• Published 13th Sep 2013
  • 7,775 Views, 166 Comments

A Princess Does Not Fall in Love - The6thMaster



Princess Celestia can anticipate, and prepare, for almost anything. However, after overlooking an important detail, will she discover that not everything in life needs a plan?

  • ...
14
 166
 7,775

What can be avoided whose end is purposed by the mighty gods?

It was remarkable how quickly paperwork could pile up if you weren't careful. Celestia hadn't even left Canterlot and, with the exception of two days ago, hadn't really stopped working. But even still, the piles of reports on her desk was startling. Just arranging it in a neat and tidy way had been a task for her staff. Six stacks of paper, which was blocking her view of the front door.

Since no one was expected to be paying her a visit officially it wasn't much of a problem. She pressed the tip of her quill to her mouth, engrossed in thought. The inky black taste wasn't exactly pleasant, but it was a bad habit she'd picked up. Something to distract her from the general unpleasantness of judicial review.

Some pony was going to jail soon, and it distressed her to be the ultimate judge. Stealing was a serious crime, and the local court of Manehatten had returned a guilty verdict. The final process was for her to personally agree with the assessment. She could fully pardon any crime with no questions asked if she felt like it. But there was nothing here on the paperwork that suggested that was reasonable.

There was no helping it, and a quick signature put that particular piece of paper on top of the 'out' box. A few moments later she lifted the stack of paper midway and deposited the affirmation of the verdict in the middle. It didn't help anything, but she wouldn't have to look at it.

Her office door opened, which meant that she had to lean to the right in order to see who it was. Notetaker was balancing another stack of paperwork, and delicately so. Rather than risk catastrophe so near to the goal, a quick burst of telekinetic magic lifted the work right off of her aides head.

“Thank you, your majesty.” Notetaker smiled brightly, which Celestia didn't hesitate to return.

The top of the stack, now making it seven in total, displayed a pie chart. Budget papers, lovely. “Is this the last of them?” There had to be hundreds of sheets, she missed the days when a simple verbal command settled issues.

Instead of answering immediately; her aide flipped out a small ledger. Inspecting it, she nodded. “Yes, your majesty. Though I have some bad news. The Princess of the Crystal Empire is requesting an audience through the Two-Way Mirror.”

The particular way that Notetaker had phrased the news quirked her interest. “I don't know if I'd say speaking with my niece would count as 'bad news'. Did Princess Cadance indicate what the matter was?”

Notetaker blinked, flushing for a moment. “Well, no she didn't. Just that she wanted to speak with you. I didn't mean that it was bad to speak with the Crystal Princess, I meant that I had to schedule it during your lunch break.”

Celestia had figured that, it was about the only time she had free. If Cadance hadn't said what the matter was, it also meant that Notetaker couldn't schedule an exact time. Best to sacrifice a lunch break she usually reserved for more minor tasks. Tasks such as addressing Twilight's letters, or reading the news. “That shouldn't be a problem at all, Notetaker. I appreciate the proactive approach.” But Notetaker still looked uneasy.

“Should...Should I tell him you'll be busy?” Her aide coughed against her hoof, and looked very much like she didn't want to be present. Embarrassed, really.

Raising an eyebrow, Celestia couldn't imagine what had come over Notetaker. “Him?”

“Y-yes, your majesty.” Notetaker swallowed, and then glanced towards the closed door. “I thought you might be having lunch with Mister Apple again.”

Oh, him. “Oh that, I see.” She'd nearly asked why Notetaker would think she would have lunch with Big Macintosh, but thought better of it. She had been spending an awful lot of time with him, it wasn't unreasonable to guess more would follow. “Unfortunately I suppose you are right. I will not be able to do so, I do appreciate your concern but it should be fine.”

That had the note of dismissal in it, and her aide heard it well enough. The door closed and Celestia was left alone with her thoughts. One centered on her new friend.

Walks in the garden, lunch and a delightful evening at the charity event yesterday. The poker game itself could have counted as an entire event. It'd progressed for hours, until the final three competitors agreed to simply stop playing. Big Macintosh, Fleur and herself as it happened. The final climatic few rounds had shown Big Macintosh's full qualities, ultimately knocking Blueblood out of the game with a three of a kind he'd even hid from her guesses. She'd been incredibly proud, and Big Macintosh and her had chatted the entire carriage ride back. She'd regretted having to part ways, but it'd grown late in the evening and there was little else she could think to suggest.

Yes, she had been spending quite a bit of time with Big Mac. Not only time, but a good time. The last few days had been very relaxed, and perhaps the best she'd had in a very long while. But Celestia wasn't sure why there was a faint nagging in the back of her mind. Reaching for her official schedule of events, Celestia looked it over.

Absolutely booked, and now a working lunch with Cadance. Having a full schedule wasn't unusual at all, but it was strange that the majority of the time was going to be spent preparing for meetings with her staff. Meeting with her staff wasn't the odd part, but preparing for it was something Notetaker was usually given as a delegated task.

A few seconds later she reached for tomorrow's schedule. In contrast to today there would be plenty of time, and a glance at the individual items confirmed it. There was hardly anything set for tomorrow, with a number of very long gaps. Though the notes set in the margins were curious, and from her own hoof. Somehow why they were there had slipped her mind, until she read them.

