• Published 10th Sep 2013
  • 380 Views, 2 Comments

The Adventures of Kaela Fie and Caelus Storm - Caelus Storm



Caelus Storm gets sucked into a world of adventure after meeting a young filly in the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
 2
 380

Part 1: Godling

The Adventures of Kaela Fie and Caelus Storm

Part 1:Godling

A blue pegasus stallion flew through the late afternoon air with practiced ease. Below, he idly watched the residents of Ponyville go about their daily business. The ponies were out enjoying the sun, which was shining bright and clear thanks to the efforts of the weather team.

The pegasus banked left, and began a slow, spiraling descent. His hooves clopped lightly on the ground as he landed in front of a modest house at the edge of downtown Ponyville. He pushed in his front door and entered the house. The living space was simply decorated and surprisingly clean for the home of a young bachelor stallion. The pegasus shut the door behind him with a light kick. It was still too early to be thinking about dinner, so the pegasus headed upstairs. He grabbed a clean towel from the linen closet, and headed to the bathroom. Work with the weather team had been a bit harder than usual today, with a light storm blowing in from the Everfree Forest around mid-morning. It had been strange, coming with no warning, but it was quickly chalked up to Everfree's unpredictable weather.

The stallion scrubbed the sweat of honest labor from his body, glad to finally be clean. He emerged from the bathroom, still in the process of drying his mane. He still had a few minutes before he met up with some of his friends for dinner. He went into his bedroom, hanging the towel on a hook. the room, like the rest of the house, was simply decorated. There was a bed, a set of double bookshelves, a dresser, and a nightstand. The pegasus lay down on his bed and picked up the book on his nightstand. He glanced momentarily at the framed picture that sat next to the lamp.

It was a picture of a flame haired mare and a gray-blue stallion. The words Fly high, Caelus Storm. Spitfire and Soarin were written across the bottom in black marker.

The blue pegasus opened his book to where he had left off the night before. He managed to finish two chapters pf the adventure novel before he had to go meet his friends. Putting the book down, he trotted downstairs and left his home. He had told Summer Skies that he would meet her in town square.

"See you tomorrow, Storm," Summer Skies said, as the blue pegasus banked towards his house.

Caelus Storm walked inside. It was late, but not late that he was ready to go to bed. He decided to finish up his book. He only had three chapters left to go. After he finished the final chapter, he turned off the light. Work tomorrow was bright and early, and he needed his rest.

* * *

There was rain scheduled for that day. An early report from Rainbow Dash said that a storm was gathering in the Everfree Forest, so they were going to just let that one blow through. Caelus spent most of his time helping the ponies of Ponyville prepare for the storm, whether by taking down loose branches or by picking up sticks in the park.

By lunchtime, the sky was darkening, and ponies were hurriedly finishing up the last of their errands before the storm hit. Caelus was helping a pink-maned yellow pegasus carry her groceries home. Her cottage was at the edge of Ponyville, right next to the Everfree Forest.

"Um, thank you for your help," the yellow mare said, her voice just above a whisper.

"It was nothing, Fluttershy," Caelus said. A sudden gust of wind carried with it a rolling boom of thunder. "Though, I better get going if I'm gonna make it home before it starts raining."

"Oh, um, good-bye, Mister Storm," Fluttershy murmured.

"Bye, Fluttershy," Caelus said, waving as he trotted down the path.

No sooner had Fluttershy closed her door when the wind really started to pick up. Rain started falling lightly. Caelus muttered a curse. He didn't want to risk injury by flying in the gathering storm. He decided to take a short cut home by skirting the Everfree Forest, then cutting across the park. Even though the rain started to pick up, Caelus skirted the forest by several hoof-widths. No one willingly went into that place.

As Caelus reached the park, though, he came to a stop. He pricked his ears up, trying to make certain he had heard what he thought he had. A clap of thunder caused him to flinch. He strained his ears, and heard it again.

"Hello? Is anypony there?" a faint voice said.

