• Published 22nd Aug 2013
  • 4,685 Views, 192 Comments

Unfamiliar Patterns - TheVClaw



Rarity realized a long time ago that Zecora wasn't scary or threatening. But after agreeing to help the Zebra to help overcome her own guilt of avoiding her for so long, will the unicorn realize something more?

  • ...
21
 192
 4,685

Three Months Prior

Three Months Prior…

Rarity sighed in bliss as she sat alone in front of her sewing machine. While most days in the spring season were fairly gratifying to the mare, mostly since it was the perfect time to premiere her favorite sundresses and shades for ponies all around to see, this particular day was especially nice. Since a storm was scheduled by Rainbow Dash and her Weather Crew for the next day, Rarity was able to appreciate a cool spring's day during her morning errands, not feeling the slightest burn of Celestia's sun as it became covered by the first layer of stratus clouds that were laid out across the skies.

And since the spring months usually brought forth the excitement of every young filly and colt who wanted to enjoy the new season without wearing multiple layers of clothing, most of her younger sister's time was spent outside with her friends, leaving Rarity to appreciate the rare feeling of serenity within her own home.

As the unicorn lit up her horn, Rarity beamed with delight as she levitated the newest roll of dark-blue velvet her direction, her eyes fixated on how smooth and flawless the material looked under the cool morning light. Even with the massive amount of work she managed to accomplish over the years, Rarity was usually a bit disgruntled that her number of clients wasn't as high as she expected it to be. However, as she admired the texture of the floating velvet in front of her with a hoof, Rarity sighed in relief, grateful that her slow work day would grant her the ability to actually appreciate a peaceful moment like this.

Just as Rarity lowered the roll onto her table to make the appropriate cuts and measures, a knock at the door caught her attention, making her beam as she remembered what today was supposed to be.

As the knocking continued a few more times, Rarity happily trotted through her Boutique and reached the door. Lighting up her horn, Rarity kept a smile on her face as she used her magic to wrap a blue aura around the door handle and open the door. As the door opened to reveal her expected guest, Rarity carried a warm smile on her muzzle as she gave her usual greeting.

"Well, good morning, Zecora!"

Smiling back at the unicorn, Zecora happily nodded as Rarity stepped back and extended her hoof to allow her inside.

"Such a pleasure to see you,” said the zebra as the walked inside the Carousel Boutique. "And good morning to you, too."

After her aura of magic closed the door behind them, Rarity happily trotted back through her home towards her kitchen, smiling as she heard the kitchen timer go off just as she predicted.

"Ah, perfect timing!" said Rarity as she looked back to Zecora, who was placing her large cloak on the coat rack near the door. While the zebra began to readjust the saddlebags resting on her striped back, Rarity went into the kitchen to collect what was in the oven.

As her magic turned off the oven and opened the door of the stove, Rarity smiled in satisfaction as she saw the perfectly golden pieces of pastry resting on the baking sheet. While she may have not been as good of a baker as Pinkie Pie or Applejack—or even Fluttershy, surprisingly enough—Rarity still took pride in what cooking skills she did possess, including making absolutely divine cinnamon rolls for this fabulous morning.

While her aura picked up the baking sheet and carefully placed it on top of the stove, Rarity's gaze went towards her fridge as a separate aura opened the door, before it gripped a large plastic bowl that was cooling inside. By the time she got out a mixing spoon for the frosting inside, Zecora smiled and walked into the kitchen with her supplies.

"Even from the front door, I could tell…" began the zebra as her hooves stood on the tiled floors, "what you've made, from that familiar smell."

"Well, the smell of baked goods always makes a home more inviting, don't you think?" As Rarity spoke cheerfully, she used her magic to carefully apply a spoonful of creamy icing to each roll, giving the kitchen an even stronger aroma as the sugary mixture began to melt on the still-hot pastries.

"Besides,” Rarity continued, "this morning felt just absolutely perfect for making cinnamon rolls."

As Rarity turned back to the zebra with a grin, Zecora returned a smile before she turned to her saddlebags. While the cinnamon rolls cooled, Zecora opened a flap on her saddlebag. Her muzzle went inside one of the pockets, fidgeting a little as she grasped what she was looking for with her mouth. After getting what she wanted, the zebra walked over to the kitchen counter before she placed a large glass bottle on top.

