• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 824 Views, 68 Comments

To Be Free - OverthoughtName



A changeling slave no more, Nirvana must find her way. With the help of Dust, she might be able to manage more than she could imagine

  • ...
1
 68
 824

Chapter 4


< Dust's POV >

After being released from the hospital, Nirvana and I began the short trek to my house to see what the fire had done. On the way, Nirvana was asking question after question about my life with the griffons and about my life in Canterlot. I tried to answer her plethora of questions, but they seemed to keep coming. Of the questions asked, I knew all the answers, but, for her sake and mine, I had to avoid as many as possible.

Nirvana was still in her disguise, as to not draw attention to herself, even though it was the late evening and not many ponies wandered about the town after dark. We arrived at the house not long after, and with a deep sigh, I could already tell the damage had been done. “Your house is fine” the nurse assured him. Fine my flank, the exterior and interior were charred, windows were broken, most likely to let out the smoke, and the kitchen, by Celestia the kitchen was beyond most ponies skills of repair.

Luck be it that the two bedrooms on the upper floor sustained the least damage. The blankets would have to be replaced, and the draft from the open space that used to house a window was dreadful, but I could still find happiness in it all as I found that the flame that engulfed my house did not touch my personal belongings. The administrator at the hospital had asked if I needed accommodations at the town inn, and even though I denied the offer, they had called anyways and gave me the address ‘just in case’.

I looked over to Nirvana, who had her ears down on her head and her eyes focused on the floor. She looked depressed from seeing the house like this. She knew it wasn’t hers, but she held concern nonetheless. Her concern seemed almost as great as my own. I was forced out of my own house, and now we had to continue disguising Nirvana until the house was repaired. Silence swept over the house, ad silence that I needed to break.

“Well, Nirvana, the house will be out of use for us for a while. We are going to have to stay somewhere else. I know things have been happening really quickly for you the past few days, but I want you to know that from now own… we’re ordering take-out.” I jested to her, earning a weak chuckle and snort.

Her spirits needed the lift. She had been a slave only four days ago, but now she had her own life to live. She would begin to feel and emote, just as any other pony/changeling would. In the past four days, life went on in a steep upward cliff, which we were both unable to climb. It would take time, but we would manage to get over it.

“Where are we going to stay while the house is being fixed?” She asked with concern and nervousness. It was all so new to her, but she would learn in time.

“The inn, Nirvana. We passed it on the way here. It’s not too far, but we both could use a rest and I feel that neither if us will make it if we dawdle here too long.” I said to Nirvana as I began out the door. Nirvana followed closely, maybe about two or three steps behind. We were once again out and about with only one target in mind, the inn.

Not much was said between us, as we seemed to just walk with our heads to the star-filled skies. It was a beautiful night tonight, something only seen on a clear summer night such as this. The moon was full, as the stars formed the constellations that fascinated many ponies over the years. While the scene was picturesque and a wonder to bask in, it was short lived as we both closed in on the inn.

< Nirvana’s POV >

The stars were beautiful this night. I never truly got to seem them, as I was often jailed to the house or factory of my masters. When I did see them however, they filled me with glee as their light shone down upon me. They were distant rays of hope from the heavens that I wished upon on he rare chance I got. I never knew that my hopes and wishes would come true as I faced the reality that I was now free.

The stars also got me thinking, thinking of Dust. Dust seemed like an imaginary friend only meant to keep her company until I let my guard down long enough to be hurt once again. What I didn’t expect was Dust speaking of his past. It shocked me to no ends to hear that he was too, a slave at one point. I would have never taken him to be one, as he wasn’t a disheveled mess, nor was he somepony who looked emotionally scarred, something I was for a long time. Thoughts about Dust went one for what felt like hours, but soon we arrived at the inn.

We checked in and took to our rooms. We were given two beds, one for each of us, an oil lamp to light the room, and a chest in the middle, to store any items or paraphernalia we brought along. It was mundane and unwelcoming, obviously not meant for prolonged stays. I missed the house we were in not an hour ago already. Not long after entering did we both deicide to just sleep for the night.

We would come up with a plan of action once the sun rose. We needed to decide what Dust would do now that he lived away from his house for a while. We also needed to know what I planned to do with my newfound freedom. In other words, I needed something to occupy my time now. Working had always been what I did with my time. What did fillies my age do in the summer anyways? It didn’t now I guess, as all I could focus on was getting to sleep on this stiff bed.

Author's Note:

Yay filler chapter! Kinda just needed one to set up for the next chapter. Now that I can move on with plot, I can get the story rolling along.

In the next chapter: We finally go around Ponyville. We find that even though she isn't a slave anymore, Nirvana still enjoys work or small tasks. The Big Pink Puff will make her entrance.