This was her schedule of possible anticipated events for Ragnarök.

Along the left, right at three in the morning she'd written. 'Best anticipated time for Plan F: Surtr cataclysm variant. Evacuation of Equestria to south. Begin preparations for Ritual of Separation. 8%'

Eight percent was her estimation of the chance for success of that plan and the general survival of Equestria as it currently existed. Fortunately with Loki appeared to be in charge of the Ice Giants, that particular event was very unlikely to occur. Similar notes were planned out along the sides, and for the next few days.

The next one was set at four in the afternoon for tomorrow. The times were the latest such things could be done. Down to the minute. 'Plan B: Refugee Gambit, rapid Aesir Victory variant. Establish northern reservation, activate emergency conditions for fallout damages. 23%'

Also unlikely, the Allfather had been at the head of his table. With no sight of Celestia's personal favorite for leader of the Aesir. If things came to blows there would be nothing left of any of the home worlds.

So tomorrow would be a test of her nerves, and one where personal excursions would be inappropriate. Big Macintosh would have to wait, as much as it pained her to realize. Her initial misgivings were gone, she was no longer embarrassed in wanting to spend time with the stoic farmer. Not only spend time, but she...actually rather liked him. The warmth and affection she felt was positively glowing in her chest. She had no real comparisons to it, but it was probably what most any pony felt when they were in l-romantically attracted to another

But Ragnarök was deadly serious, and would demand her utter focus and attention. Both Luna and her would be uneasy all day tomorrow, and for as long as it took for Twilight to report the situation. So far no word had come from the north, which was neither a good or bad thing.

Celestia let her thoughts wander while adjusting a few of her more grim plans. Things were already on the right track, percentages increased. Plan A was still on course, but there was one scheduled event that she wouldn't even look at. Set for midnight tonight was written only two words and a percent: 'Wolf Variant: 0%'.

Best not to think about it. No amount of planning would help if that particular prophecy came true.

When the Elements stopped the crisis she would find a way to schedule some more personal time with Big Mac. If she could find so many things in the last few days a little planning would go a long way to making outings a regular occurrence

Then again, she'd have to go to Ponyville to do so. That thought stopped her musings and her writing. A frown creased her face, focusing on the problem. She didn't go to Ponyville very often to begin with, and Sweet Apple Acres even less.

Already her assistants and probably most of the high society of Canterlot could guess at the growing fondness she had for Big Macintosh. There'd be gossip for months if she stopped this very moment. They'd certainly know for sure if she kept going out of her way to see him. It would be a distraction to her work and open a floodgate of attention on Big Mac and his whole family. It would be absolutely unfair to do that to them, and very selfish.

Not only that, she didn't even know if Macintosh liked her in a similar manner. Somehow that detail had eluded her until this very moment. Considering she'd only had the revelation yesterday that wasn't entirely surprising.

"Do I really want a relationship?" She mused aloud, staring ahead without focusing oh her paperwork.

Perhaps it was a good thing Cadance wanted to speak with her. Celestia couldn't think of anyone who might be a better source of advice on the subject of romance.


Celestia carefully poured milk into the surface of the dark coffee on her desk. There were three like it, with the coffee in various colors of murky brown. Some had tasted better than others, and she was intent on finding her favorite.

Today's experiment was the first of what would become many. Coffee without milk or sugar was completely inedible to her sensibilities. Before she began testing the many flavors of coffee she'd need to find her favorite amount of additives.

With great care, she quickly stirred her latest cup and then lifted it with magic. Milk appeared to do an excellent job cooling the coffee just enough, which was an added bonus. She sipped, and considered the taste. Not bad, better than the last one.

There was a burst of magical static just in front of her desk. The large mirror surrounded by crystal vibrated and then shook while momentarily encased in aqua hued energy. Then the pristine reflective surface shimmered and revealed Cadance looking through it and at her.

"Hello Auntie!" Cadance beamed at her and even waved.

The coffee could wait, Celestia placed the cup down and smiled just as widely. "And good afternoon to you, Cadance. It's been awhile since you've called. I hope everything is okay."

Cadance was still smiling, but it faded a bit. "Well, kinda. We've had a bit of a problem."

"A problem?" Curious. There could have been any number of issues. "I hope it isn't serious."

Her niece quickly shook her head. "Just annoying. It's Discord. He's decided to pay the Crystal Empire a visit."

Ah, that would do it. "I suppose trying to guess where he'd go at any particular time is an exercise in futility. Fortunately he has greatly limited himself since being befriended. If he really does become an issue you do have the ability to ask him to leave. And then you can tell him to leave after that."

"Well I don't really want to threaten him." Cadance scratched her mane with a hoof, looking uneasy. "He did start changing all the food into rock candy, though. Something about finding the perfect recipe and declaring that it's all Crystal Ponies eat."

Celestia rolled her eyes. "That does sound like him. As far as pranks, comparatively mild though."

Through the mirror, she watched Cadance nod and then glance off to the side for a moment. "Oh, Shining! Come say hello to Celestia!"

Duly summoned, Shining Armor sat himself next to his wife and waved. "Hello Princess! Are you having a tea party?"

