting dinosaurs. Allow me to demonstrate. Let's go back millions and millions of years."
A time travel montage of clocks took Mr. DNA back to the time of dinosaurs.

"Ahh, here we are back in the time of the dinosaurs."
A mosquito buzzed around his head.

"And look, a mosquito."
The mosquito landed on the back of a grazing triceratops and sucked its blood.

"Just like mosquitoes today, they fed on the blood of other animals, including dinosaurs."
The mosquito buzzes away from the triceratops to a tree branch and gets stuck in the flowing sap.

"Sometimes after biting a dinosaur, the mosquito would land on a tree branch and get stuck in the tree's sap."
The time montage appeared around the stuck mosquito.

"And then over millions of years, the tree sap becomes hard and turns into fossilized amber with the mosquito and the dinosaur blood preserved inside."

"The poor mosquito." said Fluttershy

"Bummer." said Rainbow Dash.
The amber with the mosquito inside now appears in a laboratory, with a scientist unicorn pony drilling into it.

"And this is where our Jurassic Park scientists enter the story." The unicorn drills a hole down to the mosquito's abdomen, then inserts a tiny syringe and extracts the blood. "Using very fine scientific tools, the preserved blood from the mosquito is extracted and...Bingo. Dino DNA!
The ponies all looked at each other amazed.

"So that's how they did it." said Rainbow

"Incredible." said Rarity.

"A full strand of DNA is filled with billions of genetic code."
Mr. DNA appeared on a screen of A's, T's, C's and G's whizzing by behind him.

"If we looked at screens like these once a second for eight hours a day, it would take two years to look at the entire DNA strand. It's that long. But even though we have the dinosaur DNA, we can't make a dinosaur just yet."

"Why not Mr. DNA?" asked Pip.

"Well our analysis revealed holes in the genetic code, called genetic sequence gaps. If we don't fill those gaps, the genetic codes won't produce the proteins needed for life. Think of this like trying to bake a cake, but your recipe is incomplete. You can't bake the cake. And this is where our geneticists take over."
The scene changed to reveal genetic scientist ponies analyzing different genetic codes on computers.

"Using high tech super computers, the genetic code is broken down in minutes, revealing the gaps. The complete DNA of a frog is now used, since it's 95 percent identical."
Mr. DNA picked up the DNA from a frog and filled it into the dinosaur DNA.

"Taking the frog DNA, we fill the genetic gaps, and complete the code."
Fanfare and confetti surrounds the filling of the cartoon genetic code.

"And now, we can finally hatch baby dinosaurs."
A cartoon nest of eggs begins hatching, and full grown dinosaurs of many species appear and roar at the audience.
The room shook as the dinosaurs on the screen roared.

"That's so cool." said the Crusaders.

"That's nothing." said Uncle Orange. "Wait till you see this."
The bars in front of the seats suddenly retracted backwards, belting the ponies in their seats. The screen pulled away and the theater started turning. It was a movable theater. Behind the glass window was the real genetics lab of Jurassic Park.

"Welcome to the genetics lab of Jurassic Park." said the Voice over. "Here you can see our scientists analyzing the genetic codes of different dinosaurs, in preparation for their development."

"This is amazing Mr. Orange." said Daisy. "Is this cybernetic or some..."

"No, no. Those are not animatronics. Those are the real scientists making the miracle of Jurassic Park."
The theater moved to the next room.

"This is the dinosaur hatchery. The dinosaur DNA from the previous room is implanted into un-fertilized emu and ostrich eggs, then incubated for the appropriate gestation period until ready for hatching. All of Jurassic Park's dinosaurs were hatched from this room"

"Are there dinosaur's being hatched right now?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yes." Orange answered.

"Let me off! I have to see them!"
Fluttershy pushed her hooves against the bars.

"I wanna see baby dinosaurs!" Pinkie Pie screeched. "I wanna see baby dinosaurs! Let me see them!!!!!"

"I have to see this too." said Twilight.
They tried to push the bars off, but they wouldn't move.

"Can't you stop this thing?" asked Fluttershy."

"It's really kind of a ride." said Orange.

"Hold on."
Twilight lit up her horn and pushed the bars up. The whole group vacated the moving theater, and headed for the lab.

"Wait can they do that?" said Daisy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the hatchery lab, ponies in lab coats monitored computers and talked to each other. Six incubator nests in the lab contained dinosaur eggs within plastic domes to keep them warm. The ponies came down the stairs into the lab. One scientist unicorn, named Whooves stood at the base of the stairs jotting down notes on a pad.

"Hello Dr. Whooves." said Uncle Orange.

"Oh, Mr. Orange. Good to see you here."

"I brought some guests with me from Equestria. They wanted to see the hatchery lab."

"Yes, well this is the hatchery."
Pinkie Pie excitedly smushed her face against one of the plastic domes to look at the eggs.

"Where are the baby dinosaurs? Where are they?!"

"You won't see them in that incubator." laughed Whooves. "Those eggs are only two weeks into development."

"Ahhh."

"But the eggs in this incubator are 6 weeks old, they could hatch anytime now."
The ponies hurried to the other incubator which was open. A robotic arm was turning the eggs.

