• Published 18th Jul 2013
  • 1,037 Views, 37 Comments

Fallen From The Vine - omnom19



A pegasus has no place out in the fields.

  • ...
0
 37
 1,037

The Ties That Bind

“Maybe friendship can't begin until someone chooses you. But that doesn't mean you don't get to make a choice too. You can't do that unless you know who they are. And they can't choose you until they know who you are.”
― Miyoshi Tomori

Days were slowly forged into weeks with hard work.

The hospital became Sugar’s crucible, the staff and dedicated nurses her blacksmiths. They worked tirelessly to put her back together again, make her better than she once was. Tears were shed, cups were thrown, and more importantly, progress was made.

The fallen pegasus was mended. She would fly again.

But was she really better?

The army of nurses and doctors secretly worried about the intangible hurts. The scars they couldn’t see. Ones they couldn’t fix with stiches and prescriptions. Sugar had refused to speak of what had happened the night of the crash. She had laughed it off, claiming a terrible streak of bad luck. She remained distant. She spoke not of her family, occupation, or her life previous to falling into Ponyville. However, they couldn’t keep her. Not with other disaster prone ponies to care for. So two months after she came, she went. The entire hospital wished her well, as was the Ponyville way, and delivered Sugar into the capable (?) hooves of-

“Surprise!!! Happy Get-out-of-the-hospital-yay-you’re-better-welcome-to-Ponyville Day!” A cacophony of balloons, streamers, and confetti hurtled toward the defenseless pegasus.

Sugar instinctively shielded her face with her wings. “Gosh darn it, Pinkie! What did I tell you about not doing that!?” Sugar spluttered, gently shaking out each wing. “You know how hard confetti is to get out of my feathers!”

Sugar crouched and leaped toward the mischievous earth pony. Pinkie squealed and ducked, as the pegasus vengefully tousled Pinkie’s curls. Sugar cackled as she noogied the crazy pony into submission.

However, Pinkie would always have the last laugh. Gummy heroically emerged from her mane, and CHOMPED Sugar’s nose.

Sugar immediately backpedaled away and frantically swatted at her nose. “Get him off! Bad alligator! No!”

Many bystanders chuckled and shook their heads at the sight of the pegasus, covered in glitter and confetti, going cross-eyed battling the baby alligator.

Pinkie Pie, however, was beside herself. Wiping tears from her eyes, she trotted over to the flailing pegasus, which was having a little trouble removing Gummy. As it turns out, flailing about is not very effective when it comes to nose retrieval. With a pop, Pinkie slid Gummy off of Sugar’s nose.

Sugar gratefully nodded at Pinkie. “Thanks.”

Pinkie Pie had visited Sugar every day for two months. Despite her busy schedule at the bakery and regularly saving Ponyville, she never failed to at least stop by. Pinkie brought by treats for Sugar, books, a harmonica, weekly copies of Equestria Daily, and perhaps the best of all, conversation. For a few minutes or a few hours, the two mares would chat about everything and nothing in particular.

Pinkie never again pried into Sugar’s past. Instead, Sugar learned about Ponyville. She of course knew of Nightmare Moon, but to meet the living avatar of Chaos? Discord? She heard about Pinkie’s group of extraordinary friends, some of whom she had already met. She heard stories about the meek Fluttershy, calming an enraged manticore and hostile dragon. Or Rainbow Dash who had performed the legendary Sonic Rainboom when she was only a filly. Pinkie Pie was a wealth of social knowledge and she freely gave her riches to Sugar.

They built a friendship based on stories and companionship. It was a tentative friendship, but a friendship all the same.

“Pinkie!” a voice called from the hospital door. Nurse Bandaid walked toward the pair of ponies. “May I speak with you for a minute? Sorry, Sugar, don’t mean to keep you,” he apologized. Sugar flashed a grin at the nurse and he returned it, but his smile didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“Sure thing, Bandy!” Pinkie chirped and bounded over to the stallion. The two ponies talked in hushed tones, and then Bandaid handed something to Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie stared solemnly at the pony. She considered him thoughtfully and then saluted. “Consider it done!” Pinkie declared and trotted back to where Sugar waited.

“What did he want?” Sugar asked cautiously, peering back at the retreating pony.

Pinkie Pie waved a nonchalant hoof. “Just wanted to talk about your hospital bill.”

Sugar blanched. “Oh.”

Pinkie rolled her eyes at her friend. “Don’t worry about it! The hospital knows that you’re new to Ponyville and probably won’t be able to do anything about it for a while, so they gave it to me to hold for you. They’re not unreasonable ponies, Sugar. Just, eventually, you’ll get to it. They trust you, silly!”

Sugar’s mind reeled at the thought of how much two months stay would cost. She gritted her teeth. “Then I’ll need to find work. Do you know of anypony who needs any help?”

Meanwhile, somewhere in Ponyville…

An ivory unicorn swooned on a plush velvet chaise. She was surrounded by the aftermath of a failed inspiration frenzy: bolts of fabric hastily tossed about the small room, tangles of ribbon spun around various corners of the room, and paper sketches flung haphazardly to the floor.

“How shall I ever finish all of these ornate, original, magnifique designs in three days!?” Rarity Belle lamented, stretching a hoof out to her cat who lounged on a tasseled pillow. “What am I to do?” The cat murred throatily at the distraught mare.