Caelus blinked in surprise. The voice came from the Everfree Forest. Why would anypony be out there in the middle of a storm? He stopped at the edge of the forest, hesitating before trotting through the underbrush.

The voice grew louder as Caelus drew closer. It sounded like it was coming from the other side of a screen of underbrush. Caelus started pushing his way through the thick vines.

"Eep!" the voice said. "H-hello? Is somepony there?" A pause. "Somepony that isn't a monster."

Caelus pushed his way through the last of the vines, and entered a small clearing. He stopped short. in the middle of the clearing was a young unicorn filly. Her blue coat was covered in mud, and her light blue mane was soaked and tangled. Upon seeing him, the filly jumped in surprise, then curled up, making herself as small as possible. She peeked out from behind her hooves, staring at Caelus with big purple eyes.

"um, hello," she whispered, her voice barely audible above the storm.

Caelus was about to question the filly when a deafening clap of thunder boomed overhead. The wind was gusting so hard that several small branches were falling off of the surrounding trees, with the larger ones creaking threateningly. Caelus knew it wasn't safe to be outside right now.

"Come with me," he said to the filly, urgency coloring his voice. "It's not safe out here."

He hoisted the filly onto his back, and took off as fast as he dared through the forest. When he arrived at his home, he was soaked to the bone. the filly on his back was shivering.

Caelus had trouble closing the door once he was safely inside. The sounds of the storm were muffled by the walls. He shook the worst of the water out of his mane. He carried the filly upstairs and filled the tub with warm water, just deep enough to give the filly a bath.

"Let's get you cleaned up," he said to the filly.

"Okay," the filly said.

Caelus lowered her into the water. He left to go get a wash cloth a wash cloth and towel from the linens closet. When he returned, the filly had submerged all but her head in the water.

"Mmm...warm," she crooned.

Caelus let her soak for a minute before he tackled the mud caked on her back with soap can the wash cloth. When most of the mud was washed away, Caelus stopped. The little filly let her wings spread slightly to get the last bit of mud out of her feathers. She didn't notice that Caelus was staring at her in shock.

By Celestia, he thought, she's an alicorn. Caelus forced himself to keep calm. He didn't need the filly to panic.

The filly splashed playfully in the tub, giggling with childish delight. Caelus took a deep breath, and started washing the filly's mane and tail. Once she was clean, Caelus drained the tub and dried the filly off. he brushed the tangles out of her hair. Clean, he noticed that her light blue mane had traces of pale lavender in it. Her coat was a deep royal blue, much darker than his own blue coat.

"Now, can you wait while I get clean too?" he said to the filly. She nodded.

Caelus took a quick shower, cleaning the mud from his coat and hooves. He dried himself off, and ran a brush quickly through his black and gray mane.

He emerged from the bathroom, and found the filly sitting near the top of the stairs. She had her head craned around and was using her teeth to straighten the feathers on her wings. She jumped to her hooves when she saw him.

"You startled me," she said, blushing slightly.

"Sorry," Caelus said. He was somewhat surprised by her word choice. She couldn't be no more than six or seven years old. "Would you like something to eat? It's almost dinner time."

The filly nodded eagerly and followed Caelus downstairs to the kitchen. She jumped up onto a chair at the table, while Caelus pulled out everything he would need to make a dinner for two. He was glad that he had bought fresh groceries the day before. He made several sandwiches, salad, and a plate of hay fries. He poured a glass of fresh apple juice for the little filly, and one for himself.

The two ate in silence, the filly because she was enjoying her meal, and Caelus because he couldn't think of anything to say. He had at least a dozen questions buzzing around in his head, but ever time he was about to ask one, the words stuck in his throat.

The filly was halfway through her third sandwich, when she paused. Swallowing the mouth full of food, she looked at Caelus.

"Um, Mister Pegasus?" she asked timidly.

Caelus jumped slightly. "I'm sorry, I never introduced myself. My name is Caelus Storm. Though my friends just call me Storm."

"Oh, okay," the filly said, "well, thank you Mist...Storm."

"Of course," Caelus said, "I wouldn't want anypony to be out in this weather." Thunder boomed overhead, seeming to emphasize his point.

