• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 5,350 Views, 151 Comments

Apocalypse: Worlds End or New Beginnings - Blue dragon 116



One child is cursed with a unholy power the power to change into anything and make youre fears a reality. When he is sent to equestria by mistake can he help against the impending evil or will he just quicking the ponies fall into oblivion

  • ...
22
 151
 5,350

this is war

Time passed agonizingly slowly after the final preparations were made and we awaited the inevitable return of the Horsemen. But we didn't have to wait long, true to my prediction they escaped Tartartus early morning of the second day. Earthquakes shook the entire country as a massive hole appeared just outside the Everfree forest fireballs flying from its core. While thousands of creatures locked away for countless ages poured from the abyss and into the surrounding countryside attacking anything nearby, and in many cases each other.

Being the first on the scene crowd control fell to me as I rained hell fire from above. Disintegrating any foolish enough to try and stand against me, while corralling the rest back towards the abyss. The princesses and Chrysalis arrived shortly after me taking over the sealing of the rift and dealing with any stragglers while I searched for the Horsemen. Only to see them just as they disappear into the Everfree without a backwards glance.

I hovered there on the edge of the forest watching it for any sign that the Horsemen were only toying with us, and would at any moment come rushing out of the trees. But there was no sign of the Horsemen once they disappeared into the forest, leaving me to brood over their actions. Only turning from the forest when approaching wing beats reached my ears forcing me to turn and face the princesses and Chrysalis.

"Where are the Horsemen Thomas I thought you said they would come out and attack us not turn tail and flee?" Celestia said as the three of them got close enough to be heard. All was silent once more as the three of them looked to me for a answer. Only to receive none as my gaze wondered back to the forest behind us.

"Thomas a answer if you please?" Celestia said annoyance filled her tone. Once more no answer was provided, and Celestia was about to speak once more. Only to have whatever she was going to say be lost to the wind that screamed past my ears as I dived at the ground. Pulling up with only feet to spare and began to rain flames down on the ground. Passing back and forth multiple times until there was a wall of purple and green flames twenty feet high separating nearby ponyvile from the forest, with about a miles worth of open ground on either side of the flames. Satisfied with my work I returned to a now flabbergasted Celestia and Luna, while Chrysalis looked on with mild intrigue.

"Now Celestia return to Canterlot and gather our forces and bring them here. Breaking free from Tartartus must have taken more of the Horsemen's power than I thought. So they have retreated to the Everfree to regroup and recoup their strength, but we cant allow that we must strike them now and be done with it." I said earning a confused look from Luna while Celestia's face scrunched up in annoyance. But she teleported away to do as I asked none the less leaving Luna, Chrysalis, and I hovering in place watching the wall of flames. Until with a heavy sigh I began to descend coming to rest not far from the wall, Chrysalis and Luna taking up position on either side of me.

Nothing was said as we waited for Celestia to return with our forces, and all was silent save the occasional call of a bird from the forest. Leaving me bored as my thoughts and eyes gravitated towards the ones seated beside me. I couldn't help but smile in spite of all the trouble these two have caused me. The first to notice was Chrysalis as my thoughts took a lighter note and she looked too me confused only to return my smile. Luna doing the same when I looked to her, making my smile grow even more. Only for our smiles to die as a loud horn sounded ominously on the other side of the flames. And all manner of noises, screeches, and growls could be heard from the other side of the flames. Signaling the arrival of the horsemen's army's. The ground underneath began to tremble gently underfoot as the sounds grew closer. Until all was still once more as the enemy came to a stop just on the other side of the wall of flames. Then once more the noises and calls began again on the other side accompanied by the occasional scream of pain and the smell of burning flesh. The noise and screams had reached a fevered pitch when the ground began to treble once more accompanied by a single ominous boom. That grew in volume every time it sounded as the ground began to shake more and more with the weight of the approaching armies. Before any of us could think to look behind us a massive shadow fell over us. While the sounds of the enemy were drowned out by the sound of millions of wings beating the air making us all look up to a welcome sight. Above us the sun was blocked out by millions of the creatures that called this world home whether it was dragon, ponies, gryphon, or changeling. And then our attention was called to the little town behind us as the sound of a million voices singing a battle hymn filled the air and our army crested the horizon. The sight that greeted us was both awe inspiring and one I wish I never had to see. Creatures big and small, young and old, and from all walks of life marched proudly to war their voice crying their defiance, their feet pounding the earth with a show of their strength. Each pony was armed to the teeth some carried shields as tall a Celestia, some carried bows and arrows either slung across their back or held in magical grasp or just plain relying magic. And the non pony combatants were no less lethal, armed with a myriad of weapons natural or forged. And they all came to rest with a final earth shaking slam of their feet and shields. While their airborn comrades alighted where ever their was room, all looking to me expectantly as Celestia trotted up to me.