Celestia looked down at the four cups on her desk. "Coffee, actually. I just started trying it and was figuring out how much milk to use."

Shining Armor blinked, and she could read the slight confusion on his face. If she didn't hold the rank of princess, or wasn't an unchallenged immortal monarch, he'd probably have called her weird. "Ah, " he finally said. "Oh. I have a question. A few days ago I signed off on a train ride going into the northern exclusion zone. I noticed my sister and her friends were on it. Is there anything we should be concerned about?"

"Nothing that isn't already being taken care of." She answered quickly, switching to business in seconds. "it's a matter which required the Elements of Harmony. Though they are personally in little danger. It might be the end of the world, but they'll do fine."

Shining paused for a moment or two, taking in the information and then nodded. "Alright Princess. All things with the Elements seem to deal with the world ending anyway. You're usually right about these things."

"Thank you for the confidence." Celestia replied with a bit of a chuckle, it was probably still odd from Shining's point of view to be nominally on equal footing with her. "How has running the Empire been?"

They both looked at each other for a moment. "It's been alright. " Shining answered first. Cadance nodded. "Sometimes a little hectic. I can't imagine how you've done it for so long.

"Well," she lifted the current experimental coffee cup to have a sip. A bit of dramatic effect, nothing too showy. "A lot of practice for the most part. You'll get used to it in time."

Cadance must have been having lunch too, because Shining Armor leaned over and was suddenly holding half of a sandwich. "I hope so. I'm still trying to remember where the bathro-" there was the sound of a door opening quickly. It caught both of their attention.

"Your highness's." A deep male voice said, almost certainly a guard. "Discord has began animating large...rocky candy golems. They're alarming citizens and causing problems in the town square."

Both Shining and Cadance sighed in unison. "I'll deal with it," Shining said while rubbing between his eyes with a hoof. "You enjoy your lunch and talk with the princess."

"Alright." Cadance agreed and then patted him on the shoulder. "Don't let him get to you again. And keep the sandwich. Love you."

Celestia glanced away just as Shining leaned in to kiss his wife on the cheek, though she could still hear the sound and some of the following affectionate words. She'd made the right call nudging them closer together at various times when they were younger. A success that had paid enormous dividends.

Shining disappeared out of view, and then she heard the door close. Cadance was still looking towards it, thoughtful.

Celestia gave her a moment, taking another drink. The sugar didn't really seem to make a big difference, but this definitely needed more milk. The bitter taste was starting to grow on her though.

"I didn't know you drank coffee." Cadance commented, eying the cup through the portal.

The issue with Discord must not have been all that serious if they were already speaking casually. "I started yesterday, actually."

"Huh," Celestia watched as her niece started to poke at what was presumably her own lunch. After a few seconds Cadance glanced up with only her eyes, looking a touch too casual. "I can't stand it myself, though Shining really likes it. I've always seen you drink tea. What made you switch?"

It was funny that she should ask. An almost perfect opportunity to talk about what she had wanted to ask herself. Too perfect, she realized she was being probed for information. But how could Cadance possibly...

"Oh, a number of things." Celestia replied while speaking slowly "I saw Fleur yesterday, I thought you might like to know." That got Cadance to straighten up, and even look a bit guilty. So she'd guessed right. "Though I imagine she told you all about the charity event."

Cadance chuckled nervously. "I may have gotten a letter in the mail. It sounded...fun."

"It was rather enjoyable. What did your friend tell you about it?"

The trap had fully turned, and now Cadance was stuck trying not to sound like a gossip while talking with the subject of the gossip. "Oh, mostly about a game of cards she played. And that she was surprised you brought Applejack's brother with you."

Celestia smiled, knowing she'd gotten to the heart of it. So the high society, or Fleur and Fancy Pants at least, had made a guess. "I would hope it wasn't too surprising. He is an invited guest. The situation I mentioned before called the Elements away during dinner."

"Ah, that wasn't the surprising part. Fleur seemed to think that you and..." Cadance paused and changed course. Celestia had a guess what she'd almost said, and possibly would have thrown Fleur in the spotlight of assumption making. Her niece ended up becoming a bit more stuttering, and less casual as she rounded out the last of what she was saying. "That is, uhm. She thought you were both very good friends."

And that was near enough true. "I suppose we are. Though I've really only gotten to know him the last few days."

Cadance's eyes had gotten a touch wider. Surprise at getting that much. "So, does that mean you..."

Messing with Cadance could only go so far. Now the fluttery feeling was back. The one she'd identified as an unease in discussing such personal feelings. "I don't know. Or I don't think so. Not yet, anyway." None of that was easy to admit, and she couldn't hide the discomfort from showing.

If Cadance was surprised before; now she was floored. "You mean you have a crush on him?" And then Celestia was privy to the sight of her niece, peer in ruling nations and an Alicorn princess descend into the emotional maturity of a schoolfilly. A hoof went to her mouth, and she started to giggle with a bright happy smile on her face.

Cadance didn't miss a beat in commenting further, well before Celestia could try and answer her. "I did think he was pretty cute, and handsome too. Oh, and he's really quiet and intense sometimes, right? I thought you might like the strong silent types. And he's actually about as tall as you so it works in a way. Does he know you like him?"