"Anyway," Caelus said after a short pause, "do you have a name?"

The filly opened her mouth, then stopped. She blinked, then frowned. "I...I don't know," she said, puzzled. "I know I have one, but I...I can't remember." Her expression changed from confusion to sadness. She looked like she was about to cry.

"Hey, now," Caelus said, "don't cry. I'm sure you'll remember eventually."

The filly wiped her eyes with her hoof. "Okay," she said softly.

"Maybe you could try to think back. What's the first thing you remember?" Caelus asked.

the filly thought for a moment. "I remember waking up in a cave in the forest. It was sunny, the the trees made everything seem dark. I started walking around. After awhile, it got really cloudy and started raing. And then you came through the trees, and brought me here."

Caelus was stumped. If this filly was right, then she may as well have been born today. Where had she come from? And what was she doing in the Everfree Forest? Caelus was so absorbed in thought that he almost didn't here the quiet sobs coming from the filly.

"What's wrong?" he said, concerned.

"I...I can't re-remember anyth-thing," she sobbed, "I-I'm lost..."

Caelus went over and draped a wing over the distraught filly. "Shh...it's okay," he whispered. "I'll tell you what, why don't we sleep on it? Maybe you'll remember something in the morning."

"Okay," the filly murmured. She followed him up to his bedroom, where he tucked her in. He turned out the light, but before he could leave, the filly spoke up.

"Storm? Could you stay until I fall asleep?"

Caelus smiled. "Of course I can," he said. He waited until the filly's breathing slowed and she drifted into Luna's embrace. he crept out of the room and grabbed a spare blanket from the linen closet. He settled down on the couch and, after the events of the day, was all to willing to get some sleep.

* * *

Princess Celestia looked out of her bedroom window. From here, she could see Equestria spread out before her. The moon was shining brightly, wrapping the world in its soft, silvery light.

You should be sleeping, Celestia, she told herself. Yet she couldn't. Something in Equestria was off. She could feel traces of powerful magic; a tingling in her horn and at the base of her wings. Luna had felt it too, and she was just as restless. She had gone to her room to attend to her duties as Princess of the Night, and watch over ponies' dreams.

The Princess of the Sun took a sip of the tea she had requested from the palace kitchens. However, she was still tense. It was her duty to prepare for any possible threat to Equestria and protect her subjects.

Her door was thrown open, startling Celestia into nearly dropping her tea. In the doorway was her sister. Her mane was slightly disheveled, and she wasn't wearing any of her royal regalia.

"Luna, what's wrong?" Celestia asked. Luna took her dream duties seriously. For her to abandon them in the middle of the night...

"Sister, we have found it. We must move now, before it is too late," Luna said urgently, slipping back into her usage of the royal "we".

"Luna, slow down," Celestia said. "You are not making any sense."

Luna took a deep breath.

"Now, explain again," Celestia said, her calm voice betraying her anxiety. "And this time, please make sense."

Luna glared at her sister. "I found it while dreamwalking, and I know for certain that it is what we seek."

"Luna, stop being cryptic," Celestia said, annoyed. "What is 'it'?"

Luna took a deep breath, and whispered one word. "Godling."

Celestia's eyes widened. "Where?"

"Near the Everfree Forest," Luna replied.

"Get dressed," Celestia said. "We leave at once."

* * *

It was just before dawn when Caelus was startled awake by a knock at his front door. He groaned and rolled off the couch, running a hoof over his mane to make himself at least somewhat presentable. He opened the door.

"Hello, can I help-" he stopped. Standing before him were the two most important ponies in Equestria.

"Princess Celestia! Princess Luna!" Caelus breathed, bowing.

"We need to speak in private," Princess Celestia said. She wore a serious expression, which was mirrored by her sister's.

Caelus gestured for the princesses to enter. Closing the door behind them, he made sure that the lock was set. He followed the two rulers into the living room. He gulped and tried to make himself as small as possible.

Celestia's horned glowed yellow for an instant. "Now we won't be overheard," she said. "What is your name?"