"Incredible." said Twilight. They spotted one egg starting to move.

"Aha! I think we've got one."

"Perfect." said Whooves. "I was hoping they would hatch before I have to make the boat."
Uncle Orange moved in.

"Gather round everypony. We should all be witness to this magical moment."
The ponies all gathered round the incubator to witness the hatching of a dinosaur. Tiny cracks started to appear in the shell.

"Come on, come on, come on little one."
The ponies all gasped as the tiny dinosaur hatched its way out of the shell.

"Come on now. Very good, push! Push!"
Uncle Orange pulled away pieces of the broken shell revealing the newborn dinosaur.

"Here you are!"
The baby dinosaur screeched a tiny screech as it emerged from the shell.

"It's so cute." said Fluttershy. "I mean all baby animals are cute, but I never imagined a baby dinosaur being cute too."

"Wow, look at it." said the Crusaders.
The dinosaurs tiny little clawed hands touched onto Uncle Orange's hooves.

"They imprint on the first thing they see after they hatch. I've been present for the hatching of every animal on this island."

"Amazing." said Rainbow Dash.

"What a little cutie." said Rarity.

"Happy birthday baby dinosaur!" Pinkie Pie blew a party horn.

"How do they breed in the wild?" asked Fluttershy.

"Oh, actually they can't breed in the wild." Whooves replied. "All the breeding happens in here in a controlled environment. Our top priority is no uncontrolled breeding in Jurassic Park."

"Why can't the breed in the wild?" Twilight added into the conversation.

"Well, all the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are female. We engineered them that way."
All the ponies were transfixed by the dinosaur. Rarity and Twilight took a closer look at the shell. As Twilight held it up in her magic the robotic arm reached over and snatched it away from her.

"What a rude robot." said Rarity.

"But wait," said Flutterhsy. "How do you know they're all female?"

"Easy." Pinkie interjected. "Somepony went out there and looked up the dinosaurs' skirts."
The ponies all stared at Pinkie.

"What? How else would you guess their all girls?"

"We control their chomosomes." Whooves continued. "It's really not that difficult. All vertebrate embryos are inherently female anyway. They just need an extra hormone at the right stage to make them male. We simply deny them that."
Fluttershy felt faint and needed to sit down. She had trouble comprehending what these scientists were doing.

"You okay darling?" Rarity asked Flutterhsy.

"Yes I'm fine. It's just the thought of this attempted control over nature is a little overwhelming to me. If there's one thing that taking care of animals most of my life has taught me is that nature and life cannot be controlled like this. Nature will breakthrough any barriers it comes up against, sometimes even with frightening consequences. Nature is something to be respected, not tampered with or controlled."
The other ponies didn't know how to respond to what Fluttershy just said.

"Are you suggesting that a population made up only female organisms will...breed?"

"All I'm really saying is...life finds a way."
Twilight touched the baby dinosaur with her hoof looking at its small teeth and claws.

"What species is it?"

"Uh, velociraptor."
A chill fell through Twilight's body.

"You...bred raptors."
Whooves nodded gently. Twilight now looked at the baby raptor with a sense of fear. She read about velociraptors and what dangerous predators they were. This tiny harmless creature the size of her hoof would grow up to be a lethal killer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twilight headed outside the center to the holding pen where the adult velociraptors were being held. It was the same place where the incident prompting their visit had taken place. Twilight was intent on seeing the raptors, and wanted to learn more about them. Uncle Orange trailed behind Twilight with the rest of the group.

"Ms. Sparkle, we have lunch laid out for all of you before you go on the tour. Our gourmet chefs have prepared a delicious..."

"What's going on?"
A large cow was being lifted up by a crane over to the cage.

"It's feeding time."
The ponies watched curiously as the cow was lifted high above the cage.

"As I was saying our gourmet chefs have prepared a delicious menu, steamed daffodils with lilac sauce, shall we..."
They walked up onto the deck overlooking the holding pen.

"Oh dear." said Fluttershy watching the cow be lowered into the cage. "Is that cow going to be?"

"Afraid so." said Uncle Orange. "Raptors have to eat too."
The cow mooed as it was lowered into the pen and disappeared beneath the heavy bushes. The ponies watched to see what would happen. The brushes rustled beneath as the raptors sensed that dinner had been served. Suddenly hideous growls and screams burst out from the bushes below. The bushes shook violently as the raptors devoured the cow. The ponies watched the bushes intently. They couldn't see the fearsome predators, but only hear their horrific screams. Fluttershy covered her mouth in distress.

"What atrocious table manners." Rarity commented.

"I don't think etiquette was a thing 70 million years ago." said Rainbow.

"They should all be destroyed." a voice came from behind.

"This is Octavia, our game warden and animal coordinator. She's a former classical celist from Canterlot, but also has duel education in zoology and paleontology. She knows heaps about raptors too." Twilight had a mouth full of questions. Being the egghead that she was, she wanted to know everything possible.

"I have so many questions to ask about the raptors."

"Fire away."

"We just saw a baby raptor in the hatchery. I wanted to know, what's their growth rate, their metabolism?"

