• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 2,091 Views, 138 Comments

The Past of a Shy Mare - Songbrony



After receiving a letter from Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy decides to open up about why she's lived alone for so many years. Only one pony knows most of her story, and now she's going to tell everyone.

  • ...
4
 138
 2,091

Apple Family Dinner

"So what exactly do you have to do?" I asked Apple bloom.

"Well, first off there's the hay, then the barrels for the apples, the bedding for the pig, and then just garbage we need to toss out." she said.

"Well that doesn't seem too hard." I said. I walked over with her and helped her move a hay barrel to the other side of the barn. They were heavy, even with both of us working on moving it. "And they wanted you to do this on your own?" I asked as we heaved the hay barrel.

"It's not so bad. It's part of my chores that I got to do every now and then. It usually only takes me a few hours." she said.

"A few hours? But what about your school? And your homework?" I asked.

"Like I said it's every now and then. Usually once a month." she said. We heaved another hay barrel.

The barn door opened and the red stallion I saw outside walked in. "Ah need those barrels Apple Bloom." he said in a deep voice.

"Hold your harness, I'm working on it." she said, running over to the barrels. She knocked over a barrel and rolled it over to him. He wasn't looking at her though when she did it and it slammed into his hind leg. "Oops, sorry, Big Mac." she said. He was looking at me and didn't even respond to his sister's apology. "Uh, Big Mac? You okay?" she asked.

"Eeyup." he said. He rolled the barrel out of the barn and pushed it outside to the trees.

I was still staring at the barn door long after he had gone. "Fluttershy? Hello?" Apple Bloom said.

"Huh?" I asked, shaken out of my trance.

"You were staring off into space. You feeling okay?"

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Just..." I said, thinking back to Big Mac. "Just thinking."

"Well we still got some work to do! There's five more hay stacks and the rest of the barrels. I can get the garbage by myself." she said. We finished moving the hay and the barrels to the outside of the barn. It was dark when we had finished and Big Mac wasn't out by the trees anymore. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see him. For some reason, I couldn't get him out of my head.

"Apple Bloom! Fluttershy! Come on in. It's time for dinner!" Applejack shouted by the their house.

"C'mon Fluttershy!" Apple Bloom said as she ran up to her sister. I followed her and was greeted by a older green pony.

"Why hello there, sugar plum!" she said in a high shrilly voice. "So you're Fluttershy? Nice to meetcha!" she said smiling.

"Oh, um, nice to meet you too." I said.

"Now why don't ya' come on in and enjoy some Sweet Apple Acres hospitality?" she said, leading me to the kitchen. The house had a kitchen and a living room with a staircase leading upstairs.

"You guys don't need to feed me dinner. I've got to get home and feed my animals. I have food at home anyways." I said.

"Nonsense! Let us treat you! As payment for helping Apple Bloom out in the farm." she said.

"Thanks Granny Smith. Ya' might just be scarin' her off." Applejack said. "Why don't you stay and eat, meet the family. We'd appreciate it. Right Big Mac?" she asked him.

"Eeyup." he said, walking into the kitchen. I looked at him and blushed.

I quickly turned my face from him. "I guess I can stay for a little while." I said, quietly.

"Yay!" Apple Bloom exclaimed. "You can sit next to me and Big Mac!" she said happily.

"Looks like you've got a new friend." Applejack whispered to me. I took a seat in between the two of them. "How many apple trees did you get through today, Big Mac? Around 3/4?"

"Eeyup." he replied. He sat a tad closer to me than Apple Bloom did, but I didn't say anything. He was handsome and strong. I liked him. Granny Smith brought out the food. Fresh baked apple pie in the center surrounded by salads and apple toppings.

"Wow. It looks good." I said. I had never really seen this much food at a table before. Then again, usually I was by myself or with Rainbow Dash so there was never a big family gathering. They were a family of four, plus me, making five at this table.

"Well we are the Apple family. We make the best gosh darn food for our guests." Applejack said, sitting next to Granny Smith, across from me.

"Alrighty young 'uns. Eat up!" she said. Everyone around me started to grab at the plates. They passed them around the table, but it still looked like everypony was just grabbing things to slam onto the plate. As the plates were passed around, I didn't really grab anything. Everything was going by so fast and so...unnatural that I wasn't sure what to do.