That was quite a lot to respond too, let alone answer coherently. Cadance might as well have been bouncing from giddiness. Celestia had to hold up a hoof for her to pause. "I don't even entirely know if I feel more than just passing affection. I was actual hoping you could give me some advice. If you promise to hold my confidence."

"It's a Pinkie Promise." Cadance quickly ran through the motions ending with lightly jabbing herself in the eye. Her own exposure to Pinkie Pie didn't even make Celestia blink at the unusual method of making a vow. But once the promise was made, Cadance cleared her throat and became far more solemn. "You don't know if you like him? I don't think you'd talk about it if you didn't."

That was true, and being in denial was silly. "Then I suppose I do. I do enjoy spending time with him, at least. But I don't know what I should do. Or the actions I need to take if I were to..." Cadance wasn't the only one demonstrating maturity well under her age. Celestia couldn't even say she wanted a relationship.

"Okay, I see." Cadance nodded seriously and appeared to think for a moment. "Well I think the first thing you should do is tell him how you feel."

Celestia opened her mouth to reply and then stopped herself. That notion seemed absurd. "But I don't even know if he feels the same way. Or if a...relationship would be possible. We both lead very different lives, and busy ones."

"But..." Cadance pursed her lips for a moment. "Those kind of sound like excuses, or minor issues. If he likes you then you can deal with anything. "

As upbeat and encouraging those words sounded, Celestia knew better. Cadance was still very young, and her special talent could certainly bias her to a degree of optimism about romance. "And what if he doesn't?" A dreadful thought, but a lifetime of planning made her consider every angle.

That notion also caused Cadance to make a pained face and shuffle her hooves back and forth before speaking. "Well, I suppose that wouldn't be good. But...well." She definitely looked uneasy, like she wanted to say something. Celestia had seen that look, it was when you were weighing whether to be honest.

Fortunately that was an easy thing to solve on her part. "Please, you can't help me if you're concerned about hurting my feelings. Go ahead, Cadance."

"Alright, " Cadance took a deep breath. "Big Mac actually might not like you that way. Even I didn't always know for sure with a guy. Before Shining Armor I had the occasional flub of a relationship. And so did he for others, he's told me about them."

Celestia quirked an eyebrow at hearing such an unusual word. "A 'flub'?"

Nodding, her niece gestured with a hoof at empty air. "Sometimes you make a bad call. Or you look like a dork. Or he has a girlfriend already. Or you accidentally give him flowers he's allergic to, I always made sure to ask after that one. Sometimes being romantic can be messy." Cadance paused her amusing anecdotes, and frowned while giving a short sigh. "You've never had a relationship at all before; have you, auntie?"

It wasn't quite so irritating to hear that question this time as it had with Luna a few nights ago. But still, Celestia tightened her jaw as the only outlet for the annoyance she felt. Again, the implication that she had somehow failed or missed something enormous simply by remaining out of romance. "I have not had the time for it. A long time ago there was a...possible suitor but that did not come to much of anything. It was simply not possible for us."

"Oh," Cadance frowned now. "I suppose I'm sorry to hear that, about the long time ago. But now you've got a great chance to start fresh. I personally think Applejack's brother is a great choice! You should ask him out, or see how he feels about the idea."

It sounded like decent enough advice, but Celestia still saw the problem in it. "Cadance, I have not had personal relationships only because I did not have the time. There are greater concerns than just the amount of work. My role as Princess is not only demanding, but carries certain responsibilities. I would not compromise myself, or endanger Equestria for anything."

The only thing that came from Cadance by way of reply was silence, and an unhappy one. Celestia was resolute on what she'd said, and busied herself with the last of her coffee. Finally Cadance ventured, and slowly, to speak again. "Having a relationship like that with another pony doesn't have to compromise anything. You should be happy, at least a little."

Celestia knew she'd selected right in coming to Cadance, since the young princess was nothing if not earnest. Otherwise she would likely be more irked at that constant, damnable phrasing. "I am not unhappy, Cadance," she replied with a firm tone. " Neither was I lonely, or sad with my fate. I was, and continue, to be quite content with my current life. Ruling Equestria and seeing peace and happiness for hundreds of years is not the unhappy, dreary picture you paint it to be."

Cadance had drawn back at first, especially at the tone she'd taken. Celestia knew she'd been a little too harsh, though her niece had settled quickly into careful observation while listening to her. "Sorry," Celestia said after a breath. "I know you did not mean anything like that, I just do not care for the insinuation that I am unhappy."

"I can see that," Cadance smiled, just barely. "Auntie, you wanted me to tell you what I thought. I think you might actually be a little more...unhappy than you think." Celestia had been about to protest, but a upraised pink hoof held her off. "I mean, well, unhappy about what Big Mac means. Love is very complicated, especially the first time. It isn't bad that you haven't really...explored a relationship like that one, but now that it seems to be here it's going to be strange and frightening. If it goes well, especially if it goes well, it can be an absolutely wonderful and beautiful thing."

Celestia nodded for a moment. "It is a bit of an overreach to call a minor affection, 'love', but I do see your point. I agree about it being complicated. The more I think about the future, the less clear it becomes. The process is very messy."

