• Published 8th Aug 2013
  • 2,457 Views, 73 Comments

Nightmare's Heir - johnnycajxrt



A jilted prince comes back to Equestria after his banishment to try and finish the work he started.

  • ...
20
 73
 2,457

Three Months Later


After months of waking up at five in the morning and immediately being thrown into physical training by Blackout, meeting with the military leaders every day to discuss where and when to attack the city, pulling all the non-essential military personnel back to Eclipse City, and playing with Solstice every night. We were finally ready for the march on Canterlot.


I stood on the steps of the council building with the military leaders that included Moonlight and Nightfall, both promoted to the rank of general for their important knowledge of Canterlot’s weaknesses. I walked up to the podium that had been set up to address the legions of troops and citizens that had turned out.


“Citizens of Eclipse City and to the rest of the Thestral Kingdom. Today we march on the city of Canterlot in order to fight for your freedom. Today we take what we deserve. Today we fight so that you can aspire to be more than a mere lunar guard. Be more than a pawn to serve the tyrannical overlord of the sun and those that would stand by and allow this kind of treatment to continue. Today, we stand and fight and we tell Celestia that we will no longer stand idly by and be oppressed. Today, I am proud to call myself an ally to the Thestral race, and I am proud to fight alongside you as you fight for your freedom!”


In response, a deafening roar was heard from the crowd below.


“Now then; I shall now pass off the podium to your commanding officers, General Nightfall and General Moonlight and they will direct you where to go.”


I stepped off the platform and headed to join Captain Starlight and the other military commanders. As I walked over, I saw Blackout and Solstice standing in the crowd. Not knowing how long it would be until I would see either of them, I decided to take a detour and say goodbye.


“Hey Francois!” Solstice said happily as I walked over.


“Hey there Solstice,” I replied as I picked him up in my magic and put him on my back, “Hello Blackout.”


“Hello Francois,” he replied


“Well, I guess today’s the day, we either take down Celestia and my mother’s rule, or I don’t want to think of the consequences if we lose...” I said, trailing off.


“I can’t say that I wouldn’t want to be out there with you, but I can’t say that I would either.”


“I understand what you mean my friend, but you’ve taught me everything that I’ll need to be safe, just like I’m sure you trained the soldiers under you. I know I never said this during training, but thank you. Thank you for taking me in and giving me a better chance of fighting for a better future, for both of us.”


“Just as I never thanked you for wanting to do the same for us. I look forward to hearing about our victory in Canterlot and the repeal of that terrible law.”


“We’ve still got the battle ahead of us, but I’m confident that with the training and the number we have, we’ll win. Thank you again my friend, I’ll make sure to recommend you for a promotion.”


Solstice had apparently gotten bored with the conversation between me and his father, because at that moment, I heard a small flutter of wings as he flew up to my head and stood on top of it.


Alright, alright, you want some attention, I get it,” I said with a laugh.


“Solstice, get off his head, you’re gonna hurt yourself on his horn.” Blackout said.


“Don’t worry, unicorn horns are blunt, I couldn’t puncture a balloon if I wanted to,” I replied, reaching up and poking the tip of my horn for emphasis.


“Francois, do you think we can play one more time before you leave?” Solstice asked as he climbed off my head and looked at me with big, sad eyes.


I laughed again, “I think I can spare a few minutes. Hold on tight, my little friend, I’m gonna teleport us so we can save time.”


He grabbed onto my neck as I concentrated on his backyard and casted the spell. When we landed, I opened my eyes and made sure we were in the right place; we were. Solstice was a little discombobulated by the experience though.


“You okay? I know that it’s not very pleasant if you’re not used to it.”


“I’ll be okay, just give me a minute and then I’ll go get my ball,” he said groggily.


He eventually regained himself and got his ball. We played for what seemed like a few minutes, but I was jarred out of how much fun we were having when the town clock rang for two o’clock; the designated time for the march to start out of town.


“Foal of a-” I stopped myself, “Solstice, I gotta go now. It was great playing with you, but it’s time for me to leave.”


“Alright, Francois, goodbye, I’ll miss you.”


I smiled, “I’ll miss you too, but I’ll see you soon my little friend. I think I have time for a hug goodbye though,” I said, kneeling down and holding my front legs open.