Big Mac nudged me, offering me some salad with apple toppings. "Oh, yes please." I said quietly. He poured some on my plate and placed a few apple toppings into a smile on my salad. It made me smile and blush again. He was being really nice to me. He didn't really talk that much, but I didn't mind.

"Hey Fluttershy?" Apple Bloom asked me. "What's your cutie mark supposed to represent?"

"Well, I'm very good with animals. I can understand what's wrong with them, like if one is sick or injured, and I can fix them up really good." I said.

"Wow, that's so cool! I don't have mine yet, but I'm hoping to get it soon!" she said enthusiastically.

"Well I'm sure you'll get it in something you love to do." I said, smiling at her.

"You still in school, honey?" Granny Smith asked.

"Not anymore. I graduated last year and have been living by myself for a few months now." I said.

"Well isn't that dandy. Shows strength to be able to live on your own just a year after you graduate from school. Ah never finished since Ah was needed here on the farm. But Apple Bloom will be finishing her school since both me and Big Mac are able to handle the farm ourselves." Applejack said.

"Aww do I have to? I don't like school." she said.

"Ya' need to sugarcube. It'll help your future." Applejack said.

"But the kids at school bully me!" she said.

"I was bullied in school too. When I was in Flight School, I was bullied by three pegasi who made fun of me because I was a weak flier. But then another pegasi, Rainbow Dash came by and told them to leave me alone. She was the coolest pony at the school. She wasn't a pony a lot of others messed with. But these three wanted to prove something. So they raced each other. I don't know who won, but I was so happy to have someone to help me stand up to the bullies. And we've been friends ever since." I said. I felt a familiar tingle in the back of my head, like something was trying to burst free.

"Really?" she asked.

I nodded my head. "If you can find friends who will stay by your side when you need them, you'll be set throughout school." I said.

"I guess I could find someone who I share an interest with." she said. "Thanks Fluttershy."

"You're welcome." I said, smiling to her. We finished eating and I helped them wash the dishes. I was surprised by just how many plates and bowls he could carry without dropping them. It was impressive. After we finished with the dishes, Applejack walked me back to the gate.

"Thanks for helping her out like that. Ah never experienced bullies, so Ah'd probably tell her to knock them upside the head." she said.

"Oh, it's okay. I just thought that maybe I could help her by telling her one of my experiences." I said.

"Ah appreciate it. She needs the encouragement. Them dumb fillies Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon just keep pickin' on her that it's aggravatin'." she said. "Anyways, Ah'd like to congratulate ya' on becomin' an honorary member of the Apple family. You helped my little sister out, and you won the affection of ol' Granny. And Ah think Big Mac took a liking to ya' too." she said.

Big Mac walked out of the house towards us. "Ah think Ah'll go back inside and see if they need any help with anything." she said. "Don't be a stranger. We'd love to have ya' back for another meal." she said, and walked past Big Mac back to the house.

He walked up to me, standing tall. I noticed he had a flower in his mouth. When he placed it by my hoofs, I realized it was a pink petunia. I don't know if he knew that this was my favorite flower or if he just had it by chance, but I was touched that he gave it to me. I blushed and took the flower slowly.

"So...Um..." he said.

"I had a lot of fun tonight." I said quietly.

"Eeyup."

"We should hang out again sometime. Just the two of us." I said, a little quieter. I was really nervous. I felt like I was going to hyperventilate.

"Eeyup." he replied.

"Do you know of any good places?" I asked him.

"Well...erm...there's the Hay Café." he said.

"Okay. Don't they have music too?" I asked.

"Eeyup." he said. "Umm...next week? 8 P.M.?"

"That sounds great." I said smiling at him. I felt my face blush again.

"See ya' then." he said, a small smile on his face too.

We went to our homes. The entire time back I couldn't help how excited I was. Oh my gosh...he actually asked me out!! I thought happily. Nopony's ever done that. There was a tingling sensation in the back of my head again, but I ignored it. I hope it goes okay. He seemed really shy for such a strong stallion. Maybe he'll talk more when it's just the two of us on a date. I thought.

I walked into my house and put the flower in a vase with water. For the first time in a long time, I fell asleep with a smile on my face.