• Published 22nd Jul 2013
  • 1,718 Views, 28 Comments

Between a Rock Farm and a New Place. - Random_User



After volunteering to help an injured pony, Marble finds herself with the opportunity to realize her aspirations of becoming a cook. She also meets the professional, yet personable Horte Cuisine.

  • ...
1
 28
 1,718

Chapter 4: Dates and Promises

Chapter 4: Dates and Promises

Marble stepped into the kitchen and started to prepare things for serving the lunch herd. While it was a little early for her to be there, she was somewhat surprised that Tongs and Fruit were not already in the kitchen.

Cuisine stepped through the outside door, impeccably dressed and groomed. “Good morning.” He glanced around the kitchen. “Where are my aunt and uncle?”

Marble shrugged, confused as he was. “Maybe they stepped out for a minute? We’re a bit early, so they may not have gotten through some errand they needed to do, or something like that.”

Cuisine started to help Marble with the prep work, as they continued their speculation. “That doesn’t sound like them at all. I hope he didn’t injure himself again pushing himself too much this morning.”

Tongs’ voice replied from the living section, “Nothing of the sort, I was just helping your aunt dry off from the shower.” There was the sound of a light, playful smack. “Dear, that’s my bad shoulder you just abused.”

“It didn’t seem too bad just a few minutes ago, so don’t give me that!” Fruit led their way into the kitchen, and smiled at the two younger ponies. “Good morning you two, you didn’t have to start without us.”

Marble desperately fought not to giggle at the café owners' antics.

Cuisine shook his head in disbelief. “Uncle, you should be taking it a little easier, especially since you're starting back today.”

Tongs impishly replied, “Some things are worth the risk of injury. Helping my lovely wife in reaching all those hard to reach spots is one of them.”

Fruit swatted him on the rump, sending him scurrying to start his tasks.

Trying to ignore his relatives, Cuisine stuck his nose out the kitchen door. “Here comes the first of our patrons. I’ll be right back.”

Marble got into what she presumed would be her position by the sink.

“Marble, what are you doing?” Tongs asked, a bit of a laugh slipping into his voice.

She thought she had avoided a faux paus by taking the cleaning position; instead, she seemed to have stepped into one. “I thought you would be cooking today.”

“You are only going to be here a few more days, there is a lot I want to show you before you go.”

She almost did not believe what he had said. “Are you sure?”

“Of course, I love to teach budding chefs. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to. I’m enjoying this as much as you seem to have been enjoying cooking.” He motioned for her to take her place.

Instead of going straight to the chef’s spot, Marble walked over and hugged him. She could barely get out the words, “Thank you.”

Tongs was not expecting his offer for her to cook to affect her so deeply. He patted her back, when he noticed she was struggling to control her emotions. “Think nothing of it.” He looked over Marble’s shoulder and shared a knowing look with Fruit. Fruit smiled, and nodded in approval.

After a moment, Fruit cleared her throat. “Marble, that’s my husband your holding.”

Marble quickly released him. “I’m sorry!”

Cuisine walked back in. He noted where everypony was standing, and asked, “Is everything alright?”

Fruit nodded to him, and explained, “There was just some confusion as to who was doing what in the kitchen today. We’ve gotten everything sorted out now.”

*****

“Pinkie, what exactly did you put in this? It weighs a ton!” Marble started to look in the basket, but Pinkie put her hoof down on the lid.

“No peeking until desert!”

“This is payback for not letting you look under the tarp isn’t it?”

“That’s part of it, but I also promised Horte not to let you look.”

“Cuisine talked to you about our date?” Marble didn’t know whether to be surprised, scared, or just roll with the situation.

“Who else in Ponyville would know what you liked?” Pinkie escorted her out of the kitchen. “Everything is going to be just fine. I promise. I’ve planned a lot of parties, and a date is just a party for two. There won’t be any fruit bats, wild storms, or soggy desserts, I promise.”

It took Marble a second to stop in her mind from wondering about how fruit bats, storms, or ruined desserts could fit into a date. “Pinkie, have you ever been on a date?”

There was a knock on the store’s door. Pinkie quickly took the opportunity to avoid the question. “I think Horte’s here.”

Marble grinned. “Luck saved you this time, Pinkie. I’ll get that answer out of you before this trip is through.”