"Here's your order, just like I said,” said Zecora as Rarity walked over, beaming in delight. "Conditioner, for tail and head."

"Oh, thank you so much, Zecora!" praised the unicorn as her horn lit up. "I really do appreciate you delivering it over here like this."

Before Zecora could say anything to indicate there was no problem with coming to Ponyville for a delivery, she watched as Rarity's magic quickly levitated over a small bag of bits.

"Here's your payment,” Rarity said cheerfully as she floated the brown bag inside one of the pockets of Zecora's saddlebag. "And I included a little extra to show my appreciation."

Despite the mare's generosity, Zecora sighed as she looked back at the open pocket, already seeing just from the size of the change bag inside that Rarity's idea of “a little extra” was at least a 50-percent tip.

"Now Rarity, I told you before,” stated Zecora as she turned back to the mare with an insistent look on her face, "there is no reason to pay me more."

"But I insist,” Rarity said. "I know it's a rather long walk to get here from the Everfree Forest, so to add a tip for your troubles is the least I can do."

Before Zecora protest further, Rarity brought her hoof up and pressed it against the zebra's muzzle.

"And I am not going to be flexible about this,” Rarity said sternly, keeping a smile on her muzzle before she dropped her foreleg back down. Even though she wanted to say something about Rarity's insistence, Zecora only stood silent for another moment before her shoulders slumped down and she sighed in defeat.

"Now,” continued the mare as she turned back to the cinnamon rolls, "I do believe these have cooled down enough by now. And I know that Twilight is planning on coming over for a small brunch shortly."

Rarity then turned back to the zebra, keeping a warm smile as she asked, "Zecora, would you like to join us for brunch?"

Despite appreciating her offer, Zecora only sighed once more before she replied, "While a brunch with the Princess does sound rather nice, I've been asked by the spa mares for herbal advice."

Rarity only nodded in understanding before turning back to the cooling cinnamon rolls. Ever since Zecora stopped being seen as a threat in Ponyville, Aloe and Lotus at the Ponyville Spa had been especially insistent on learning the zebra's herbal remedies. Knowing how important Zecora's knowledge was for the mares over there, Rarity knew that there was no use trying to keep her at the Boutique any longer than necessary.

Lighting up her horn once more, Rarity pulled out a white paper bag from one of the drawers before carefully placing several of the rolls inside. "Well,” she began, trying not to sound disappointed, "I guess I can't argue with that, then. I know how much Aloe and Lotus appreciate your help, so I won't hold you back from that if you're needed."

Before Zecora could say anything regarding Rarity's tone of voice, the unicorn turned back to her with a more carefree grin on her face, smiling as she levitated the small bag in front of the zebra.

"But before you go,” Rarity said cheerfully, "here's a few cinnamon rolls to show my appreciation."

A new smile came up on Zecora's muzzle at seeing the bag, grateful that Rarity was gracious enough to make some for her. While she wasn't necessarily a large fan of getting extra tips since she was well-off enough, Zecora still appreciated Rarity's cinnamon rolls—something she'd come to enjoy whenever she came by to drop off an order.

Nodding happily to the unicorn, Zecora picked up the bag from Rarity's aura with her mouth before carefully placing it in her saddlebag. As she looked back up, Zecora kept a warm smile of her own as she addressed the unicorn.

"Thank you for the treats. They are quite a delight."

Before she could finish her statement, Zecora noticed the pony behind her. She then turned back to Rarity and completed her rhyme.

"And now, I'll leave you to your brunch with Twilight."

As Zecora turned to leave the kitchen, she gave a kind nod to the lavender alicorn as she walked past her. Keeping a smile on her muzzle, the Princess gave a nod back before speaking to her.

"Always a pleasure to see you again, Zecora."

"And it's great to see you,” said Zecora as she spoke to Twilight Sparkle, smiling before turning back to Rarity one last time.

"And Miss Rarity, too."