"They expect you to say something, a speech or a few simple words it matters not." She said coming to stand beside me. Silence reigned once more even our enemy's remained still as if waiting to hear what I was going to say. But I had nothing to say, what does one say to the creatures of a world you have unleashed hell on? But little did I know the world around me seemed to have a better idea than to just let me flounder. For the air was filled with the sound of music and I found the words leaving my mouth unbidden as a song filled the silence.

To my amazement not even halfway through the song everyone had joined in lending their voices when it was time. And when the song ended all was quite, but I could see a fire burning in everyone's eyes. And then those gathered before me threw their heads back and shook the very ground with one last battle cry. Every creature gathered the Princesses and Chrysalis included had their heads thrown back, shouting their defiance to the heavens. And as if an answer to our cry those gathered against us filled the air with a hellish collection of sounds. Only to be silenced once more as a single hallow voice sounded above the noise seeming to drown it out.

"Now that the musical number is done and over with shall we end this little charade?" Death said as he stepped through the wall of flames, killing the flames from his point of exit outward. Until nothing was left save the scorched earth to show it was ever there to begin with. His presence weighed heavily over the battle field and a deathly silence filled the air while his brothers stepped up beside him.

"To war, I will lead you to victory or die trying!!!" I roared as I charged the horsemen and the two armies surged forward and collided all around us. While I made sure the Horsemen's attention was focused entirely on me while coordinating with Chrysalis to get the equestrians one weapon in place. And what should have taken minutes quickly turned to hours as the Equestrians fought tooth and nail for every inch of ground they gained. But in spite of that fact they were doing well all our forces working together to quickly establish dominance over the battle field be it land or air. And I had even managed to keep the horsemen on the defensive with a random combination of teeth, tail, fire, and sheer dumb luck.

Until something shifted against our favor, it was a small shift. But it was enough to distract me and provide the opening the Horsemen needed. Letting War run forward in a flurry of strikes and strike me in the chest one Chrysalis's mark. Stunning me with the power of the strike and knocking my paralyzed clear over the Waring factions. And careening into Ponyvile skidding through multiple houses and taking the wreckage with me. Digging a trench as I went finally coming to a stop, only to be completely buried under countless tons of wreckage, dirt and debris.

I was slow to regain my bearings having gone from the thick of battle to complete darkness in what was only a matter of seconds left me dazed. But the moment my bearings and senses returned to be I began to struggle to dig myself out and aid those that needed me. But the more I struggled the more I realized I couldn't move, and no matter what I tried just wouldn't respond. And my struggles grew frenzied as the fear and despair I could feel from Chrysalis grew exponentially with every passing second. And then I saw through her eyes and I saw the reason for her fear. From atop the trees of the Everfree countless creatures leaped into the air grabbing anything they could and dragged their prey screaming to the ground. And when they moved on to their next victim all that remained was a puddle of blood, or occasionally a picked clean skull.

These terrors moved effortlessly through the ranks of their enemy's, feeding on some. Or just slicing a throat or gut open, leaving their victim to paint the battle field with their blood or entrails. Faced with these new Terrors the Equestrians and their ally's began fall back or flee in terror. All the while having their numbers picked apart slowly but surely.

And then my connection to Chrysalis was lost as she and the princesses along with the Elements of harmony called a retreat. Leaving me to rage silently in the darkness of my earthy prison as my body slowly began to grow cold, as if chilled. And as the chill spread my rage began to burn out.

` Ever so faintly I could hear the thundering of hooves on the ground above me, and to my surprise they surrounded me. It even sounded like they had begun to dig me out. But that hope died like a candle in a windstorm as the sounds of battle trickled down to me once more.

It filled with rage once more to know I was trapt and unable to do anything about it. But again the rage died down, the flames smothered by the empty chill that trapt my body. And as the chill finally reached my head my mind began to cloud and a tear escaped my eyes as they closed.

"I'm so sorry." I thought morosely as the faces of those who would undoubtedly by above because of my weakness filled my thoughts. "I was to weak to save you I should have known this from the start."

I began to fade from conciseness and another tear slipped down my snout as I accepted my fate. But before I could completely I was blinded by a flash of light. And deafened as thunderous laughter filled the silence that once surrounded me.

" I never thought You would actually need my help Thomas, but its a good thing I left something behind when I left. Now open you eyes friend and allow me to show you why you are not weak." Said a voice that filled the darkness, it almost sounded familiar. Buts the one I thought of had ling since passed on, I should know I was their to see it. But I forced open my eyes hissing in pain as I was temporarily blinded and waited for my sight to clear. And when it did I saw the outline of a alicorn approaching me. The only distinguishing feature I could see was the main and tail didn't move as Celestia and Luna's. It didn't move as if caught in a endless breeze, more like it danced as if it were........ fire?