Pinkie glibly stuck her tongue out. “Tell Horte hello for me, and don’t do anything that I wouldn’t do!” Pinkie went back to the kitchen, still needing to finish with the final details for Angel’s party.

That leaves quite a lot on the table. Marble opened the door, and shook her head at what she saw. “You couldn’t decide whether to dress up or not I see.”

Cuisine’s mane was not styled back, nor did he have one his customary cuffs and vest, but he wore a bowtie. “You like it when I’m out of uniform, I know, but I also felt that this is a rather important event.”

“So you compromised and went for something in the middle. I like it.” She motioned for him to come inside. “Pinkie said you talked to her about ideas for tonight.”

“She knocked on my door early in the morning yesterday and volunteered quite a bit of information about you. I asked a couple of questions, I’ll admit.” Seeing Marble’s eyes widen at the implications, Cuisine waved away her worries. “She didn’t tell me anything overly personal or embarrassing, I promise. I have to say, she gave me quite a few solid suggestions.” He saw the basket that Pinkie had prepared on the counter and grinned. “Ah, she was as good as her word.”

“She kept me from looking in it. That makes me wonder what exactly is in it all the more.”

He was glad to see that Marble was interested in his surprise. “You’ll get to see what’s inside later, I promise.” He went to pick up the basket with his mouth, and grunted slightly at the unexpected weight. He put it back down for a moment and gave it a disbelieving stare. “What did she put in it? I just asked for a couple of things, not half of the store’s inventory.”

His hoof reached to open the basket’s top, but Marble stopped him by placing her hoof on his. “You can’t look till I can.”

“Fair enough, I’ve got a feeling she’s set us both up a surprise. Let’s leave it here till after dinner. We should have time to swing by and pick it up on our way.”

“I take it this evening is going to involve more than dinner?”

He looked worried for a moment. “I did have a little something planned, if it’s alright with you.”

“It most certainly is. I was just pulling your tail.” She started to reach up towards his neck, but stopped herself. “You’re going to have to relax a little more tonight, or I’m taking that tie off.”

*****

As they walked away from the restaurant, Marble sighed contentedly. “That was perfect. I haven’t had Neighponese food since I was in Canterlot.”

“Pinkie said you would enjoy it. I admit, I had planned to cook you something myself tonight, but after talking with Pinkie this seemed like a better idea.”

She turned to him, slightly confused. “You could have cooked that meal, I have no doubt.”

“Perhaps, but not nearly as well, I don’t have near the experience the chef tonight has with that kind of meal. Besides, I could never do all the show pony tricks he did while fixing it, and that’s part of the dining experience at this kind of place.” Cuisine flailed his forelegs around in mimicry of the chef’s motions. “I would have cut my own hoof off.”

Marble laughed. “I wonder what the traditional Neighponese chefs think about all the tricks and gimmick’s they use at these places.”

“They’d probably laugh their tails off or not take kindly to it at all. To take such a serious art as cooking and turning into a circus would not have been thought off all that well by the chefs I learned from.” His words clearly indicated he did not agree with his instructor’s views on the subject.

She barely resisted the impulse to ask where he had gone. “Some ponies are just a little too uptight.”

“Like I am while I’m at work?” He raised a curious eyebrow.

She giggled. “Something like that. But with you, it’s endearing.”

They made their way back to Sugar Cube Corner and picked up the basket, on their way to the park. The conversation stopped as Cuisine carried the basket in his mouth.

Marble grinned, as an idea came to her. “Let’s play a little game. You make some noise if I’m getting warm when I guess at something about you. It’s only fair, since you got the scoop on me from Pinkie.”

He grunted what sounded like an agreeing noise.

“Alright, first, you have not dated in a while.”

He nodded and gave an affirmative noise.

“The reason you haven’t dated has nothing to do with matters of the heart, but due to your work schedule.”

He nodded again.

“You lived in Canterlot for a while.”

He stiffened at the question, but nodded.

She was sensitive enough not follow up and what was obviously an uncomfortable question with another. “You were doubtful about my cooking skills when I walked into the kitchen that first day.”

He hesitated to answer.

“It’s quite reasonable, don’t worry that you’re going to hurt my feelings. A strange mare that you have never seen before walks in off the street and offers to help. I would be skeptical myself. Were you?”

He slowly nodded.

She smiled. “Thanks for being honest. One more question, and I’ll stop.” She paused for a moment, just to let him stew. “You watched my flank when I walked away that first time didn’t you?”

