• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 824 Views, 68 Comments

To Be Free - OverthoughtName



A changeling slave no more, Nirvana must find her way. With the help of Dust, she might be able to manage more than she could imagine

  • ...
1
 68
 824

Chapter 2

To Be Free Chapter 2

“But of course, anything in particular?” I asked her, not really knowing if she would enjoy anything I would be making for her.

“A-anything is fine for me, really” Nirvana replied to me. I contemplated over what I could make for her, as I really didn’t know much about changelings and their eating habits.

In a matter of seconds though I rushed into the kitchen preparing something I know she couldn’t refuse. “It’ll take about an hour to get it all ready. So while I whip something up, do you mind just staying in the living room?”

<Nirvana’s POV>

“S-sure, mister Dust.” I said as I examined the room. It was vastly different from my previous masters’, very welcoming in a sense. There was another feeling it gave, but I couldn’t truly put my hoof on it. I walked through the small, simple, and yellow tinted room, just a pair of beige sofas and a lamp varying its landscape. I finally decided to lie on one of the sofas due to my intensifying fatigue. I close my eyes and just let my mind wander.

I found myself floating in front of a greyish landscape. There was a faint hint of blue making it stand out more, but no one would truly be able to notice. I was by myself, absolutely alone with only my thoughts to quell the feeling. But now that I felt alone, I could try to grasp what has happened so far.

There was so much to take in. I have been a slave since I hatched, that much I knew. I had grown used to starvation and punishment; it truly didn’t affect me anymore. Emotions had to be cast away, as they only led to pain and anguish. Only now are they beginning to emerge once more, but this time they’re ‘different’, and it frightens me so.

Being free seemed like an unobtainable dream, but here it was, now in my grasp. What am I to do now? Will society accept something like me to just be a part of it? Questions like these flood into my mind, but the answers never seem to come. My last master would tell me to throw away such thoughts, as she saw no use for them in what she did. The past is something that I no longer fear though; it’s what lies in the future.

I never understood why Dust was accepting of me, and I may never know. Perhaps I could ask him when I wake. He was just so open about things and almost inconceivably merry around me. Was it a ruse to make me bring my guard down? Does he have something terrible planned for me? But he seemed so genuine. But at the same time, maybe there is someone who will treat me well and as an equal.

The dreamscape that I transpired had quickly melted away as I heard a loud ringing and the faint smell of smoke assaulted my senses. Wait a second, smoke! I jumped off the sofa in increasing fear. I ran for the kitchen area, just as I heard an audible thud and groan of pain. On the floor was Dust, knocked unconscious, possibly from smoke inhalation and the increased heat from the roaring fire emerging from the stove. I had to get us out of here, and quickly.

< Dust’s POV >

A few minutes prior…

I never was a great cook. The practice I’ve been giving myself hadn’t improved my skill either. How I survived so long on my poor excuses of ‘edible’ food, I’ll never know. But this was different this had to be perfection. The look Nirvana gave me when she asked me to make her something was just screaming her intense hunger. I got out one of those cookbooks I borrowed from the library, and got straight to work.

I planned to make a vegetable soup and garden salad with Haytalian dressing on the side. The salad came along quite well (I mean, how could anypony mess up a salad), the soup on the other hoof, got out of hoof rather quickly. The water over boiled as I had the stove on way too high a temperature, and within moments smoke shrouded my vision.

I accidently inhaled too much of it and couldn’t call out for help, as my voice had become shot. The next thing I notice is the faint colours of red, yellow and orange erupting form the stovetop. I didn’t know what to do, I wasn’t prepared for a fire to break out. But I was too late to escape the Celestia forsaken room, as I began to feel weak and found myself on the floor within seconds. I blacked out just as I heard a sharp gasp from nearby…

< Nirvana’s POV >

Using some of the magic my previous master had taught me to keep up my workload, I levitated Dust off the floor and sprinted for the door. I attempted to open it, but it was too hot for my exoskeleton to grasp for a prolonged period of time. I needed to do something, and I knew I had tried something like this before, but I had no idea if it would work. I mustered up most of my magic and put it into a transportation spell. I let out a sharp yell of pain as I continued to conjure it. Then, all I saw was white…

We were outside of the flaming house. Ponies were beginning to gather around it, risking my exposure. I didn’t have much energy left, but I had to transform into my pony form. It was a simple spell we changelings knew, but it was often too flashy to do in such a crowded area, due to the engulfing flames it expelled. Luckily, because it would blend in with the preexisting fire coming from the building behind Dust and I, it wouldn’t seem too suspicious.

I concentrated one last time as the flames overtook my body, covering every inch as the flame erupted upwards and out. In little time did my form change into that of a little unicorn filly. My eyes became more bulbous, as my horn shortened, ears rounded out, and my wings disappeared. My exoskeleton began to produce an off-white coat, though my mane stayed the same teal colour it had always been. The flames began to disperse as the spell was coming to finish its work. My transformation had now been complete.

I was quickly growing tired yet again, but I knew I couldn’t lose myself due to fatigue without someone to help us. I yelled as loud as I could “PLEASE! SOMEPONY HELP US!”. My eyes began to falter and I saw the shadowy silhouettes of ponies coming to our aid. With that, I stumbled and fell unconscious atop of Dusk’s limp body.

Author's Note:

Chapter 2. Getting into things, like backstory (kind of). And yes, Dust has the cooking skills of Sweetie Belle, probably worse actually. Again, criticism is appreciated and helpful.

Next chapter: We will learn just exactly why Dust is so welcoming of Nirvana. Who was Nirvana's previous master? (It's *CENSORED*). And to top it all off, Nirvana's tour of Ponyville (Guided by Dust, interrupted by the Pink Blur)

Have a good night everyone, and thanks for reading. More soon!