• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 1,569 Views, 54 Comments

Twilight's Transmutation - Epicburst



Upon Twilight's request to expand her knowledge with magic, she requests that Princess Luna teaches her the ancient art of alchemy.

  • ...
27
 54
 1,569

Chapter 7

Twilight's Transmutation
Chapter 7
Warning: This chapter contains blood

Dash's mind stopped as she entered the basement. She saw Twilight in the far side of the room, crying and cursing, as she tried to get up. She didn't get very far, as the gash at her side oozed fresh blood. Then Fluttershy came into her view. seeing her fillyhood friend in a pool of her own blood lit Dash's mind ablaze. She was currently dragging herself around with one wing, sobbing uncontrollably. Her once bright yellow mane was no more, as her coat was dull orange, matted with blood.

Dash finally came to, realizing Applejack was trying to get her to move. Rainbow immediately charged towards Twilight. How could she do that to Fluttershy? She immediately got into Twilight's face, just to make sure she could see her. "What did you do to her Twilight!" Dash felt a hoof on her shoulder and she turned to see Applejack, eyes wide with fear.

"RD, you grab Fluttershy! I can take Twi' and we need to get them to the hospital!" Dash trotted towards fluttershy and tried to raise her onto her feet, forcing an immediate cry out of Fluttershy. Awkwardly, Dash got on top of Fluttershy and wrapped her legs around her.

Dash flew out of the basement, Applejack right behind her. As they exited the building, they saw Spike patting Rarity's back as she retched in the grass. Nodding towards Spike, they continued for the hospital.

"Please somepony help them!" Applejack yelled as they entered the hospital. The secretary gasped and pressed a button. Second later Nurse Redheart, Nurse Coldheart, and Nurse Sweetheart entered the lobby with stretchers and picked Twilight off of Applejack’s back.

“This one is going to need a blood transfusion.” Nurse Redheart said, placing Fluttershy on a stretcher. As soon as they came, they were gone, leaving Applejack and Rainbow Dash alone with the horrifying images of what they saw.

Applejack walked over to where Rainbow Dash was currently staring at her hooves. “RD, lets get you cleaned up.”

Rainbow looked up, startled, then looked down, just noticing her stomach and chest were matted with blood. “Y-yea . . .okay.”

Applejack asked for a washcloth from the secretary, and led Rainbow to the bathroom. Applejack turned on the faucet, and wet the washcloth. Dash sat patiently as Applejack then proceeded to wash the blood off of her.

“You don’t have to do that you know,” Dash said, when Applejack got up to rinse off the washcloth.” I can wash myself.”

Applejack continued washing her friend, getting up to rinse the cloth off for the fifth time, she sighed. “ I know that RD, I just want all of your attention on me so I can talk to you.”

Dash sighed, knowing where the conversation was going. “RD, what’s goin’ on with you and Fluttershy?”

“Applejack, I already explained it. I’m just tired of being held back. I want to push myself harder than this, but everytime I try, Fluttershy gets worried about me.” Applejack was finished washing Rainbow off, and they exited the bathroom.

“I just can’t do it anymore AJ! I’m just so confused!” Rainbow laid on her stomach and put her hooves over her eyes.”’Shy is awesome and everything, but she’s slowing me down.

“RD, if you’re blaming this on poor Fluttershy, Ah’ll buck ya so hard you’ll forget yer name.” Applejack watched as Rainbow shifted nervously. “Look sugarcube, remember when we were climbing that mountain to move that sleeping dragon.”

Dash nodded, she remembered the fact that she wanted to just fly off ahead of her friends.”Do you think ah wanted to go around the long way around the mountain?” Rainbow nodded again, looking over at Applejack. “Ah took the long way around because Fluttershy was worth it. You need to realize the give and take involved with this, Sugarcube.”

Applejack wrapped her hooves around Rainbow. ”Everypony requires somethin’ sugarcube. Fluttershy just requires a little patients that’s all,” Applejack released Rainbow from the hug, and looked her in the eye. “and in return you will get her unwavering kindness.”


Spike was laying next to Rarity, comforting her as she sobbed silently. Spike didn't care what he was doing, not as much as the who. Spike could care less how long he has been there, either holding Rarity’s hair back, or petting her wonderfully soft coat. After some amount of time, Spike didn't know whether it was minutes, hours, or days, Rarity picked herself up. “L-lets go to the hospital Spike.” Spike nodded and walked alongside her.