He ran and jumped right into my chest, giving me a hug like I used to give to my mother; a hug that said everything that couldn’t be expressed in words. I returned the hug with as much as he gave, for he was my first real friend. A friend that didn’t care about my past, or what I could do for him.


“I love you, Francois,” he said, clutching me like he never wanted to let go.


“I love you to, my friend,” I replied with tears forming in my eyes.


He let go and slowly walked back to his house, turning back to see my horn light up and watch me teleport away to the designated meeting place for the military commanders.


As I landed, I heard the end of a sentence, “...not coming, get ready to go.”


I shook myself off, “Sorry I’m late everypony. Can somepony bring me up to speed on where you want me and my troops?”


Moonlight frowned, “Francois, you were made a commander for this attack, please start acting like one.”


“Alright, alright, I got it. But I still need to know where my troops and I will be.”


“Come over here and I’ll show you where we want you.”


I was shown the area around the train station, the same area where I had taken Cloudflower on our date.


“Your troops will go through the train station and come out on this street, from there, clear the buildings one by one so you can’t be ambushed and then you’ll meet up with my soldiers at the entrance to the castle.”


“Alright, I think I’ve got it. If I need help, I’ll send a distress call. Anything else you need to tell me?”


“Nothing I need to tell you, but there is one other thing,” Moonlight said, nodding to somepony behind me.


“What’s that?”


My question was answered when a helmet was dropped onto my head, followed by the body armor worn by the other commanders.


“Since you’re fighting with us, you may as well be protected as well as us,” Moonlight said with a smile.


I was amazed at how light the armor was, and that they were able to get my size perfectly, they even made the helmet specially so my horn would fit.


“Guys, I don’t know what to say other than: Let’s go take Canterlot.”


“Hear, hear!’ was my response.


We left the room and split off to go and speak to our respective battalion and company commanders to discuss battle strategy. As I arrived at my battalion, I was greeted with all of them saluting.


“As you were, Francois Battalion. Battalion and Company Commanders, front and center,” I called out when I got to the front of them.


They stepped out and walked to me. When they arrived they introduced themselves as Lieutenants Lunar Storm and Lightning Strike, Captains Crescent Moon, Nightmare, and Moondust, and Colonel Darkside. I did a double take when the Battalion Commander gave her name.


“Colonel Darkside? Married to Staff Sergeant Blackout and mother of Solstice?”


“Yes, how did you know that?”


“Your husband is the one that trained me and your son has become a very good friend to me.”


“Well, that’s all well and good, but-”


“So why are you here? I believe that one of my conditions was that any soldier with a foal that is underage was to be held out.”


“I personally volunteered to be here. I know you mean well, sir, but these eight hundred soldiers trust me with their lives, and I’m not going to be at home safe, while they are out there fighting and dying.”


“I understand your feelings towards these soldiers, but isn’t your son, your own flesh and blood, more important to you? Do you have any idea how much he talked about you these past three months?”


“No, I don’t, but I care deeply about each and every one of the soldiers under my command-”


“This isn’t up for debate, Colonel!”


“I’m not debating either! I’ll either be out there, fighting with my men, or you can forget having them with you!”


I thought for a few minutes before answering, “...Fine, but know this: After this is over, you’re being placed on indefinite leave. Your family needs you, and I know all too well how it feels to not have a mother around. Do I make myself clear?”


“Crystal, sir, now let’s go over our plan, shall we?”


We went over what had been discussed with the other commanders, and we were eventually ready to move out.


“Before we go, what do we do if we see an element bearer or a princess?” Lightning Strike asked.


“If you see an Element Bearer, kill them where they stand, the other elements are useless because I’ve killed two of the other bearers already. If you see one of the Princesses, let me know and I’ll take care of it.”


“Understood, sir, I’ll make sure that my soldiers understand what to do.”

When the battalion was finally ready to go, I climbed into the carriage that had been made for me due to my lack of wings and gave the order to take off for Canterlot.

Author's Note:

Short chapter, I know, but it's just a little more character development and set-up for the final battle.

Thanks again to all of you for the likes, favorites, and the follows.

Until next time,

Stay Safe, Stay Alert, and Secure, Contain, Protect.