• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 1,569 Views, 54 Comments

Twilight's Transmutation - Epicburst



Upon Twilight's request to expand her knowledge with magic, she requests that Princess Luna teaches her the ancient art of alchemy.

  • ...
27
 54
 1,569

Chapter 13

Twilight's Transmutation
Chapter 13

"A . . . Homunculus?" Spike looked down at Twilight for an answer.

"They are ancient beings Spike . . . and it's my fault one got to Fluttershy . . ." Twilight hung her head, taking the responsibility for the situation. "Wait," Twilight said suddenly, perplexed. "you said the first Homunculus, is that the child?"

Princess Luna shook her head. "By calling him a child, you only flatter him. He only took the form of a child so he could get close to the weak. Pride himself is hundreds of years old, constructed by a man we called Father." Luna ignored the shocked gasp that Spike made. "The Brothers were eventually able to defeat him . . . but that was with the help with a Philosophers Stone."

"So then why don't we just go hunting for one, and use it to save Fluttershy?" Spike asked a second before Twilight.

"You can't hunt for a Philosopher's Stone, you create one." Raising a hoof to stop their next question, Princess Luna elaborated. "In order to make a Stone, you need thousands of souls; that is a price I'm no longer willing to pay."

Twilight cleared her mind as best she could. "Spike, can you get the others please? They need to know this."


Spike managed to grab Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack in the middle of the night and brought them to the library without to many sideways glances, objections, or questions.

"What do ya mean she's possessed?" Applejack asked.

"'Shy is being controlled by a Hu-thingy, and now we have to stop her!" Spike said, dragging Applejack to Twilight's room by her tail.

As Princess Luna caught her friends up, Twilight studied their reactions: Pinkie Pie stopped bouncing, Rarity's expression was grim, and Applejack looked like she was on the verge of tears.

"Ah don't understand, what's wrong with her?"

"She is possessed by Pride, the first Homunculus. He has obviously gotten stronger since our last encounter . . . we can't waist any time."

"What do you want us to do?" Twilight asked, getting out of her hospital bed.

"The easiest thing to do is to kill Fluttershy, that would save a countless number of lives. Your other option is to find Pride's first vessel, and encase it in pure darkness. if he has one anymore."

"No!" Pinkie Pie yelled. "We can't kill her! She's our friend?"

Princess Luna sighed. Ponies were definitely easier to command a thousand years ago. "If you don't destroy Pride's vessel, he's going to make Fluttershy destroy you. This is the price you pay for forbidden knowledge Twilight Sparkle, it's time for you to pay the price." Princess Luna turned and walked out the door.

"Twilight," She steeled herself for the question Spike was about to ask, one that nopony wanted to answer. "Are we going to kill Fluttershy?"

Twilight shook her head. "Not unless we have any other option . . ."


Just do what I tell you, and this should be over by dinner.

Fluttershy nodded to the voice inside her head.

A wave of pain washed over Fluttershy, and she fell onto the floor. What first started as small spasms turned into full convulsions. Fluttershy tried everything in her power to escape the pain, but to no avail. Just as she was wondering how to stop this pain, a guard walked passed her cell.

"Miss?" He turned towards Fluttershy's cage. Seeing her writhing in agony, he gasped and opened her cell to perform a healing spell.

Taking the opportunity, Pride launched Fluttershy at the guard. The guard gasped and jumped back, trying to dodge Fluttershy's teeth. Unfortunately, the guard was to slow, and Fluttershy clamped her teeth around his jugular and swiftly dispatched the enemy.

Realizing what she's done, Fluttershy flew off the guard and tried to spit out the blood. w-what did you make me do?

I made you a victor, Fluttershy. In combat, you must do everything you can to win. Now open his mouth.

Fluttershy wobbled on her knew legs. The guard who owned them felt heavy and lopsided,the armor even more so. As she climbed the stairs in her disguise, Fluttershy saw Princess Celestia coming to greet her.

Just stay calm and let me do the talking.

"Swiftwing, nice to see you, I hope the day wasn't to slow for you?" Princess Celestia asked.

Fluttershy felt the stallion nod. "Not too bad, in fact, I almost feel like today will be pretty interesting."

Celestia smiled and continued on her course. "Walk with me to my chambers?"

Fluttershy nodded and walked side by side with the Princess.