He about dropped the basket and stumbled at the question.

“That’s all the answer I need, thank you.” She smirked as he just closed his eyes and sighed through his nose. “I actually appreciate it. I’ve been working to get in better shape.”

Despite the weight of the basket, his head quickly turned towards her. He was tempted to stop and put the basket down so he could properly talk to her about her statement, but they had reached the park and the crowd of ponies precluded talking about such a sensitive subject.

They chose a spot, close to the gazebo where everypony had gathered, and opened the basket. A cake, plates, napkins, and silverware for two rested on top of a comfortable blanket. Cuisine unpacked the items and spread the blanket on the ground. “There is a wooden divider in the bottom of the basket. Shall we see what’s under it?”

She wearily looked into the basket. “There’s no telling what Pinkie’s put in there. It may be better if we wait to see when we’re not in a crowd.”

He served the cake to her, much to the envy of a few of ponies around them.

She leaned to him and whispered. There is no way we can eat this whole cake. Should we offer other ponies a couple of slices?”

“I don’t think that’s what the looks are about.”

She stopped her fork at the halfway point to her mouth. “Pinkie’s cakes are not something to miss.”

“I think they’re looking our direction because you’re the most lovely mare here this evening,” Cuisine said smoothly.

She blushed and put her fork down. Before she could respond, there was stirring around the gazebo as Lyre and Bon Bon took their places for the evening’s entertainment.

Lyra addressed the gathered ponies. “Good evening. Thank you for coming to our little outdoor concert. We will be joined a later by our good friend Note Worthy. For now, please relax and enjoy the music.

Lyra levitated her ubiquitous lyre to her hooves. Bon Bon opened an oddly shaped case, and pulled out what appeared to be an upside down sealed wok. The strange looking thing had indentations spaced around its circumference and one on its top.

“What kind of instrument is that?” Marble asked to nopony in particular.

Cuisine informed her, “It’s called a hang. There aren’t too many of them made and they’re very expensive. She picked it up after becoming friends with Lyra. The only reason I know anything about it is that I asked her what it was after one of their shows.”

Lyra counted off, and the duo started into a piece. The hang sounded like a mellow steel drum, and resonated beautifully with the chords that Lyra’s harp produced. They played for almost half an hour before Note Worthy arrived, and added his saxophone to the mix. The music was an unusual, yet harmonious, blend of sounds that stayed with the listening ponies even after the trio had taken their bows.

Marble watched as the other ponies started to leave. She offered the remaining slices of cake to anypony who seemed interested. Cuisine returned from putting a few bits in the basket that the musicians had placed for tips and curled back up on the blanket. “That was wonderful. It’s an odd trio for a group, but they always play such great music.”

“I can’t stand it. I just want to have a peek.” She waited for him to agree, then took a quick look under the divider. She swiftly put it back in place and started to chuckle.

“What was it?”

She named, “Two wine bottles, crackers, cheese, a cheese knife, glasses, a bottle opener, and a note addressed to me.”

He smiled. “And you said you wouldn’t be able to take an order without a pad. You only glanced under the divider for a second and you were able to name all that.”

“Having a good memory runs in the family. Pinkie is better than I am.”

He nodded towards the basket. “At least read the note. I’m curious as to what she had to say.”

She retrieved the note from under the divider. As she read it, she bit her bottom lip. After finishing, she offered the note to him. “Here, you need to read this.”

He took the note, read it, and blushed at the warning that Pinkie had written Marble. He looked up and solemnly promised, “There will be no taking advantage of anypony under the influence of wine this evening.”

“What if I’m the one taking advantage of you?” Marble teased, as started packing the basket back up. “Let’s go somewhere and open one of these bottles.”

He offered, “Back to Sugar Cube Corner?”

“What about your place? The Cakes and Pinkie turn in early; I don’t want to wake them.”

“My place it is, only if you promise to behave and not try to ‘take advantage’ of me. I don’t want to have to explain anything to Pinkie.”

They made their way to Cuisine’s house and settled down in the den. He pulled out the bottles and scanned their labels. “Would you prefer the merlot or the cabernet sauvignon? They’re both from Berry Punch’s winery, so they’re bound to be good.”

“The cabernet, thank you, I like heavy wines.”

