• Published 22nd Jul 2013
  • 2,375 Views, 102 Comments

With Extra Frosting on Top - Grey Faerie



Pinkie goes on a diet to lose weight. She struggles with her new self over her old self.

  • ...
8
 102
 2,375

Fluffy Pillows of Doom

Pinkie Pie skipped down the road. She greeted hi to the shop owner like any other day. But no, today was a special day. Cause you see, today she was going to the Cantering Stallion with her friends. That was sure to bring a smile to her face, though she wasn't sure if it was because of the thought of them at a place like that. Or because they were being apart of her expanded world. She voted for the first one.

"Twilight! Are you there?" Pinkie called out. She knocked repeatedly on the bedroom door. "Hey! We leave in half an hour!" She whined. Hmm.

"And a one, and a two and three!" She burst down the door.

"Hey!" Twilight jumped in the air from on top her bed. "Oh, um Pinkie. I'm so sorry but I'm not feeling well and ahh...!"

Pinkie bit onto her tail and dragged her down the stairs. Twilight yelled and grabbed onto the banister. With a sharp glare, Pinkie got her to let go. Pinkie skipped down the road.

"Okay! Okay! Let me up now."

Pinkie let go and continued on. Twilight brushed herself off. They reached Sugarcube Corner in relative silence. The other girls were waiting there for them on the steps of the bakery. Pinkie smiled and skipped over faster to them.

"Hi girls! You ready to go out and have the time of your life?"

"Well, I'm still not so sure about this." Fluttershy said meekly. Pinkie pulled her arm around Flutters's shoulders.

"Don't you worry for a moment. I've got you covered." She smiled widely. "Now let's go. We've got a half hour walk to Whiterston and some makeovers to do."

"Makeovers? I think I'm perfectly dressed for the occasion." Rarity said. Of course she would say that, Pinkie thought.

"It'll be fun! We'll, or at you girls, will get to dress up in sexy clothes and breakout of your shell for once. You don't have to be yourselves tonight. You can be anyone you want to be. Sometimes," Pinkie spoke in a tone meant like a whisper, "I call my self Cherry Pie. I even where a fake cutie mark."

"A fake cutie mark? Where did you ever get one of those?" AJ bristled.

"Ha, Cherry Pie?" RD snorted in laughter. "Hmm, maybe I'll be Commander Booty tonight."

"What!?" Twilight exclaimed before falling into giggles. The rest of the girls followed in some degree of laughter.

"Come on then, Miss Booty. We need to get going." Pinkie managed to control herself. They walked toward the edge of town and onto the path to the neighboring town. They were a third of the way out when Twilight started to get nervous.

"Are you suuure we should be doing this? What if something happens? We can't all be caught in deposed."

"So your precious princess will have to get her hooves dirty for once. Will you stop worrying? We get 'in deposed' in many different ways all the time. Don't jinx yourself into worrying the whole night and jump as any noise. Nobody will be able to enjoy themselves. We'll probably kick you out to wonder the streets at night if you do."

Twilight's face blanched as she looked at her in fear. The conversation turned to laughing about the dance floor and what drinks they might try at the bar.


"Wow, you actually got them out here, eh?" Grey remarked. She smirked at the gathered crowd of mares. "Come in, come in. You might find you like what you'll about to experience."

The girl walked in warily. The bandaged mare still made them fell uncertain around her. But Pinkie skipped right up and gave her a one armed hug.

"Let's pretty them up Grey!"


Applejack finally knew what a blue ribbon pie might feel like on the table before hungry judges. She tugged at her collar as she walked through down town. Stallions and mares a like looked their way as they passed. Yep, definitely a blue ribbon pie.

The rest of the girls faired in different degrees of embarrassment. Fluttershy felt like she did during the modeling fiasco only worst. Her hair had been pulled back so she couldn't even hide behind it. Rainbow Dash walked along the road with them instead of hovering by. Twilight felt stupid. Her scowl took over what place her embarrassment would have been in. They had laughed and giggled as they dressed her in their version of 'sexy librarian'. Rarity seemed the most comfortable strangely enough. It was suspected that the 'lady' of the group would put up the most fuss yet she walked with her head held high.

Applejack rolled her eyes but was still just as confused by the mare. Pinkie and Grey lead the group down the street. Pinkie jumped and hopped around as the grey mare limped slightly. She held a sort of half smile at Pinkie's excitement. It reminded AJ of Maud. She shrugged, Well that explains it a little.

