• Published 10th Sep 2013
  • 380 Views, 2 Comments

The Adventures of Kaela Fie and Caelus Storm - Caelus Storm



Caelus Storm gets sucked into a world of adventure after meeting a young filly in the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
 2
 380

Part 4: Table Talk

The Adventures of Kaela Fie and Caelus Storm

Part 4: Table Talk

Kaela Fie awoke to the smell of Storm's cooking. She sat up in bed, sniffing the air. Her mouth watered as she picked up the scent of waffle and warm syrup. Licking her lips in anticipation of fresh waffles, she clambered out of bed, running a hoof over her mane once to make sure it wasn't sticking up everywhere. She trotted out of the bedroom and into the living room.

"Morning, Storm," she said cheerfully as she crossed into the kitchen.

The blue pegasus turned and smiled. "Good morning, Fie. You hungry?"

Kaela nodded. "Mm-hmm," she said, seating herself at the table. Storm deposited a plate of four thick waffles in front of her, as well as a bottle of warmed syrup and a glass of orange juice. Fie poured a good helping of syrup on the waffles, then cut off several pieces and stabbed them with a fork.

"Mmm," she mumbled, savoring the taste of the warm, syrup soaked waffle.

"Good?" Storm asked, sitting down across from her with his own plate of waffles.

"Mm-hmm," Kaela said through a mouthful of food.

The two enjoyed a good breakfast, talking about this and that. As He was cleaning up the dishes, there was a knock on the door.

"Who could that be?" Kaela asked.

"One moment please," Storm called out. he put away the dish he had been drying, then dried off his hooves. Kaela looked over the back of the couch as Storm answered the door.

A gray pegasus with a green mane and a courier outfit stood in the doorway. "Delivery for Caelus Storm," he said.

"That's me," Storm answered.

The mail pony gave Storm a letter, and left without another word.

Storm closed the door, turning back into the apartment. He examined the letter.

"What is it?" Fie asked, her curiosity piqued.

"A letter from the Princesses," Storm replied.

"What's it say?" Kaela said.

Caelus cleared his throat and read, "Dear Caelus Storm and Kaela Fie..."

I hope you are doing well. If you have time, I would like to invite you to join myself and my sister for lunch today at 12:30. The guards at the gate will let you in when you show them this letter. We hope to see you soon.

Princess Celestia

Princess Luna

"We get to go have lunch with the Princesses?" Fie asked, brightening.

Caelus nodded. "I guess we are," he said. After all, one did not refuse an invitation from the Princesses of Equestria.

* * *

Caelus sat next to Kaela across from the Princesses. The guards had given him no trouble in entering the palace. the table was set with salads, sandwiches, and soup. Kaela was already on her second sandwich.

"How are you adjusting to life in the city, Caelus?" Princess Luna asked.

"Fairly well," Caelus said. "It's a bit different from Ponyville, though." Especially because I have nothing to during the day, he thought drily.

"And what of you, Kaela? What do you think of Canterlot?" the Moon Princess asked.

Kaela smiled brightly. "It's really pretty. All the purple and gold everywhere." She continued to chatter about all the sights she had seen. she had especially liked the park a few blocks from Canterlot University. She and Caelus had spent several afternoons playing there.

There was a lull in the conversation, and Caelus focused on his sandwich. It was a good sandwich, but he wondered why the Princesses of Equestria would eat such simple food. He finally concluded that it was their way of trying to make him feel more comfortable. After a time, Princess Celestia spoke.

"Caelus Storm," she said.

Caelus looked up in surprise. "Yes, Princess?" he said.

Celestia smiled. "No need for formalities, Caelus," she said. Her smile faded slightly. "However, there is something serious I wish to discuss with you."

Caelus gulped. "Okay," he managed to say without stuttering.

"It has come to my attention that young Kaela Fie may be more magically gifted that I had originally anticipated," Celestia said.

Caelus felt his cheek get warm. "Oh, yeah. That," he coughed.

"Do not worry, Caelus," the Sun Princess continued, "if anything, it was a good thing to find this out sooner rather than later. It does, however, bring a few interesting things to light."

"It does?" Caelus said.

" for one, I shall have Kaela Fie enrolled in my School for Gifted Unicorns. She will learn how to control her not insignificant magic." Celestia held up a hoof when Caelus opened his mouth. "I will, of course, pay for her tuition. In addition to her normal classes, I will be personally working with her, so she can understand her abilities as an alicorn."

