• Published 10th Sep 2013
  • 380 Views, 2 Comments

The Adventures of Kaela Fie and Caelus Storm - Caelus Storm



Caelus Storm gets sucked into a world of adventure after meeting a young filly in the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
 2
 380

Part 2: Guardian

The Adventures of Kaela Fie and Caelus Storm

Part 2: Guardian

When Kaela Fie awoke, she was slightly confused. Where was she? All she knew was that she was surrounded by a comforting warmth. She snuggled deeper into the bed, reluctant to leave it behind.

She dozed for a while longer, but eventually found she could not stay still any more. She opened her eyes and found herself covered by something blue, feathery, and warm. she twisted around and saw a still sleeping Storm, his wing draped like a blanket over her. She smiled. She nuzzled his side lightly, then wriggled out from beneath the feathered appendage, trying not to wake up the sleeping pegasus.

She jumped off the bed, though misjudged the height. she stumbled when she hit the floor, tumbling forward and landing painfully on her muzzle.

"Oof," she said. her eyes teared up reflexively, and she clutched her nose with her hooves. "Ow," she whined softly. She pulled a hoof from her face. No blood. That was good. Rubbing the tears from her eyes, she got to her hooves. she looked around the room. It was dark, but light filtered through a gap in the curtains.

Kaela trotted over to the curtained windows, pushing past the drapes. The window will was above her head, but if she stood on her tippy-hooves, she could just see out the window. She blinked at the bright light. The sun was shining, but was still somewhat low in the sky. The city of Canterlot gleamed in the early morning sun. Kaela was entranced by the scene, but soon grew bored. She left the window and went back to exploring the room.

There was an empty fireplace to one side of the room with a clock above the mantle. Kaela watched the pendulum swing back and forth for a few seconds before looking at its face. she tilted her head to one side, trying to make sense of the symbols. They didn't look like numbers, more like letters. She raised her hoof and counted off the marks. The big arm was between the third and fourth marks, and the little arm was between the seventh and eighth marks. After a few more seconds, the filly left her spot in front of the fireplace.

The room was well furnished. Near the center of the room was a couch, two chairs, and a low table. The cushions looked super soft and cushy, and Kaela entertained herself for a few minutes bouncing on the couch. she continued to look around the room. the was a wardrobe against a wall, and Storm's saddlebag was leaning against it. As Kaela walked around the room, a flicker of motion caught her eye. she turned, startled, and was staring at another filly. She stared back at Kaela with wide purple eyes.

Kaela raised her hoof, and the other filly did the same. She approached the other filly, and the filly did the same. When she was within touching distance, Kaela reached a hoof towards the filly. Instead of encountering another hoof, she touched a hard, smooth surface.

"Oh," Kaela said, "It's a mirror." she made a silly face at her reflection, then another, then a third. Then she noticed how messy she looked. Her mane was sticking up all over, and her feathers were ruffled and disarrayed.

She tried patting down her mane with her hooves, and was met with limited success. She twisted around and straightened her feathers. Once her wings and mane were in order, she continued to circle the room. There wasn't much else to do.

Kaela walked back over to the bed. She coiled up and jumped, just making it up. she crossed the bed to where Storm was sleeping. She nuzzled Storm's head.

"Storm?" she said, her voice just above a whisper.

Storm mumbled something and shifted slightly.

"Storm," Kaela said, louder this time.

The pegasus mumbled again. "Fi' mor min'ts."

Kaela narrowed her eyes slightly, then grinned mischievously. "Hey, Storm. It's morning and it's time to get up," she shouted, shaking Storm vigorously.

Storm bolted upright, tangled himself in the sheets, and tumbled off the bed. "WHAAAG," he yelled.

Kaela peered over the edge of the bed.

"'M up, I'm up," Storm said, getting to his hooves.

Kaela giggled. Storm's mane was spiked every which way.

"What?" the pegasus asked.

Kaela giggled again, pointing at Storm's mane. Storm ran a hoof over his head, partially taming his wild mane.

"Better?" he asked. Kaela nodded, still smiling.

Storm nudged open the curtains. "Agh! Bright light! Bright light!" He stepped back, rubbing his eyes.

Kaela just collapsed on the bed, laughing. It was a magical sound, like several tiny silver bells. Storm smiled.

