• Published 8th Oct 2011
  • 2,149 Views, 36 Comments

Raining Metal - thecakeisalie



A mysterious Alicorn comes from nowhere into ponyville, and the world is going to war.

  • ...
1
 36
 2,149

Manehattan (Pt. 3)

Midnight sighed as he settled into his seat, taking a hold of AJ's hoof. Himself, AJ, and Icescape had all been assigned to the same company, which was stationed all the way across Equestria, in Manehattan. Their new Company was Marines third company. They were in the fifth platoon. This would be unremarkable, except for what this platoon did. It was nicknamed Awe, and for good reason. These were supposed to be among the best Marines in the country, and as such, they were almost always used as shock troops, being air dropped into important objectives. They didn't neccesarily want to capture the objectives, but they definently wanted to weaken them.

It was a suprise to everyone that three fresh recruits got into such an elite unit. Midnight was personally suprised that Icescape had made it instead of Twilight. He was powerful, but nowhere near as powerful as Twilight, who paled in comparison to Midnight. Instead of Awe, Twilight got placed in a battle artillery position. Oh well, Midnight thought, who knows what kind of politics goes into these decisions. He gave a quick glance at AJ, squeezed her hoof, and closed his eyes.

Though it was still early, he was only pretending to sleep. His mind had gone into overdrive, and the thoughts running around his head were getting more and more sobering. I think Iove her, but I know I can't, but I do, and does it even matter? Would Big Mac give her away, even if I asked? I wouldn't ask anyways, because I would have to leave her, and that's not right. How did I let this happen? I've got a marefriend, and a best friend, and a group of ponies that I'd give the world for. It's not right, he insisted in the confines of his mind, It's not right, and it's all gonna come crashing down, I know it. Just like what happens everytime. But I've never been in love before... so maybe it'll turn out differently this time?

Midnight knew that was a false hope, if only because everypony dies eventually, even the princesses would. He still couldn't get rid of it, though. He was tired, he hated his purpose for existing, he hated being the only truly immortal thing in the world. It dragged him down, even after millenia of doing it, and knowing how to make sure ponies felt the greatest joy they ever had when they passed. He was still, for all intents, the ultimate murderer. Midnight had no doubt that if anyone found out, they'd charge him with the worst rap sheet in history, and he also had no doubt that he wouldn't deny any of it. Probably get a life sentence for it.

The thought of a life sentence struck him as funny, and broke his current line of thought. Oh, life in prison for death! He thought to himselfit was the best thing he'd come up with in a long time. Thinking things like that, he was finally able to sleep. He was dreaming by the time the train left the station.


Pacing back and forth in a room made out of black granite, Midnight the earth pony turned to speak to his queen. "When will I be able to?" he asked it more out of habit then any an expectation of a real answer. He'd given up on those months ago.

"As soon as all three versions are in Manehattan," the reply came as Luna stepped out of the gloom at the back of the room.


Midnight was shaken awake by Icescape hours later, as attested to by the fact that they were travelling through massive grain fields which shined gold in a noon day sun. They were in Neighbraska, or Maressouri, perhaps. "Come on! I'm bored!" Icescape whined, getting Midnights attention. "I brought all these games, and I have no one to play with!"

"Why'd you do that?" Midnight asked with a small groan and a yawn as he slowly woke up. He determined that AJ was still asleep with a quick glance, then stretched out and went to find water.

"So I wouldn't be bored, duh," Icescape said. Midnight could be really silly for such a serious pony. Especially in the mornings. This gave Icescape an idea, and he shot off to the cafe cariage like a white bullet.

"Uh... ok...?" Midnight really wasn't awake enough to deal with this. Deciding he liked being unconcius better anyways, He sat down next to AJ and promptly fell asleep.

Icescape came back a few minutes later, a very large black coffee in his hand. Awe, he's asleep, thought Icescape. The thought was somehow halfhearted, like it didn't really want to exist. "I wonder what this stuff tastes like, anyways," Icescape thought out loud. He then drained the twenty ounce coffe in just a few gulps.


Midnight was shooken awake by AJ. "We're here, sugar," she said with a small smile. Midnight got up and went to get his stuff. He grabbed his bags, then did a double take. The cabin had changed colors- and now looked like a jungle. A very accurately painted jungle, complete with animals.

"What happened?" Midnight asked, still a little slack jawed by the change.

At this point, Icescape jumped out of nowhere, covered in paint. "Hi Midnight! You went to sleep so I drank the coffee I got for you and then I remembered my paints so I got them out and then-" He was stopped by a hoof getting stuck in his mouth.

"Forget I asked," he growled, getting his luggage and getting off the train before someone asked why the carriage looked like it did. As far as he was concerned, it had been done, and there was no reason to stick around.

Icescape and AJ waited for him on the platform. After checking one last time to see that he had everything, they walked out the doors of Grand Central Station, and into Manehattan proper, and the early evening shadows of monoliths.


After finding the place Twilight had said she was staying and depositing their luggage, the arguing started. Icescape and AJ wanted to go see the city, Midnight wanted anything but, having seen the city literally millions of times. He gave in, mostly because he was afraid what would happen if Icescape were left to his own devices. He left a quick note for Twilight, and they headed own into the lobby.