That got a laugh from Cadance, who visibly relaxed from the 'walking on eggshells' she'd been doing before. "It really is. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that you're at least trying though. I don't think Equestria is as fragile as you think, and almost everypony would be just completely overjoyed to know you had a special somepony in your life."

"Maybe." Celestia glanced at the clock on her desk. There was still some time life before she had to get back to work. "So your advice is for me to tell him right away? In the hopes that it leads to a more formal relationship?"

"Well..." Cadance glanced off to the side in thought. "It could help, I think. How have you been spending time with him so far?"

That was an excellent question. There weren't many experiences, but they'd managed to draw themselves out to be rather poignant in her memory. Analyzing what she knew about a situation was the first step to becoming sure about the next step.

"So far I have been simply requesting he accompany me on fairly private outings. I asked him to give me some advice on the garden, have lunch with me to discuss a farm subsidy and then of course the charity event. All of them were very enjoyable, actually. I...I would not mind having more of those. Though it is getting harder to imagine reasons we might spend time together."

Instead of smiling, as Celestia would have guessed, her niece looked concerned. "So he really might not know at all, since they'd sound pretty innocent. In that case I do think you should ask him directly for a date, or whatever you might think is best. You're not going to exactly...well, get anywhere if you keep doing it the same way."

"But I was not able to find out that I was fond of his company without doing those things. Each occasion brought new aspects, things I had not expected. Wouldn't it be best to continue, at least for a while longer? I know many relationships begin slowly, and that it is best to learn as much as you can about one another." It was also an enormous step, and the possibility of rejection was not something Celestia wanted to risk.

But Cadance didn't look convinced by her line of reasoning. "It's more complicated than that. If you're learning about Big Macintosh, especially because you seem to like him, then he should have the same opportunity to learn about you. It isn't really fair otherwise."

"Not fair?" Celestia was confused now, and didn't mind showing it. "I would think he would have learned quite a bit by now. He's rather intelligent, and very perceptive."

"Hmm, I suppose you would know better about the situation." Cadance relented, though still appeared troubled. "I think you should consider talking about it, just a little. Eventually he'll have to go back to Ponyville too."

Celestia winced, frowning down at her desk. "Yes, I do know that. That is something I have been considering. I do not think it is fair to expect him to make one trip after another to Canterlot simply for my convenience. "

"It would be hard," Cadance agreed solemnly. "But that shouldn't mean you don't try. Once you have a 'formal relationship' I'm sure a lot will fall into place." Then the princess made a tapping sound with her hoof. "Can I ask what you like about him so much? Why Big Mac?"

Ah, that question. It had taken longer than Celestia would have guessed. "I knew you'd be curious." She chuckled, gathering her thoughts. "I suppose it is the novelty of not being...needed. If that makes sense. He's completely independent, I've become so used to ponies adoring me, and requiring my guidance that to meet one who doesn't...Well, it caught my eye. And yes, as you said before, he's very cute." Just saying those words led to a burst of warmth in her stomach, it felt good to say it out loud to another.

Cadance was grinning ear to ear once again. "I'm really happy for you! If you need any help or advice don't hesitate to ask."

"I certainly appreciate what you've provided so far." Another novelty was hearing the tone of a conversation winding down without her doing it. But Cadance had her own responsibility now. One outside of her aunt's authority.

"I should go check to make sure Shining isn't a rock candy sculpture or something. Bye auntie!"

The connection through the portal flickered out and Celestia was left alone in her office. She had a lot to consider, her thoughts more focused thanks to Cadance's advice. Not that she agreed with all of it. Celestia was sure that going about confessing her feelings would hardly accomplish much more than to embarrass herself.

She'd have considered more preferable steps, but there came a knock on the distant far door of her personal office only moments later. "Yes?" She asked. It was very rare for her to be interrupted at this time.

The door swung open and a guard poked his head inside. "Your highness, a personal visitor is requesting to see you. He says that it wouldn't be an issue."

He? Celestia was sufficiently far away from the guard to show her genuine surprise. She hadn't told Big Macintosh that her lunch was going to be busy. Especially as she hadn't asked him for a second lunch in the first place. It seemed silly to assume he'd assume that he could eat another lunch with her. Apparently she was wrong.

"Of course. L-let him in." Celestia couldn't remember the last time she'd stuttered her words. This crush of hers was beginning to annoy her refined sensitivities.

The guard nodded and then ducked out of the door. There were only a few seconds to prepare, but she used them as best she could. First, a deep breath. Then Celestia realized the number of coffee cups on her desk, and quickly hid all but one of them. If Shining Armor had thought her experiment was unusual it was best not to take any chances.

Oh, and the portal was still in the way. A burst of magic pushed it off to the side and out of sight, she even stood up and levitated a cushion over to sit. Then she sat down, before standing back up and straightening her desk to look like it was more full of paperwork. The door opened just as Celestia returned to her impression of casually sitting behind her desk.

But it wasn't Big Macintosh, and she blinked at seeing Spike stroll in with a cheery smile on his face.

"Hi Princess Celestia!"

Still a bit nonplussed, she cleared her throat and smiled. "Well good afternoon, Spike. I had heard you were in the palace. I apologize for not seeing you earlier, but things have been rather busy."