As Princess Celestia walked, she couldn't help to feel a foreign presence. Looking around, she realized the castle was getting darker. Celestia sighed, Luna must be in a hurry to raise the moon again. "Can you light a torch for me Swiftwing?"

"What's wrong Princess, are you afraid of the dark?" Pride chose this time to shed the corps Fluttershy was wearing. Each part aging, rotting, and then falling off the yellow Pegasus.

Princess Celestia gasped, staring at what remained of Swiftwing. Lighting her horn in defense, she saw hundreds of eyes encasing the room.

"A shadow demon!" Princess Celestia yelled, lighting her horn to it's maximum potential.

"Goodbye Princess." Fluttershy smirked at the defiant mare. Although most of the tendrils have been burned off by the bright light, she used the other fifteen of them to aim directly at her heart.

Dodging out of the way, Princess Celestia dodged the brunt of the attack. The tendrils raked across the left side of her body, tore her wing to shreds, and finally embedded themselves in her hip.

Groaning in agony, she ignited her horn for one last spell. She had to get away, anywhere but Canterlot. Thinking quickly, she closed her eyes and teleported.


Rainbow Dash slowly woke as she felt something prod her body. Groaning, Rainbow Dash tried to open her eyes. Opening them in small increments, her eyes slowly got adjusted to the lights of the room. Turning towards the source of the prodding, Rainbow Dash saw her pet tortoise Tank bumping into her hip.

Smiling, she turned him around and watched as he flew around the room. Rainbow quickly noticed this wasn't her cloud house and quickly began to panic as she remembered the events of four days ago.

She realized what Fluttershy was going to do, and that one of her friends was the intended target. Without thinking, she put herself in Fluttershy's way. Something warm and gooey slid down her side, that was the last thing she remembered before she collapsed.

The door cracked open, snapping Rainbow Dash out of her thoughts. Nurse Redheart entered the room with a clear bag of liquid in her mouth. Seeing Rainbow Dash staring back at her, she set the bag down and trotted over to her.

"Hello Rainbow, as you know I am Nurse Redheart. Do you have any questions?"

Rainbow Dash nodded slowly, her head still aching. "How . . . did I get here?"

"Spike brought you in along with Twilight Sparkle."

Hearing her friends name, Rainbow Dash's panic intensified. "Twilight! Where is she?! Is she okay?!"

Nurse Redheart took a step back. "Calm down, your friend is alright, she left the hospital last night. We will send for them immediately."

Nodding, Rainbow Dash watched Nurse Redheart replace her IV and trot out of the room.

Turning towards Tank, who was currently bumping into her bed, she began to wonder how he got here.

"Hey buddy," Rainbow Dash said as she corrected his course. "who brought you in here?"

Slowly, Tank extended his head towards the broken window.

Sighing, Rainbow Dash began to think of a way to pay for the damages.


The four ponies and dragon sat glumly in Twilight's room. All thinking of a plan that inevitably ended the same way. Twilight studied her friends. Rarity was on the verge of tears, Applejack pulled her hat off and stared at the floor glumly, Pinkie Pie's hair was flat and she was rocking back and forth slowly, and Spike was running petting Rarity, trying to comfort her.

"Twi', there has to be another way." Applejack said, looking her in the eye. "Can't we just figure out how to wrap her in darkness or somethin'?"

Twilight sighed, no matter how much she wanted a different solution, the death of her friend would be the easiest way. "Sure . . . let's try to find a way to find this homunculus and wrap it in darkness." As she said these words, she was skeptical that this plan would even work, but looking up again, she saw that her friends regained some degree of hope.

As they all composed themselves, they heard a loud thud.

"What was that?" Rarity asked, jumping to her hooves.

The party ran downstairs into the library, only to see Princess Luna standing over somepony. As they approached, Princess Luna stepped aside to allow them a better look. Twilight gasped as she stared at her unconscious mentor. Princess Celestia's coat was dark red, partially hiding the hideous gash on her left side. Her wing was tattered, and blood already started to pool on the floor.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight yelled, rushing forward.

Thinking quickly, Twilight grabbed bandages with her magic, and proceeded to wrap up her mentor. "Spike, can you bring something for her to lay on?" Nodding, Spike rushed upstairs.

Within moments, Twilight had dressed her wound, cleaned the blood of the floor, and laid Princess Celestia on the spare bed that Spike brought.