He poured the wine, and they talked. They decided to skip the cheese, since they were both still full from their dinners and the cake. The conversation drifted from subject to subject. She asked about his collection of books, his thoughts on Luna’s return, and his interest in Equestrian history. He, in turn, asked about life on a rock farm, her musical interests, and about the various errands that she had had to run while in town.

They drained the first bottle and then opened the merlot. After another glass between the two of them, the tone of the conversation changed.

Marble ran a hoof around the edge of her glass. “I want to ask you something.”

“I’ll answer whatever you ask.”

“Why are you in Ponyville if you are a graduate of CSCA?”

He looked at her with admiration. “How did you figure that out?”

“You fixed my lunch perfectly that first day. Then you said that Tongs was the only currently active chef from CSCA in Ponyville. I figured you had to be the other.”

He sighed and picked his glass up. “Truth be told, I had a very nasty falling out with my father. So I came to live here and help uncle with the café.”

Marble pressed him a little more. “Do you mind telling me why?”

He shrugged, indicating he did not mind at all. “It was because our personalities didn’t mesh. He runs the family restaurant like a tyrant. He grinds employees with long hours and harsh treatment until they quit. After enough time, and the same kind of treatment, he ground me down as well. I left after he and I had particularly sharp disagreement over his treatment of me and the other staff.” He took another sip of wine as if to wash the taste of his words from his mouth.

“I take it you don’t have much to do with him now.” The thought of him and his father not speaking made her ears fold back in sympathy.

He chuckled and took a sip of his wine, before assuring her, “Quite the opposite, since I’ve left Canterlot our relationship has improved. I even go to see him and mom a couple of times a year. My father is not an evil pony; he just approaches life differently than I do. I’ve accepted that, and he’s accepted my decision to live and work here.”

She smiled in relief. “That’s good to hear.”

“My turn for a couple of questions, since you’ve had two cracks at me already.”

She agreed with a nod. “That’s only fair.”

“How does a mare who has worked on a rock farm all her life come to have a slice of quiche as a cutie mark?”

She wasn’t surprised he started with that question. “I was visiting my grandmother, Granny Pie, and was helping her cook at her bakery. She had gotten a big catering order, and while I was rushing around with her to get everything ready my mark appeared.”

“That’s a wonderful way to get a cutie mark. You were doing what you liked with a pony you loved.”

She grinned. “Granny was so excited about my mark she nearly forgot about the catering job. I think she was happier about it than I was.” Her smile faded, as she thought about her parent’s reaction. “My parents weren’t nearly so enthusiastic. Mom seemed a little proud. Dad wasn’t that thrilled.”

He slightly tilted his head at her words. “Why did they react that way?”

“I guess after having Pinkie getting her cutie mark for making other ponies happy they didn’t know how to respond to mine. The rock farm is life for them. They drummed it into us, when we were growing up, that the farm should be our lives as well. I think they just saw my getting a cooking cutie mark as another one of their daughters having a talent that didn’t fit in with life on the farm or the rest of the family.”

He kindly pointed out, hoping to cheer her up a little, “Your mark fits in with your family quite well. You just happen to take after Granny Pie’s branch of your family.”

“That’s a nice way to look at it.” She smiled over the rim of her class. “I guess the next question you want to ask is where I learned to cook.”

He nodded. “Again, if you don’t feel comfortable talking about it, don’t.”

“You’ve answered all my questions, so I’ll answer yours. Besides, it’s not an uncomfortable subject. Granny taught me about baking, and tried to convince my parents, when I was old enough, to allow me to live with her while I took courses at a cooking school in Canterlot. Before I could, she passed away. However, she did have the last say in the matter. In her will, she left me money specifically so that so that I could attend cooking school.”

He poured her a little more wine. “Your grandmother certainly was a special lady. Where did you enroll?”

“You may have never heard of it, but I loved it.” She held aloft her glass and grandly stated, “I am a proud graduate of Cutting Board’s School of Cooking.”

He laughed at her theatrics. “I have heard of it. It’s not as well-known as some, but it’s regarded as a good school.” He thought back for a moment. “Now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure a couple of my instructors were from Cutting Board’s. How did you end up back on the farm after you completed culinary school?” He felt his heart drop, as her face saddened.

“Despite my high marks, because I didn’t graduate from one of the better known cooking schools, I’ve had trouble finding a job. I keep sending resumes to any opening I think I have a chance at filling, but there hasn’t been a positive response yet. I had to move back home after my money ran out.” She regarded her glass, as she slowly swirled the wine. “I just want an opportunity to show somepony what I can do.”

