• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,268 Views, 46 Comments

Most Wonderful of Nights - Verge77



Nightmare Moon defeted Celestia before she had the chance to send her to the moon.

  • ...
6
 46
 1,268

Rise of a Villain

Tonight was the night that would normally be the eve of summer sun celebration, but because the event hadn't happened in over 1000 years, no pony knew enough about it to celebrate it... well apart from the folks who believe the old mare's tales. Those mare tales also mentioned something else...
'On the 100th day of the 1000th year on the eve of the summer sun celebration a great power in the stars of the night will aid in the escape of the most powerful force ever to be seen in Equestria from its prison inside of the great glowing orb known as the sun'
It was a warning that princess Night was aware of... though she didn't mention it to Chrysalis. Instead she went alone to the old temple of the sun and moon princesses and sat waiting for the return of her dearly missed sister.

"Night!" A familiar raspy voice yelled from behind her.

"Chrysalis?" Night turned to see the Changeling Queen walking towards her with two of her personal guards

"What are you doing? You disappeared. It took hours for my Changelings to find you. Why did you run off?" Chrysalis seemed genuinely worried and confused. This also confused Night as she never thought her new counterpart cared as much as she appeared to now... it was... new to her and she could only stare back at the Changeling Queen as she took her place beside her.

It was a while before Night managed to answer her. "I... She..." Night trailed off looking down before coming up with a sincere smile "She's coming back... my sister... its time for her to come home to me" Once again she lay down on the ground.

Chrysalis splayed her ears back at that. "You know she hated you. What happens now that you banished her to the sun for 1000 years?" Night scowled up at the large Changeling.

"You know nothing of how my sister will return yet you assume her to be aggressive?!" Night stood angrily and slammed a hoof onto the ground. The ground under her hoof cracked. Chrysalis stood and looked straight into her eyes angrily. She opened her mouth to respond but was cut off by a loud crashing sound. It was almost like and explosion. All of a sudden bright blinding light appeared in the sky.
Chrysalis and her guards winced and looked away, shielding their eyes from the light. Night just stood their, watching the light as it feel towards the thrown room she and Chrysalis were standing in.

The light crashed at speed into the centre of the room with a firry shock sending the two Changeling guards into the wall wounding them rather badly.

Out of the fire stepped a white Alicorn with a mane of fire and glowing gold armour. "Nightmare Moon. I have returned to Equestria to retake my rightful place as ruler" A loud voice shattered the silence. Night recognised this as the traditional royal Canterlot voice.

"Celest..." Night was cut off rather harshly.

"I am Sunstroke! Your precious sister Celestia is long gone. She gave up on ever being herself and consumed by her rage for you her mind grew wiry and a great power started taking over her mind... Me. I am not going to stand by and let this night trump another day. Lower the moon or die" The tall white Alicorn smashed a chunk out of the stony surface of the ground gritting her teeth in anger and preparing a light magic bolt for an attack.

"No she will not lower the moon! She would be hindering her kingdom if she did that" Chrysalis butted in unexpectedly.

"Oh? And what do you know of this squabble, insect?" Sunstroke answered with a dark chuckle.

"Oh I know plenty of you Celestia but I also know my kingdom. If you raise the sun the ponies will be blinded by its light and will not be able to work or sustain themselves" Chrysalis carefully picked each word while trying not to show a hint of weakness.

The white mares pink mane turned to fire and her gaze grew angry. "LIES, ALL LIES!" she shouted in the royal Canterlot voice. "SINCE YOU WILL NOT LOWER THE MOON BEHOLD THE CELESTIAL POWER I WEILD!" A very fast bolt of pure yellow magic struck Night in the chest knocking her to the ground. She wasn't breathing and wasn't responsive to Chrysalis's pleas.

"How dare you touch her!" A bolt of green magic struck Sunstroke in the chest with no effect.

"I will make you all suffer for your insolence!" Sunstroke flew out of the temple and disappeared into the night.

"Night, Night! Wake up.... Wake up!" Chrysalis ran over to Night and knelt down to her trying to figure out what she could do...