"I see you slept well," he said.

"Yup," Kaela said as her laughter subsided. "So what're we gonna do today?"

"Well, first we should get clean," Storm replied, "I'm not the only one whose mane needs a good brushing."

Kaela hopped off the bed, careful with her landing this time. Storm found the bathroom, and found that instead of a tub, there was a large pool. He tested the water. It was pleasantly warm. There were washcloths and bottles of shampoo and body wash already set out.

Kaela stepped cautiously onto the first step. "Ooh...it's warm." She dunked her head under the water, then re-emerged.

Storm stepped in, allowing himself to relax. He let out a soft sigh.

The two ponies soaked for a few minutes before starting to get clean. Fifteen minutes later, two freshly washed and brushed ponies left the bathroom.

"Hey, Storm?" Kaela asked.

"Yes, Kaela?" he replied.

"When's breakfast?"

"We'll just have to ask, won't we," he said. He rang the pull-bell. Not two minutes later, a mare in a maids outfit pushed open the door.

"You called?" she said.

"Yes. We were wondering if we could get some breakfast?" Storm replied.

"Actually, the Princesses requested that you join them for breakfast if you were awake," the maid said. "Follow me."

Kaela looked at Storm who motioned for her to follow him. She trotted next to him as the maid led them through the castle.

* * *

Princess Luna was discussing the plans for the day with her sister over breakfast. Her sister was reading the morning paper while sipping from her sip of tea. Luna herself partook of a much stronger cup of coffee, with several sugar cubes added. She was about to take a bite of a strawberry pastry when a knock on the door startled her.

"Enter," Celestia said.

The door to the dining hall was pushed open, and one of the castle maids led in a slightly apprehensive Caelus Storm and a happy looking Kaela Fie. Caelus bowed to the princesses. Kaela Fie sniffed the air, and looked like she was about to start drooling.

Luna suppressed a giggle, covering her smile by taking a sip from her coffee.

"Please, do join us," Celestia said, her voice warm.

Kaela Fie ran up to the table, hopping onto a chair placed there for that purpose. Caelus approached much more slowly. By the time he sat down Kaela had already decided to transfer a stack of four waffles to her plate and add a healthy helping of syrup. Caelus looked slightly confused at how she had done that so quickly until he saw her levitating a fork with her magic. She started cutting off pieces of waffle and putting as many on the end of her fork as she could before transferring the food to her mouth.

Caelus started with a short stack of three pancakes avoiding direct eye contact with the princesses.

Luna found the differences in their attitudes to be almost comical. Caelus was trying hard not to show how tense he was, while the young Kaela Fie was very relaxed. Though that may have been just because she was hungry. The filly was thoroughly unashamed about levitating two more waffles to her plate. Caelus noticed, blinking in surprise.

"Kaela, don't eat so fast," he said, blushing slightly, "you'll get a tummy ache."

Kaela swallowed her mouthful of food. "But I'm hungry," she protested.

Caelus opened his mouth to reply when Celestia chuckled. Caelus blushed deeply.

"It's alright, my little pony," Celestia said, "you can eat as much as you like."

Kaela smiled and polished off the rest of the waffles on her plate.

Caelus looked like he was going to say something, but closed his mouth.

Luna turned her giggles into a light cough. This pegasus really had no idea how to act around the princesses. He was clearly uncomfortable being around such important ponies.

"So, Caelus Storm, I understand you work on the Ponyville Weather Team," Luna said.

"Y-yes, your Highness," the pegasus said.

"So, tell me, how does the weather team deal with the sudden storms that come from the Everfree Forest?" Luna asked.

Caelus started explaining the procedures that the weather team used for thunderstorms, hail, and even micro-bursts. After a short while, he opened up a little bit. He spoke more freely, and his shoulders dropped slightly as he relaxed.

They conversed for half an hour before Celestia excused herself to attend her daily duties. As her sister left, Luna rose to her feet. Caelus hastily stood up too.

"Follow me, please," Luna said.

Caelus tensed up again, but joined her, followed by Kaela Fie.

* * *

Caelus followed Princess Luna through the halls of the castle. Kaela trotted happily next to hem, humming softly. Caelus found himself smiling at the filly's antics.

The Princess led them to what looked like a sitting room. It was well lit, with the sun shining through the large windows. There were several comfortable looking cushions arranged on the floor.

