• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 2,091 Views, 138 Comments

The Past of a Shy Mare - Songbrony



After receiving a letter from Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy decides to open up about why she's lived alone for so many years. Only one pony knows most of her story, and now she's going to tell everyone.

  • ...
4
 138
 2,091

A Surprising Package

"Whew!" I let out an exhausted sigh. "It's finally done." I held up the dress I had just finished. It took me about three days of constant work while Rainbow was at the Weather Center and constantly hiding it from her. I wanted it to be a surprise when she saw me wearing it. I looked outside and noticed it was midday. "Rainbow will be back in a few minutes. I should probably hide it from her. Angel, could you open the closet please?" I asked as I went back to my desk and took the dress. I walked to the closet and hid it in the back of my clothes. Rainbow rarely went back there, and it was only for when I asked her to grab something, so it should be safe there.

Angel tapped my shoulder and pulled out the journal. He's been doing this a lot ever since he found it. "What? I told you I only want to write in it on special occasions." I said. He glared at me and pointed to my closet and back to an empty page. "What about the dress?" I asked. He shook his head and laid the journal down. He started to dance and waltz with himself. "Oh you want me to write about the dance." I realized. "I wrote about it yesterday. The dance is tonight, so I'll write in it either tonight or tomorrow about how it was.

I took the journal and placed it back in Rainbow's drawer. He pouted and jumped over to my bed. "Do you think that she'll like it?" I asked him, holding a picture of Rainbow and I. "I mean, do you think she's okay with something like this?" I turned to face him and he nodded his head. "Oh, I hope she doesn't think I'm weird. I don't want to ruin our friendship."

He jumped onto my back and pointed to the picture. It was taken on a family picnic we took with Felix. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining down on us. The sky was a magnificent blue with a few clouds flying above us. There was a Cardinal sitting on my head as Rainbow threw an arm around my neck. Both of us were smiling wide grins. I remember that this picnic was after I was bullied more in school last year. I wasn't too happy and felt like nothing, but Rainbow Dash was there to help me feel better. She always had time for me, no matter what. It was the happiest I had been in a long time.

I didn't realize that Angel had lept to the desk and ripped some papers up to make a heart. He placed it above Rainbow's head. "What? You know how I feel." I said, blushing. He pointed at me, motioning to Rainbow and then pointed to the heart. "Wait, you want me to tell her?" I asked, shocked. He nodded his head. "Oh, no no no! I can't do that! I'm not ready! I mean, how do you think she would act? She'd probably think I'm crazy, weird, or even disgusting! And what would the others at school think if it got out? Rainbow's reputation would be destroyed! I couldn't do that to her." I said.

He narrowed his eyes at me. He wasn't buying any of my excuses. "Angel...I can't. I'm afraid of what she'll say." I admitted. He pointed at the picture again and shoved it in my face. "Angel I can't tell her. If I do what do you think she'll think of me? She'll hate me, might even kick me out. I can't risk it until I know for sure." I was letting my mind get ahead of me. I was nervous and it frightened me just to think about asking her.

He waltzed again and pointed back to the picture. "Angel, no. I won't. Not even at the dance. I'm only going because she is. If she wasn't I'd just stay home and maybe listen to the new music she gave me." I said, ending it. She gave me new CDs a few weeks ago. It was one of my guilty sins. I loved Screamo and loud music. I don't know why, but it just appealed to me.

"Hey, Fluttershy." I heard Rainbow Dash say behind me. I let out a small gasp. I didn't hear her come up through the window. "Derpy had a package for you, but accidentally delivered to somepony else's house." she said, placing the box on my bed.

"Oh, my. It's a big box." I said, trying to sound like I wasn't just talking about how I felt about her to my rabbit.. "Who's house did she send it to?" I asked, walking over to the bed.

"Some farmer named Applejack." she replied, peering over my shoulder.

"Who's Applejack? Is she new in town?"

"Yeah, she's the one who helped me get to Captain of the Weather Team." she answered.

"Well that was really kind of her." I said, opening the box. I screamed and backed away. How... I thought. "It's not possible...How did he..." I stammered. I stared at the box containing pictures of me with bruises and journal entries scattered around. But the one thing that caught my eye that scared me more than anything was a paper in the center, written in blood, 'I will find you.'

His face popped into my head. He was laughing at me. I saw him beating me while my mother laughed. "One day, you'll learn why." he said maniacally.

"Fluttershy. Look at me." I heard Rainbow say, breaking me out of my head. I looked at her, shaking uncontrollably. "What was in the box?" she asked. I closed my eyes and let out a whimper in fear. I was frightened beyond anything I could imagine.

"I'll be right back, okay?" she said.

No! Please don't leave me! I thought to myself, unable to voice it. I couldn't believe it. I was being visited by a pony I knew to be dead. How in the world is he back?

"How did she get ahold of those?" I finally asked. My mom had to have been the pony who mailed this to me. It's the only explanation. But it didn't explain the writing. The writing wasn't hers at all.

"I don't know. Didn't you say you lost it?" Rainbow asked. I nodded my head, not letting her know I knew she had it. "Do you recognize the writing?" she asked.

"It's my dad's." I said quietly. He found my journal, he had pictures of my bruises, and he knew where I lived. I have never been more scared in my entire life. I thought I was safe, but now, I was wrong.