• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 1,569 Views, 54 Comments

Twilight's Transmutation - Epicburst



Upon Twilight's request to expand her knowledge with magic, she requests that Princess Luna teaches her the ancient art of alchemy.

  • ...
27
 54
 1,569

Chapter 9

Twilight's Transmutation
Chapter 9
Warning: This chapter contains mild blood

The past three weeks were hard on Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy was still in the hospital getting therapy, and everypony else was giving her the worst feeling in the world, pity. Pity meant somepony was so unawesome that everypony felt sorry for them. Why would somepony feel sorry for her? She was the most awesome pony in all of Equestria! The pony they should feel sorry for is Fluttershy.

Sadly, that's not how evrypony thought of the situation. Even her friends began giving Dash those same looks. With that, Dash was finished. She found herself spending most of her time with Fluttershy in the hospital. It was now her turn to watch Fluttershy fly, and for her to be the best cheering section she could be.

It was a slow three weeks, but the doctors felt that her wings were now capable to support her, "not for long of course, but they should do the job." That's how Nurse Redheart put it.

"The doctors said you would be able to come home tomorrow! Isn't that great!" Rainbow Dash tried to build Fluttershy's enthusiasm, but she looked exhausted. It wasn't that tough was it? she just flew in an air current for a bit! Sighing, Rainbow Dash got off of her chair and walked over to Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash grabbed a light blanket and began wrapping Fluttershy in it.

Fluttershy giggled softly as Rainbow Dash finished wrapping her. "Thank you Dashie," Fluttershy looked away from her friend's eyes. "I just wish I could repay you somehow . . ."

Rainbow Dash smiled. Tilting her friend's head toward her, Rainbow kissed her softly. "You can repay me by getting better." Fluttershy nodded shyly and let out a small yawn.

"You should rest now Fluttershy, I'll be back tomorrow to come and get you. First thing in the morning, I Pinkie Pie Promise." Fluttershy giggled as Rainbow kissed her forehead and walked out of the room.


Princess Luna was in her personal chambers fast asleep, just like every afternoon. Everypony knew not to wake the slumbering princess, as her rightful place was in the night, but today was an exception. The young stallion, a member of Luna's personal guard, knocked on her door apprehensively.

Princess Luna, too tired to get up, launched a magic wave towards the door, forcing it open. The young stallion entered, really wishing he didn't have to disturb Luna at such a bad time.

"P-princess Luna, there has been word from Ponyville! Apparently a young pegasus has been injured from a spell of ancient origins."

Princess Luna shot out of bed, eyes wide and slightly bloodshot. "Prepare my chariot, I need to speak with somepony in Ponyville." The guard nodded and ran out of the room. Meanwhile, Princess Luna was trying to get herself composed.

"Is Twilight Sparkle really that naive to ignore a direct warning from us?" She said to herself. "We will get to the bottom of this, and we will make sure that Twilight knows the full consequences of her actions." Luna sighed and walked outside to her chariot.


Twilight and Spike had a big day planed. Today was the one day where reshelving was the least of her worries. Cheerilee was bringing her class in today for a lesson about unicorns. Spike and her have been preparing all morning for their arrival. Spike was busy sorting out books that she would use as references, and Twilight was busy dusting and sweeping the floor.

Spike just finished sorting her reference books when they were interrupted by a knock on the door. Twilight was still busy sweeping, so she looked towards Spike. "Can you get that please?" Spike, placing the last book on the tower that he built, walked to the door.

As soon as Spike opened the door, a purple shadow barged in. As it made it to the middle of the room, it took the form of Princess Luna. Twilight took a step back, releasing the feather duster and broom from her magical grip. Twilight bowed apprehensively towards the princess. "I-it's an honor Princess Luna." Princess Luna disregarded the gesture and shook her head.

"What were you thinking Twilight Sparkle? Did we not tell you about the dangers? Did we not inform you of the possible repercussions?" Twilight sat on the floor, trying to avoid the princess's gaze.

"I-I didn't mean for any of it to happen . . ."

"Of course you didn't mean for any of it to happen. Nopony does." Princess Luna walked over to Twilight, horn glowing softly. "You must understand what happened Twilight Sparkle. You did not just transmute Fluttershy's body, you also transmuted her cutie mark."

Twilight stared up at Princess Luna, trying to comprehend what she meant. "W-what do you mean? How could I change her cutie mark?"

