• Published 22nd Jul 2013
  • 2,374 Views, 102 Comments

With Extra Frosting on Top - Grey Faerie



Pinkie goes on a diet to lose weight. She struggles with her new self over her old self.

  • ...
8
 102
 2,374

Diet Water

The red and gold leaves were falling from the trees. A leaf fell from its tree and stuck into Pinkie's mane as she passed. Then it continued it's way to the street below. She happily noted that even though fall was coming, the nights were still warm.

Pinkie was bouncing down the street with her old friend Grey Faerie. Pinkie had known the grey unicorn since before she got her cutie mark. Grey Faerie now lives in the town next door to Ponyville, Whiterston.

They were scoping out the local scene for eligible colts. It was something they did every now and again.


"Ooo! How about that one! That looks good." Pinkie happily exclaimed. It would be their forth club of the night but that didn't curb Pinkie's enthusiasm. The flashing neon signs seemed to glow in time with the din coming from inside. Pinkie smiled at Grey and nodded her head towards the doors.

"Okay."

The bouncer was quick to let them in. Inside, they marveled at the display. The packed room looked to be painted a deep purple. Beams of light sprayed dots of white onto the air. It was like walking into a geode stone. The ceiling looked as if space had descended with patterns of constellations strewn about. Pinkie could see now the silver confetti falling onto the dance floor. Even Grey look around appreciatively. Her eyes shined as she looked at Pinkie and smirked. They decided to make their way past the crowd of dancers to the bar.

"What can I get you lovely ladies tonight?" the bartender asked.

"Ooo, I want the sweetest thing you've got!" Pinkie squealed.

"I would think you were sweet enough, sugar." The bartender smiled causing Pinkie to giggle.

"I'll have what she's having only cut the alcohol to a minimum. I'm the designated driver tonight."

"But you aren't driving," Pinkie said looking confused.

"It's a figure of speech."

"I thought Socrates was a figure of speech or was it Hermes?" Pinkie looked up and away thinking on it.

"No, love. They're figures known for speeches or in Hermes's case, god of speaking. I'm not talking about literal 'figures' of speech."

"Ohhh, silly me."

"Bartender, you might want to cut her off sooner than expected. She's already a little wasted."

"Hey! That's just my lack of educational nutrient. You can't really expect to learn much on a rock farm."

"Alright, alright. Hey, let's go check them out." Grey pointed to a pair of stallions sitting a few chairs down. Pinkie smiled and both strutted, with glasses in hoof, over to the boys.

"Why hello there," Grey started. The stallions looked up and noticed the two girls. They smiled back.

"Hello there cutie. I'm sorry I never noticed you. Did you and your fine friend just get here?" he grinned.

"Yeah! First time here. You come here often? How's the dance floor?" Pinkie replied. She and Grey took a seat at the bar. They casually leaned against it.

"Yeah, you can say that and the dance floor is hot. Much like yourself." he smirked back. Pinkie and Grey looked at each other and chuckled a little. They couldn't help the smiles and blushes from his corny pick up lines.

"Thanks. I love to dance. Do you?"

"If it's with a girl like you, I'm the number one fan of dancing."

The girls finished their drinks and all of them sauntered to the dance floor.

Pinkie jammed to the music. The DJ was great! He remixed songs and kept the energy going. The boys seemed to be more interested in simply watching them as they mostly just swayed to the beat.

"Hey! You want to get more drinks?" one of the boys called out, "I bet you'll be dancing on the bar before your third drink."

"You're on!" Pinkie called back. She made her way back to the bar and turned to them. "What do you have in mind?"

"Do you know what Absinthe is?"

"Wow, you're really starting hard aren't you? That won't make much of a bet now will it? Let's try something softer like vodka." Grey stared them down.

"What are you worrying about, Grey? It's not like you're going to be the one drinking it."

"I'm the one that will have to deal with you afterwards. I'd rather not have to figure out how to carry you home."

"Don't you worry about that. I could carry her back to my place. It's not too far," the stallion answered.

"Thanks, that makes me feel so much better," she cut back. "Try the vodka."

The stallion's face had fallen but he regained himself and agreed.

"You've picked the wrong girl. I'm a farmer's daughter. I can hold my stuff." Pinkie puffed out her chest.

It in fact, took five drinks before she felt brave enough to jump on top of the bar to dance. It took Grey a little bit to coax her down. The stallions didn't fare as well and were passing out on a couch. The bartender had to cut them off early so they wouldn't be too drunk to get home. It was a safety issue. The girls sat at a table with waters to sober up.

Pinkie put her head in her hooves. "We've been to four different clubs and still no luck! How hard is it to find one decent guy?"

"For you? Very," Grey Faerie explain with her own head leaning on her hoof. "Guys only see you as a fling. A crazy party girl to get drunk and bring home for the night."