Spike shrugged as he stood before her desk, plopping down in the cushion she'd meant for Big Macintosh. "I know, some sort of stuffy charity event. Why does the room smell like a doughnut shop?"

Chuckling, Celestia took a final drink of her coffee. It'd cooled off to the point of resembling most drinks, which somewhat spoiled the flavor she thought. Since Spike was here it meant she could get a particular bit of business over with. "I've decided to switch to coffee instead of tea for a bit. But it's fortunate that you came here to visit me during lunch. I had something I wanted to speak with you about."

That caught his attention, Spike blinked and tilted his head while looking at her with overly expressive curiosity. "With me, Princess? I'm not in trouble am I?"

Ah, that's why he was here. Celestia wanted to laugh once she realized his intent. Spike almost certainly knew he was 'in trouble', it was why he was here. He was also aware that, at least when dealing with her, it was much easier to confront your misdeed quickly and get it over with.

"I did say I'd heard you were here in the palace." Spike hung his head, glancing down in instant repentance. "Princess Luna told me a great deal about last night. I can't say that I approve of your part in assisting the Cutiemark Crusaders. You of all should know the dangers of irresponsible use of magic."

He was still looking down, which Celestia knew was his assumption of what would get him out of trouble faster. If she was actually sincerely upset she would have commented on his insincerity and they wouldn't be running through the formalities. Spike spoke with a saddened tone, though not quite so well put that she couldn't hear that it was feigned. "I know, Princess. I'm sorry, I was sure I was being safe about it. I just thought it would be sort of funny."

Since he wasn't looking at her, she could allow a faint grin. "Princess Luna did not find it very amusing, though. While your drawing of a summoning circle was certainly well done it was still an unnecessary risk to take. Please do not assist the Cutiemark Crusaders with any further schemes, it's bad enough that my sister refused to admit defeat. There are quite a few upcoming issues going on in the world, things that both of us will need our fullest attention focused on. The crisis which drew Twilight and the others, Discord is harassing the Crystal Empire and I..."

She trailed off, realizing she'd almost started to mention her exploration of relationships and a potential personal life outside of work. Certainly not something Spike needed to hear about. He did look up though, perhaps guessing his reprimand was over. Since it actually was essentially over, she distracted herself by opening up a personnel file for her staff. Performance evaluations were coming up, after all.

"And what, Princess? I'm sorry about scaring Princess Luna like that, it won't happen again. I'm sure she'd probably know I was up to something if I tried again anyway."

Shifting where she sat, Celestia mulled the start of staff meetings. Another important piece of business, and something she personally did herself. The afternoon was to be spent with Notetaker and herself pre-reviewing each employee of the palace for the interview to be held. It would distract her utterly from Ragnarök, and immerse her in the most detailed aspects of office work. But with her personal commitment to develop a...relationship strategy it seemed to only be in the way now.

"Princess?" Spike was standing up now and waving to get her attention.

Celestia jerked, refocusing to realize she'd lost herself in her thoughts. "Oh, I'm sorry, Spike. And handling the daily affairs of Equestria, a full time job to say the least."

"Oh, right. I understand, Princess." Spike nodded, a carefree smile on his face. He'd gotten off very lightly for last night, not that she had much to be mad over. If Luna had been more upset, perhaps. But her poor sister had only seemed dumbstruck by the sheer complexity and cutthroat nature of the plan itself. They'd really gotten her, and that alone was entertaining to obscure that summoning demonic monsters from Tartarus wasn't exactly acceptable. Honestly, Celestia wasn't sure how the four of them had talked Mormo into participating in the prank herself.

"It was very nice to see you again, Spike. You're welcome to stay in Canterlot until Twilight returns. I expect to hear from her sometime tonight, and I'll certainly let you know when I do."

Spike nodded, agreed to stay and then excused himself. Celestia was left to her own thoughts again, and was grateful when no distractions came afterward. Just her, by herself in her office for the rest of her lunch.

She quietly sipped at her remaining coffee while thinking. The seconds ticked away while she largely contented herself with staring at a fixed point on her desk. Thoughts came aimlessly, or even not at all in this brief little respite. The vast degree of things needing to be done didn't usually feel overwhelming but in this case it was hard to actually focus on a single one.

A knock came at the far door, opening just as she looked up. Notetaker peeked her head in, and then blinked when they made eye contact. "Oh! Uh, hello Princess Celestia. I'm sorry, but I wasn't sure if you had meant to cancel organizing the staff performance review."

Had she really ran over her lunch break? A look at the time confirmed that her set aside lunch had ended ten minutes ago. Having been late only on the most dire emergencies, it was understandable that Notetaker had came looking for her almost immediately.

Celestia quickly cleared her desk and then stood up. "Ah, my apologies Notetaker. No, I hadn't meant to cancel. Come in, did you bring the paperwork with you?"

Her secretary nodded quickly and retreated into the hallway only long enough to roll in a cart overladen with personnel files. Celestia had been about to pull up a seat, but realized that the one Spike had been using had not been returned. It was just as well, Notetaker took it without comment and then pursed her lips while looking her way across the desk.

"Is something the matter, Notetaker?" Celestia could see the curiosity in her eyes, and thought it best to address it before they even began to work.

