• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 829 Views, 68 Comments

To Be Free - OverthoughtName



A changeling slave no more, Nirvana must find her way. With the help of Dust, she might be able to manage more than she could imagine

  • ...
1
 68
 829

Chapter 6

Thanks to Joshyboy327 on DA for pre-reading and editing


<Dust's POV>

We both enjoyed our lunches at Sugarcube Corner as I explained what exactly happened not minutes before. Nirvana looked confused at the matter of Pinkie Pie, as most ponies did when first meeting the Pink devil. I spoke of the time she saved the town from the parasprites, and even the time she nearly went insane over a party. Pinkie Pie’s time in the spotlight usually was for odd reasons and unexplainable events. I was at a loss for words when trying to explain just what Pinkie Pie was, and just like everypony before me I defaulted to saying “Pinkie is just being Pinkie.”

We finished the food that the Cakes had made just as I completed my scattered explanation of Pinkie. Maybe one day, a group of scientists can research her. I can just imagine all of them being dumbfounded just by the way she is. Can she even be classified as a pony? I don’t truly know, and I’m not willing to find the answer either.

“I don’t really understand much of what you just said, but I think I got enough to know what to do next time I encounter this ‘Pinkie Pie’” Nirvana said. She really had no idea what Pinkie was either. She just sat there throughout the entire exposition with confusion written upon her face. I don’t blame her though, I was the same when I first met Pinkie.

After the noon hour expired we left the café and moved through the town once again. The skies were beginning to grey, which worried me somewhat. The weather pegasi did not plan for a storm or grey skies for at least a week. “We might have to hurry along with our tour, as we don’t want to get caught in the storm coming.” I said to Nirvana who was only steps behind.

“I’ve seen quite a lot today already, Dust. Ponyville is an interesting town that I hope I can get used to eventually.” She replied. We hadn’t covered much of the town yet, but I guess she was still processing the whole Pinkie Pie thing. Before we called it a day I had one place left to go, my house. I needed to see how repairs were coming along, and with this storm, hopefully it won’t get flooded overnight.

We walked at a brisk pace, as the rain had begun to start. I really hoped we could get back to the hotel fast enough, as I do not want to test my luck against the natural elements yet again. I looked behind me to see if Nirvana was keeping up, but it seemed like she had burned herself out and couldn’t do it anymore.

“Dust, I-I’m just too tired. The disguise, the walking, I just can’t take it anymore. Please, can we just stop for a minute?” She said wearily as her eyes drooped. She looked absolutely drained and I can understand why. Her keeping up that disguise of hers plus her natural magic to feel strong emotions, clearly killed all the energy left in her. I couldn’t stop though, the rain would drench us both if we did. So I decided to carry her on my back. With one swift flick of the neck, she collapsed on my back and we carried onward.

The rain was picking up in speed and force now, and I was in a full gallop to get to my destination. It was only a few meters away, but it felt like miles to me. The house was now in view, and I was relieved that I no longer needed to sprint. I slowed myself as I moved up to the house, the walls and roof slowly getting larger and closer. ‘Only a bit farther now’ I thought to give myself the drive to keep going. I could now see the house in full view, and what I saw made me break down in tears of joy and absolute confusion.

My house…the one that was burned not two days ago…was completely fixed. I didn’t know who or what did this, but I was soon to find my answer. Within seconds of recomposing myself, I saw three ponies leaving the front entrance of my house, one an orange mare, the second, a large red stallion, and finally, a little yellow filly with red hair and a blue bow to compliment it. They walked towards me with the largest smiles I had ever seen on anypony’s face. I didn’t know what to say, my house was fixed from the damages and was possibly in better shape than before the fire happened. The trio of ponies were now in front of me, still adorning their large smiles.

“Howdy!” The orange one said. She wore a Stetson over her simple blonde hair, just as her freckles just sat below her emerald green eyes. I needed to speak, but no words were coming out. ‘Keep your mind straight, Dust’ I thought.

Once again after recollecting myself, I said “H-hello there.” I was still in shock, but I would get over it in a matter of minutes. I couldn’t say much right now, but I needed to ask. “You fixed my house?”

The red one stepped up now. He had short blonde hair with deep green eyes. He stood much higher than other stallions and had the muscle mass to give Snowflake a run for his money. All he said to answer my question was “Eeyup.” He didn’t seem a like a pony of many words just from that alone, but I can’t judge him, as I barely know him.

“Well, to be exact, my little sister did. She saw the house and wanted to fix it up.” The orange one said now turning to the little yellow filly. She was timid at first, as if she thought she did something terrible, but she perked right up upon hearing her name and began explaining everything she did to fix the house.

“Well… to be exact, ah replaced the floorboards, patched the drywall, removed the old shingles to put on the new ones, painted the rooms…” She went on with all the repairs with stars in her eyes. She clearly took pride in her work, and was really excited as she continued talking. As she neared the end of the long-winded restoration details, there was a faint glow coming from behind her that quickly faded away. I seemed to be the only one who noticed, as the ponies made no note of it.

Our conversation quickly ended, but before the three ponies could go, we finally got our introductions out of the way. The orange mare was Applejack, the red one was her brother, Big Macintosh, and the little filly/ repairmare was their sister, Applebloom. I had seen them quite a few times in the town, but never got to meet them, let alone know any of them on a first name basis. Suddenly though, I could hear what sounded like a window cracking.

<Nirvana’s POV>

I had no more energy left. My magic was drained, and I had no choice but to drop my disguise. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t like to know what might happen to me. It wouldn’t be discreet and would draw some attention, but I couldn’t care, as the lack of magic caused me to experience unnoticeable, yet excruciating pain.

With a loud crack and shatter of magic, it was gone. Anypony nearby would be able to see that I was a changeling, but I couldn’t do anything about it. I was then quickly rushed inside as I fell unconscious once again.

<Dust’s POV>

“Well, we need to be off now. Bloom’s got school in the mornin’, and me and Big Mac got a lot of trees to buck.” Applejack said as they begun to walk off. We said our goodbyes and began to take our separate ways, but a hint of worry lingered in my mind just after I head that cracking noise not moments earlier.

I didn’t know what that cracking was, but was quickly met with the answer. Nirvana’s disguise was no longer active, which could be a danger to her if discovered. I galloped to my house as quickly as possible, attempting to hide her from any wandering eyes, but something already told me that somepony knew…

Author's Note:

So, the next chapter is here, and will be coming as fast as possible (maybe once a week at best).
Thanks to Joshyboy327 once again for pre-reading!

I'm not going to be hinting anything for the next chapters anymore, as it would ruin the surprise. But take a guess anyways what may/may not happen.

Until next time, have a good night.