• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 2,742 Views, 53 Comments

Trixie Has A Problem - Navi



Trixie returns to Twilight with yet another problem for her to fix, only this little mishap turns out to be much more serious than it first appears to be.

  • ...
9
 53
 2,742

Chapter 1

The library clock struck ten - that is, ten o’clock in the morning - as Twilight Sparkle swigged and finished her third cup of coffee. Unaware or rather unfazed by the fact that almost every other person in Ponyville were still lying in their beds snoozing at this point, the librarian continued to sift through books and their corresponding papers at the dinner table in the foyer as she enjoyed a bite of toast in between each tome’s examination. It was Sunday, and although everybody else would be out and about enjoying their day off in a short while, Twilight had planned to sort through the backlog of book borrowing she had let build up in the past week due to chipping in and helping Applejack with the construction of a new ranch for the farm.

Twilight held the remains of the last piece of toast in her mouth and huffed as she clutched a release form in one hand, scouring the table for its corresponding book with no success. Adding it to the growing pile besides her, she let out a grunt of disapproval, thinking ahead to the tedium of chasing down all of the missing entries around the town.

“Maybe Spike can do it… it’ll sure get things done faster,” she mumbled and convinced herself, not wanting to move away from the comfort of her chair, nor the small, organized book fortress she had constructed around herself.

On cue, the floorboards of the stairs began to let out gentle creaks, descending with care one by one from the very top. Upon reaching the bottom, a soft padding replaced the sound, growing closer to Twilight. Her ear twitched as one of the pads faltered into an audible groan, followed by a sharp gasp of anger, before the careful movements continued all the way up to the welcome mat at the front door.

“Good thing you’re going out, Spike, I have a job for you,” Twilight chirped without breaking her concentration, feigning ignorance as her assistant hung his head and heaved a sigh, though she was fully aware that a large black cloud had just formed above his head.

“Twiliiiight!” Spike whined and flung his arms skyward. “You know that I go to the spa to relax on Sundays! RE-LAX!”

“Only to relax? So you’ve finally given up on Rarity?” Pairing another form with its book, Twilight smirked as she poked a little fun at Spike, she didn’t even need to look to know that his light, rounded face had begun to glow red with a mixture of embarrassment and irritation. He opened his mouth to retort, only to realise that either yes or no would yield further teasing.

“What is it?” he asked begrudgingly, shoving his hands into his pockets and kicking at the floor mat before shuffling over to Twilight.

“Take this pile of papers with you, all you have to do is look at the names on the top and ask them for the books they need to return when you see them.” Twilight just being able to point out the key information, Spike swiped the papers from the table and made his way over to the door once more, pounding the floor with each step like a rebellious teenager, though not quite there yet in age, it was certainly coming through. Turning the handle and cracking the door open, he paused and glanced back under his steep frown.

“Sure thing,” he growled. His viewpoint changing, Spike found himself being swept along as the door flung wide open, and before even being able to register what was happening, he was flattened against the wall with a loud crash and a yelp.

“Twilight!” a shrill voice cried, barging its way into the Library. Peering over her reading glasses, Twilight made a slow, drawn out glance over to the door, looking upon a familiar witch dressed in dark blue trousers, an azure waistcoat overlapping a cuffed white shirt, and a token purple hat and cape decorated with scattered stars.

The edge of her mouth wrinkling into a smirk, Twilight looked back down at the book in her hands and slipped her fingers in between the cover and its first page, sliding it open to observe the full title.

“How far did you get this time?” she teased at her magical acquaintance who was standing in the doorway with a look of deep, penetrating horror on her face. Twilight had seen this look too many times in the past few days since their incident with the evil amulet that had passed a mere week before to be bothered by it. Trixie had attempted with astounding perseverance to travel beyond the boundaries of Ponyville four times since the duel, and four times she had returned to the Library with a problem for the librarian to fix. It was kind of adorable, actually, Twilight thought to herself. Trixie’s mouth hung open without words as she was interrupted, scrunching her face up to help swallow her embarrassment and speak once more.

“Th-the ‘Now Leaving’ sign of the next town… but that is not important!” she squealed, a few wavers and cracks sneaking their way into her trembling speech. Rolling her eyes with a grin, Twilight closed the tome and laid it on the desk, waving her hand to beckon Trixie over. Stepping into the Library, she moved with surprising urgency over to the table, adopting a stance that came as a shock even to Twilight. Her posture had always been proud and pronounced, no matter what, on and off stage, even with the past few problems she’d ran back with, nothing had daunted Trixie’s flamboyancy. Nothing until now at least, as the quaking witch stood with her legs bent inwards, hands together, twiddling her thumbs, bearing a never-before-seen look of innocent fear in her enlarged pupils.

“Oh no, Trixie, what in the world is the matter?” Sensing that Trixie was truly terrified, Twilight realised it was no longer a good idea to make jokes and laugh, instead wrangling a spare chair with a flick of her finger and gesturing for her friend to take a seat. An unexpected feeling came across Twilight as she described Trixie as her friend in her head, it wasn’t wrong per se, it was just odd to think that when it came down to it, there was something more than a simple acquaintanceship between the two.

