• ...
2
 5
 2,213

In The Beginning

In The Beginning

Twilight Sparkle had her chin resting on her desk, her eyes half-lidded and her hair bedraggled. It was an autumn afternoon, bright and sunny and unusually warm for the time of year. She had spent the better part of an hour trying to think of something to do for herself and Spike, who was busy working the end of his quill pen into a scale at the end of his thumb. The astronomy calendar for the week was bereft of interesting activity. And she didn't really feel like reading any of her books. Discouraged for the lack of ideas, she had simply given up. Twilight Sparkle was finally bored.

"Wow. Is this what we've finally been reduced to? Sheer laziness?" Twilight huffed.

Back in the corner on his basket, Spike shrugged half-heartedly. "I dunno."

Twilight couldn't be bothered to even turn her head to glance in his direction. "I just wish something would happen. Like. . . even a monster attack. Or even the odd random task by Princess. . ."

Spike sat up quickly and heaved. "HUUUUURP!"

In a puff of magic smoke, a letter materialized.

Twilight finally roused herself and wiped away her drool. "Wow. Freaky."

Spike snatched the letter from the air and set to his task of reading, giving his telltale reader's cough first. "Ahem. My dearest most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle. Please gather all your friends before I send my second letter."

Twilight and Spike both blinked once in confusion.

"Odd," Twilight added. "But you heard her. Let's get Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie."

Oh! That's me! Hey I know! Suddenly there was a knock at the door!

Knock knock!

"Now who could that be?" Twilight mused. "One of our friends already?"

Pinkie Pie! That's NOT what happened!

Twilight approached her front door and threw it open and jumped nearly five feet in the air when she spotted nopony on the other side.

Spike raised his right arm and pointed with an index claw. "Now THAT'S freaky."

Twilight did her best to shake the willies from her body and then continued out the door. "Let's just get this over with."

Hee hee hee! Oh that was hilarious!

Twilight and Spike went out into Ponyville, spending about an hour tracking down their friends and bringing them to the library.