"I hate that! Just because I like to have fun they think I'm easy. It's just so... I hate it. I'm tired of not having a boyfriend," Pinkie said. It had been a year since she had had any type of boyfriend. And while this shouldn't have been such a big deal, she had started to feel pangs of loneliness. Love was something she always held highly. Not having anyone special to share it with was depressing.

"Maybe we should call it a night," Grey Faerie said. "I'll walk you home."

"Okay." Pinkie giggle. "Ahh, you're walking me home. How responsible of you."

"Yes, like any true gentlecolt. I shall walk the inebriated lady to her bed safely," Grey Faerie stated with a strut in her step. She always spoke in a slight drawl. Sort of like a Canterlot pony but without the snobbishness. She spoke slowly, stretching out the words and sometimes even leaving pauses in between her words with an intact of breath.

"Hey! I'm not that drunk. I can hold my liquor quite well," Pinkie smiled back at her.

"Quite," Grey resounded. "Quite evident on that part. You did out drink most of the guys we met. Though I would of have enjoyed it more if you didn't drink so much of some of those drinks. Alcohol does have a lot of calories. And fat in some cases. I wouldn't want you to become too unhealthy. Especially with how you eat most of the time," She said.

"I know, I know. Thank you for your concern," Pinkie said lovingly.


They arrived in Ponyville well after midnight. Pinkie hugged her friend goodbye and safe journey home. She continued up to bed. While she didn't have work the next day, that would have killed her getting up so early, she did have some errands to do.

Pinkie opened her eyes the next day and sat up in bed. She stretched her arms above her head and yawned. Pinkie looked over to her nightstand to find her sunglasses. She planted them on her face and moved over to the dresser mirror. The long stokes of the brush put her hair back into a manageable poof. She walked to the bathroom and gulped down some aspirin along with a few glasses of water. She looked longingly back at the bed but duty led her to walk down the stairs.

"Good morning, Pinkie!" Mr. Cake called out cheerfully.

"Oww, can we put the happy on hold for a while. I'm still recuperating from the mounts of fun last night."

"Ohh! Sorry," he said quieter. "Haha, so you enjoyed yourself last night? Maybe a little too much with that friend of yours?" he asked.

Pinkie smiled. "We were responsible. No need to worry. And no, we didn't have too much last night. I just got in really late."

She smiled at the fatherly look she got from him. It always made her happy to know the Cakes cared about her like a daughter.

She went into the kitchen and got two blueberry muffins for breakfast. She finished them off with a glass of orange juice.

"Good morning, Pinkie," Mrs. Cakes said. She had noticed the glasses and was mindful of her headache. "What are you up to today?"

Pinkie was blowing raspberries with the kids. She looked up and replied, "Ohh, I promised Fluttershy I'd help her with shopping. Then I need to go to Rarity's and act as her model. She wants to see how the clothes move."

"Ok, well have fun." Mrs. Cake said.

"I will." Pinkie giggled.

"BUT NOT TOO MUCH FUN! YOU HAD ENOUGH LAST NIGHT." Mr. Cake called from the other room.

Pinkie and Mrs. Caked laughed. "Of course not! Most bars don't open until after noon!" she replied.

He just rolled his eyes and shook his head. Pinkie waved goodbye as she walked out the door. The cool wind was blowing through the changing leaves. It would still be a few weeks until Pinkie could enjoy jumping on the crunchy leaves. She walked towards the market square to wait for Fluttershy.

She settled down in the shade of the bookstore to wait for her friend. It was a few minutes later that Fluttershy appeared.

"Heya, Flutters! How's it going?" Pinkie asked.

"Hello, Pinkie, I'm good. If you don't mind me asking, why are you wearing sunglasses?"

"Ohh, it looked sunny today. So! Where do we go first?"

"Well," Fluttershy said pulling out her list, "I need vegetables, some medicine, a few books, and blankets. If that sounds like too much for you to carry, I can put it off and asks someone else. If that's what you want?"

"Haha! I'm not as weak as I look Flutters! I'm tougher than a hard tack biscuit," She said flexing her arm.

Fluttershy giggled softly, "Ok."


They had gotten through a good half of their shopping when Pinkie had begun to really notice the looks her friend was getting. It might have been because of her own desire for those types of looks that made her aware of it. Almost all the colts they had come across had looked to admire Fluttershy. Either by stealing glances or by showing her more kindness. They would murmur about the dainty way she walked. About the way her long hair flowed. It was all understandable Pinkie reasoned. Fluttershy was beautiful. She had modeled professionally even! Doesn't matter that she had hated it; she had done it.