The light of the Club's sign shone brightly in the early evening. Pinkie and Grey happily greeted the bouncer out front while the rest of the group hesitated back for a moment. They looked at each other in their new outfits and make up then back at the front. Pinkie smiled so widely when she looked to them. Twilight smiled back and followed her in, as did the rest of the girls.

The place looked about how they had remembered it from before. The center stage was long and protruded out into the main floor. Round tables lined the rest of the space around the stage. An open area further from the front of the stage allowed for dancing or more tables. The bar was opposite the front door and across the open dance floor. Pinkie and Grey laughed as they dashed over to their customary table. Pinkie looked back and waved over the girls.

"I wonder who's on staff tonight? Do you think Red would give one of them a lap dance?" Grey asked Pinkie. She looked around the stage's curtained off portion. It was still too early for the show to start.

"Are you sure about Red? Why not Ten Count? I think he'll do a good job."

"Ten Count doesn't move like Red does. Yeah, he's better looking. But that doesn't make up for lack of moves. You'll see." Grey smirked. "So, who does what to get the first lap dance of the night?" She asked the girls.

"Wha..What? Oh um.." Fluttershy reacted first and quickly tried to back out of it.

"Fluttershy it is!" Grey announced.

"What! Me? I..I couldn't."

"No need to get all humble. The first dance isn't all that special. It's just the kick off point. Let's get drinks."

"That I can agree on." Applejack said, "Cider all around might be a good starter." She got up from her seat to walk to the bar. Rainbow Dash followed after her. Pinkie hoped they'll get a pitcher or two.

"I do just love those shoes. Where did you get them?" Rarity remarked to a female dancer.

"These? I got them at a swap meet then took them home for a little make over."

"You decorated them yourself?" She was mildly impressed.

"Yeah, shoes are kinda my thing. Your is nice too."

"Thank you, I'm only borrowing them from a friend but at my shop in Ponyville, I have my own custom pairs." Rarity continued to chat away with the dancer about shoes and other pieces of clothing.

Grey smirked and flagged down a male waiter. She whispered into his ear. He nodded. Fluttershy whipped her head back and forth when he started to pull her aside.

"Um, ah. Excuse me?"

"Don't worry. Ol' Grey's going to pay." He said. He then gave her a couple of paper versions of bits. Fluttershy hadn't seen anyone exchanging money so she had to guess the grey mare already had it.

Pinkie laughed as Fluttershy was being lead away. "And she thinks her face is red now!"

Twilight laughed a little as well. Pinkie turned to look at her.

"Are you ready for fun?"

"I guess. Oh hey! They're back." she said. Applejack and Rainbow carried three pitchers of cider. A waiter carried the many cups on a tray behind them.

"Hey, where's Flutters?" Rainbow asked. She set down one of the pitchers in her hooves. The other one was used to start filling the cups.

"She's in a very private meeting with Red." Pinkie said.

"Very private." Grey added.

Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

A while later, Fluttershy came back with a very red face. She settled in around the table as the stage's curtain started to rise.


It was late but they had left earlier than patrons normally would. The girls had decided to stop by Grey's place to give back all the clothes. They didn't want to be walking all the way back home dressed up like they had been.

"My hooves are killing me." Twilight complained as she entered her house. The rest of the girls grumbled in agreement.

"So, what are going to do now? This is a 'bonding' day." Rarity inquired.

"I don't know. But it should be something fun." Applejack replied.

"Let's play Truth or Dare then! That'll help us to open up more." Rainbow Dash declared.

"Yeah, that sounds like fun." Pinkie agreed.

"Okay, okay, but first let's get settled in." Twilight said.


"Okay, now. Truth or Dare?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Hmm, Truth!" Rarity replied with a grin.

"Alright then. Umm, oh! Tell us a deep dark secret."

"About what? It's kinda hard to just think up something you want to forget."

"Oh, ahh. Nevermind then. How about a dare?"

"Sure, dare!"

"Rarity, I dare you to waltz with Pinkie Pie."

"Ahh, okay then. Do you know how to waltz Pinkie?"

"Yeah! A little."

"Come here. Now hoof right here, hoof right.. here Pinkie. Good, now right foot forward. No! Right foot, not back."

They giggled as Rarity awkwardly moved around the floor with Pinkie. Rarity's smile was strained yet Pinkie didn't noticed. She was a little more interested in keeping her feet from stepping on Rarity's.

"Okay, I think we can leave that be. We can..practice later at my house if you want."

"Oh boy, really?" Pinkie grinned. Rarity's expression softened and she nodded.

"Alright then, who's next?" Rarity asked.