Caelus closed his mouth as soon as he realized it was hanging open. "I...but...thank you, your Highness. That is most generous," he stammered.

"And what do you think of this, Kaela?" Princess Celestia asked.

"Fie looked elated/ "When do I start?" she said, all but bouncing in her seat.

Celestia chuckled lightly. "I'll make the arrangements tonight, and you can start on Monday.

Kaela all but squealed with glee, but Caelus was still puzzled.

"Princess," he said, "you said there were a few things you wanted to talk about. I assume Fie's schooling was only one of them?"

Princess Celestia returned her attention to the young pegasus. "Yes, there was something else," she said. "An unfortunate side effect of Kaela attending my School for Gifted Unicorns is she will be noticed by various noble houses. And some of them will want to look into her history and parentage. In order to maintain her cover story, I think it best if you joined the Royal Guard, at least in training."

Caelus nodded after a moment. "Okay. The Weather Team requires all employees to go through basic training and be a part of the Reserve."

Celestia smiled and nodded. "Good. After you drop Kaela off at school, you'll report to Guard Captain Last Bastion, who will give you a general assessment and place you accordingly. Your superior officers will know that you will have...unusual circumstances."

Caelus nodded again. "All right," he said, then smiled. "Nothing could be as bad as Basic."

Celestia and Luna both chuckled, and the rest of the mid-day meal passed in friendly conversation.

* * *

Kaela led Wisty to her room while their respective guardians chatted in the living room. Fie closed the door softly and turned to Wisty, smiling.

"Are you going to tell me your secret now?" Wisty asked.

Kaela nodded. "Yup. But this has to be super duper secret. Nopony else can know. Deal?" She held out her hoof.

Wisty nodded. "Deal," she said, her hoof meeting Fie's. They engaged in a series of hoof bumps; their secret hoof-shake.

"Okay, so after what happened with Overcast, and the meeting with Principal Scrollwork, Storm got this mysterious letter. And you'll never guess who it was from."

"Who?" Wisty said.

Fie giggled. "Guess silly."

Wisty thought for a moment. "Was it Overcast's parents?"

"Nope," Kaela said.

"Principal Scrollwork?"

"No sir-ee."

Wisty thought a bit more. "Miss Maple?"

Fie giggled, "Nope."

"Then who?"

Kaela glanced at the door, then leaned close to Wisty. "Princess Celestia," she whispered.

Wisty's eyes went wide. "No way!"

Fie nodded. "Yes way."

"What'd it say?"

"It was an invitation to join her for lunch at the Palace," Fie said. "She said she wanted to talk to Storm and me about something."

What was it?" Wisty said, hanging onto her every word.

Fie paused for dramatic effect. "She said she wanted to enroll me in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns," she finally said.

Wisty gasped. "No. Way."

Kaela nodded. "Absolutely true."

"So not only did you get to meet Princess Celestia, but she's going to let you go to her school?" Wisty breathed.

"Uh-huh," Fie said.

"That's so cool," Wisty said. Then her ears drooped. "But that means we won't go to the same school anymore," she sighed.

"Hey," Fie said, "that doesn't mean we can't be friends. I'm still living here, and we can always hang out when we're not in school."

Wisty's ears perked up. "That's right! We can still play together. Speaking of which, what do you want to play?"

"Oh, I have an idea," Fie said, "I was reading this story where a Fairy Queen rescued a soldier from a bunch of trolls. So I was thinking..."

* * *

Caelus stares at the notes in his notebook. there were few notes actually in it, and more of it was observation. however, what dominated a majority of the past four pages was neither notes nor observations, but thoughts. He had written down his thoughts in an effort to sort out what happened that day.

Caelus sighed, rolling his shoulders and stretching his wings to relieve some tension. He wasn't stressed, but rather anxious; a feeling of general nervousness. Not for the first time, he wondered if he was really the pony who should be taking care of an alicorn. If he screwed up, she would be affected for decades, maybe even centuries. Caelus stopped his train of thought before it could enter and endless spiral of "what if" questions.

He took a deep breath. he looked out of his bedroom door across the hall to Fie's room. She had left her door open, and Caleus could see the filly sleeping soundly under the covers. He smiled and silently crossed the hall to stand in the doorway. As he stood there, a sense of sureness blossomed in his chest. he may not be the best pony to raise Fie, but he would still do his best.