With that, Zecora gave her final nods before heading back to the front door, taking her cloak as she left Rarity to have her brunch with Twilight. While the zebra made her way out the front door to head towards the spa, Twilight Sparkle kept her attention on Rarity in the kitchen, grinning as she smelled the baked goods lingering in the air.

"Well,” Twilight began, "I don't think I need to ask what you made for brunch today."

Hearing pleased tone in her voice, Rarity kept a light smirk on her muzzle before picking up two plates from the cabinet with her magic.

"Well, cinnamon rolls sounded like an excellent treat to make this morning.” Rarity placed two rolls on both plates, being careful not to drip any excess icing on the cleaned countertops. "Besides, it makes a divine fragrance for the Boutique when I make them. I might have to see if anypony makes a scented candle of that variety."

Twilight nodded in agreement at Rarity's idea, noting how amazing the fragrance of cinnamon and icing made the entire home smell right now. Carrying the two plates in her aura, Rarity headed towards the kitchen table with the Princess in tow, placing the cinnamon rolls on the table before she went back to get two glasses.

While Rarity got the refreshments ready, Twilight sat down at the table before she spoke to the unicorn.

"Rarity,” Twilight said as Rarity levitated a pitcher of milk out of the fridge, "can I ask you something?"

"Well, of course, dear,” Rarity replied as she looked back to Twilight with a smile. "What is it?"

"Well…”

As Rarity began pouring milk into the two glasses through her magic, Twilight felt a slight hesitation regarding the question she was about to ask. Even though she didn't feel like it was her place to intrude on a pony's personal life (despite being a Princess now), Twilight still felt the question nagging at her as it stayed in her mind.

Putting caution to the wind, Twilight tried not to show any discomfort as she said carefully, "I was just curious as to why you made cinnamon rolls today. Because I noticed that whenever you make them, it's always at the same time Zecora comes over."

As she finished pouring the milk, Rarity turned back to Twilight with a confused look on her face, surprised that Twilight would make a connection like that.

"Well that's not necessarily true,” Rarity retorted as she brought the glasses to the table. "I make cinnamon rolls all the time. I find it to be a nice thing to make for special occasions."

"That might be true,” Twilight said as she watched Rarity sit across from her, waiting until she got comfortable before she lifted one of her cinnamon rolls and continued to speak. "But it seems that, whenever Zecora comes over, you always have cinnamon rolls made beforehoof."

Even though Rarity tried to appear skeptical regarding Twilight's claim, the Alicorn still noticed a very brief cringe on Rarity's face for less than a second, giving the Princess a better incentive to keep going as she spoke.

"Rarity, is there a specific reason for that? I mean, I know that making cinnamon rolls can be a tricky thing to do, so I know there has to be a reason for you to act like this."

As she waited for a reply, Twilight noticed how Rarity was looking away from her, biting her lip as she tried to avoid eye contact. Noticing how her face scrunched up at this confrontation, as well as the slight pink hue developing on her white cheeks, Twilight's eyes widened in surprise as she came to the revelation.

Looking back to the Princess with worry in her eyes, Rarity noticed how Twilight had a more intense look on her, narrowing her eyes before she spoke.

"Wait a minute…” Twilight put her cinnamon roll back on her plate. "I… I think I know what this is about…”

Rarity groaned a little and looked away from Twilight, not wanting to deal with whatever uncouth assumption her friend might be thinking right now. Rarity tried not to hear what her friend was going to say and avoided Twilight's stare as she kept speaking.

"I might not be a psychologist or therapist, but I've seen that face before, Rarity. I've seen you act like this for ponies before, and I know exactly what it is you're feeling."

Rarity pursed her lips shut at hearing that, not wanting to make any replies at the moment. She began to feel more uncomfortable in front of her friend. Before Rarity could calm down enough to say something in response, Twilight kept speaking as her tone became more confident.

"Rarity, you don't have to be ashamed for feeling like this. However, I think you should know what it is you're feeling, since I don't think you realize it yourself."

Rarity's eyes widened as she looked back at her, shocked that Twilight would actually be acting like this right now. Not wanting Twilight to assume anything as crazy as what she thought she was saying, Rarity threw up her hooves in protest and tried to stop her from continuing.