It was those double takes and the way Fluttershy was treated that made Pinkie aware of the lack of attention she got. It was strangely antagonizing. She was used to getting a lot of attention. She was the number one party pony in all of Ponyville and maybe even most of Equestria! And she wasn't much of one to be jealous of her friends. She enjoyed their happiness. She was glad when they had something she didn't because it meant they had something special to brighten their day.

Her budding feelings of jealously bothered her. She tried to shrug it off and continued with the shopping.


"Thank you Pinkie, you were a lot of help today," Fluttershy told her. They had gotten all the shopping done. Pinkie had ended up carrying a good majority of it but she had expected it. Fluttershy wasn't as strong as her and she was a Pegasus. That made her naturally lighter and less sturdy than Pinkie's Earth Pony body.

"Your welcome! It was fun hanging out with you. Call me anytime you need a shopping cart hehe." She laughed.

"Ok," Fluttershy said smiling, "I'll see you later."

Pinkie skipped down the dirt road away from Fluttershy's cottage and towards Rarity's house. Her face was stamped with a wide smile. She was looking forward to trying on all of Rarity's wonderful clothes. It was a real treat to get dressed up in something so fancy.

When she got to the house she burst right in with an exuberant "HELLO RARITY!" and as expected Rarity jumped a mile in the air.

"Ahhhh! Ohh, hello, Pinkie. That was quite a scare. I do hope your not going to be doing that too often," Rarity hinted.

Pinkie laughed. "No, not often, but enough to keep you on your toes! Oooo, are those the dresses I'm going to wear. Squee They're so pretty! and sparkly!"

"Why thank you darling. I spent almost all of this morning working on them. Now, up you go on the pedestal. I need to see how they look on you."

Pinkie bounced up onto the stand and stood still as Rarity put the first dress on her. It was a little uncomfortable in some places.

"Well... I didn't grunt think it ah would fit so... snugly," Rarity said. "Hold still while I, let it out a little." She then went to 'let it out a little'.

"Hmmm, I think we might have to pass on this one. Here try this one on," Rarity said as she helped Pinkie out of the first dress. "I would have to take that one apart to... fit someone so..."—she paused to find the right words—"I know what it is. I made these with Nobles in mind. Not a hard working girl like you."

Pinkie just nodded. She didn't need Rarity to say it to know what she meant. Pinkie tried on the other dress with as little luck as the first. The others didn't fit well either.

"You know what. I don't even need these done for quite a while. I shouldn't have rushed it. Here, let's try out these hats and scarfs. The fall fashion season is going to be in full swing soon and it would be wise to be ready with the right accessories," Rarity said with a flourish.

Pinkie slouched as she shuffled home. Rarity tried to make her feel better about the incident with her fall clothing but it wasn't the same. She had looked forward to dressing up in those wonderful clothes. Now she felt like dirt. This incident also brought forth what had happened this morning with Fluttershy.

When she got home, she found a note from the Cakes saying they had been invited to a play date and would be back tonight. Pinkie smiled at this; thinking of the fun the twins were having and the Cakes getting a rest from work. She walked over to the fridge and pulled out a plate of cake, a cup of left over frosting, and a tub of ice cream. She went up to her room and set her sun glasses back on the night stand. She then proceeded to eat her dinner.

I don't get it. Why is it Fluttershy gets so many looks and I, her friend, doesn't? She doesn't even want the attention. Maybe that's it! It's because she doesn't want it... she... gets it? No, no, no, that doesn't make any sense. Aren't I just the same as her? Shouldn't I get attention from just being around her?

Pinkie's short train of thought was stopped by her spoon hitting the bottom of the ice cream tub. Her eyes widened. She looked around and realized she had already finished everything.

What? But that was a whole cake and a new bucket of ice cream. I... She looked at herself and it struck her. I'm... fat. That's why. She threw her spoon down and jumped up. Of course! Gaa! I should have realized it. Especially after today at Rarity's shop. I'm just... why would anyone look at me when I'm just a comparison to to... highlight how unlike Fluttershy I am. I show off how thin and pretty and ladylike she is! I'm just loud obnoxious and... Fat.

Pinkie sniffled hard and scrunch her eyes closed. She began pacing back and forth. This is it. I'm tired of it! I want to be the pretty one. I want to be the one guys want to talk to and not because they think I'm easy or... stupid.

She stood in front of her mirror but quickly looked away.

She let out a breath. I'm going on a diet. And not just that. I'm going to change. By the end of it I'll be thinner and with a proper boyfriend. She smiled to herself.

First off, she thought looking around, is the hardest part. Changing how I eat.

She felt sick thinking about all the unhealthy things she just ate. All the calories and sugars. She wanted it out of her. But instead, she cleaned up the remains of her meal and prepared a list. If she was going to change, she need to write down what she needed to do.

It was still a little early for it but she went to bed. She was tired from her day and the hangover she had nursed. Sleep eventually came.