• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 2,094 Views, 138 Comments

The Past of a Shy Mare - Songbrony



After receiving a letter from Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy decides to open up about why she's lived alone for so many years. Only one pony knows most of her story, and now she's going to tell everyone.

  • ...
4
 138
 2,094

A Dress for a Friend

I'm not sure how long I spent on the dress, but it wasn't as hard as I had thought. Once I got the outline done and Felix has helped hold some things in place, it was relatively smooth sailing. "Ouch!" I winced, poking my hoof with a needle. "This would be easier if was a Unicorn." I said quietly. I wasn't having an issue making he dress, but I kept poking myself with the needle.

A smile grew on my face as I held it up. It looked better than I had thought it would. "Angel, can you get Rainbow?" I asked him. He hopped over to her as I put my stuff away.

"Gah! Get off of me!" she exclaimed. I heard a loud thud. "Ow."

"I did it! Rainbow, I finished the dress!" I exclaimed, running over to her. "Oh, did I wake you? I'm sorry." I apologized. I had forgotten she fell asleep. "I can come black later, if you want." I said. I didn't want her to be grouchy at me.

"No it's fine." she said yawning. "I didn't mean to fall asleep anyways. Is Felix back yet?" she asked.

"He's downstairs. But you have to see what I made you!" I said happily. I laid it on her bed, hoping she'd be happy with it. The colors were perfectly even with a hint of lightning stardust edging off the end of the hem. I wanted it to match her personality.

"Fluttershy...How did you do this?" she asked, looking at the detail along the edge.

"It wasn't too hard. I used a few techniques from my magazines." I said, smiling.

I saw her eyes move to my hooves. "What happened there?"

"Oh, nothing." I said trying to hide my hoof. She was always worried when I accidentally hurt myself. I liked knowing she cared about me, but she over reacted a lot to it.

"Fluttershy what the hay happened?" she asked again, with more force in her voice.

There's the over protectiveness. I thought. "I'm still learning. I poked myself a few times, that's all."

"You didn't hurt yourself too badly did you?" she asked worriedly.

"That doesn't matter." I said. "You have to try it on!" I exclaimed, not wanting to wait to see it on her. I had a makeshift changing room for when I got better. I waited patiently for her to tell me what she thought, but after a while I became worried. "Does it fit? Do you like it? Oh, you don't do you? I knew I should've used french haute couture." I said, upset that I didn't make something she liked. I had tried so hard too. I guessed her size and wasn't sure if I got the shape right.

She came out wearing the dress and before I could get a good look at her with it, she embraced me in a huh. "I love it, Fluttershy. Don't be so hard o yourself. It's beautiful." she said. I returned her hug, happy that she liked it. "As much as I hate dresses, this is easily my favorite."

"I'm so glad you like it." I said, pulling out of the hug. "C'mon! Let's go show Felix!"

"Whoa, hold on there." she said, stepping away from the door. "As much as I love the dress, I don't want Felix to see it. He'd never let me hear the end of it! It would spread and I'd be thought of as a fashionista."

"Oh, okay. I understand." I said, quietly. Her social status was a huge deal for her. She always wanted to make sure she was liked and that she was tough. It was very different from me. I didn't care about social status. I liked being me and if others didn't, that was too bad. She went back to the changing room and Angel started pushing me towards her. "No, not now." I said quietly.

"Not now what?" Rainbow asked as she walked back out.

"Oh, nothing!" I said, quickly. "Angel just wanted me to feed him." I said. I heard Angel sigh as he hopped away.

"Uh-huh." she said. "Well I'm going to go see what Felix brought us." she said and walked downstairs.

I sighed, closing the door behind her. "She likes it." I said to myself smiling. Angel came up to me and tapped my leg in annoyance. "What?" I asked him. He pointed to the door, so he must have meant what was going on with Rainbow. "I can't. Not yet. I know if I do she'll be weirded out and push away from me." I told him. "She's really big into her social status. I don't want to ruin that for her. Most of the other students at school aren't too accepting of...well, you know."

He groaned and walked over to the desk. "I mean, maybe later when things are different, but right now, she's got a date with Long Horn and I'm not going to get in between it. No matter how much I want to." I said, walking over to the bed. I laid down and stared at the ceiling. Why would she even want to be with me? I'm not tough, athletic, and I'm about as low on the social pole as you can be. She probably only tolerates me because she's known me for so long. I thought. Why can't I be like that?

"Fluttershy! Come down and have some cake." Rainbow called up. I walked down as she got me a plate. "You want an outer or inner piece?"

"I'll take an outer piece." I said quietly. I noticed an open envelope on the table. "What's that?"

"Oh, that's nothing important. Just another letter congratulating me on making Captain of the Weather Team. It's from a co-worker. She was going to quit since the previous one was a jerk, but now that I'm taking over, she said she'd stay." she explained.

"Oh that's good." I said. I didn't necessarily believe her about the letter. She was too normal about it. Usually when she gets something like that she's a little full of herself. Now, she seemed a little nervous. We ate our cake and talked about the dance for an hour or so before finally walking back to our room.

I fell into my bed and rubbed my eyes. I was extremely tired for some reason. I hadn't done anything too energy depriving, but I guess me worrying about the dress could have tired me. I yawned and rolled over onto my side, facing Rainbow Dash. She had turned to face her wall, letting her wings stretch out. They were beautiful. Her wings were elegant and full. The feathers rustled as the wind blew through the window. I spread my wings, and almost felt ashamed of them. My wings were weak and frail. After the hospital, they never were as strong as before. A few feathers were missing from where my parents hit me, preventing some from growing back, and made them look bad.

I felt a tear fall down my face. I know that my wings aren't as important to me as they are to Rainbow, but it hurt knowing that I wouldn't be able to keep up with her in the air. She'd have to slow down or wait for me to catch up. It hurt knowing I would hold her back. I was shy while she was outgoing. I didn't like talking to ponies I didn't know and she had no problem talking to anypony. Maybe I could learn to be like her. I thought. Or maybe I'll just be pathetic like I've always been... I cried into my pillow, trying hard not to be loud enough to wake the pony I loved more than anything.