Princess Luna sighed softly. "Transmutation is a strong and dangerous thing Twilight, especially when you attempt a feeble pony transmutation." Twilight looked down at her hooves, unable to face the Princess's gaze any longer. "I do not quite understand the effects of the transmutation, but this is going to be her greatest challenge yet. She may become lost, unable to realize what she is, and when that happens, the Elements of Harmony will fail, and Equestria will be left without its first line of defense."

Twilight looked up at Princess Luna. "What can we do?"

Princess Luna shook her head. "We cannot do anything, this is a journey Fluttershy must take." Looking down at Twilight, she smiled. "Do not worry my little pony, she is not alone, her special somepony will be accompanying her on this challenging road."

Twilight looked up at Princess Luna, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy just confessed to each other a couple of hours ago, could she really handle a burden that big so soon? This will certainly put the Element of Loyalty to the test.

Twilight nodded towards the Princess as she took her leave. Realizing how exhausting the day was, Twilight trudged slowly up the stairs, barely making it to her bed before she fell asleep.


Fluttershy was asleep in her bed. After the first few moments after Rainbow Dash left, she was able to take a short nap, but afterwords, her mind went into overdrive. She was asleep a half hour ago, and that half hour ago became two hours ago. Fluttershy sighed, grateful that the blanket Rainbow Dash wrapped her in was thin. What was she supposed to do? She couldn't move, because Rainbow made sure that she was wrapped nice and snugly, and her wings were trapped underneath her.

Fluttershy's ears pricked again. For the fifth time that night, she could have sworn that she heard voices. Fluttershy squeaked and wriggled herself deeper in her blanket. Memories of flight school flooded through her mind, the bullies, the embarrassment, but most importantly, Rainbow Dash.

Memories of Rainbow Dash just served to make Fluttershy even more uncomfortable. Grunting softly, Fluttershy rolled herself onto her stomach. This only made herself slightly tangled with her IV, and for her breathing to be shortened. She rolled herself back over and sighed heavily. She couldn't bother the nurses just because she was uncomfortable could she? W-well . . . I guess it is their job . . . She reached over and pulled on a rope with her mouth. She eeped as she heard a ringing in the distance.

Fluttershy's resolved crumbled as she heard the soft hoofsteps approaching her room. The door opened slowly and a light blue mare walked in.

"Yes Fluttershy?" The mare said as her eyes began adjusting to the dim light of her lantern. Seeing Fluttershy wrapped up in her blanket, she understood immediately. The nurse trotted over and disconnected Fluttershy's IV, she then unwrapped Fluttershy's blanket, just settling to put it over her. After reconnecting her IV, the nurse smiled and trotted out of the room.

Fluttershy sighed, deciding to lose herself in thought. What's going to happen to me now? I can't possibly ask Rainbow for help . . . I would just be to much of a burden. Fluttershy's mind began to flood with worst-case scenarios. Her friends leaving her, them deciding that enough was enough, and them being unwilling to drag her along any longer, them just putting her out of her misery and tossing her into the Everfree Forest.

Fluttershy's visions crumbled as she heard a knock on the door. Looking up, Fluttershy realized that it was morning. Remembering that there was somepony at the door, she eeped and whispered for them to come in.

The nurse entered, carrying a tray of oats, sliced apples, and juice. "You have a visitor Fluttershy. I'll just set your breakfast here." The nurse put her breakfast on a small table adjacent from the bed.

As the nurse left, Rainbow Dash entered, trying to be as quite as possible. "Hey Flutters', how are you feeling?" Dash frowned slightly as she looked down at her marefriend. Fluttershy looked exhausted and overall uncomfortable. Putting on her brave face, Fluttershy looked up and smiled weakly. Dash sighed. "Don't worry about it 'Shy, they said that they would release you today, so now I can take you back to your house." Dash smiled as she saw Fluttershy's face light up.


Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash flew slowly towards the little cottage at the end of town. Painfully slowly. Dash's wings began fidgeting, eager for her to put them through their paces. Dash turned towards Fluttershy, surprised that she began to fly even slower, hiding behind her mane as much she could from all the gawks, double takes, stares, and glances that she was receiving, using all of her strength to keep her wings from locking up. Rainbow stopped flapping her wings, landing on the dirt path with a soft thud, and walked back towards Fluttershy.