He smiled, and took her free hoof with his own. “You’ve certainly shown us your skills. Would you consider staying here? I could talk to Tongs and Fruit, and see what they say.”

The mixture of emotions that she felt at the offer rendered her speechless. She put her glass down and placed her other hoof on top of his.

He continued, “I know Tongs likes you, and Fruit seems to give every indication she likes you too. You fit perfectly with what we need at the café.” He grinned playfully, before adding, “You’re certainly my pick for the position, but I may be slightly biased.”

She tightened her grip on his hoof, causing him to stop before he said anything more. “I would love to stay. You and your family are wonderful ponies, and that’s one of the reasons I am so very tempted. But I have to go home soon, and you have to find somepony to take Tray’s spot in the café quickly.”

“We could make it work till you got back.”

“You’re sweet, but by the time I could talk to my parents, arrange everything with them, and get things settled at the farm it would be too long for you and your aunt and uncle to go without help.”

He started to say something, stopped, and then looked down. He debated with himself as to whether he should voice what was on his mind or not.

Marble removed her hooves from his, reached up, and undid his tie. “Now, say what you were about to say.”

“I’m more than willing to make ours a long distance relationship, but I would like you to stay here.”

His honest expression and tone caused her voice to catch. After a moment, she managed to say, “I know it’s going to keep us apart for a while, but I have to go home. Your aunt and uncle need somepony that can help them right now, not in a week or two, so I’m not the best choice.”

“You’re a caring, smart, and talented mare who deserves more than toiling at a job that you don’t like. I know you’re helping your parents, and I respect that, but your skills and spirit are being wasted there.” He took one of her hooves, and pressed it to his lips. “Please, if you won’t be selfish, allow me to be. We can hire Carmel again. He can help us until you get back. I’ll pay for it myself, it if comes down to it.”

She leaned in and gently kissed him on the forehead. “I don’t know how long it’s going to take for me and my family to arrange everything. I can’t ask you and your family to not do what is best for you and the café for my own selfish reasons. I certainly can’t take bits out of your pocket like that either.”

“I won’t move you on this will I?” Cuisine sadly asked.

“You, Fruit, and Tongs have already given me so much, I can’t ask for anything more.”

He added some weight to his words, as he pointed out, “We didn’t give you anything. You’ve been helping us from the very start.”

She nuzzled him reassuringly. “That’s not how it feels to me. It’s literally been the opportunity of my lifetime. I don’t want you to say anything for your own sake too. They know that you like me and that I like you. There’s a chance it would appear that I’ve unduly influenced you. I don’t’ want to risk that idea even occurring to them.”

For a second, he grinned. “I think they would happy if you influenced me. They certainly helped set me up in the kitchen for you to ambush me.”

Her own smile returned. “I did not ‘ambush’ you. I just listened to what you said, answered two and a half questions, offered to help Tray, and cleared the air between us. I got to pull your tail a little too, which was an added bonus.”

Both their smiles faded, as she returned to the topic of her leaving. “Promise me you won’t say anything or subtly try to coax Fruit or Tongs to look in my direction when it comes to the opening. If an offer comes naturally, I’ll be thrilled and take it. If my parents don’t like it, they can eat rocks.”

He met her eyes, but would not make a promise that he was not sure he could, or wanted, to keep.

She pressed, “I’ll do my best to make it back to Ponyville as soon as I can. Even if I have to take a job somewhere else, this is where I want to be. You being here is enough of a reason to come back. There aren’t too many stallions that would offer to help a mare like you have.” He looked away for a moment, and she hugged him around the neck. “Promise me.”

He reluctantly nodded. “I promise.” He hugged her back. “Keeping that promise is going to be very hard.”

She gently teased, “You’ve barely known me for a week. How can you be so attached to me?”

“How long did it take you to know that cooking was the thing that you wanted to spend your life doing?”

“Pretty much from the first time I helped Granny Pie make something for one of her customers. What does that have to do with anything?”

He looked into her eyes, as he told her, “It’s like that with me when it comes to my feelings for you. I thought you were stunning the first time I saw you. Now that I’ve gotten to know you for the mare you are, I will always want you in my life.” He blushed and looked away, hoping he had not gone too far.

She gently kissed him. “I always will be.”