Princess Luna watched uncomfortably as her sister slept, the others finding something to keep themselves busy. Sighing, Princess Luna decided to figure out what happened. Closing her eyes, she focused her magic on Princess Celestia's mind, and soon was whisked away into her dream.


Princess Celestia was walking through the castle dungeons. The shadows danced in the candle light, making Celestia strain with caution. She walked with determination, yet her face was filled with worry. Finally, she came to her destination and stood by the cell.

"Fluttershy, are you alright?"

Inside, a little yellow ball in the corner twitched and unraveled, revealing a terrified little Pegasus with no legs.

"P-Princess Celestia!" Fluttershy cried out in relief, flying weakly to the bars of the cell.

"What happened Fluttershy? Why are you here?"

Fluttershy shuddered, the memory of what happened was terrible enough.

"W-well . . . It was Princess Luna . . ."

Princess Celestia strained to here the rest of her words, but Fluttershy spoke softer and softer until her lips were moving, but nothing came out.

"May you repeat that?"

Fluttershy nodded and quickly started over. I- I was walking over to the library and I saw Princess Luna and Twilight talking . . . Princess Luna transformed into a monster!"

Princess Celestia tilted her head and smiled gently. "What do you mean by that my little pony?

Fluttershy looked up desperately. "I heard her saying that she would teach Twilight something that would help make her stronger. Something even stronger then you . . ." Fluttershy gave out an exhausted sigh. "Please be careful!"

Did Princess Luna have something to do with the monster that attacked her? Suddenly, everything clicked. Princess Luna was teaching Twilight a Forbidden Art, and with that power, Luna would overthrow her once and for all.


Princess Luna sprang back, startling everypony inside the library.

"Luna, what's wrong?" Twilight asked, giving her a comforting hoof.

Luna stared at her unconscious sister with trepidation. "I fear that Pride is getting stronger. He has warped Celestia's mind and is making her believe that I was the one who attacked her." She turned towards Twilight, silently telling her that her decision was now final. "She knows that I have been teaching you Twilight Sparkle, and is now convinced that I plot against her to rule Equestria. Enough is enough, we need to end this before anypony else gets hurt. I need you to find Fluttershy and kill her."

A collective gasp filled the room that died just as quickly as it began, as Princess Luna stared down at the ponies before her. "You must listen here my little ponies," Princess Luna growled "what we are facing is beyond friendship, what we are facing is a menace that has been thrust upon us due to somepony's mistake, and now we need to fix it. The only thing that matters now is what we have to lose, and I would much rather loose one pony than thousands trying to recreate a Philosophers Stone."

Hours of silence followed. Twilight was at her workstation, trying to figure out a memory spell, receiving all the books she needed from Spike. Rainbow Dash was watching over Princess Celestia, Pinkie Pie was sitting against the wall drawing circles in the floor, and Applejack and Rarity went back home, busy at work. Nopony inside the library spoke, as they were under the watchful eye of Princess Luna, who's decision of wanting to slay their best friend was final. The silence wasn't broken until they heard a soft moan, it pierced the air like a knife, causing everypony to stop in their tracks. Before they could pass it off as nothing, they heard it again, and saw Princess Celestia regaining consciousness.

"Princess Celestia!" Rainbow Dash whispered softly, trotting closer towards her.

As Princess Celestia became fully conscious, she tried to lift her head. Immediately, she felt a stab of pain in her side. Gasping in discomfort, Princess Celestia laid her head on Spike's pillow.

"T-Twilight" Celestia groaned softly, summoning her student almost instantly.

Celestia watched her student trot swiftly to her bedside. Noticing her look of concern, Princess Celestia sighed and whispered into her ear.

"You do not know how disappointed I am in you Twilight Sparkle," She groaned as coughs wracked her body, making her bandages ooze with fresh blood. "If you want to see power beyond your imagination, you have seen nothing yet."

The lingering silence that followed was shattered as three sharp knocks were heard on the front door. Spike swiftly uprooted himself from Twilight's desk and rushed for the door. Opening the door, he saw Nurse Redheart standing impatiently at the door.

"Oh, sorry to bother you Spike, but your friend Rainbow Dash has just woken up from the hospital, she has requested to see you girls at once."

Twilight's blank stare broke off of Princess Celestia and moved slowly over to Nurse Redheart.