"Wait just a minute, Twilight Sparkle! I haven't the slightest idea what it is you're assuming, but I can assure you that you're wrong!"

Twilight just kept a skewed eyebrow as she stared at her friend with a light smirk, giving an obvious look of skepticism at Rarity's reply. Displeased at seeing Twilight act so confident about something like this, Rarity huffed a little before the kept speaking, a more irritated tone in her voice as she tried to stop Twilight's guessing.

"I mean it! I don't know what you think is going on, but this isn't because of anything like… like, unresolved feelings! What exactly do you think I'm feeling for Zecora, anyway?"

Keeping her smirk, Twilight crossed her forelegs across her chest before giving her answer.

"Guilt."

Of all the answers she was expecting, Rarity wasn't predicting that one at all. Staring at her friend with wide eyes, Rarity blinked a few times and tried to comprehend what Twilight just said, leaving her speechless for a moment. Her cinnamon rolls began to get cold. Shaking her head clear, Rarity managed to muster up her ability to speak again as she kept her eyes on Twilight.

"Gu… guilt?! You… you think I'm doing this out of guilt? Twilight, why in Equestria would you think something like that?"

"Well, you tell me,” said Twilight as she uncrossed her hooves and lifted her cinnamon roll again with her magic. She kept staring at Rarity as she continued in a convinced tone of voice, "Whenever you feel guilty about something, you go out of your way for anypony you feel you wronged. You use your generous nature to help ponies in need, but you become especially generous to them when you feel guilty about something."

"Oh, come on, Twilight!"

While Rarity could see from her smirk that Twilight was convinced of her theory—who still looked confident despite chewing a muzzle full of frosted pastry right now—she didn't want her to think she was right about this.

"Zecora is a good friend who happens to make absolutely divine hair products! What do I have to feel guilty about? In fact…"

Rarity propped her hooves on the table as she leaned in toward the Princess across from her, narrowing her eyes as she tried to falsify Twilight's claims.

"Tell me one time that I acted unnecessarily generous to somepony because of guilt."

Twilight shrugged at the unicorn's question, waiting until she swallowed her muzzle-full of cinnamon roll before she replied.

"Alright,” Twilight said in a more matter-of-fact tone of voice, "remember when you took a bite out of Mister and Misses Cake's Marzipan Mascarpone Meringue Madness, and then you volunteered to work at Sugar Cube Corner for two weeks straight afterward?"

Rarity tried not to wince at hearing that, looking away from Twilight before she replied, "Oh, come on, Twilight! That shouldn't count! Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy helped work that off as well."

“Yes,” Twilight said, "but you were the first one to offer your assistance to pay off the damages, AND you started before the two even knew what all happened!"

Sitting in silence, Rarity kept her gaze away from her friend as she realized her point. Remembering how disappointed the couple looked when they found out what happened to their cake, Rarity didn't even wait for Pinkie to tell them the full story before she grabbed an apron and began helping out at their shop. While the Cakes managed to forgive her and the other two ponies for almost ruining their chances of winning that contest, Rarity still felt bad about what happened, feeling rather stupid that she let her midnight cravings do something like that.

"Also,” Twilight said as she grabbed Rarity's attention again, "there was that time you felt so bad about that jealousy bit you had with Fluttershy that you got her that ridiculously expensive necklace for her birthday."

"Oh, please,” Rarity objected as she looked away from Twilight, "that wasn't that expensive."

"Or…" Twilight paused for a moment, breathing in deeply before she brought up her final point. "Remember after the Royal Wedding?"

Despite trying to keep her composure, Rarity openly cringed and turned away from Twilight, not needing to be told what she was referring to.

"Twilight, you really don't have to bring that up."

"I'm just trying to bring up a point,” Twilight said as she kept going. "You didn't sleep for six days straight the moment we got back to Ponyville, and you made me so many dresses that I had to build a separate closet to hold all of them!"

Seeing how distraught Rarity looked, Twilight sighed before she put out a hoof and rested it on the unicorn's shoulder. She took a breath before speaking sincerely.

