• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 2,224 Views, 62 Comments

The Pony Dialogues - Knowledge



An ancient changeling from a far away land settles in Equestria with zir adoptive daughter. What does the outsider see?

  • ...
18
 62
 2,224

PreviousChapters Next
Missing Shade of Red 2.7: Helping and Being Helped

The horsefly walked passed the restaurant, through the flower district, and into the marketplace all covered in a fresh coat of pink primer. A pony had kindly told Ever that the library would that way. Ever was glad that pony had treated zir more nicely based on the previous mistreatment ze received before the calm spell.

In the marketplace, Ever sense someone in pain. I hope that wasn't my fault. Ever went to investigate and found that some pony injured on a roof. She must have fallen unconscious while flying because of my spell and landed here.

As Ever approached the source of the pain, ze also noticed that this pony held immense power. Enough power that if this pony had panicked, which seemed to be the case, it would have cause the calm spell to overload and explode, which also seemed to be the case.

Knowing that the pony was unconscious, Ever picked up the pony very carefully. The pony was no heavyweight like the earth pony, which is what Ever selfishly noticed first. The next difference was that this pony had both wings and a horn, which ze had not been expecting at all. Finally, ze noticed that the mare's left wing was severely broken and if she did not get to a hospital fast, she might lose it.

"Can anyone help me bring this pony to a hospital?" Ever called out.

The whole marketplace shifted their attention back to the horsefly for the second time that day. Ever shifted uncomfortably under their intense attention.

"Let me help you," called one pony.

"I can get you right there," said another.

"That looks bad. I make an icebag from what I have here," said yet another.

Ever could hardly believe the shift in attitude the ponies were giving to zir. The horsefly followed what felt to be half of the village's population to the hospital on the edge of town. Along the way, all them commented on how nice ze was being and asked who ze was and how they had never seen a non-equine like zir using unicorn magic.

Life was really looking up when a rainbow blur descended on the horsefly. "What happened to my friend?"

Ever maintained zir telekinesis because of their sheer amount years of discipline the horsefly had. "She is hurt."

Rainbow saw the hospital ahead and heard her fellow ponies wondering why she had assaulted the poor non-equine. "Ah he he he," the athlete mare tried to laugh it off as a joke. Then she refocused her attention at the horsefly. "I am watching you bub. Just because you can fool all these villagers with that disguise of yours, doesn't mean you can fool me. By the way, that disguise sucks. You don't even look like a pony."

Ever was really confused. I am not wearing a disguise, unless... The horsefly clicked zir hollow teeth in an equivalent to a facehoof. They think I am a nice person because I have this bright pink coat of paint on me. Do they really believe the color of someone can tell them if they are mean or nice?

The group finally reached the hospital and hoofed the injured, unconscious mare to the doctors for immediate treatment. A nurse asked about what had happened and Ever was the one who could answer. "I did not see what happened but I have a good guess. I found her on a roof, flying directly where my calm spell was building. She had a panic attack, which caused my calm spell to breakdown, but more importantly, it caused my calm spell to make her fall unconscious, which caused her to have a terrible landing on said roof."

The nurse wrote down what had been said. "Okay, it was an honest mistake. If we need more information about this calm spell, where can I contact you."

"I will be in the Everfree Forest tonight in a mountain a dozen or so kilometers in. There is a cave atop of that. Tomorrow I will be moving residences to Sweet Apple Acres."

Rainbow Dash watched the whole exchange carefully, and when Ever had started walking away from the hospital and the crowd dispersed, she began her interrogation.

"I find it hard to believe that you, a changeling, didn't hurt Twilight on purpose. Why did you cast it in the first place?"

Ever flapped zir wings slowly in a groan. "Because ponies were panicking and hurting themselves around me and you had foalnapped my daughter. I responded in the way I thought would lead to least amount of harm for everyone. It is unfortunate that the spell caused your friend to get hurt."

"I remember that," Rainbow said rubbing her chin. "So you are not evil?"

"No, I am not evil."

"You are not going to Twilight's library so you can try to pretend to be her and feed on the love of her friends?"

"I am not that kind of horsefly, uh changeling."

"Then why are you going to Twilight's library, then?" Rainbow Dash asked, still skeptical.

"I had no idea that the pony I had hurt and brought to the hospital would be Twilight, the pony who wrote the book I need to get because I am moving to Ponyville. It was all a big coincidence."

The cyan pegasus wanted to distrust the changeling but she was finding it difficult. "A coincidence, huh. Well, I guess I owe you an apology then. I am sorry, uh whatever you name is."

"Ei Rikr or Ever Ruler, either is fine. I think I remember telling you my name, though."

"I forgot. Anyways, I am sorry, Ever."

Ever flew up to Rainbow's level. It wasn't easy because of the books the saddlebag ze was wearing, but ze did it. The changeling said nothing, but instead extended a hoof in Rainbow's general direction. Rainbow was unsure what to do until she assumed it was some kind of shake. She gingerly put her own hoof against that of the changeling, still somewhat worried that it might be some trick.

Ever gripped the hoof tightly, pulled Rainbow into a surprisingly strong embrace, kissed her cheek, and said into her ear, "Peace, my sister, you are forgiven. Now you can learn and overcome your mistake." Ever held the mare there for only a few seconds so that what ze said to sink in. Then ze released her.

"Huh, what?" she said as she dropped a few feet before regaining control of her flying.

The horsefly just fluttered gaily down Mane Street, going to where the Golden Oaks Library would be. Rainbow followed along, curious at what the stranger would do. Plus, she didn't have anything to do that day anyway unless some random storm blew in from the Everfree.

PreviousChapters Next