Rarity and Spike walked into the hospital lobby to see Rainbow Dash crying into Applejack’s shoulder. Looking over her shoulder, Applejack motioned for the duo to come closer. Rarity and Spike walked closer to Applejack. “Have you heard anything, darling?” Whispered Rarity, trying not to disturb Rainbow Dash’s well needed discharge of emotion.

Applejack shook her head.”Not yet,” She turned towards Rainbow, who was now sleeping on her shoulder. “This night has been tough on all of us, let’s follow Rainbow’s example and try to get sleep.” Spike nodded, it was way past his bedtime, and he looked like he would collapse any minute.

Applejack looked at Rarity, and realized that she was pale. “Rarity, are you alright?” Rarity looked up at her friend and gave a small smile.

“O-of course darling. W-what would make you think otherwise?”

“It’s alright sugarcube, what we saw down there wasn’t pretty.” Applejack patted her hoof next her, motioning for Rarity to come sit down. “Sugarcube,” She started, as Rarity sat down next to her. “ You can tell me what’s worrying ya. It worked for Rainbow, it can work for you also.”

Rarity smiled, looking at Rainbow laying on Applejack's shoulder, absolutely exhausted. “A-Applejack . . . What if they don’t make it!” Rarity broke down into sobs. “Y-you all blood in the basement!” Applejack wrapped her left hoof around her friend, embracing her, rocking slowly.

“Hush now sugarcube,” Applejack cooed, petting Rarity’s mane slowly. “You know how strong they are. They’ll pull through, Ah’m sure of it.” If I said that they’ll pull through, they will! Nothing can make a liar out of me!

Applejack looked as she heard a noise. Looking around, she spotted Spike curled up in a ball, crying silently. Noticing that she couldn’t come to him, she had to make him come to her. “Psst, Spike! C'mere sugarcube. It’s alright, lay down next me.” She smiled as Spike picked himself up and waddled over to her. She watched as Spike yawned and curled up on a ball on her lap.

“There ya go,” Applejack sighed. ”one big happy bundle on floor of a hospital . . .” Applejack’s thoughts drifted.


All too quickly, Applejack was awoken from her nap by the sound of whispering. How long have I been asleep? Unable to get up with her friends resting up against her, Applejack looked up and saw a brown stallion hovering over her.

“Sorry to bother you miss,” The stallion whispered,”But we have news of your friends.” Applejack’s ears stood up and she nodded for him to continue. “Miss Twilight Sparkle is currently awake. She’s still injured, and we can’t use any magic of her because of some foreign energy of some kind.” Applejack shot him a quizzical look, silently asking for more information. “Don’t worry Miss, she’s fine, it’s just that the unicorn doctors can’t do anything for her to speed up her recovery, so she’ll be here for a couple days.”

Applejack looked around towards her three friends, all of them still sleeping soundly. “What time is it?” She asked.
The doctor looked down at his watch. “3:40 A.M Ma’am.”

Applejack nodded,”So, what about Fluttershy? Is she alright?”

The doctor’s expression darkened and he gave a slow nod. “She has lost a lot of blood before you brought her here. At about 1:26 A.M, she had a hemorrhage through her legs, which we were able to stop. At roughly 1:52 A.M, she went through the first of three seizures. The first of the three was due to a high fever of 108.2. We weren’t expecting her to survive, but minutes later, the drugs we gave her worked, and it went down to 106.5.

“The second seizure was around 2:25 A.M, due to some type of foreign magical reaction. Her body began to fight off the magic in anyway possible, and the only solution that would work was self destruction. In order to prevent the self destruction, we put her into a comma. This essentially slowed the brain down, reducing the amount of energy certain brain areas had to prevent the self-destruction. Unfortunately, other areas in the brain were still active, processing her experience. At around 3 O’clock, she began to panic, we tried to calm her, but to no avail, and the overreaction of her brain was going to cause severe nerve damage. So, we increased the dosage slightly, and sent her deeper into her coma.

“She is currently under observation, and is reacting well with her blood transfusions. If you want, you can visit Miss Twilight Sparkle in the morning.”

Applejack felt her eyes brimming with tears at the thought that Fluttershy was hurt so badly. “W-what are Fluttershy’s chances?”