Jumping a bit, Notetaker shook her head quickly at first and then grew more pensive.. "Well, no your highness. It's just..."

She was concerned about the strange and uncharacteristic behavior she'd been displaying. Celestia didn't actually have to ask, she'd been behaving well outside her normal routine lately. It'd be easy to point the cause entirely towards Big Macintosh, but the past had been bubbling its way into her thoughts as well.

Clearing her throat, Celestia nodded in a knowing manner. "I have had a great many things on my mind lately. I think you'll find that it's an unavoidable part of being a princess."

Her assistant nodded enthusiastically in agreement. "Of course, your highness. I didn't mean to presume-"

"Now now," Celestia chuckled. "You've been working here for a fair amount of time, Notetaker. I think you're welcome a little presumption."

Of course Notetaker wasn't sure quite how to take that and said nothing in reply. Instead they got down to business, files laid out and the faces of many familiar ponies smiling up from their pictures. It was solid, unavoidable and altogether mind numbing work. From where to hold meetings, the order and scheduling and running through paperwork to assure nothing had become out of place. Unlike how most businesses likely conducted reviews of their staff, Celestia took the extra step to learn the lives, dreams and plans of those who worked for her. No pony would work here in the palace would feel unappreciated.

About two hours into the work Celestia looked up to watch her assistant immersed in her half of the paperwork. They'd settled on a relaxed rhythm, one that required few words. But a thought had struck her while passing over retirement plans for the Royal Guard.

"Notetaker," the young mare looked up in curiosity. Celestia gently placed the paperwork she'd been levitating down onto the desk. "Do I seem unhappy to you?"

Eyes wide, Notetaker stared back at her for a long moment. "Well, uh...no I don't think so, your highness. I mean, you don't seem unhappy..., no." It appeared that Notetaker now found the paperwork in front of her extremely interesting, she'd started to furiously scribble and then glanced up for a moment in eye contact before looking back down.

"Do I seem happy, then?" Celestia persisted, despite it being quite clear that Notetaker would have rather she not. It still somewhat boggled her mind that so many ponies might have been going about their interactions with her under the impression she was miserable. And curiosities were things that Celestia simply had to know for certain.

Smiling nervously, Notetaker looked back up. "Happy, your Highness? You do...well, work a lot. But I don't think you're unhappy, like I said before. A-and you did look like you enjoyed your break two days ago, and...other things." The 'other things' she'd referred to had been said with a bright flush and another look away.

If there had been any guess about Notetaker's assumptions about the 'Macintosh situation' they were all but confirmed now. Celestia gave a long considerate hum, and leaned forward with a touch of keen amusement displayed all because of the opening. The more she thought about it, the more sure Celestia was that there was little hope to keeping this a secret. If she was going to have a relationship with Big Macintosh then the entirety of Equestria was going to know about it about three minutes after their first date began. Best that she take the pulse of her staff on the matter quickly.

Though she might risk scaring her poor aide half to death. Notetaker's mother had been become a fair confidant by the end of her tenure, a tradition Celestia wanted to continue if it could be helped. "Earlier today you made a suggestion that I'd be having lunch with Big M-Macintosh Apple."

Notetaker went pale, a remarkable achievement after she'd been flushing so readily. "Y-yes, I'm v-very sorry about that, P-princess. I didn't mean to assume about uh, who you'd be having lunch with. I just uh, well...he is your guest and that you might perhap-"

"It's quite alright, Notetaker. You don't need to keep justifying yourself. I appreciate that you've been mindful of the time I spend with Macintosh and looked to handle it proactively." Celestia did her best to give her most reassuring smile for the sake of the young mare falling to pieces in front of her. It did seem to work, more or less, and Notetaker settled down after her rapidly changing states of timidity and embarrassment.

She could have pushed further if she wanted, but Celestia already had a good idea of what her aide thought. Positive, if completely unsure what to make of it. Since that more or less matched what she felt about her own situation, she could hardly blame Notetaker. If they were aware of it, the rest of her servants and direct employees were likely the same.

But now that Celestia had considered the 'Macintosh question' once again it refused to vanish from her mind. There was relatively little work left to be done on these reviews, but even diving back into them was unappealing. Glancing across the desk, Celestia considered Notetaker once again immersed in the paperwork and hummed in thought.

"Notetaker?" Once again she shot up from her work with wide eyes, but now trepidation was obvious. Likely she was worried that her princess was about to start talking about yet more uncomfortable subjects. Fortunately that was not what Celestia was intending to do. "I think we can end our planning session for the day. You're welcome to head home."

Blinking, Notetaker immediately glanced over towards the nearest clock. "O-oh, okay your highness." She didn't miss much of a beat, but Celestia was well aware that she wasn't due to head home for quite awhile. Still, Notetaker rose and bowed before leaving with a good amount of the paperwork. Celestia had waved her own pile off from collection with just a hoof, and her aide hadn't tried to argue.

Still quite a lot of work to go for her, it seemed. Maybe she could do with a good coltfriend herself...

Regardless, there were far more pressing concerns to address. Not only to ponder the virtues of a relationship, but there was still a unforgettable bit of dread for tomorrow. Celestia could safely say that it would be best to remain alone for the rest of the evening. The tick of the clock that Notetaker had looked at was now her only company.

