• Published 11th Sep 2013
  • 997 Views, 37 Comments

Lavender Ponyville - Quadraginta



Just what secrets lie in the purple-hued town that exists only in the dream world? And what secrets lie in it's landmark tower?

  • ...
1
 37
 997

Chapter 13: Can't breath

"I thought I was done for." Pinkie had held an exhausted Twilight in her arms, who would have been unconscious at this time. Had she not already been unconscious.

"I thought I was going to lose another friend," Twilight said in response to Pinkie's statement. "I wasn't going to let that happen, though. No. I won't let that happen. Never." Twilight smiled weakly at her friend.

"Can you stand?" Pinkie asked Twilight after they rested for a while.

"Yeah." Twilight stood up, slowly, and nearly fell back down, but she managed to keep her hooves firmly planted against the ground. Her head was throbbing, and the world seemed to be spinning, yet at the same time, remained rock-solid.

"Are you sure you can stand?" asked Pinkie.

"I'm sure." Twilight tried to smile reassuringly at Pinkie, but they both knew that it came out weak and feeble. They ignored it, however, and kept moving.

They descended the staircase until they reached the bottom. At the bottom was a single door floating in black space. They opened the door and stepped through.

The door slammed shut behind them. They were in a small room with a large, wide ramp that extended upwards at an incline.

"A ramp?" asked Pinkie. "After we just got done walking down stairs?"

"Well, no point in complaining," said Twilight. "After all, we've got our friends to save." She placed one hoof on the ramp, right before she felt her momentum suddenly shift, and she was sliding upwards on it.

"What the-?" Twilight stammered, before she slipped and fell down, still sliding upwards on the ramp.

Pinkie was next to start sliding up the 'ramp.' She, herself, started sliding.

"What is this?!" Twilight yelled as she tried got back up on her hooves, all the while still sliding.

"I don't know," said Pinkie. "I also don't know whether I should be enjoying this or not."

"I know I'm not." said Twilight.

They slid upwards on the 'ramp' for a while. Time seemed to drag on as their hooves slid across the smooth surface of the 'ramp.' Finally, though, they reached the end of the 'ramp' and it was over for the moment.

"I did not expect that," said Twilight.

"Neither did I," muttered Pinkie.

There was a long, dark hallway in front of them from where they stood, dimly lit by torches that periodically dotted the walls. The hallway was long and uninviting.

"Shall we?" asked Twilight with a modicum of playfulness.

"We shall," Pinkie replied with the same tone of voice.

They walked down the dark hallway. Eventually, they reached a point in the hallway where there were no more torches. Twilight used her magic to hold a torch in front of them, but her grip on it was weak. She was still exhausted from her magical burst from the previous encounter with the Denizens.

Come to think of it, unleashing her full magical potential upon the Denizens was pretty much useless. They couldn't die and they would just come back and try to kill her again. Granted, her emotions took hold of the situation, but even at the moment, a part of her that wasn't wracked with fury knew that she was wasting her magic. Yet, she still unleashed her magic anyways.

She gripped the torch as tightly as she could with what little magic she had left and continued along the length of the hall. Was it just her, or were her breaths becoming more and more laboured as they continued walking down the hallway?

She took a deep breath, but she couldn't seem to get enough air into her lungs. This didn't make sense, though. She was dreaming. She didn't need air in a dream. Her sleeping body was breathing plenty fine by itself. Wasn't it?

Wait. Her body. Her actual body. Was there something going on with it?

She stopped in her tracks and collapsed to the floor, her chest growing tighter and tighter with increasing pain.

"Twilight!" Pinkie exclaimed in fear as she knelt before her friend. "Twilight!"

"Pink....ie...." Twilight stammered. "Can't....breath.....chest....tight.....Can't...."

"Unless you got a heart virus, this really isn't the time for you to start dying on me, Twilight!" Pinkie said in desperation. She struggled to think of a way to help her friend who was in pain, but she came up short. Just what was going on?

"Gonna...try to wake up......stay....safe, Pinkie...." Twilight wheezed. She tried to focus her magic, but it seemed hopefully. She had officially drained herself on the Denizens earlier. It seemed hopeless, but she had a very strong feeling that her physical body was in grave danger. She had to wake up. Or at least try. She had to try.

Twilight snapped her eyes shut and grunted with the effort. How hard is it to wake up, anyways? Rarity had done it so easily....wait. Rarity had woken her up so easily and effortlessly when Twilight herself couldn't even so much as cast a waking spell. So maybe it wasn't her physical body in danger. Maybe it was still in-dream.

"Pinkie....!" Twilight yelled. "Nevermind! I think....problem....in dream....!" Twilight then started coughing. She hacked and coughed and coughed until she felt as if she would cough her own lungs out.

"Twilight!" Pinkie yelled. "Please don't die on me! Please!"

Twilight stopped coughing, and then her eyes closed slowly. "Pin....kie...." she muttered. Her eyes then closed all the way.