• Published 11th Sep 2013
  • 997 Views, 37 Comments

Lavender Ponyville - Quadraginta



Just what secrets lie in the purple-hued town that exists only in the dream world? And what secrets lie in it's landmark tower?

  • ...
1
 37
 997

Chapter 1: Lavender Ponyville

Twilight stood in the middle of her library, without memory of how she got there, or why she was even there. True, it IS her library. True, she DOES live here. But she never remembered letting the place grow an atmosphere this dismal. She never remembered the library being this....empty. All the books were missing, and the air itself seemed to give off a palpable feeling of dread and forboding, yet at the same time wonder and curiosity.

Twilight noticed something else, too. Everything was covered in a lavender-hued aura. If you looked at something, you also saw a lavender hue just floating right over it. Everything glowed purple, though as much as Twilight loved lavender, she did not like the feeling of this.

She took a walk around the library, examining the interior in full detail. Nothing seemed right. Not a single square millimeter of the library seemed right. Everything had the same lavender hue to it. The windows were boarded up for no apparent reason. Not only that, but everything also seemed....fuzzy. It was almost dream-like, the way everything looked and felt. But it also felt too vivid to be just a dream. Twilight, however, knew better than to just brush it off as too vivid to be a dream. Dream or not, though, Twilight was going to get to the bottom of this, and no creepy lavender aura was going to stop her from doing so.

Twilight walked over to the front door and slowly pushed it open. As she expected, the entirety of Ponyville itself was covered in the same, dismal lavender that coated the inside of her library. She stepped outside to get a better look. Not only was Ponyville covered in lavender, but many of the buildings had boarded up windows.

Twilight suddenly remembered something.

"Spike," she whispered. "Spike!" She searched all around the library for him, for any trace of him, anything that might tell her where he was. Maybe a note or something that told her she went out. But no, she found nothing. She began to grow worried. She then turned around, and the scene before her instantly changed. She began to calm down at this point. She now knew she was obviously dreaming. This happened to her all the time in her dreams, and to most dreamers in general. Turn around, and the dreamscape before you suddenly changes.

Where Twilight now appeared to be standing in her dream was the center of Ponyville. It was completely empty, and nopony was out. Twilight was completely alone, with nopony to pester her, free to explore the dreamscape at her leisure. Just the way she enjoyed her dreams.

She saw something in the corner of her peripheral vision. She turned her head to see a large, imposing tower next to her. It was huge, and it appeared to be made of red bricks. Still with a purple aura, though.

"That's strange," Twilight said to herself. She had dreamed of walking through Ponyville many times, but never before had she dreamed of a strange-looking tower suddenly appearing in her dreams. Or the town being covered in a purple hue, but that's beside the point. She walked up to the front doors of the tower and knocked lightly. No answer.

She gently pushed the doors open. They opened without resistance. She stepped in, her hoofsteps echoing off the walks of the inside of the large room she entered. It was a huge, circular room, completely featureless, except for what looked like a "help" desk, and a sprial staircase on the other side of the room.

The doors closed behind her when she entered. Twilight examined the room closely, but found nothing. She then ascended the stairs.

Upon reaching the top of the staircase, she saw two dark figures in the middle of a room identical to the one downstairs. One of the figures was laying on it's back, while the other figure was standing before it. The one lying on the floor looked to be a normal mare. In fact, the shadow looked vaguely familiar to Twilight. It looked like...

"Fluttershy?" Twilight said. She was about to walk over to the figures, until the figure standing up stomped on the figure on the floor. The figure on the floor let out a cry of pain. It sounded all too much like Fluttershy.

The figure stomped on Fluttershy again, causing her to scream once more. Twilight was about to run over and help who she thought to be Fluttershy, but she felt a pulling sensation upon her body. It grabbed her and forced her back, where she felt a sense of dread and helplessness as she saw one of her best friends pummeled to death right before her eyes.

Then she remembered, she was just dreaming. She let out a small sigh of relief. This was just a dream. Fluttershy would be ok. The real Fluttershy.