"Please, make yourselves comfortable," Princess Luna said.

Caelus picked a spot across from the princess, and Kaela curled up next to him, resting her head on her hooves.

"Now," Princess Luna began, "my sister and I have agreed that you need to know about the implications of being a Guardian."

"Like what?" Caleus asked, then remembered his manners, "Princess."

Luna smiled slightly. "While we are alone, please just call me Luna."

"Yes Prin-er...Luna," Caelus said.

"Now, to answer your question, there will be several things," Luna continued. "Chief among them being that Kaela Fie's magic will start to rub off on you."

"Like, I'll be casting spells?" Caelus asked, incredulous.

Luna chuckled. "No. Nothing like that. For one, young Kaela Fie is an immortal alicorn. Her magic effects things in close proximity to her. The longer you remain around her, the more it will effect you. The biggest change will be that your lifespan will be lengthened."

"What?" Caelus said.

"Not indefinitely, mind you," Luna continued, "but it will add a few decades to your life, at most."

Caelus shifted on the cushion.

"Another thing you will notice is that your natural pegasus magic will be enhanced. you'll be able to fly faster for longer, and your reflexes will become stronger," Luna said. "For unicorns, their magic becomes stronger and their minds sharper, and for earth ponies they become sturdier and heartier, and their natural magic is strengthened."

"I...see," Caelus said hesitantly as he let all of this soak in.

"What about me?" Kaela spoke up.

"Ah, yes. Just as you will rub off on Caelus Storm, some of him will rub off on you," Luna said. "For one thing, you will come to regard Caelus as your, for lack of a better way of saying it, your parent. However, his nature will also rub off on you. His usual ways of thinking, his attitudes, even some of his mannerisms. Also, you'll be able to sense some of his emotions," Luna spoke to Caelus again. "This goes both ways. The Guardian and the alicorn foal form a strong mental bond. they will be able to sense each other's emotions. The stronger the bond, the greater the degree to which you'll be able to sense the other's feelings.

Caelus nodded. "Like telepathy."

"Yes, in a way," Luna said, "although to a much lesser degree. this also means that you will be able to find Kaela Fie if she ever gets lost,just as she will you."

"Okay," Caelus said. He thought for a moment. "How did Princess Celestia know Kaela had been asleep for over two thousand years? If I didn't know any better, I would say she is only six years old."

"That's because she is," Luna replied, "or at least, biologically she is. Her mother probably put her in stasis while she was in Deep Sleep, so she wouldn't wake up alone."

"What do you mean?" Caelus asked.

"Caelus, the last alicorn besides myself and my sister disappeared over 1,500 years ago," Luna said. "At the time of Kaela Fie's birth, it was not uncommon for alicorns to be hunted by the dark forces that roamed the world. Kaela Fie's mother probably hid her, knowing she was not going to survive."

Caelus nodded, not wanting to pursue the subject further. "So, she really is only six years old?"

"That she is," Luna replied.

Kaela squirmed a little, getting bored with all the discussion.

Luna smiled at this. "Sorry, Kaela Fie. I know this is not very exciting. However, this next part concerns you."

Kaela looked up at the Moon Princess, interested.

"Now, due to her age, we must make sure that young Kaela Fie learns to control her magic," Luna said. "Fortunately, she is past the age where she would have magic surges. But she still will need to be taught the basics. Therefore, we have decided that she should be enrolled in magic kindergarten."

Kaela's eyes lit up. Caelus looked thoughtful.

"Won't an alicorn attending magic kindergarten cause a stir?" he asked.

"It would," the Princess said, "which is why we will hide her wings with a disguise."

"Okay." Caelus said with a nod.

"I get to go to school?" Kaela said, a smile on her face.

"Yes, my little pony," Luna replied, returning the filly's smile.

* * *

The next few hours were spent giving Caelus and Kaela a tour of the castle. Princess Luna informed Caelus that Celestia had insisted that they stay in the castle. Caelus only nodded unwilling to try and argue with either one of the nation's monarchs. He was pleased when Luna told him he would have access to the Canterlot Library; the public parts anyway. At least he would have no shortage of books to read.

