• Published 4th Aug 2013
  • 443 Views, 22 Comments

Moon Festival Concert - Chatterjoy



Jazzy Mellows is playing at the Moon Festival Concert but she receives a threatening note to tell her to back down. Can Princess Luna help the mare or will Jazzy be forced to back out?

  • ...
3
 22
 443

Court

Golden sunlight from the dawn filtered into the bedroom. Jazzy groaned and her diamond blue eyes opened to reveal herself in her bed. The events of last night flashing through her mind as she remembered that Princess Luna had requested her presence in the throne room this morning to discuss Chatterjoy.

The nightmare still rang fresh in the unicorn's mind as she remembered sobbing at her sink and when she was finally spent she had dragged herself back to her bed. Jazzy could not remember if she had had any more dreams that night or if she just shut down and rested but it didn't matter, Chatterjoy was still missing and Princess Luna still expected to see her in court today.

The unicorn lugged herself out of bed and forced herself to get to her restroom. Sighing she closed her eyes and opened them to stare in the mirror, still afraid of what she might find waiting for her in the reflective oval. Only a sleep-deprived unicorn stared back at her.

Jazzy's mane was a total mess, it almost looked exactly like Chatterjoy's except that the pegasus could pull this look off with an aplomb. A unicorn playing in a concert could not and Jazzy chuckled at the thought. She enveloped her brush in her telekinesis, a baby blue glow surrounding the object. Jazzy slowly and robotically began to brush out her mane and tail till they both gleamed and looked presentable.

Next, she grabbed toothpaste and her toothbrush and began to brush her teeth till they sparkled like freshly fallen snow or as Chatterjoy liked to put it, sparkle like Princess Luna's starry mane. Sighing for what seemed to be the hundredth time, Jazzy pulled out a different brush, one meant for the thin fur of one's pelt. Jazzy normally ever used this brush for special occasions like her concert or like for today, going to see a couple of Princesses.

When Jazzy finished freshening up she went to the kitchen and heated the stove. She still wanted that tea especially now that her friend was missing and she was going to see royalty. She would need a good calming drink, even more now that she was so nervous the unicorn wouldn't be able to stomach anything.

The note was still on the floor, forgotten and littered with drops of dried tears. It took all what Jazzy had to not burst out into tears again. How was she going to keep it together for practice this afternoon? The unicorn had no idea, besides what did it matter if she practiced? She couldn't participate if she wanted to make sure that Chatterjoy would be okay.

The tea kettle went off and without looking Jazzy enveloped a tea cup and the kettle in her blue aura and mechanically poured herself some tea. It was her favourite made from the moonflower that Princess Luna prided herself on.

"I hope that the Princesses will be able to find Chatterjoy, if just for her sake," Jazzy murmured to herself as she sipped her tea without even tasting a single drop.

Jazzy had brought the lock of mane that the foalnapper had mailed to her along with the threatening letter and the unicorn neatly folded it back and put the letter back into the opened envelope. Out of curiousity Jazzy flipped to the backside to see if there was a return address.

3456 Prance St
Canterlot
67893

A fake, Jazzy should have figured, there was no Prance St. in Canterlot, in fact very few streets were named here in the Equestrian capital. If the streets were named at all it usually was some other alias or title of the royalty. Bringer of Dawn was a popular street and many of the higher nobles lived on that road.

If a street name was required most unicorns just named the street with the most shops it had on the sides. Even then it was pointless, the only streets that had names were the residential ones.

To Jazzy's disappointment due to her musing she had finished off her tea and so it was time for her to head to the castle. Part of her wished that her subconscious had just made all of that up. I mean really? Princess Luna dream spying like a little foal who tries to open their Hearth's Warming Eve presents early or peek into them to see what they got. The thought was pretty funny and Jazzy chuckled at the memory.

The unicorn finally steeled her courage and walked out of her house and turned towards the castle. It was going to be a long day indeed.

Finally the castle was in sight and Jazzy took a deep breath and entered the white fortress. The guards showed her to the courtroom that was surprisingly empty. A pony would think that Princess Celestia received more petitioners.

"Glad you could make it Jazzy Mellows," Princess Celestia said. Jazzy slowly walked into the large throne room her ears laid back and her eyes scanning for anypony that was not supposed to be there. Her fears were alleviated as she saw that the only ponies in the room were Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

"Thou hadst brought the note and lock of mane, yes?" Princess Luna asked as she locked eyes with the nervous unicorn. Jazzy nodded and from the saddlebag that was on her back she lifted with her telekinesis the lock of Chatterjoy's mane and the letter.

Princess Celestia enveloped the letter within the envelope with her own magic and lifted it up to her face to read. Princess Luna took the lock of man and inspected it. Jazzy suspected that they were making sure both items were real and not faked though the unicorn couldn't imagine faking a foalnapping for any reason.

Princess Luna returned the lock of mane to Jazzy. The unicorn just put it back into her saddlebag and watched Princess Celestia as her eyes swiveled back and forth as she read the letter. No expression was visible on her face but the room seemed to get a bit hotter as the Princess read on.

After a while Princess Celestia gave it to Princess Luna who read it with incredible speed. The room that once began to get really hot began to get really cold.

"The foalnapper is very proud of himself, he thinks himself smart, however he has made two mistakes," Celestia stated looking back at Jazzy while her sister scanned over the note. "In some of the sentences it sounds as if it is only him, one pony involved, but in another sentence he used the plural."

"It tells us that the foalnapper is working for somepony," Princess Luna spoke up. The Princess of the night returned the letter and took the envelope and looked at the return address. She made a face as she realized the fake.

Jazzy folded her ears back, all they knew now was that the foalnapper was working for somepony else. They had nothing and her concert practice would be in an hour.

"Dost thou hast any inkling of who would do this to you?" Princess Luna asked. She had lowered herself to eye level and was smiling kindly and reassuringly to the distraught unicorn.

Jazzy looked away from the Princesses. She had an idea of who would do this but she didn't want to point any hooves at anypony.

"We can not help you Jazzy if you don't give us the information we seek," calmly stated Princess Celestia as she too walked up to the unicorn and put a hoof on her shoulder. Jazzy sighed and relented.

"Prince Blueblood absolutely abhors Chatterjoy, he barely even allows me in his presence, he detests that I mingle with common pegasi like Chatterjoy," confessed the unicorn as she tightly shut her eyes and waited for the Princesses to throw her out for accusing their nephew.

"It would not be beneath him to do so wouldn't you agree little sister?" Princess Celestia asked looking at Luna. Jazzy seemed all but forgotten.

"I agree Sister," Luna said and then turning to Jazzy, "We will find out the truth of what has transpired as now We have information to work upon!"

Luna then conjured up with her magic a bubble pipe and a Sherlock Pones cap. Jazzy just stared open mouthed at the Princess of the night and Princess Celestia rolled her eyes. Leaning to her level Princess Celestia whispered in Jazzy's ear, "Ever since she read the books, Luna has been obsessed."

Jazzy only nodded and shut her mouth. "By your leave, Your Majesties." Jazzy bowed and with a wave of their hooves the unicorn left to head to her concert practice.

Luna puffed on her pipe, "We go forth now to find clues!" The Princess of the night then puffed a few more bubbles and teleported away. Princess Celestia was left by herself in the throne room. Now all that was left to do was to secretly inform the director via coded message of Jazzy's dilemma.