“Why no, Opal. I cannot just delay. One does not simply not finish work promptly. Especially not for these customers. Or for any customers!” Rarity became energized by the horrible thought of letting her customers down. She dramatically rose and triumphantly declared, “I will finish them if it’s the last thing I do!” Opal lightly hopped down from her perch and twined around Rarity’s legs, mewing encouragingly.

Rarity looked around at her destroyed work room. “Oh this won’t do!” She gently pawed a bolt of fabric and muttered to herself. “Right , so first I’ll need to just-“ Rarity’s horn lit a soft blue. She began to untangle the loops of ribbon strung around the room. Her telekinesis wavered as particularly stubborn knot refused to unhoof itself from the ceiling. Sweat beaded on Rarity’s forehead. “Not that bad really, just, a bit more- “ Rarity bit her lip and squinted. She tried to forcefully nudge the ribbon- with no success. “For Celestia’s sake!” She exclaimed, glaring at the resolute ribbon, “I will not be done in by some measly excuse for thread!” Rarity’s rising frustration was interrupted by the gentle tinkling of the bell over her front door.

Rarity took a beat to compose herself and called out, “Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique! Be with you in just a moment, darling!” She paused in front of a nearby mirror and straightened her coif which had been muffed in the earlier creative…happenings.

Moving on.

Rarity was ready.

And more importantly, she was fabulous.

With a flurry of culture and sophistication, Rarity gracefully descended the stairs to her showroom below. She observed a thin, white mare waiting just inside the door. Her loose, violet mane spilled over wings and complemented her deep purple eyes. It surprised Rarity, as she had never seen someone with quite so similar coloring before, regardless of species. Ever the sales maven, Rarity pressed onwards.

“Why hello there!” Rarity cheerfully beamed. “My name is Rarity. What brings you to my little boutique today?”

The stranger shuffled her wings and blushed. “Sorry, but I didn’t visit to buy anything. Actually, quite the opposite really. Fact is I’m new in town and I’m looking for any odd jobs, to well. It’s not important. Is there any way I could be off assistance to you, Miss Rarity?” The pegasus bowed slightly to the seamstress.

Rarity dubiously eyed the pegasus. She subconsciously noted the slight twang the mare spoke with and the tousled mane. “Well, I design and manufacture most of the clothes you see here myself, so I don’t think you’d be much help to me there. How about you tell me. What are you good at? What is your talent?”

The pegasus shifted awkwardly. “I don’t have one.” Rarity raised an eyebrow. The stranger’s tone grew more frantic. “I mean, I’m good at things! Like basic things! Give me something that needs doing and I’ll get it done. I’m a hard worker. Listen, I swear I can help.”

Rarity’s thoughts drifted to the large mess waiting for her upstairs and began to dismiss the stranger. “I’m sorry, darling, I’m just in the middle of a large order right now and I don’t think I can help you. Better luck somewhere else, dear.”

The pegasus’s shoulders slumped and turned to leave. “Thank you for your time, ma’am. Have a good day.”

“Wait!” Rarity called out. A disturbing thought dropped into her mind. The pegasus Pinkie Pie befriended. The one who fell from the sky. What if she was? “What’s your name?”

The mare blinked. “Sugar, ma’am. Why?”

Rarity’s mouth slackened. “Pinkie’s friend.”

Sugar paused and cautiously answered “Yes? What about her?”

Rarity rushed the unsuspecting mare and embraced her. “Forgive me for being so utterly self-centered. So blind! Who could you be aside from the nice mare I’ve heard about from Pinkie? Oh, I have been positively stupid.” Rarity grimaced and rubbed her eyes with a free hoof.

“But I am very busy though, I do get so caught up, you see. However, now is a good a time as ever to break for some tea. You will take tea with me, yes? Despite my terribly uncouth behavior?” The unicorn’s blue eyes earnestly searched Sugar’s own.

Sugar carefully separated herself and smiled at Rarity.

“No, thank you.”

“Excuse me?” Rarity stuttered. “I did hope that we could give it another go. However, I will not impose my-” Rarity drifted off as Sugar started to laugh. “My dear?”

Sugar’s eyes glittered with amusement as she grinned at the unicorn. “You said you were busy. And like I said, I’m sure I can be useful. Try me, Miss Rarity. I might surprise you.”

Rarity took a closer look at the pegasus. Her coat was lightly dusted with mostly healed scars, their silvery tissue blending in with the white of coat. Muscles once taut had grown soft in the hospital, but they were there. Her cutie mark, a bunch of grapes, seemed out of place with a pegasus. The violet eyes were surrounded with crinkles, her face sprinkled with a smattering of freckles. Her mouth, still stretched in a confident grin, bore other laugh lines. Maybe she could…

“You already have, darling.” Rarity sighed and smiled back at Sugar. “Tea later then?”

Sugar winked. “Now you’ve got it.”

Rarity went to the door and flipped the sign from OPEN to CLOSED. She then led Sugar up the stairs to the wreckage of her inspiration room. “Actually, I’m having some trouble with a particularly determined piece of ribbon…perhaps you’ll have better luck…..”

Author's Note:

This chapter is brought to you by Pandora, Starbucks, and Procrastination.