Which just happened to have a number of ponies Midnight recognized. Great, he thought, all of them in one place. The world's going to hay in a handbasket, and I'm going to be worried about a whole bunch of ponies. Midnight gave up the line of thought as the others noticed AJ and Midnight.

"Applejack, doll! It is so great to see you again!" Rarity declared, but didn't quite get close enough for a hug. "You must let me do you up for a night on the town! Maybe we can find you a stallion!"

"Well, th's nice ah yah and all, Rarity, but you see-" Applejack was cut off as a rainbow blur took her down, accompinied by a piece of cotton candy come to life. Or that's what it looked like to Midnight, before he could make out that it was Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

"It'sbeensolongIthinkweneedapartytocelebrateusallbeingheretogether!" Pinkie managed to get out before taking a breath. She was about to launch back into her spiel, but was cut off ny a hoof in her mouth.

"Maybe later, Pinkie," Rainbow laughed, "But let's all get caught up first, alright?" Pinkie nodded agreement and bounced back to the group.

Fluttershy was just staring at the ground. She was shaking slightly, and she seemed unable to move.

"You ok, Fluttershy?" Midnight asked, getting a squeak and a nod in answer before Fluttershy hid behind Rainbow. His question had effectively gotten the others' attention, however.

"Oh, hello darling! I still want to spruce you up! Just Imagine! When I was done, why, simply every mare would gush over you!" Rarity's smile was getting wider the whole time, as she started to think of designs and what she could do to Midnight.

"Umm, about the whole finding a mare thing..." Midnight started but was interrupted by Pinkie nearly crushing him to death with a hug.

"Hi! Do you want a party?" She asked, a giant grin on her face, her eyes growing wider, her mind wandering to party planning.

Geez, he thought, I don't remember them being this crazy last time...

"Uh, guys, can we get out of the lobby?" Twilight had a tight smile on her face, her left eye starting to twitch. She indicated the stairs with a hoof, and started forcing the group up them. Midnight went willingly, happy for an excuse to stay in tonight.

Icescape walked next to him and whispered in his ear, leaning close so it would be extra quiet, "That pink one is a little crazy, isn't she?" The irony of the situation nearly sent Midnight down the stairs, sides heaving. As it was, he had to stop and remember to breathe for a few seconds before continuing.

At this point they were waiting outside Twilight's apartment, waiting for the pony to open the door. Rainbow took the opportunity to sidle up to Midnight and hiss threateningly in his ear. "I saw how you looked at AJ. If you try anything, and I mean anything, with her, I'll personally kick your flank to the moon and back. Understood?"

Midnight, after giving a short chuckle in response, tepped up to Applejack and took her hoof. After a quick suprised look, she happily accepted. Midnight knew he shouldn't be taunting Rainbow like that, but her attitude had irked him. And he still remembered their very first encounter.


Icescape was excited. Here he was, in the biggest city in Equestria, and he'd be going out on the town with his best friend and his marefrined. He felt like a third wheel for a second, but he squashed that feeling quickly. He knew that wasn't true. Applejack and Midnight had both accepted him so whole heartedly when he met them. So had Twilight, but she was gone somewhere. But that was ok, she was still his friend. He hadn't had a real friend, ever. He'd had aquantainces he had liked, but no one ever seemed to want to be his friend. Go away, they'd say, or they'd call him wierd, or a freak, or a even a mutant, once. But he knew his friends cared more for him than that. After all, Midnight had even called him his best friend.

Aftter Midnight wrote a note for Twilight, they headed down to the lobby. Icescapecouldn't wait to see Manehattan, and the rest of Neigh York, too. He was headed happily towards the door when he noticed Appleejack and Midnight slowing and stopping. Looking around, Icescape recognized Twilight with a group of ponies. He figured they had to be why they were stopped in the middle of the lobby. Are these more friends? He wondered. His question was answered when a unicorn, a beautiful white mare with a styled mane and tail, turned and saw Applejack.

"Applejack, doll! It's so great to see you again!" Icescapestopped listening after that, waiting for the moment when they'd ask who he was. He felt sure that they would be his friends, too. The thought made him happier than he'd ever been. A whole life without friends, then to make so many in such a short amount of time! He wondered if the draft was the best thing to ever happen to him.

As the conversation moved to Midnight, Icescape was sure his chance was coming. But then Twilight had them moving up the stairs. Just like that, he felt his chance for new friends fly away. As he slowly started up the stairs, Twilight walked up next to him, giving him a smile and a warm hello. He nodded back, giving a hello as well. Even if I don't get any new friends, at least I stil have these ones, he thought to himself, unconvincingly. He was afraid, deep down, that he'd lose his only friends.

Walking up the stairs, he leaned over and whispered in Midnights ear in a conspiritorial manner, "That pink one is a little crazy, isn't she?" He saw Midnight laughing hard, but trying to contain it. Icescape had no idea why Midnight was laughing, but it still made him feel a little better. If he could make them laugh, they'd stay his friends, right?