"C-Caelus Storm, your Majesty," Caelus stammered.

"Do you know why we are here?" Princess Luna said, her eyes darting around the simple living space.

Caelus gulped again. "N-no, your Highness," he said, "but I th-think I could guess."

Before the princesses could question him further, a voice called from the base of the stairs. "Storm? Are you there?"

The little filly stood in the doorway, rubbing the sleep from her eyes with her hoof. "I had a strange dream and..." the filly stopped abruptly when she saw the princesses standing in the living room. her eyes widened and she hid around the side of the door frame.

Celestia raised an eyebrow. "Perhaps you should explain yourself," she said.

The two princesses stood silent for a long moment after Caelus finished explaining how he had found the filly in the Everfree Forest. The filly herself was sitting on a chair, occasionally stealing nervous glances at the princesses.

Caelus fidgeted nervously while he waited for the princesses to respond. His wings ruffled slightly from his inner anxiety. The filly noticed, and shrunk down on the chair, trying to make herself even smaller. Caelus felt the urge to put a comforting wing around the filly.

Celestia spoke, "First, before anything else, we must know the filly's name." Celestia approached the filly, who whimpered slightly in fright. "It's okay, my little pony," Celestia said, her voice warm and soft. "This won't hurt. I promise." She lowered her horn to touch the filly's. The Princess' horn began to glow faintly yellow. The filly closed her eyes and visibly relaxed. Her own horn started to glow light blue.

Her eyes shot open. "I know," she murmured. "I know my name." She giggled. "My name is Kaela Fie."

Celestia smiled and stepped back, the glow fading from her horn.

Caelus looked confused. "What does that mean?" he asked.

"It is an old language," Celestia said, "In modern Equiish, it translates to 'Cloud Wing'.

"However, there is something else we must fin out," she continued, "and this involves you, Caelus Storm. Luna, you are better at this than I."

The dark blue alicorn approached Caelus, horn glowing. Caelus flinched when she touched his head, but stayed still. His whole body tingled, the sensation tickling his spine, causing the tips of his wings to twitch. A strange warmth seemed to come from his heart.

Suddenly, it was all over. Caelus shook his head to clear the dizziness as Luna returned to her sister's side.

"It is done," Luna said to Celestia.

Celestia's smile faded slightly. She looked at Caelus with an intensity that made him fidget.

"What is done?" he gulped, nervous.

Celestia sighed. "You, my little pony, are a Guardian."

"A...a what?" Caelus stammered.

Celestia was about to reply when Luna interupted.

"Sister, it is nearly sunrise," she said, "we must return to Canterlot soon."

Celestia sighed again, and looked directly at Caelus. "You must come with us," she said, "You have five minutes to get together you belongings."

"Wh-what?" Caelus stuttered, "but I have work. Oh, Rainbow will be really Mad if I leave like this on such short notice."

"This is important," Celestia said, "I am sorry. Now hurry, we don't have much time."

Caelus ran up to his room for his saddlebag. he tossed in the book he was reading, a bag of bits, and his flying goggles. From the bathroom he got a toothbrush, toothpaste, a brush, and a spare towel.

He trotted back downstairs to the waiting princesses.

Celestia nodded, her horn glowing. there was a bright flash of light, and suddenly, all four of them were standing in a well decorated study,

Caelus fought a wave of nausea, but managed to stay on his feet.

"you did well," Princess Celestia said, "Most ponies vomit after their first teleportation."

Caelus swallowed. "Can't imagine why."

"My sister and I must raise the sun and lower the moon," Celestia said. "Please, stay here. We'll talk when we return."

The two princesses left the room. leaving Caelus and Kaela Fie alone. The filly immediately curled up on one of the cushions on the floor. She was asleep in minutes. Caelus was too nervous to sleep. He paced the length of the room several times, trying to relax.

It felt like hours passed before the princesses returned. Caelus stopped pacing and turned to face Princess Celestia, who sat behind her desk.

"Now, I know you have questions," Celestia said.