The doctor looked down at his clipboard before he answered. “It depends, we would say that she’s doing fine, but while she is in her coma, we can’t study the effects that the foreign magic has to her body. So far, under her conditions, she should recover nicely.” The doctor’s face cringed as he looked over his clipboard again. “I-I’m sorry Miss, I missed this note. U-um Miss Fluttershy . . .she . . .she has lost her legs.”

Applejack’s mind had to have skipped something, it was 3:40 in the morning, and she only got ten minutes of sleep. “Wait, I think Ah missed somethin’, ya said she lost her legs?” The doctor nodded. “W-well how many did she loose?”

“S-she lost all four of them Miss. She will never walk again. ” The doctor said apprehensively.

Applejack’s ears splayed out on her head, tears filled her eyes. How could Ah let this happen? “O-okay then . . .” Applejack’s tone made it clear to the doctor that she didn’t want to continue this conversation any further, so he backed out of the lobby as quietly as possible.


Applejack didn't sleep the rest of the night, her mind filled with scenarios of how Fluttershy not being able to recover, or how she didn't make it at all. Then she thought of Twilight. What was she thinking? What was she trying to do to Fluttershy that could go wrong so horribly?

The hours rolled by, and finally her friends were beginning to wake up. Rainbow got off her shoulder, smiling uncomfortably. “Heh heh,” she chuckled slightly, as she straightened her mane with her hoof. “sorry about that AJ, I guess I fell asleep.”

Rarity was the next one to get up, she yawned softly and smiled at the two of her friends. “Goodness, what a night, I better get home and check up on Sweetie Belle.” Rarity rose to leave, but stopped as Applejack’s hoof touched her shoulder.

“Hold on there, sugarcube. I need to tell y'all somethin’.” Applejack nudged Spike awake, and told them all what the doctor said.

As Applejack expected, Rarity and Spike’s eyes shown a hint of worry and relief, but as she turned to look at Rainbow, her eyes showed something different. Anger.

Rainbow Dash was floored as she heard the news. Twilight ruined Fluttershy’s life single hoofed, in only two hours. Why did Twilight do that! Dash’s mind raced thinking of a possible explanation. Wait! It’s within visiting hours, why don’t I just ask her myself! Without any warning, Rainbow Dash sped off through the hospital.

Applejack sighed, only Rainbow would dash off looking for a room without the room number. Applejack trotted over to the front desk. “Um, what room is Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle in?”

The secretary flipped through her notepad briefly. “Rooms 24 and 25 C respectively, although room 24 is locked to visitors at the moment.” Applejack nodded and trotted off towards Twilight’s room with Spike and Rarity close behind.


Rainbow Dash sped through the hospital, opening one room after the other as she searched for Twilight the Traitor. No. No. No. Dash yelled in her mind as she opened and closed doors to the wrong rooms. Dash tried to push the next door open, but it was locked, so just as swiftly she flew briefly to the next door. When she opened it, she saw a lavender mare, with bandage around her waist and chest. She looked up from her Daring Doo story, and she smiled weakly. How could she smile at a time like this! Dash barely got her hoof in the door, before her suppressed rage exploded inside of her. “You!”

Twilight had a second to react, which half of which were of her thinking of what to do. In the next half second, Twilight tried a simple barrier spell, and regretted it instantly. Her head was impaled with a hot knife of pain, and all she could do is watch as Rainbow Dash closed the gap.

“Why would you do that to her! I thought she was your friend!” Dash yelled, leaning onto the injured mare’s bed.

Twilight’s eyes were wide with concern. “Rainbow I-”

“Just shut your bucking mouth Twilight! Thanks to you, Fluttershy’s in a coma, and to make things better, because of whatever you did to her, she’s pretty much a magical time bomb!” Rainbow Dash was seething with rage, leaving Twilight quivering in her bed.

“R-Rainbow, i-it was an accident!” Twilight’s voice shook as her eyes filled with tears. “I-I didn’t mean for this to happen!” Twilight wiped her eyes with a hoof as a question popped into her brain. Magic time bomb? Is the transmutation still flowing inside Fluttershy?

“I know what you did Twilight! You tried a new kind of magic on her right? Your first test subject just had to be Fluttershy, huh!” Rainbow Dash prodded Twilight in the chest earning a pain filled gasp. “If Fluttershy doesn’t make it, I’ll never forgive you Twilight! Why did it have to be her, anyway, she was just-”

“RAINBOW DASH!” The owner of the name turned just in time to be snout to snout with Applejack. “What in the name of Celestia are you doin’! Can’t you see that Twilight needs her rest?”