"Just ignore them 'Shy, we're almost home." Fluttershy nodded and flapped her wings a bit harder, making Rainbow have to trot lightly to keep up with her.

As Fluttershy's house emerged from the distance, Fluttershy let out a chocked sob, her wings locked to her sides, causing her to land hard on her stomach and roll onto her side.

"Fluttershy!"


Fluttershy never expected the gauntlet of staring eyes to follow her out of the hospital. She tried her best to be brave. Rainbow Dash came all this way to walk her home, and she couldn't let her down. Hundreds of eyes just stared at her, mocking her, teasing her, laughing at her. Eventually her resolve crumbled and she decided to seek all the sanctuary that her mane would provide.

The eyes began their whispers, laughing at her, telling jokes about the legless pegasus that can hardly fly. The whispers began growing louder, even after she made it through the gauntlet. The whispers grew into words that she could hardly make out. The hundreds of voices grew into yells, angry voices scolding her. Teasing her.

Fluttershy couldn't take the hurtful words anymore, and fell to the ground, crying.

"Fluttershy!"

Rainbow Dash galloped over to the yellow ball, embracing her marefriend gently, checking for any damage. Rainbow nuzzled Fluttershy and began to soothe her.

"Fluttershy, what's wrong? Are you hurt?" Fluttershy shook her head in between silent sobs. The voices escalated into rude, hurtful words. Fluttershy tried to listen to the nice ones only, but the nicest ones she could find, were the voices telling her to just lay down and die. That she was a nopony, only fit to be food.

Rainbow Dash got on top of Fluttershy, wrapping her legs around her tightly, and took off towards the hospital. Halfway, Fluttershy's sobs stopped, and she began to wriggle in her grip. Taking the hint, Rainbow Dash descended and placed Fluttershy in the grass.

Fluttershy looked up at her, eyes filled with tears. Rainbow kissed her gently on the forehead and sighed softly, sitting next to her.

"If you don't want to talk about it . . ."

Fluttershy sniffled softly and took a shaky breath. "I-i'm sorry Dashie . . ." Fluttershy rolled over and laid her head on Rainbow's lap. "I-it's just . . . all of those mean things they were saying to me . . ." Rainbow drew circles on Fluttershy's belly with her hoof, her face filled with concern.

"Who was saying mean things to you 'Shy?"

Fluttershy looked up at Rainbow, perplexed. "Y-you didn't hear them?" Fluttershy looked down as Rainbow shook her head. After a few moments, Rainbow got up and rolled Fluttershy on her belly.

"Come on 'Shy, we should go talk to Twilight."


"Spike!" Twilight called from downstairs. "Can you get me Supernaturals?"

Spike raced down the stairs and grabbed the book from the appropriate shelf. "Here you go Twilight, did you find anything about Fluttershy?"

Twilight flipped through the book Spike brought her and groaned in defeat. "No Spike I didn't! I tore this library apart and not a single one can give me any answers on what's wrong with her!"

Spike saw Twilight's horn begin to spark in frustration. "Um Twilight?" Spike took a step back as Twilight turned and glared daggers at him. Spike recovered his nerves and decided to comfort Twilight more directly.

Twilight jumped slightly as she felt Spike wrap himself around her in a big hug. Twilight gasped, realizing what she just did was unfair to her dragon friend. "I'm so sorry Spike, I'm guess this search has taken a lot more out of me then I thought."

Spike continued to hold Twilight, feeling her frustration slowly melt away. After a few minutes, Twilight finally calmed down. "Thanks Spike," Twilight said, backing out of their embrace. "No wonder you're my number one assistant." Spike beamed as Twilight levitated a gem from the top of the fridge. "You deserve it."

Before Spike could grab hold of the gem, the door slammed open. Startled, Twilight's focus shifted from the gem and onto the intruder, causing the gem to fall and shatter at Spike's feet.

"Rainbow Dash!" Twilight scolded her friend as she crashed through the room. " You should know better than-"

"No time for the lectures Twi'!" Rainbow Dash yelled as she skidded to a stop in the middle of the library. "Something's wrong with Fluttershy!"

Twilight's gaze shifted from Rainbow Dash to the doorway expecting to see Fluttershy, but instead just seeing a broken door in her library.