They were laying around in a circle in Twilight's room. The makeshift nest of pillows and blankets provided comfort from the wooden floor. Fluttershy blew on her cup of hot chocolate. A fresh pitcher of it stood on the table nearby.

"How about...Pinkie! I dare you to see how many marshmallows you can stuff in your mouth." Rainbow Dash said.

"Now just wait a moment there Dashie, I don't want to be wasting all the marshmallows. Leave some for the rest of us!" AJ said. Pinkie frowned.

"No, I don't want to eat all the extra calories anyway. Let's leave it for cubby bunny later. I'll be the ref."

"Pinkie." Twilight groaned, "Don't be like that. We're supposed to be having fun."

"We are having fun! Just no excessive sugar, alright? I don't want to gain everything back." she defended.

"Huh, fine. How about we see how many things you can fit into your mane? That'll be interesting to see!" Rainbow Dash said.

"How about no? I don't want to do that." Pinkie's mood soured.

"But Pinkie! It'll be fun. How about see what can make your Pinkie Sense go off?"

"No, no, no! I don't want that! How about a normal dare?"

"Normal? Why do you want something normal?" AJ asked.

"Maybe cause normal is nice once in a while. I want to be normal."

"You can't be normal Pinkie. You've got to love who you are. And you're far from normal."

"Have some confidence in yourself. We love how abnormal you are." Rarity said.

Pinkie screamed in annoyance at their sudden lecture, "Confidence? Love? How am I suppose to love myself when I'm always the weird one!? When I'm so different from everyone else." Pinkie jumped up from the floor and was yelling at them, "Even my own family thinks I'm a freak. They never approved of my actions or were happy about my cutie mark. And everyone in town likes to think of me as a joke! I want to be serious for a change."

"Being different is a part of life Pinkie. We don't think you're a joke, we think what you do is funny. Rest assured, being different from your family can be hard Sugarcube, but they're family. And family will want to see their own happy."

"That's your family Applejack, not mine. Everyone loves your family so much cause they're so perfect. Not all families can be so supportive and caring and stick together like they do."

"And sometimes you will never be able to understand them or they you but it doesn't mean they don't love you." Rarity started, "I know what you mean. My family is nothing like me when it come to fashion and manners. Even though they don't get me and why I'm so into high society, they still let me do it."

"It's just so hard. I just want to be able to talk to them without them constantly looking down on me or thinking I'm some stupid little girl. They don't see how serious my party planning business is. They're always trying to talk me out of it."

"My parents sometimes try to get me to come back home. They don't see the point of living on the ground with a bunch of animals. I don't mention work when I see them." Fluttershy said from behind her hair.

"I didn't know that." Rainbow Dash turned to her with surprise.

Fluttershy blushed from the attention. For a moment, she regretted speaking up. "Oh, I don't like talking about it. It's not really something to bring up. I think they worry about me. They don't want me to waste my life in a dead end job. They always ask if I have enough to eat as if I'm a pauper giving what little food I have to a mouse." she replied with a laugh at the end.

"I can only hope they are worried about me like that. That they want more for me. But I can never be sure with them. Our religion...eh their religion doesn't allow much expression of emotion. There's a lot of different restrictions on things."

"Well maybe that's it Pinkie! They care but can't show it like they want to or that maybe they don't know how to express themselves so you know they care."

"I can only hope Twilight." Pinkie said. She sat down and huffed. Twilight came over and put an arm around her, bringing her close.

"I hope too Pinkie. It not a good sigh when we've got to cheer up the Element of Laughter. You're not suppose to feel sad."

Pinkie's smile wavered. There it was again. She wasn't allowed to feel sad. How could she feel sad or down? What right did the happiest pony in town have to not be happy. It was her job. She shouldn't feel sad when there are so many other people who have it worse off. It's her duty to cheer them up and in turn, keep herself happy by seeing them happy.

"You're right Twilight, I shouldn't be feeling all gloomy like this. It's not me." Pinkie let the bitterness into her words. It's not me. It's not me. It's not me. Then who is me? That's not for me to decide.

"Pinkie." Twilight started. Pinkie shrugged off her arm.

"Nevermind. Let's just go on with the game. Truth or dare?"

"No, I want to ask you that. I want a truth from you." Twilight said determinedly.

"What! But that's not how the game goes."

"I don't care. Truth, Pinkie Pie."

"Ugh, fine. I do stuff on purpose." Pinkie said.

"What?" Rarity asked.

"Sometimes I do stuff on purpose. Like act dumb or I don't know what's going on or mess with ponies by saying weird stuff."