Caelus nodded, but it took him a moment to find his tongue. "Where did she come from?" he asked.

"I do not know," Celestia replied. She held up a hoof to forestall any remarks from Caelus. "You must understand, alicorns don't follow a life cycle like that of normal ponies.

"When an alicorn foal is born, they only remain awake for a short time. After three days, they fall into a Deep Sleep. their body's metabolism all but stops, and they appear to be all but dead. usually, the parent leaves the foal in a safe, hidden place, and protects it. The foal will normally remain in Deep Sleep for eight years. In that time, their body and mind have matured enough for them to fend for themselves with help from their parent.

"However, something is different about young Kaela Fie. From what I can tell, she awakened before she reached full physical maturity, but her mental maturity is more advanced. Which is strange, considering how long she's been asleep."

"And how is that?" Caelus asked.

"About two thousand years," Celestia replied, "give or take a decade."

Caelus blinked in surprise. He glanced at the little filly, who was still sound asleep. She looked to be only six, but was born 2,000 years ago. It didn't make sense.

"So...does that mean I took the filly from one of you?" Caelus gulped.

"No, and therein lies another mystery," Celestia said. "Neither Luna nor myself have had any children."

Caelus let that sink in. If Kaela Fie wasn't Celestia's or Luna's child, then whose was she?

"I know you are about to ask, but no, neither of us know who her mother is," Princess Luna said.

Caelus was silent for a long time. "What did you mean when you said I was her 'guardian'?" he finally said/ "I only found her in the forest. That doesn't make me her legal guardian or anything."

"Let me explain," Princess Luna said, "When any foal is born, they imprint upon their parents naturally. However, alicorn foals imprint later, after they awaken from their Deep Sleep.

"Kaela Fie's mother, for whatever reason, has lost her. When Kaela Fie awakened, she was driven to look for a pony to call her parent. She imprinted on you, so you are now her Guardian."

"But...how did you know she...imprinted...on me?" Caelus asked. "It's not like this is a common thing to happen.

"Not anymore," Celestia said, "but long ago, there were more alicorns. And it was rare, but sometimes a foal's parent would perish. It was a dark time, and such things did happen. The first Guardians ended up taking the parent's place. any pony that became a Guardian was tasked with raising the foal, and protecting them from harm."

"B-but I don't know anything about raising a foal," Caelus exclaimed, "I'm barely old enough to be considered a stallion myself."

"Fate has bound you to this filly, Caelus Storm," Celestia said, "Such a bond can only be broken by death."

Caelus gulped. "I-I don't know what to do," he murmured.

"We can help you," Luna said, "But the task of being this filly's Guardian falls onto you and you alone."

Caelus felt weak in the knees, but he nodded." I...I'll do it."

Celestia nodded. her horn glowed, as did Luna's. "Caelus Storm, the duty of protecting and raising the filly, Kaela Fie falls onto you. You must raise her as your own. you must protect her should she be threatened. Do you accept the burden of this task?"

"I-I do," Caelus said.

"Then by the power of the Sun and Moon, I bind your fate to Kaela Fie's."

When the glow faded from the princesses' horns, Caelus felt himself grow dizzy and weak.

"come, I will show you to a room where you can rest," Princess Celestia said. She put Kaela Fie on her back, and led Caelus through the halls of the castle to a guest bedroom. She set the filly on the bed.

"Rest for now," she said to Caelus, "ring the pull-bell if you need anything." With that, the princess left Caelus alone.

Caelus dropped his saddlebag on the floor. he needed to catch up on missed sleep. He crawled into bed, careful not to disturb the filly.

Kaela Fie shifted, cuddling closer to Caelus. Caelus smiled and, draping a protective wing over her, fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Pronunciation Guide:

-Caelus Storm: (Kigh-lus Storm)
-Kaela Fie: (Kay-la Fee)

Yes, Kaela Fie's name is spelled unusually for what it looks like it should say. More information will show up in my blog post.
K.Fie: *waves to all the new people and ponies*
Anyway, as always, I want your feedback. Comments please!

-C.Storm