* * *

Caelus waved to KAela as she disappeared into Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Once she was out of sight, Caelus headed to the Palace. In the training yard behind the Palace, groups of trainees were already starting warm-ups. Caelus donned his training armor and joined the ranks of recruits, many of which were a few years younger than he was. Not that he minded.

His commanding officer was a dull white pegasus mare named Lightning Strike. Her short cropped, two-toned yellow mane stood out in the early morning light.

"All right, rookies, listen up," the Lieutenant shouted. All the recruits stood at attention. "you may think that the Royal Guard is only for show. Well, you're wrong. Our job is to protect not only the Princesses, but all the citizens of Equestria. We have to be strong, fast, and vigilant. If you survive the first week of training, you might, might, have what it takes to be in the Guard."

Caelus notices a few recruits shift nervously, but kept his own face expressionless. He could feel what was coming next.

"Now, I want you all doing wing-ups," Lightning Strike said.

"How many?" one of the recruits asked.

Lightning Strike glared at the pegasus with eyes that may as well be ice. "Until I say stop, rookie," she snapped. "Is that clear?"

"Ma'am, yes ma'am," the entire group shouted.

Caelus propped himself up on his wing tips, crossing his forelegs behind his head. Within a minute, he was working up a sweat. Even though his wings were starting to burn, he almost smiled, thankful that the Weather Team had kept him in shape.

* * *

"Attention!" Lightning Strike shouted.

Caelus got to his hooves, rolling his wings and shoulders before standing at attention. Four hours of warm-ups left him sore and coated in sweat. Working on the Weather Team had kept him in shape, but it had been a few years since he had worked out this intensely.

Lightning Strike surveyed the recruits coldly. "At ease," she called out.

Caelus relaxed his stance, stretching his sore limbs. A few of the recruits sank to the ground in exhaustion.

"All right, rookies," Lightning Strike said, "you're dismissed for lunch. Meet at building E at twelve hundred thirty for tactics."

The recruits broke ranks and headed for the mess hall. Caelus was among them, albeit a little less enthusiastic than some. Still, the thought of getting something in his belly put a slight spring in his step.

* * *

Kaela stepped outside into the courtyard with all the other fillies and colts at Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. So far, it wasn't all that different from Ms. Maple Shine's class, except there was a heavier focus on magic. Her first class had been Math, then Equestrian, and then Magic Theory, which was a fancy way of saying "boring explanation of why unicorns can do magic". Now it was time for lunch and recess. There were several picnic tables to sit at, but most of the seats were already taken.

Then she saw an few spots open at the farthest table away. Once of the spots was occupied by a light purple filly with a blonde mane. The filly was by herself, drawing in a notebook.

Fie approached the filly. "Uh, can I sit here?" she asked.

The purple filly nodded. "Sure," she mumbled, without looking up.

Fie sat down and opened her lunch. As she ate, she glanced over at the other filly. She was still scribbling away, occasionally taking a bite from her own lunch. After a few awkwardly quiet minutes, Fie finally spoke up.

"So, um, what are you working on?" she asked.

The purple filly looked up in surprise. "N-nothing really," the filly stuttered, "just an...idea...I had." her golden eyes didn't quite meet Kaela's.

"What kind of idea?" Kaela asked, interested.

"Oh, um..." the purple filly said, "well, it's a mail bag that's divided into different sections. To...help my mom deliver the mail." The filly tensed, almost as if waiting for Kaela to say something.

"Fie blinked. "That's cool," she said.

The purple filly blinked in surprise. "Wha-huh? Y-you really think so?"

Fie nodded emphatically. "Uh-huh. It's a good idea."

The purple filly blushed slightly. "Th-thanks. see, my mommy has trouble reading somethings, so I thought-" she clamped her hooves over her mouth, eyes widening. "Oh, I didn't mean to say that," she said.

Tilting her head slightly, Fie asked, "Are you okay?"

"Wait..." the purple filly said, "you-you're not gonna make fun of me?"

"Why would I do that?" Kaela said, "That would be mean. and I think it's cool that you want to help your mom."

"R-really?" the purple filly said.

"Yup," Fie said. she held out her hoof. "My name's Windy, by the way. Windy Spirit."

"I'm Dinky. Dinky Doo," the filly said, shaking Fie's offered hoof.

"Nice to meet you, Dinky," Kaela said with a smile.

* * *

Kaela and Dinky walked out of history class together.

"So, what did you think of the lesson?" Dinky asked Kaela. "It looked like you were really paying attention."

