• Published 14th Nov 2011
  • 6,169 Views, 113 Comments

A Cry Left Unheard - BrainLapse



When it all builds up, who's there to pick up the pieces?

  • ...
8
 113
 6,169

Falling Apart

Rainbow Dash was worried. She had been flying home earlier today when she saw Fluttershy running from Sweet Apple Acres. The tears running from her eyes worried her even more. What in Equestria had her worked up? Rainbow Dash realized that she was sometimes hard on the gentle pegasus she had known since foalhood, but never to the point of tears. Sure, they had not seen eye to eye all the time, but Fluttershy always seemed to be there. Whenever the cyan pegasus needed a shoulder to cry on, or somepony to give her the support that she needed, Fluttershy was there. She had never asked the pastel pony to do any of that for her; Fluttershy had done that out of the kindness of her heart. She was all that Dash needed in a pony.

The cyan pegasus watched as her friend ran until she was out of sight. Her curiosity peaked, Rainbow flew down to Sweet Apple Acres to find out what had sent Fluttershy running. As she got closer, she saw Applejack bucking a few apple trees in the fields. Rainbow Dash flew down, figuring that Applejack would know the reason on why the gentle mare had gone running. As she landed, the orange pony greeted her.

"Howdy, Rainbow, what can Ah do for ya?" the earth pony asked. She was smiling, but it didn't quite reach her eyes, like something had just ruined her appetite. Although Rainbow was curious about what aggravated Applejack, she was more worried about Fluttershy. Taking a deep breath, the pegasus spoke.

"Well, I was just flying over the town when I saw Fluttershy running away from the farm. I was just wondering if you had any idea on what would cause her to do that. Did you find a dead animal or something?" Rainbow Dash asked. As she finished, Applejack had dropped the smile. She now had a deadpan expression and was clearly not pleased to have whatever had happened between the two.

"That mare jus' ain't right. She came her talkin' to me bout her likin' me in some romantic manner. Ya know it ain't natural for two mares or stallions to be in a relationship. It’s just wrong," the orange pony stated with that same deadpanned expression. Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped. She could not believe that the pony she had known for years thought that way. Not to mention saying something so cruel to one the sweetest ponies in Ponyvile. Rainbow Dash turned away to quickly compose herself, shaking her head as she tried and get rid of the thoughts that raced through her mind. She quickly turned back to Applejack, staring her down.

“AJ, you’ve got to be kidding me with this! Fluttershy is a sweet pony. Sure, she might like other mares, but there is nothing wrong with that!” Rainbow Dash stated while trying to keep her anger down. Surely the orange earth pony must be joking about this. But Applejack did not look like she was telling a joke, if anything she seemed even more steadfast about it.

“Rainbow, somethin’ is wrong with that mare! It don’t matter what she’s done if she’s gone ‘round trickin’ everypony into trustin’ her, just so she can corrupt our minds!” Applejack said, looking Rainbow Dash straight in the eye, the conviction set on her face. Rainbow Dash’s jaw dropped at this. Fluttershy, innocent, sweet Fluttershy, trying to corrupt anypony was an outlandish idea. Rainbow Dash found the whole idea so crazy that she would of laughed, thinking that it was a prank, if it wasn’t for the look in Applejack’s eyes. It was a look of certainty, one that dare Rainbow Dash to challenge her.

“AJ, seriously? Fluttershy, the pony who hasn’t got an evil bone in her body, trying to corrupt us all? You’ve got to be kidding me about this!” The cyan pegasus stated her total disbelief to the mare in front of her. Applejack just shook her head, tutting, before she looked up at Rainbow Dash with the one emotion that she was not prepared for.

Pity. Rainbow had expected anger, sadness, relief. Anything but pity. This made Rainbow Dash tilt her head to the side, wondering why in Equestria the farm pony was pitying her.

“It seems like that monster has tricked you too. Ah’m not surprised, considerin’ yew and her have known each other for so long. But don’t worry Sugarcube. I took care of that disgusting beast. I told her how wrong she was, how she would be better off dead then destroyin’ the land we live in with her unnatural thoughts. Don’t ya worry Rainbow Dash. Ah’ll set yer head right once again.” Applejack said while looking Rainbow strait in the eye, her arrogance making Rainbow Dash shake with rage. Of all the insensitive things that could be said to Fluttershy, this one topped the cake.

“Applejack, how could you treat your friend like that, after all she’s done for all of us? How could you be so heartless?” Rainbow Dash asked the earth pony, confused and angered by what she had just heard.