Rainbow Dash sighed and trotted back outside. After hearing Rainbow Dash's voice, Twilight saw her friend return with a reluctant Fluttershy hovering just above the ground.

"What's wrong Fluttershy? Are you sore? What you're feeling is something called Skeleton-"

"It's nothing like that Twi'." Rainbow Dash said. "Fluttershy says that she was hearing voices."

Twilight looked at Rainbow Dash skeptically, silently asking if this was some kind of prank. Receiving a head shake in return, Twilight turned towards Owlowiscious. "Can you get me Senses: Magical Amplification please?"

Owlowiscious flew into the air, grabbing a book from one of the top shelves. Placing the book in front of Twilight, Owlowiscious tilted his head. "Who?"

"It's for Fluttershy." Twilight said, flipping through the book.

"Who?"

"You know Fluttershy, she's the yellow mare right behind you."

"Who?"

Twilight sighed and turned around towards Fluttershy, pointing at her. "Her, that's who." Looking up at Fluttershy, Twilight noticed she was trembling.

"Fluttershy what's wrong?"

Fluttershy eeped and extended her wings. Raising into the air slightly, Fluttershy blushed. "Oh . . . um . . . I was just daydreaming."


Fluttershy didn't want to bother Twilight. She could have just been hearing something, or maybe was just dreaming. Rainbow Dash shot down every excuse she made and now she was hovering slowly into the library.

"Can you get me Senses: Magical Amplification please?" Asked Twilight, as she walked over to her study table.

"Of course my dear."

"It's for Fluttershy"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"You know Fluttershy, she's the yellow mare right behind you."

"Yes, I can see the poor dear from here."

Twilight sighed and turned around towards Fluttershy, pointing at her. "Her, that's who." Looking up at Fluttershy, Twilight noticed she was trembling.

What was going on? Was that Owlowiscious she was hearing? If it is then what about the other voices? Were those voices coming from her cottage? Do her animal friends not like her?

Fluttershy's mind began to race at the idea of the friends that she had for years really hated her. That they thought terrible things about her, and just wanted her to die.

Violent images began racing through her mind. Her returning home and being attacked by her animal friends. Claws, beaks, teeth, and paws all clawing at her flesh. The animals cheering as she would slowly ooze onto the cottage floor, her vision fading slowly. Raising her head slightly to try to see a friendly face, she saw none other then Angel Bunny, his fir and mouth matted with her blood. With a huge smile on his face, he hopped into the kitchen and preheated the oven.

"Fluttershy what's wrong?"

Fluttershy's dream shattered as she was jarred into reality. Looking up, she saw Rainbow and Twilight looking at her closely. Trying to remove the images from her head, her wings unlocked themselves and she was able to take to the air.

"Oh . . . um . . . I was just daydreaming."

Rainbow Dash walked closer to Fluttershy, looking down at her slightly right into her eyes. Fluttershy's wings began to loose rhythm, and she laid on the floor under Rainbow Dash's gaze.

"What's wrong Fluttershy." Dash said slowly, looking deep into her eyes for the answer.

Eventually, Dash got her answer. Focusing on her eyes for five minutes, she her right eye twitch to the right. Turning around, she saw that Fluttershy's eye twitched towards Owlowiscious.

Twilight stared in awe as Rainbow Dash walked back over to her.

"I think she's afraid of the owl." Rainbow informed Twilight, looking back at Fluttershy with concern.

"Now why would you be afraid of me Yellow One?"

"You featherbrain! She's afraid of you!" Rainbow felt anger surge through her body, tired of playing these games with Twilight's pet.

"T-that's not what he said . . ." Twilight and Rainbow turned back towards Fluttershy.

"What do you mean Fluttershy?" Twilight asked.

"H-he's wondering why I would be afraid of him." Fluttershy hid behind her mane at the concerned looks she earned from her friends.

"Did you by chance hear the voices by the Everfree? Don't be afraid Yellow One, you should never listen to those brutes, your friends love you." Owlowiscious hopped towards Fluttershy.

"What did he say Fluttershy?" Twilight asked, grabbing a quill and a scroll.

"He says that I shouldn't listen to those bullies in the Everfree Forest. That my friends would never want to do those things to me."

Twilight looked towards Rainbow Dash. "I think I know what the transmutation did to Fluttershy."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the super late chapter everypony. I'll do my best to make the next chapter sooner!