It took an hour until she realized that solitude wasn't quite as good a thing as she thought. Thoughts had bounced about aimlessly in her head and only grown more distracting as she tried to specifically not focus on them. Celestia pulled back from an open staff folder she'd been glancing over with no other purpose than that it had been open before. "I really do want to spend more time with him," she said aloud.

Thankfully there wasn't anyone around to hear that. Her own ears were more than enough, and she tapped her desk with a hoof in unhappy indecision. Luna was likely getting ready to sleep at this point, so that she could handle her watch in the middle of the night. If either of them desired the others company while waiting for Ragnarök it would be there. But the memories were still too painful to her for why they'd left, and it was likely all the more for Luna. They would likely carry on pretending that nothing was amiss, at least with one another.

But according to Cadance's advice she could simply go to Big Macintosh. He'd almost certainly spend time with her if she asked. Doing so without a reason would lead the conversation to what was on her mind. Two things, specifically. The possibility of the end of the world, and him. It'd be the sort of conversation that would decide a great many things, and likely take hours to complete. Thinking about it made a part of her want to stand up and go looking for him right there. It'd be decisive, and she'd either be in a relationship or not at all.

Only a part of her wanted to do that, to throw caution to the wind. Most of her shied from it, and she came to a compromise. She'd work on other courses of actions as a substitute, and if none were apparent she'd follow what Cadance had advised.

"It's decided then." More words to the empty office, and Celestia put all her focus to the question.

Unlike most problems it wasn't exactly easy to go about. Simply thinking into space presented few if any ideas. Brainstorming was next, and she began to outline various activities she and Big Macintosh might be inclined to do together. Ultimately the list began to resemble her regular schedule, with Big Mac simply included. No, even she knew that wouldn't work. Wouldn't she have to do things with him that he'd prefer? But what?

Sighing, she tapped her floating pen on the desk for a moment instead of her hoof this time. "I suppose I wouldn't be very cut out for bucking apple trees." Certainly not. That wasn't for her, any more than she could expect Big Macintosh to suggest they spend an evening writing tax code.

Perhaps the traditional framework of dates? It seemed likely, they both were very traditional ponies. Then again, she was coming up with these plans with the idea that they were only gradually learning about one another. Romantic dinners, or whatever she might imagine, would be a very, very unlikely thing to play at being platonic. In that aspect Cadance was completely correct.

Time ticked away while she mulled the problem. Nothing was jumping out at her, and almost invariably the problem stemmed from circumstances, distance or both at once. It didn't matter what they did, spending time together was her goal. Even just walking together in the gardens had been very pleasant. But riding a train out to see her in Canterlot...or finding a reason to visit Ponyville? It seemed intractable.

She called for more coffee, looking out the window and realizing the sun would need to be lowered soon. If nothing else thinking about the mechanics of a relationship had passed the evening away very quickly. She added plenty of sugar and cream to the pitch black drink and then was rewarded with the best flavoring yet. Celestia made a mental note of the quantities and then enjoyed her drink while looking over her now disheveled desk.

On it was dozens of papers outlining everything she knew about Ponyville, Canterlot and Big Macintosh. There were other considerations; what she knew of Applejack, the rest of the Apple family and even a cross reference reminder to look into Earth Pony traditions and customs for relationships. There was no sense in leaving a stone unturned, but none of it had produced anything of apparent value. Maybe it'd be best to just speak with Big Macintosh after all, if he was in the palace still.

The first thing she needed to do was gather up her created notes. Leaving them out for Notetaker or some other helpful pony to organize would lead to a great many questions and speculation. She considered where Big Mac might be at this hour while setting the pieces of paper in a desk drawer holding the rest of the staff folder.

One had fallen open and spilled its contents at the bottom of the drawer, which necessitated picking it up. A picture of the pony working for her caught her attention, and Celestia momentarily forgot her best guess of where Big Mac was. She lifted the picture, somewhat out of date compared to what they looked like now. But that was why she'd stopped, and her thoughts moved in a new direction. A spark. An idea. A plan. She didn't need to go speak with Big Macintosh after all.

She lowered the sun as an afterthought and immersed herself in the new plan. Having a course of action always seemed so very obvious once she'd set it. This one in particular didn't need many variables either, a simple arrangement that she could establish the very moment she had the time.

Her examination of the angles, the likely outcomes was interrupted by the appearance of a letter in front of her. It had quite simply poofed into existence and landed, and then unrolled on her desk. Twilight hadn't even wrapped the parchment in twine, which was worrisome. Even more alarming was the unorganized and hastily written script which was still identifiable as Twilight's once she'd taken it up to read it.

A quick run through of the note told her everything she needed to know. Lowering it, Celestia considered the shocking news with a sort of grim realization for what it would mean. That moment only lasted for a few seconds, due to the incredible swell of an ancient, but familiar, magic that enveloped the entire castle and seemingly far beyond it. Her mouth went dry as she registered what it was, and stood up instantly from her desk.

At the same moment as she said the single word that named this event, there was a piercing scream of abject terror throughout the palace that sent Celestia running for the door.