“She ain’t our friend Rainbow, she’s a sick monst--” But Rainbow Dash had heard enough. She whipped around and bucked the orange earth pony with all her might, her anger fueled by the words being said about her longest friend. The kick caught Applejack right in the jaw, knocking her onto her haunches, and dazing her for a few moments. She quickly got back onto her hooves and lunged at the cyan pegasus, knocking them both to the ground. They rolled around, throwing jabs at any opportunity to land a hit against the other mare. After a few moments Applejack wound up on the bottom and bucked Rainbow Dash straight into the air, where she hovered for a few moments. After wiping some blood off her face, the orange earth pony spat at the pegasus.

“Ah just don’t understand why in Equestria you’re defending that fillyfooler. She ain’t nothin’ but a sin against the world we live in,” Applejack said between ragged breaths. Rainbow Dash just glared down at the earth pony below her. Rainbow Dash was starting to feel the aches of the tussle already setting in, her back hurting from all the rolling the two mares had done. Deciding it wasn’t worth the time to fight with the orange mare anymore, Rainbow flew to her cloud home, leaving a beaten up and angry earth pony behind, cusses being shouted behind her. When she reached her home, she slowly retreated to her bedroom, collapsing into her bed. She fell asleep quickly, but it was not to last, because a few hours later, she woke up after dreaming about her fight with Applejack, how the two had fought after she had thought that they were some of the best of friends.

Rainbow Dash froze, as she remembered the pegasus that the fight had been about. Suddenly, she took off, deciding to check on Fluttershy. As she flew the more she thought about the gentle pony. If Fluttershy had such a problem with simple statements, Rainbow Dash couldn’t imagine how the pastel pony would react to having her heart broken in such a cruel manner. This worried the cyan pegasus even more, causing her to pick up more and more speed.

She quickly reached the pegasus’ house. As she landed, she looked through Fluttershy’s windows, hoping to see her. Rainbow Dash saw the mare, but she had a rope around her neck. To the cyan mare’s horror, Fluttershy stopped flying, letting her body fall to the ground, the noose applying pressure to the mare’s neck. This caused the weatherpony outside to stop, the pure shock of what her friend was doing rendering her body incapable of moving. Eventually Rainbow Dash realized what exactly was happening, causing her to spring into action.

Rainbow Dash crashed through the door, flying straight for Fluttershy’s now limp body. She grabbed the unconscious mare, taking the noose off as she flew. She began to panic, trying to figure out what she could do to save her friend. She checked her pulse, and found a shallow heart beat, a sign that her friend was still alive, if barely. She gently shook the mare in her hooves, calling Fluttershy’s name with tears in her eyes, but there was no response. Rainbow Dash’s panic rose. She hit Fluttershy on the cheek, seeing if that might shock her awake, but no such luck. On the verge of a mental breakdown, the cyan pegasus picked up Fluttershy’s limp body and left the cottage. She flew to the hospital. As soon as Rainbow reached the hospital, and she flew down to the entrance, crashing through the door, tears in her eyes.

“Please, somepony, help her! PLEASE!” Rainbow Dash shouted, tears streaming down her face, as she looked around the waiting room frantically. She collapsed to the floor, shouting for help. The doctors glared at the pony who had disrupted the peace of the waiting room, until they saw the injured pony on her back. The hospital staff jumped into action, immediately rushing to Fluttershy’s aid, taking her from the cyan pegasus’s care. Once Fluttershy was wheeled away on a gurney, Rainbow Dash broke down on the spot, her body shaking as she cried. Her friend had looked so lifeless as she was raised onto the gurney that it hurt.

Eventually the staff managed to console the panicked pegasus. After a few moments of being calmed, the staff talked to Rainbow Dash, trying to figure out what caused her to bring her friend to the hospital in the first place. When they found out what Rainbow Dash had seen, the staff surprised to discover that a pony that was known for her respect towards all things living, would try and take her own life. After a few hours in the waiting room, a doctor came and told Rainbow Dash that she could see her friend, but that she would not be conscious for some time, as Fluttershy had suffered some damage to her neck from the suicide attempt. Rainbow Dash silently nodded, and followed the doctor to Fluttershy’s room.

As she walked in, she noticed how lifeless the pastel pony looked. In reality, she looked more like a doll than a living pony. Rainbow Dash slowly crossed the room, taking a seat beside the pony in the hospital bed. Her exhaustion slowly took over though, and she fell asleep in the chair by her friend, whispering three words before she fell asleep. “ Why Fluttershy? Why?”