"Let's go girls . . ." Twilight said, swiftly leaving her library.


Fluttershy opened the door to her cottage. Surprised that her animal friends still resided there. It's been a grueling three days since the attack on Canterlot, and an even worse journey home. Because she was now a fugitive, she had to lay low and find her own way home, and for some reason, the voice in her head never reappeared for guidance. Instead, during her journey home, her body seized with aches and pains. Other days, like today, her entire body felt the same pain, but it ebbed and pulsed around her body.

Fluttershy spent the next five hours feeding and listening to her animal friends, but she could never stop thinking about her problems. The last thing I need to do is to find the Blacksmith . . . Fluttershy thought while talking to the Beavers. Fluttershy sighed as she moved around the house feeding and listening to the animals problems. Why doesn't anypony listen to my problems?

After caring for the animal's needs, she sighed and looked around her cottage. She remembered the times before Twilight ruined everything. The times when she was happy, and the time when she had hooves. Fluttershy sighed softly as she flew up to her bedroom. Deciding what she needed was a good night's sleep, she tried to go to bed. After hours of watching the ceiling, she heard a soft voice call her name.

"Fluttershy? Is that you?" Fluttershy's mind raced as she tried to identify the voice of one of her many enemies. Instead, the door to her room opened, and she saw a white bunny staring up at her. "Fluttershy!" Angel cheered as he hopped on the bed and squeezed himself into the covers.

Fluttershy smiled, feeling so much safer with Angel by her side. Exhausted, Fluttershy closed her eyes and fell asleep instantly.

The next morning, Fluttershy's pain was worse. The pain rocketed through her body in waves, and no matter how much she wanted to, Fluttershy couldn't get help. Today was the day she had to find the blacksmith.

Traveling along the Ponyville underground that Fluttershy never realized existed, the bunny/pony duo searched high and low. Eventually, Fluttershy just broadened the search to anypony with a furnace. After hours of searching, she found what looked to be a smithy. The stallion looked tough and calloused, and tried to glare her down as she approached. Sadly for him, she didn't care anymore.

"Are you the blacksmith?" She asked, sighing with relief.

The stallion stared at her, unblinking. "What's it to you?"

Fluttershy hovered in front of the stallion. The only thing scarier then the big, black stallion was his voice. He was a full head taller then Big Macintosh, and looked twice as strong. His voice was a deep, thundering bass.

"I'm looking for somepony who could make a special item for me." Fluttershy felt Angel's encouraging pats on the head driving her forward.

"Look lady, if you want those items, check with some of Rarity's friends. Now, why don't you go back home to wherever you and your slut friends live."

Fluttershy blushed slightly and stared at him. Deciding her next course of action, she chose to just leave him with no option. She was handed two bags of bits by Angel, and she tossed them to the burly stallion. Grabbing the blueprint that she had, she tossed that at him as well.

"I want you to make four of those, one for each hoof, in five hours. Otherwise, you can just take a bath in that furnace of yours."

The stallion's eyes flared with anger, but the big bags of bits made him stop in his tracks. Grabbing the bags, and the blueprint, he nodded to Fluttershy and walked inside.

Taking flight, Fluttershy realized that she was exhausted. Each flap of her wing sent hundreds of aches and pains through her body. Moaning softly, she tried to find the power that the Voice gave her, the fearless attitude that she had summoned just a moment before, but nothing was there. A sharp pain in her stomach made her cry out in agony, and she chose to just give up.

Locking her wings to her sides, she unceremoniously fell the few feet that she desperately tried to gain. Angel cried out, jumping off of his caretaker's back, and stared as she lay in the back of the ally, unconscious. Angel ran over to Fluttershy, desperately trying to wake her, but to no avail. Deciding that he should stay with her, he wiggled inside the fold of her wing for warmth. Looking back at her face, Angel saw two cold eyes glaring back at him. Angel tumbled off of Fluttershy's back and shuttered as she began to spoke in a young colt's voice.

"It's only a matter of time until I am free of this vessel, and when I escape, I will need to personally thank the one who freed me."

Author's Note:

Hi everypony! I entered this story in a novel writing challenge, so I will get more time to work on it. If anypony wants to join, go to http://ywp.nanowrimo.org!

Thank you for being so patient with me, and I would love to get everypony's suggestion on how to make this story better!