"I was," Kaela replied. "I think it was interesting how-" She was cut off when a pink filly pushed between them, followed by a teal filly.

"Watch where you're going, blank flanks," the pink filly with the red mane said.

Dinky stared at the ground and mumbled an apology. Kaela, however, was more vocal.

"Why'd you do that?" she protested. "Who do you think you are?"

"I'm Ruby Polish," the pink filly said, "My dad is one of the largest jewelry salesponies in Equestria." The pink filly looked down at Kaela. "And you. you're dad is in the Guard, right?"

"Yeah..." Fie said hesitantly.

"Hmph," Ruby Polish said, "I wonder how some commoner like you actually got into this school in the first place. Come on, Emerald Dust, let's leave these two peasants."

Ruby Polish walked off with her nose in the air, with the other filly copying her pose.

Kaela looked after the two snobby fillies slightly confused.

Dinky raised her head and looked at Fie. "Don't listen to them, Windy. they've always been like that. I just avoid making them mad."

Kaela nodded. "Okay," she said, and followed dinky to their next class.

* * *

Caelus sat on the couch, reading a mystery novel he found at the library. Kaela was sitting at the kitchen table doing her homework quietly. He was sore after training that day, and it felt good just to unwind and relax.

"Hey, Storm?" Fie asked from the table, "How old were you when you got your cutie mark?"

Caelus raised his eyebrows. "Any reason you ask?"

Fie shook her head. "No. Not really," she said, "Just curious."

Caelus thought for a moment. "Well, I suppose I was a little older than you are now. But I was a bit of a late bloomer."

"Oh, okay," she said, and went back to her homework.

"Is something bothering you, Fie?" Caelus asked, putting his book down and looking at the young filly with concern.

Kaela shook her head. "Nope, I was just wondering."

Deciding not to press Fie, Caelus picked up his book again. "If there is something, you know you can always tell me."

"I will, Storm," Kaela said.

* * *

For the rest of the week, Caelus worked hard training with the Royal Guard, while still making sure to take good care of Fie. he was hard pressed at times, but he managed to always be there to pick her up from school, make her a healthy dinner, and make it to her friends' homes for play dates.

At the moment, he was working his way through the obstacle course Lightning Strike had set up. Seven laps on this monstrosity would tire out the most energetic and enthusiastic recruit. Caelus was on his tenth. Or would be, if he hadn't tripped and gotten a faceful of mud.

"Get your lazy flank out of the dirt Cadet," Lightning Strike shouted in his ear. "I don't know what you think you heard, but I don't recall saying 'stop'. Did I say stop, Cadet?"

"No, ma'am," Caelus grunted.

"Then back on your hooves. I want two more laps from you," Lightning Strike yelled.

Caelus groaned as he stood up.

"What was that, Cadet? I didn't hear you whining did I?"

"No, ma'am," Caelus said.

"The get galloping!" Lightning Strike shouted.

Her tone like a whip, Caelus pushed himself into a steady canter. With every gasping breath, he though to himself, It could be worse, it could be worse, it could be worse...

* * *

Kaela sat Dinky at a lunch table in the courtyard.

"-and that;s how I got invited to the school," Dinky concluded.

"Wow, really?" Fie said. "you must really understand magical theory."

"Sort of," Dinky said, "I'm just good at figuring out how spells fit together. Princess Twilight said I have a very anna...an-a-lit-ik mind."

"That's neat. I just got asked here because I have a lot of magic for a filly my age. Princess Celestia said it was because I'm a-a naturally gifted unicorn." Kaela caught herself before she could give away her secret.

"That's cool," Dinky said, not noticing Fie's stumble. "Really strong unicorns are rare." She lowered her voice to just above a whisper. "I think most of the fillies and colts her just got in because their parents are rich or important."

Kaela looked over and saw Ruby Polish and Emerald Dust coming to their table. "I agree. Incoming bullies, twelve o'clock."

"Excuse me, but you're sitting at our table," Ruby Polish said.

Dinky lowered her ears and mumbled something.

"We don't have to move, we were here first," Kaela protested, "you guys normally sit over there." She pointed to a completely unoccupied table four tables away.

"Where ever I want to sit is my table," Ruby Polish said haughtily. "Now, go sit somewhere else, commoners."

"We don't have to do anything you- Eep!" Fie started only to get pushed out of her seat by Emerald Dust. Kaela sat up, rubbing her head where she bumped it on the ground.

"Windy! Are you okay?" Dinky said, jumping down from her seat, which was quickly taken by Ruby Polish.