Lunch was had in the gardens. Even Princess Celestia joined them for the simple meal of sandwiches, fruit, and lemonade. She politely inquired as to Caelus' and Kaela's day was going.

Caelus gave a few short replies but Kaela Fie responded enthusiastically about all sorts of things she had seen, with typical child-like perspective. The Sun Princess smiled at the filly's antics, giving proper responses of interest or wonder to Kaela's chattering.

"And the guards were a little scary at first, but they didn't move at all," Kaela said, "even when I made a really silly face at them." She scrunched up her nose, puffing out her cheeks in an imitation of said "silly face".

Princess Luna hid her smile behind a hoof, while Princess Celestia chuckled at the the filly. She was about to ask Kaela a question, when one of her gold-armored guards approached and whispered something in her ear.

Celestis nodded, serious. "Thank you," she said to the guard. " I must go," she said, "someone is requesting audience with me. It was lovely sharing lunch with you, Kaela, Caelus." The Princess Left, flanked by two guards.

The trio of ponies remained silent for a moment, which was broken by the sound of light giggles. Caelus turned to see Kaela laughing, with a bright yellow butterfly on her nose. The butterfly fluttered its wings and left its perch. Kaela giggled and chased after it, her own wings spread wide.

Caelus followed her with his eyes as she wandered around the garden. She stopped chasing the butterfly when it flew over a hedge. She stopped and sniffed a flower, then trotted over to the base of a statue. It was a statue of an earth pony mare holding a scroll in her forelimbs. The filly stared at the statue fora minute before moving on. She walked over to Caelus, a smile on her face.

Caelus raised an eyebrow at the approaching foal. "Yes?" he said, returning Kaela's gaze.

Kaela raised a hoof and lightly booped Caelus' nose. "Tag! You're it," she said, running away giggling.

Caelus blinked, then jumped to his hooves. "Oh, no you don't he said with a grin, chasing after Kaela. The filly squealed with delight as she nimbly dodged the pegasus. And that began their game of chase. The two ponies entertained each other for the next several hours, though their game evolved from tag to hide and seek to "chase the alicorn around".

Caelus finally flopped onto his back, panting and sweating from the exertion. Kaela walked over to him, staring down with her head tilted to one side.

"Okay," Caelus gasped, "you win."

Kaela grinned. she lightly pushed a forehoof against Caelus' nose. "Boop," she said, then started giggling again.

Caelus heard Princess Luna chuckle, and blushed. He had forgotten that the princess had been watching the entire time. He was about to start stammering an apology, but Luna spoke first.

"No need for apologies, Caelus Storm," she said, "but you two should probably get ready for supper."

Caelus and Kaela were led back to their room. He and Kaela both took a warm bath, cleaning up after their play in the garden. After being bathed and brushed, Caelus and Kaela went to go eat dinner. It was rude to keep the Princesses waiting.

* * *

Caelus closed the book he was reading. It was getting late, and he really should begetting to bed. However, after the events of the day, he had needed to lose himself for a while in the pages of a book.

Kaela was asleep on the bed, tired after the day's adventures. Caelus smiled. That little filly was just a little bundle of energy. She seemed to delight in everything, finding wonder in the ordinary. His smile turned to a slight frown. He thought about everything that Princess Luna had told him earlier today. He shook his head. He wasn't ready to raise a foal, let alone one that would eventually become a goddess. Hay, he wasn't even thinking about finding a special somepony yet.

Maybe there had been a mistake, a cosmic mix-up that had brought this about. he had no special skills. He was a simple weather pony. He wasn't exceptionally fast, or strong, or smart. He really had no traits that set him apart from the next pegasus. He was thoroughly ordinary.

Kaela made a sleepy noise from the bed, turning over in her sleep. Caelus felt a smile come to his lips. He set down the book and walked over to the bed. Turning off the light, he slid under the sheets. Kaela snuggled closer to his side, murmuring something. Caleus draped a wing over her, nuzzling the top of her head.

"Sweet dreams, my little Fie," he whispered. He rested his head on the pillow and immediately fell asleep.

Author's Note:

REMINDER: "Kaela Fie" is pronounced "Kay-lah Fee".

Here we are! Finally got this typed.
So, we have some exposition, and a good dose of Fie being her usual adorable self.

As with everything, I like feedback. Comments if you have them.

-C.Storm
(and K.Fie)