• Published 11th Sep 2013
  • 997 Views, 37 Comments

Lavender Ponyville - Quadraginta



Just what secrets lie in the purple-hued town that exists only in the dream world? And what secrets lie in it's landmark tower?

  • ...
1
 37
 997

Chapter 7: The Denizens of the Tower

After climbing many staircases, they decided to take a break. They sat down on the bottom of a random staircase and rested, recuperating and relaxing after about an hour of exploration.

"Why didn't your magic work earlier?” Applejack asked.

“I don’t know,” said Twilight. “It was as if there was something in the air that was preventing me from casting a spell that could wake us up. I could feel it. I think I can still use other forms of magic, though.”

“Well, either way, I’m just glad we’re safe for now.” said Applejack.

A sudden scraping noise caught both of their attention.

“Well, buck me.” Applejack got up and immediately began running up the staircase again, with Twilight following close behind.

"Wow. She moves fast!" Twilight followed close to Applejack as quickly as she could.

"It's not all the same pony." said Applejack. "It was just a coincidence that the pony from earlier looked almost exactly like you."

"What do you mean?" asked Twilight.

"From what I've gathered in this past month, this is something that I can only guess, but it's what you would call an.....ah....what was it called again? Infe....Infer...."

"Inference?" said Twilight.

"Yeah, an inference. I infer whoever dies in the tower, their image is used for one of the occupants of the tower."

"Meaning....?" said Twilight

"Whoever dies in here become a Denizen of the tower." said Applejack plainly.

"So, someone who happened to look exactly like me died in this tower?" Twilight asked.

"Seems like it. I'm just glad we haven't seen Fluttershy yet. I wouldn't have the heart to buck her in the face."

As soon as they finished ascending another flight of stairs, they came across a figure with a familiar yellow coat.

"Speak of the devil." muttered Applejack.

The figure walked towards them, in the exact same manner as the figure before, with the faint light from a window shining on it in exactly the same way as the figure from before. As expected, the figure was a cutie mark-less mare, only this one looked exactly like Fluttershy. She had the same insane eyes and wild mane that the other figure had.

From behind them, Twilight saw another figure creeping up slowly towards them. It was too dark to see who this figure was, though.

"Got any ideas, Twi?" asked Applejack.

"Yeah. I can't wake us up, but I can probably blast a bolt of magic at Fluttershy and send her sprawling, giving us enough time to make a break for it." said Twilight.

"But it's Fluttershy-"

"That's NOT Fluttershy." said Twilight. "And whoever is coming up from behind us is not whoever it may have been originally."

"I....sorry, Twi. You're right." Applejack said apologetically.

"Ok, ready. On 3." Twilight readied herself.

"1....." She went into a stance.

"2...." From behind her, she heard the sound of a fireaxe being lifted off the floor.

"....3!" She unleashed one bolt of magic which hit the Fluttershy Denizen, sending her flying across the room. She crashed through a window and promptly disappeared. Twilight then turned around and fired a bolt of magic at the figure that was approaching them from behind. The light from the bolt briefly illuminated the figure, revealing it to be an unknown mare whom neither Twilight nor Applejack had seen before.

"Run!" said Twilight as she ran up a flight of stairs. Applejack followed closely behind.