Kaela got to her hooves. "Yeah, I'm fine," she said, glaring at the two snobby fillies.

Ruby stuck her tongue out at Fie and Dinky. "Go find your own table, blank flanks," she said taunting. "commoners like you two don't belong here."

Dinky led the way to a different table, while Fie followed, ears drooping.

"Hey, are you okay, Windy?" Dinky asked, "You shouldn't let them get to you. I've found a lot of noble ponies in Canterlot act like that to everypony else."

Kaela forced a smile. "I'll try not to. Thanks, Dinky."

* * *

"Fie? Are you feeling okay? you've hardly touched your food," Storm said while they sat at the table eating dinner.

"Hmm?" Fie shook her head and looked up at the blue pegasus.

"I said are you feeling okay? You seem...distracted," Storm said.

Fie shrugged, "I'm fine, I guess."

"You guess?" Storm said, raising an eyebrow. "Fie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, Storm," Fie insisted.

Caelus was silent for a minute. Fie picked at her food, but didn't eat anything. "Well, if that's how we're going to do this..."

"Huh?" Fie said, "What does that mean- Hey! Storm! Put me down!" She struggled as Storm carried her out of the kitchen and dropped her on the couch in the living room. He sat down next to her.

"What was that for?" she said.

"When I was a colt, my mother would do this when she wanted to talk about something," Storm said. "Now, what's bothering you, Fie? you aren't eating, which is unusual in and of itself."

Fie looked down at her hooves.

"Is it your lessons with Princess Celestia? Are you having trouble with your studies?"

Fie shook her head. "No, all my classes are going well."

"Well, then what's hanging over your head?"

Fie was quiet for a long time. Finally she spoke up. "There's some snobby fillies at school," she said, "They think they're better than half the other foals. they keep making fun of Dinky and me. they say we're just 'commoners', and that neither of us belong at the school."

Fie almost jumped when she felt a warm wing draped over her back. She looked up at Storm, who smiled down at her.

"Come here, Fie," he said softly.

Kaela scooted closer, and Storm wrapped her in a comforting embrace. She didn't cry, but she sought silent solace surrounded by Storm's warm, feathery wings.

"Shh..." Storm murmured, "some ponies just make others feel bad because it makes them feel better about themselves. you shouldn't listen to them. After all, you are an alicorn. Like the princesses."

"And what about Dinky?" Fie said.

"I've met Dinky and her mother. Dinky is a brilliant filly. If she is in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, then she deserves to be." Storm nuzzled Fie. "You both are wonderful fillies. Don't let anypony tell you otherwise."

Fie rubbed her nose and hugged Storm. "Okay. Thanks, Storm."

"Of course, Fie," Storm said, "that's why I'm here. however, I think now it is time to finish dinner. I made cookies for dessert."

Fie hurried back into the kitchen to finish eating, spurred on by the promise of cookies. Storm just chuckled as he joined her.

* * *

She was standing alone in a vast meadow. The wind blew through the grass, tugging at her mane. She spread her wings, letting the cool breeze wash over them, tickling her feathers. Smiling, she trotted off through the grass.

Kaela stopped at the edge of a small grove of trees, then went in. The light filtered through the leaves of the trees, creating dappled shadows over everything sheltered beneath the branches. At the center of the grove was a small, clear pond. Kaela stopped. Across the pond was a beautiful blue-green mare. She had a long, tapering horn and majestic wings that were tipped with green.

"Come, little one," the mare said with a voice that reminded Kaela of a babbling brook and the wind in the trees.

She circled the pond and stood next to the mare. The mare lowered her head and nuzzled Kaela. Kaela didn't flinch, like she expected to. The muzzle was warm and almost familiar. Kaela curled up next to the mare.

"Where are we?" she asked.

The mare smiled down at her, and said one word, "Home."

Kaela sat upright in bed. "What was...?" The image faded from her mind, leaving her feeling like she left something important behind. She lay back down, but it was a while before she fell back asleep.

Author's Note:

Whew! this took FOREVER to write. sorry it took me so long to actually get something posted.
this Part had some tricky moments to write (SO MUCH FREAKING DIALOGUE!) but I like how this turned out. The next part or two will some things really starting to get going. And then things will get INTERESTING.

*cackles maniacally*

Fie: Storm, Stop. you're gonna scare off all your readers.

fine. See you all later. As always, comments are appreciated.

-C.Storm
(and K.Fie.)