"They're lethal at 6 months, and I mean lethal. I studied many animals that can hunt ponies in school but these things are a whole other story."

"How fast are they for a bi-ped?"

"Very fast. Cheetah speed at least if they ever got the chance for it, and they're amazing jumpers."

"How come we can't see them?" asked Scootaloo.

"Well since they're an especially dangerous specimen, we've had to re-design their whole enclosure, which is why they're in this holding pen until it's ready. If we kept it the old way, they'd probably figure out how to escape."

"That's another thing." said Twilight. "Intelligence; there's been speculation from their brain cavity measurements..."

"They're amazingly intelligent." said Octavia. "Problem solving intelligent. If you ever put high-level trigonometry problems on a chalkboard these things would figure it out likety split. Especially the big one. We originally had eight raptors, but when we brought the big one in, she killed six of the others and took over the pride. That one, you can tell by the look in her eyes she's working things out."

"Oh my." Fluttershy squeaked. "I don't think my stare could tame these animals."

"That's why feed them like this. She had them attacking the fences when the feeding ponies came."

"But aren't the electric fences enough?" asked Twilight.

"Yes they are, but they never attacked the same place twice. They were testing the fences for weaknesses systematically."
The crane pulled out the harness that was holding the cow out of the raptor cage. It was torn to shreds by their feeding frenzy.

"Well." said Uncle Orange. "How bout lunch?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the dining area, the group sat at a large rectangular table. Waiter unicorns served them their food.

"Ahh perfect. I am starving." said Rainbow Dash as she and the others dug into their lunch.

"Hmm. Tasty." said Pinkie Pie with the food all over her face.
Of all the ponies, Twilight and Fluttershy didn't touch their food. Watching the velociraptors left them deeply troubled, especially Twilight.
Fluttershy leaned over to Twilight.

"After seeing what happened to that cow, I'm not really that hungry." she whispered.

"I know what you mean." Twilight replied."

"Is everypony excited to see more dinosaurs?" asked Uncle Orange.

"You bet." said Rainbow Dash, the other ponies minus the purple unicorn and yellow pegasus agreed with her.

"Great, because after lunch is the safari tour into the park itself, where you'll get to see the other dinosaurs."

"Will we get to see the T-Rex?" Scootaloo asked excitedly.

"Yes."

"Awesome!"

"And Mr. Orange," Daisy started in. "When we get back tonight I was hoping I could take some time to talk with you about other attractions and pricing for when the park opens to the public."

"Of course Daisy."
Twilight finally spoke up.

"I have to agree with Fluttershy, the lack of respect toward nature surrounding this place is really profound."
The other ponies looked at Twilight a little confused.

"Now Ms. Sparkle." Daisy retorted. "I think you're being a little unfair to Mr. Orange..."

"No hold on, let her talk. I want to hear what she has to say. Go ahead Ms. Sparkle."
Twilight cleared her throat.

"What Fluttershy said earlier in the hatchery lab totally sums up my feelings about this place, and why Princess Celstia and Luna were worried about it too. The power of nature is the most awesome power in the universe, so much so that even Princess Celestia is humble before it. Tampering with nature opens up a range of unthinkable or even dreadful possibilities."

"I hardly see how nature has been tampered with Ms. Sparkle." said Uncle Orange.

"You brought an extinct species back to life using super science, animals that we ponies know nothing about, and we haven't the slightest idea what to expect. If that's not tampering, I don't know what is."

"Now wait, lots is known about dinosaurs."

"We only know biology from their bones, but nothing about behavior, temperament, or what these things are really capable of. And on top of resurrecting these animals back, what makes you think you can control them?"

"Well we have plenty of safety infrastructure in place..."

"That's another problem. Any effort to maintain control requires an incredibly complex system. This system is stretched so thin that slightest unpredictable force, even a tiny one, could make the whole thing go kaphlooey."

"Like a balloon." Pinkie blew up one of the balloons she packed. "Blown up the skin is stretched so thin that one little prick." Pinkie popped the balloon with Rarity's horn. "And the party's over."

"Exactly my point!" said Twilight.
Uncle Orange shook his head in his hooves.

"I simply don't understand why I'm hearing this, especially from Princess Celestia's personal protege. I mean we've done something here that nopony else has ever done before."

"Yes, but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'm sorry I'm not as enthralled you'd like. I love dinosaurs as much as the next pony, and seeing live ones is certainly cool and all, but I wish there was a little more disciplined restraint. What you call great and amazing I have my own word for...science gone haywire."

"That's three words." said Pinkie Pie. Twilight smirked with the look of 'whatever'.

Uncle Orange looked at his watch.

"It's time."

Author's Note:

The Mr. DNA scene was never my favorite part of JP. I decided to jazz it up a bit and make it more like an old fashioned educational film where a little boy asks a lot of questions.

I debated whether or not to include the raptor feeding part as I originally didn't feel it was necessary. I decided to keep it as seeing the raptors devour the cow cements Twilight and Fluttershy's concerns about the park.

The lunch debate between Twilight and Uncle Orange I wanted to be all original dialogue.