Even when sat, Trixie was unable to control her shaking to the point that Twilight could not stand to see it, reaching over and taking her friend’s hands in her own for reassurance. Trixie’s frown did not bend into a smile as Twilight had hoped, but she did calm down a significant amount and ceased chattering the chair legs against the hardwood floor.

“Take it nice and easy, and tell me what happened from the very beginning,” – Twilight slid her fingers in between Trixie’s and began performing a gentle rubbing motion to help set her at ease – “we have all day, okay?”

“Well…” – Trixie started, Twilight having no idea what she was about to get into – “Tr-Trixie thinks she woke up at about eight, and had a couple of blackberries for breakfast.”

“Not thaaat far back- Wait, all you had to eat was a few berries?”

“Little black ones, they didn’t really taste that good, or fill Trixie up at all.” Throwing her head down, Twilight sighed and stifled a giggle as Trixie frowned down at her stomach, it grumbling back up at her. The librarian recomposed herself, took a sharp breath, and looked back up at a perplexed, silent Trixie.

“What I meant was what happened to you to make you so scared?” Twilight having clarified, Trixie looked away to the ceiling and gawped as she fast-forwarded in her mind.

“Well…” – She began once more – “Trixie left Ponyville pretty early so Trixie could get to the next town before dinner time and try and drum up a crowd and earn some money for food today but when Trixie got into the town there was already a performer there, a magician like Trixie but clearly not as talented, so she was about to start her own show when Trixie went up to her and asked her who she was, she refused to tell Trixie and told Trixie to stay around for the show to find out and then asked Trixie who she was, so Trixie told her that she was the Great and Powerful Trixie but then she scoffed at Trixie and called Trixie a nobody, so Trixie –”

Stopping before revealing her stupidity, Trixie bit her own lip to silence herself as Twilight raised a single eyebrow and gave a subtle pout, leaning back and withdrawing her comforting grasp to fold her arms.

“So Trixie what?” She glowered at the showgirl who had withdrawn into her seat under the powerful, judgemental gaze of Twilight Sparkle.

“T-Trixie might have p-pushed her, quite gently.” Trixie’s feeble voice grew quieter the more she said whilst Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Oh Trixie… so what did she do?”

“That callous bi- witch cackled at Trixie, laughed right in her face, Twilight! She told Trixie she was nothing, and that nobody would miss her if she were to disappear… then she said maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad idea and cast some kind of spell on Trixie!” Throwing away her fear for a moment, Trixie found enthusiasm from somewhere and had risen out of her seat, planted her hands on Twilight’s knees, and was invading the librarian’s very personal space whilst looking her dead in the eyes, hoping she would believe her.

Twilight’s brow levelled out as she wiggled her pinkie, tugging Trixie backwards and out of her face. Looking up and down, she could see absolutely nothing wrong with Trixie’s body, and nothing in their interactions had suggested adverse effects of any kind in her speech or mind, nothing drastically out of the ordinary for Trixie anyway. In the last few days, it had been all sorts ranging from scaly skin to green hair. For the most part, they were self-inflicted problems Trixie had caused practicing her magic behind bushes and in ditches that she could not fix herself.

“Sooo, what kind of spell is it?” Twilight queried, certain that Trixie had overreacted to the apparent empty insults of this mystery magician, especially if the unknown showgirl possessed a magic level anything like Trixie’s. Twilight opened her mouth to say this, but clamped her jaw shut after thinking about it. As she finished looking Trixie over, Twilight stood up and waited for a response that never came.

“What is it then?” Growing impatient, Twilight snapped and folded her arms. She was about to yell when she realised that Trixie was looking up at her hat, her lip fumbling, which in turn made her realise Trixie had not removed it when she had entered, yet had taken off her cape and laid it on the back of the chair.

Her hands quivering, Trixie took a good long while to lift them up towards the rim of her wizard’s hat. Reaching about half way, she gasped and nearly jumped out of her skin as she felt Twilight’s gentle grip around her wrists.

“Let me,” speaking softer than any angel, even Fluttershy herself, Twilight gave a demure smile and Trixie returned a timid nod. Taking hold of the brim, the librarian lifted with the utmost care, not knowing whatever might lie beneath, it might have been some sort of sensitive throbbing, or perhaps even some shy magical familiar tethered to Trixie that was hiding.

“Oh!” Twilight shrieked and tossed the hat away upon fully removing it, Trixie’s face exposing her reaction to someone finally having seen as it turned and radiated an even brighter shade of red. It was odd that she hadn’t noticed before, Twilight thought to herself in her brief moment of shock, that Trixie’s ears were not where they should have been, on the sides of her head beneath the hat, helping to hold it up. Rather, two long, furry blue ovals, rounded into points at the tip unfurled themselves, reaching high above Trixie’s luscious silvery hair, one giving a twitch as they stood with prominence atop her head.

Author's Note:

First fic, be gentle x.x.