Rainbow Dash pushed forward. “No! Not until I get answers! I MUST figure out how to fix this.” Rainbow pushed forward even more until she was leaning over Applejack.”Please, don’t get in my way AJ, you can’t stop me.”

Twilight propped herself up into a sitting position. “Rainbow, for all it’s worth, I really am sorry. I’ll do anything to make it up to you.”

Dash’s eyes widened, anger surging through her body. “You think you can make it up to me? What about poor Fluttershy who’s stuck in that coma thanks to your magic act. Nice job by the way.”

Twilight’s eyes filled with tears. She put Fluttershy in a condition where they needed to put her into a coma for her to survive. This was all her fault.

“Rainbow Dash!” Rarity stepped forward, refusing to listen to the hurtful words being said by Rainbow Dash any longer. “What happened last night was an accident. You shouldn’t blame Twilight on something that was beyond her control.”

“If it weren't for her F-Fluttershy wouldn’t be like this! S-she would still be able to walk! S-” Rainbow Dash collapsed into tears, barely able to speak. “She would still be smiling right now . . .”

Rarity knelt next to Rainbow Dash and wiped her tears off of her face. “Darling, do you think she would be smiling seeing you like this right now?” Rainbow Dash picked herself up and shook her head slowly. “Exactly, now tell us what’s wrong Rainbow.”

Rainbow Dash took a few shaky breaths before she spoke. “I-I’m in love with Fluttershy.”

“Now, don’t you feel better, darling?” Asked Rarity

“I guess so . . .” Dash turned towards Twilight “I’m sorry about that Twi’, it’s just that . . . I don’t want to lose her.”

Twilight leaned over and wrapped her hooves around Rainbow Dash. “No one does, Rainbow, but . . . even if the energy inside her is unstable, I don’t think it will hurt her.”

Twilight tried to get up, just realizing that squeezing feeling she’s been having has been Spike. She decided to settle back down and pet her number one assistant. “I’m so sorry Spike, you must have been so worried.” Spike nodded slightly and continued to snuggle Twilight.

“How’s Fluttershy’s condition right now?”

Applejack took a stepped closer to Twilight’s bed and told her about Fluttershy’s condition. “Well, I guess that makes since . . .” Twilight rubbed her muzzle with her hoof, deep in thought. “It wouldn’t surprise me that she would do that . . .” Twilight looked up at her friends. “The transmutation I attempted was structured on amplification, but I failed to account for magic that everypony has within their cutie marks, and for her Pegasus magic.” She turned her head towards Rainbow Dash. “I think I may be able to solve her coma problem though.”


Rainbow Dash’s smile faded. “You’re planning to do it to her again aren’t you? What if it hurts her even more?”

Twilight nodded. “I understand your worry Rainbow, but listen. This is a sub-form of alchemy, it’s called alkahestry. It’s used for healing. All I need are five of these,” Twilight began to carefully draw an object, complete with its dimensions. “and then we can begin. The blacksmith should be able to help you.”

Rainbow Dash took the folded up paper and tucked it under her wing. Before anyone could say anything else, she was gone. Applejack smiled and turned back towards Twilight. “Twi’, could you tell us what happened? It has everypony riled up and all. When Pinkie found out, she’s been up in her room ever since.”

Twilight sighed. I didn’t mean for any of this to happen! All I wanted was to help Fluttershy so she could go flying with Rainbow. “Princess Celestia didn’t want me to learn transmutation, so I asked Princess Luna. She told me about the history of alchemy and also helped me study it. When I finally got it down, Princess Luna trapped me in a nightmare, to relive the events of the Ancients.

“When I awoke, I realized that I had a close mastery of alchemy, and could control it subconsciously. I thought that I could help Fluttershy with her problem with Rainbow, but I didn’t calculate her magic, and I lost control. Princess Luna said that there were two brothers, one lost his leg, the other lost his entire body. Desperate to help, the brother sacrificed his arm, to transmute his brothers soul to a suit of armor.

“Princess Luna also said that because they went through the gate, they gained hidden knowledge about alchemy, but because we have magic, what we learn would be different.” Twilight looked up to see Applejack nodding off.

“You should go home Applejack,” Applejack began to protest, but Twilight cut her off. “ I’ll be fine, don’t worry, you should go home and get some rest.” Applejack placed Spike onto her back and trotted into the hallway, closing the door behind her.