"Rarity, you know I don't have any hard feelings about all that happened. I already forgave you and everypony else for what happened at the Wedding Rehearsal before the Royal Wedding even began."

"But..."

Despite knowing that Twilight was speaking truthfully, Rarity still sighed before she turned back to Twilight, looking saddened as she spoke in an ashamed tone.

"But you could've been killed, Twilight! We all left you alone with that… that thing, and we easily could've lost you right then!"

"Rarity, nopony knew it was Chrysalis. Heck, even I didn't know! I just thought Cadance turned evil or something, and I acted like a total foal when I barged in at the rehearsal like that. I should've had more evidence before I started acting like that, or at least talked to Celestia about my presumptions beforehoof. I don't blame you guys at all for not listening to me."

"But I should've said something!" Rarity protested in an insistent tone as she kept venting. "I mean, I watched your brother say all those things to you, and I… I didn’t even try to console you! You may have been acting crazy, but leaving you like that wasn't right."

"Rarity,” said Twilight in a warm tone as she kept her hoof on her shoulder, "you're still a great friend. You helped me out and fought those Changelings the instant you and the others realized what was going on, and you've been a great friend ever since. I already forgave you a long time ago, and there's no reason for you to still act guilty about it."

Even though she could tell that Twilight meant every single word of her statement, it still took a moment before Rarity sighed, waiting a little before she looked back to her and gave a light smile.

"Th-thanks, Twilight."

"No problem,” said Twilight as she put her hoof back down and rested in her chair again. "You really shouldn't let your guilt take over you like this. And feeling guilty certainly shouldn't be an incentive to be more generous towards others."

As Rarity took in her friend's words, Twilight lifted the second cinnamon roll from her plate before she finished her statement.

"Just like how you don't have to keep making cinnamon rolls whenever Zecora comes over."

Even though Rarity nodded in agreement, Twilight could still see how upset she was. Before Twilight could say anything, Rarity lifted her head back from her sullen state and spoke up.

"It's just that…” Rarity looked down to her hooves, fidgeting them a little before she continued, "It's just that Zecora was living here for years before you came along! And to think that I just kept ignoring her whenever she came by, despite how nice she really is!"

Rarity then closed her eyes and sighed, pausing for a moment before she continued.

"All… all because she looked different."

Realizing how much this was getting to her friend, Twilight put down her cinnamon roll before she put a hoof out to Rarity. "Rarity, it's alri—"

"No it's not!" shouted Rarity as she looked back up at Twilight. "My mother always taught me that I should never, ever judge somepony by their appearance! And what did I do? I did that exact thing!"

Taking a moment while Rarity breathed heavily across from her, Twilight waited until she was calm enough before she replied, "Rarity, you know that Zecora already forgave everypony a long time ago. She's not upset about that kind of thing anymore, so you really shouldn't be like this."

"I know,” Rarity said meekly, breathing in again before she added, "I just… I just want to do something to make up for all those wasted years."

As she felt Twilight's hoof on her shoulder again, Rarity kept her gaze downward at the table, looking at their plates for a moment before she completed her statement.

"I want to do something to make up for that. Something… something better than cinnamon rolls."

After another moment of silence between the two, Twilight Sparkle managed to help calm down Rarity enough before they went back to their brunch.

While the two got to talk about more pleasant things and make Rarity smile once more, neither of them noticed how the kitchen window beside them was open the whole time. Standing outside Rarity's Boutique, Zecora kept a surprised look on her face as she stood beside the window. The zebra was speechless for a moment from hearing their conversation, standing wide-eyed as she let Rarity's words sink in.

After standing in that space for a while, Zecora managed to shake her mind back awake before heading off to the spa. Thinking about Rarity's guilt, Zecora felt rather surprised that the unicorn still felt so bad about that. Even though she really didn't have any hard feelings about being seen differently by ponies all those years ago, Zecora was still surprised that some ponies still felt bad about their actions.

Looking back to her saddlebag as she walked, Zecora took note of the tip and rolls inside, sighing as she realized the truth behind those offerings. Knowing something had to be done, the zebra looked forward and continued to walk as her conscience began to concoct a plan.