• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,268 Views, 46 Comments

Most Wonderful of Nights - Verge77



Nightmare Moon defeted Celestia before she had the chance to send her to the moon.

  • ...
6
 46
 1,268

Two Rulers

It was the night before the biggest event in Equestrian History. The one thousand year anniversary of the rising of the moon and the banishment of Celestia. This was also treated as the anniversary of the meeting of Princess Night and Queen Chrysalis even though it is common knowledge that the meeting happened weeks later. This event was celebrated throughout Equestria but nowhere more than the in Canterlot, for tonight was the night of the Nightmare Ball. An event replacing the Grand Galloping Gala. This date was a grim one for Princess Night.

"Night? What's wrong dear?" Chrysalis asked waking into Night's bedchambers.

"Tonight... Tonight one thousand years ago I banished my sister..." She trailed off. "I think I regret what I did. I only wanted ponies to appreciate me like they did my sister and her precious sun" An angry hoof struck the window sill.

"I've herd this before dear. You wanted only for ponies to bask in your moon light but your sister refused you. You became bitter and resentful towards her and you snapped. You became Nightmare Moon and threatened her and refused to lower your moon. She became angry and tried to banish you to your moon but you resisted and banished her to her sun" Chrysalis said every word with confidence and trust in her knowledge of her friend.

"Then I failed to rule the country and nearly killed everypony here from shire ignorance! If you hadn't come along when you did this place may have been under 'new management'. You helped me pass laws, you helped me keep my people safe but you will never make up for the sister that I lost. Not now not ever" Night was gritting her teeth tears trailing down her from her eyes. "I'm a monster for what I did and nothing will change that" She hung her head in shame pushing away Chrysalis's hoof when she motioned to hug her.

"You did what you thought was right at the time. Its what ponies do" A smile appeared on her face.

"How would you know? You're not even a pony" Before Chrysalis had a chance to answer a guard appeared at the door way.

"Princess, Queen. A young Pegasus is demanding an audience. She wont leave without seeing both of you" The guards pony walked back out the door.

"Should we go?" Chrysalis started to walk out stoping to look back at Night.

Night dragged her chin off of the window sill and followed Chrysalis to the thrown room where a pink Pegasus waited for them staring at them angrily with purple eyes. As the two leaders took their places on their individual thrones. Night sitting professionally while Chrysalis sat more casually laying back putting her hind hooves up on the arm rest.

"You may speak child" Chrysalis said lazily distracted looking through one of the holes in her hoof.

"Thank you my Queen. About twelve hours ago my husband Shining Armour was arrested by the royal guard for treason. I'm her to plead for his release. He was Capitan of the royal guard he would never harm you or this land" A discreet sly grin appeared on Chrysalis's face.

"What's your name child?" Chrysalis was paying more attention to her after hearing the name of her spouse.

"It's Caden.... Mi Amore Cadenza" She spread her wings and bowed.

"Well Miss Mi Amore. Your husband was spotted chipping away at the Discord statue, this is the most treasons act we can think of and he has been sentenced to life in the dungeon" Night stated with a sense of authority. Chrysalis was grinning once again.

"But its impossible! He was home with me the time they say he did that!" She stamped a hoof to the ground. Two of the four guards ponies in the room transformed into changelings and took their places beside Chrysalis baring their teeth.

"An investigation will be launched into this matter but until then you are excused from the castle. Please leave or we will have you escorted out" Night said her guards also taking their posts next to her.

The mare went to say something but stopped. She bowed to her leaders and turned walking out of the castle. She seemed less than pleased.

"You handled that well Night. I'm glad to see you working better with social and security matters" Chrysalis smiled returning to he lounging position.

"Its not easy but what else was I supposed to do? He was trying to free Discord!" Her voice was shaky almost scared.

"I know dear and neither of us could have beaten him without the power of the Elements of Harmony you destroyed. We couldn't use them anyway, we don't exactly represent harmony now do we?" Chrysalis chuckled to herself.

"No, no I suppose we don't. I'm sorry for saying you weren't a pony. I didn't mean it" Night hung her head.

"Its not like you were wrong" Chrysalis sounded very calm like she really meant what she was saying.

"How can you just say that?" Night snapped.

"Because its true" Chrysalis stated bluntly.

One of Night's guards cuts them off "Princess, Queen. Its time to start the Ball, your dresses are laid out for you"

"Thank you Hammer. Open the doors we will be with the guests shortly" Night stated as they both stood and went to their separate bed chambers.

* * *

The Nightmare Ball was an elegant event and not everyone could just get a ticket. You had to be invited to attend.
Both Changelings and ponies were on the guest list. Military officials, diplomats, government staff. All very important ponies.

Night was talking to some new guests to the Ball this year. A miss Alki who was a changeling and a mister Swift Cart. They were invited for being the first known pony changeling marriage in history, which was significant to a lot of ponies.

Chrysalis was drunk already. Chrysalis didn't like this type of event so she'd rather not remember it the next day.

"Hey Night... Yo my best friend I love you, you princess of the night you" Chrysalis spoke loudly as she stumbled over to Night who was now alone. Chrysalis was clearly very drunk.

"Haha what ever you say Chrysta" Night chuckled at the very drunk, disorientated changeling Queen in front of her.

"Did you call me, Chrysta?... That's.... New..." She trailed off closing her eyes falling to the thrown room floor snoring.

"Hmm" Night smiled and signalled her guards to take Chrysalis to her bed chambers for the night.

After that point the Ball went on for another 6 hours and most ponies were disappearing back to their homes across Equestria. Satisfied Night also retired to her bed chamber.