"You do!?"

"Well yeah, it's really funny."

"Wow, you're little evil under there." Rainbow said, poking Pinkie's head.

"What! No, I just think it's funny to see everyone over react or get confused. Especially the confused part, hehe."

"A little sadistic is more like it." RD joked.

"It's not that." Pinkie blushed.

"Hold up there Mr. J. I think we really don't give you enough credit for your wit. It seems to have gone right over our heads all this time." Rarity said with a shake of her head.

Pinkie rolled her eyes, "Right over and into 'are you stupid or crazy land'. It can really bite me in the butt when I joke around too much. But it's just so funny! No one gets it. All this time I might have been joking and they don't understand the punchline." She giggled.


Everyone was asleep by four am. It was so quiet and the air was cool. Pinkie sat on the balcony outside Twilight's room. The sky was dark with only a hint of dawn. A light breeze brushed her coat but she stayed still.

"So, had fun today? Or, yesterday I should say. Hmm, it is hard to tell. Do you consider it another day once the sun rises or after midnight?" Discord sat down next to Pinkie.

"I feel so empty inside sometimes." Pinkie stared ahead at the horizon.

"That does happen." He nodded his head.

"I always feel like I need to be filled up with... something. So often, I use the goodness of food, the happiness of laughter. Am I selfish for that? I make others laugh so I feel good. I make friends with everyone so I don't feel alone. Every corner I turn, there's somepony else I know. We smile and laugh, but then it all goes away and I'm left by myself again."

"But you're not alone now."

"Then why do I still feel this way? I grew up starving, for both food and acceptance. I still feel that need to fill the hole in anyway I can." Pinkie shook her head. "And now, I want to give up one of them but risk losing the other just so I'm not alone anymore."

He drew up her face. "You're allowed to feel sad and lonely; that's how you know the feeling of being happy. Too much of a good thing can spoil it. Why do you think I alternate which sweets I eat?" he chuckled. "Always being happy will lose its appeal. Everyday will get duller and grayer even though you're smiling. Pinkie, you want acceptance but you're unwilling to show others how you really feel."

She pulled her head away. "But how can I do both? I want to be happy and play with my friends and eat lots of good things. Do everything I couldn't do growing up! But I can't do that if I'm also sad and depressed. Sometimes, I'm able to convince myself it's just easier being a silly little girl who only knows how to party and eat cake." The tears drew lines down her face, crossing her cheeks and falling off her jaw.

"What do you want then?"

"Everything, everything and more."

"I think you can have that." She turned to look at him. Discord gave her strangely ominous look. "But all good things come with a cost. You still have to pay the register for your chocolate," He smirked. "It'll be painful, but you can have everything if you work for it. Though, I do have to warn you. Not everyone is going to accept the real you. They might never fully acknowledge that side as the real you and will be expecting you to go back to the other way. Do you think you can handle that?"

Pinkie nodded her head, "Yay, I can."

Discord smiled at her. "Now that all this serious talk is over," he said, waving his hand. "Let's go back to your place and get some rest."

Pinkie giggled. She was getting light headed from exhaustion. "My place? Why are we going to my place." she said with a raised eyebrow. Discord picked her up and flew them to Sugarcube Corner.

"Well, it just wouldn't be right of me to leave a poor, crying girl all by herself. Now would it?"

"No," she rolled her eyes, "It just wouldn't but I did have, and still have, some good friends waiting for me inside Twilight's house."

"Yes, but they are all asleep. Hmm, it's just too bad my favorite pillow it gone." he said morosely.

"Your pillow? What pillow?"

"You."

"Tsh, get used to it. Or better yet, use an actual pillow. Yay! I just realized I won't have to deal with your big head anymore." Pinkie smiled.

"Big head? Oh, you wound me."

"Good, that might help deflate it a bit."

"Ooo, a little sharp are we? I hope you're not going to be like this in bed."

"Ha! You are comical. Let's hope you're not like that in bed. I might have to kick you to the couch."

"Feisty."

They made it to the window of Pinkie's room and entered. Pinkie walked over to her dresser and used a tissue to scrub her face and blow her nose. Discord got comfortable on the bed. He made a loop with his body and settled down. Pinkie came over and climbed into the loop. He draped the blanket he had pulled off the bed over them. Pinkie used the end of his tail as a pillow. Not much else was spoken other than a quiet goodnight.

Author's Note:

It's touch and go at certain points I'll admit. I'm mostly just happy to get it all done finally. Tell me if I've missed any mistakes or what you think.