• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 827 Views, 68 Comments

To Be Free - OverthoughtName



A changeling slave no more, Nirvana must find her way. With the help of Dust, she might be able to manage more than she could imagine

  • ...
1
 68
 827

Chapter 5

It was now morning. Dust was getting the builders to prepare fixing his house, which they said would take about three weeks to finish. Dust said that he wouldn’t need to pay for it, and gleefully walked off. I didn’t understand why, but if he was happy about it, so was I. First thing he wanted to do was show me around Ponyville.

We started in the market, which was located in the middle of the small town. Arriving in the market, we passed by many of the stands set up for the work day ahead. Some were selling foods of all types, while others were just set up to fill the expansive space. We passed by many ponies of different colours and sizes. It was almost eye straining, but I quickly adjusted to it all. As we passed through the market, now preparing to move on with our tour, Dust approached a shop with many floral arrangements and topiary pieces situated both outside and inside. I followed as to not get lost.

“Hello? Anypony here?” Dust said as he walked into the store. A mare with a beige coat and faded red hair turned around to face him. She looked at him with a smile on her face as he walked up. I didn’t know what to say about this, so I stayed quiet and let the scene play out.

“Morning Dust. Finally coming into work are you? It’s been a week or two since I saw you in here. Well, you gonna explain yourself or are you just gonna keep staring at me.” The mare said to Dust in attempt to tease him. I risked a chuckle, as what she said seemed to have come from nowhere.

“You never change, do you Roseluck? I know I’ve been off work for a week, but the demand for flowers has been so low this autumn, we haven’t even seen much work to go to.” Dust replied to the now named Roseluck. From what I could make out, Dust worked here with her, but I’m getting this feeling that there is something more than just work between them.

“Look Dust, I know work around here gets slow until winter comes around for us to sell trees for Hearth’s Warming, but it still isn’t a good enough excuse not to come in. Plus, it gets kinda lonely around here.” Roseluck explained to Dust with a pouty look. “But, enough about me and my problems, I heard about the fire a few days ago, you doing okay?” She asked.

Dust was still trying to think quickly for an excuse. He looked franticly around the store, until her saw me. I think he may of thought of something. “I understand Roseluck, but I wanted you to know that I took the week off to show my niece around Ponyville and get her acquainted. The fire is going to be a huge inconvenience, but we’ll manage.”

“Yeah I understand, just come in for Monday and it’ll be fine. You and your niece have a good weekend Dust.” Roseluck finished. Well, at least now he could get off work no problem. We now left the store with a goodbye to Roseluck and started on our way again.


Dust looked like he was in another world when we left the store. He was giving off that same feeling I felt in the store. I had no idea what it is, but dawned on me as we wore a slight blush. Something was up with him and Roseluck, and I just needed to ask.

“Dust…how’s it going over there...Dust?” I said. A few minutes passed, but he was lost in his own world. Finally, I needed to get him out of his stupor, so I decided to do what any logical pony/changeling would do and used my magic to slap him a bit. He shook his head swiftly back and forth, as he looked around still wearing his deepening blush and then looked at me.

“Oh, sorry Nirvana, I was just thinking about some things.” He said clearly avoiding what I already could guess, and I was willing to let myself rub it in.

“You mean thinking about Roseluck, right?” I said with a sly grin upon my face. Dust could only look at me with shrunken pupils and horror written on his face, as he knew I found out something important to him. He tried to hush me up with a hoof, and pulled me away from the main street as to not let anyone else hear him.

“How did you know?” He asked. “My crush on Roseluck isn’t that noticeable is it?” He finished with a whisper in my ear. I was laughing uncontrollably when he asked that.

“Dust, it’s really noticeable if you keep running around Ponyville with a blush as red as her mane. Also, I could tell since I’m changeling, remember. We feel emotions and understand them better than anyone, especially love.” I explained to Dust. He looked as if he was going to faint right there, but he quickly composed himself and led us back to the street.

“So, how long has this been going on”? I ask, trying to get something juicy out of this. All he did was hang his head and quietly say, “Since I got the job.”

“When are you going to tell her?” I asked to further the conversation. Dust just stopped in his tracks. He just couldn’t wrap his head over the fact of telling Roseluck his feelings.

“Uhhhh…” is all Dust could say. He looked around frantically for anything to get him out of this conversation, and then it hit him, literally. Something that looked like a gigantic pink furball crashed into Dust and began to jump on him. Within seconds, a second pink object bounced onto the scene.

“Hey Dust, I see you met my new friend, Fluffle.” The pink bouncing thing said to Dust, who was know engulfed by the fur this “Fluffle” was packing. I still didn’t know who this other pink one was, but I didn’t want to know. Next thing I knew, I was assaulted by ocean blue eyes and a sharp gasp as the second pink thing ran in the opposite direction of us. I have no idea what I just saw, and I hope to live in blissful ignorance of it.

Dust was still struggling under the “Fluffle”, but with a bit of magic, I pulled it off of him and tossed it down the street. Dust looked winded from the weight of that thing, but after a few moments he rose from the ground. So many questions assaulted my mind about what just happened, and they needed to be answered. I was opening my mouth just as Dust said. “I’ll explain what just happened over lunch, but prepare to not understand the half of it.”

“Okay, where to Dust?” I asked as we walked up to a large building that looked like a giant gingerbread house. It looked good enough to eat, but I had no idea it was actually brick when I tried to take a bite out of it. My hunger was really getting to me, and this house was doing me no favours in that case.

Dust walked up beside me and said, “Oh, you found the best place to eat. Come on Nirvana, let’s get lunch at Sugarcube Conrner. I’ll explain everything while we’re here…

Author's Note:

I don't like writing for Pinkie, she's just too random. And yes, Fluffle was going to be in the fic, but only this once.
I think we all know why Pinkie ran off, but that will wait for a bit.

Next chapter, Dust will try to explain Pinkie Pie (Ummmm...no, it's impossible). Nirvana is going to try and pry into Dust's love life again. The house might be fixed sooner than we hoped because of a great little filly.

Thanks for reading guys, have a great day!