• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 932 Views, 16 Comments

Waiting on the Moon - ScientistTrixie



Everypony knows the old foals tale of Nightmare Moon. How in a sudden fit of jealousy, Luna tried to overthrow her sister, Celestia. Only one pony knows the true story behind the fable. My name is Luna, and this is my story.

  • ...
1
 16
 932

Humble Beginnings

The sun shone brightly as a small blue filly poked her head out of a small cave opening. She glanced around carefully, a large grin spreading across her face as she stealthily emerged from the cave, her steps muffled by the grass below her hooves.

She came to the edge of the small clearing, tilting her head over the side as she looked down the steep mountain. Far below her she could make out the speck of a village, a village she knew contained Earth ponies. She crouched down tight, her tongue sticking out between her lips as she leapt into the air, her stubby wings held out at her sides.

She glided down the mountain, her mane blowing in the wind whipping past her, her face screwed up in concentration. She spotted her destination, a grin on her face as she tilted her wings. She glided toward a large oak tree, her hooves scraping the ground as she drifted into the shade of the leafy tree. She yelped as her hooves caught on the ground, her rear end sailing over her face as she rolled head over hoofs.

She pushed herself onto her haunches, putting her hooves on her head as her eyes spun dizzily. She shook her head, blinking slowly as she huffed, using her hooves to dust the dirt off her coat. She frowned at the ground, her tiny wings buzzing loudly as she lifted herself to her hooves. She turned, her tail flicking irritatedly as she stomped toward the tree she passed a moment before.

She stepped close to the tree, rearing up onto her rear legs as she steadied herself with her forelegs. She groaned quietly as she focused, squeezing her eyes tightly as her horn sparked erratically, before glowing a deep cobalt blue, humming lightly. Her tongue once again wormed it's way out of her mouth as she slowly rose into the air, a cobalt glow appearing around her body.

She lifted herself to the lowest tree limb, scrambling frantically with her forelegs as she sought purchase on the tree's bark. She pulled herself into the tree, a relieved smile on her face as she crouched down, her back leg's pushing off as she jumped to the limb above her.

Before long, the mare had ascended the large tree, until the filly sat on a large branch hidden amongst the leaves at the top of the tree. She relaxed on the large branch, a tired sigh escaping her lips as she rested her head on her hooves, her eyes locked on the village below the small outcropping her tree sat upon.

Below her, the village already showed signs of activity. Smoke curled lazily out of several different cottages, and some of the earlier rising Earth ponies had already gathered their crops for the day. Several ponies were heading to a small stage in the center of the village, small baskets of crops set securely upon their backs.

She stiffened suddenly, her coat standing on end as a soft giggle sounded from above her. She hesitated for a moment, torn between making a break for it and facing the pony above her. She sighed after a moment, slowly lifting her head off her hooves as she looked to the limb above her.

“Luna... I thought we agreed you wouldn't come so close to the ponies anymore?” Celestia smiled down smugly at her younger sister, an eyebrow raised as she stretched her hooves out lazily.

Luna stared at her in shock for a moment, before her expression shifted to a light glare. She turned away from her sister, ignoring the swaying of the limb above her as Celestia giggled once again.

"As you can see, sister, I am nowhere near the ponies," Luna said, emphasizing her point with a wave of her hoof. “We are merely enjoying a lazy day in this comfortable tree.” Luna said, curling up into a comfortable ball as she rolled onto her back. She closed her eyes, ignoring her sister’s presence as she softly hummed to herself.

Celestia shot her an exasperated, yet amused look. A chuckle escaped her lips as she shook her head at her younger sister’s antics. Her smile faded as she turned her attention to the Earth pony village in the distance.

“I know you want to help them, Luna,” she spoke softly, her eyes returning to give her sister an understanding smile. “But mother has forbidden us from interfering with them directly. It would be wise of us to listen to her.”

Luna opened her mouth to protest, her words dying in her throat as Celestia shot her a steely gaze. Luna lowered her gaze to the ground below them, sighing quietly.

“I know 'Tia... I just...,” She hesitated, turning her head to the village once more. “Just look at them.” Celestia cocked her head for a moment, before turning her focus to the village. She studied the Earth ponies for a moment, studying the primitive cloaks and tunics they wore as they went about their day.

“They go through their lives, constantly working their fields for food. They live each day not knowing if they're going to be attacked, or if a disaster is going to wipe them out. In the winter, they freeze and starve.” Her voice wavered, before Luna took a deep breath steadying herself once more. Celestia glanced at in Luna in surprise, not expecting her sisters reaction. “In the summer, they beg for rain from the Pegasi, and daytime from the Unicorns.”

Luna turned away from the village, her mane falling in front of her eyes. She moved her hair away with her hoof, her eyes sparkling with unshed tears and a frown set upon her muzzle.

“I want to help them! We could help them with the weather, and together I know we could help them control the sun!” She said, her tail flicking behind her. “We could help them live a better life 'Tia!” She smiled ecstatically at Celestia, her grin fading as Celestia stared at her. She slumped in on her self as Celestia slowly shook her head.

“I'm sorry, Lulu. I know you just want to help them but mother is right. If we did help them, she would be very cross with us when she returned.” Celestia said, her voice tender yet firm.

Luna scoffed. “We both know she will not return...” She mumbled, her ears laid back as Celestia scolded her.

“Luna! Do not say such things,” Celestia said, her voice hardened angrily. “Mother will return! She has to...she promised...” Celestia said, the anger in her voice slowly dissolving into uncertainty. She shook her head as she refocused on Luna.

“It matters not. You have little control of your magic, and I...” She hesitated for a moment. “I am not powerful enough to move the sun by myself.”

Luna scowled at the limb below her, her brow furrowed in anger. She fumed silently, grinding her teeth together angrily.

“Come along Luna. We should return to the cave. It is almost time for lunch.” Celestia said, rubbing her hoof through Luna's mane. Luna shook her hoof off her, sitting down stubbornly, scooting further down the limb and out of her sisters reach.

Celestia opened her mouth to scold the filly when a loud commotion rose from the village below them. They turned away from each other to stare at the village. Celestia gasped at what she saw, while Luna yelled in surprise.

In the heart of the village, Earth ponies had gathered baskets of food and placed them on the stage in the center of the small village. They stood feet from the baskets, exchanging a heated conversation with a pegasi floating above the baskets of food. Behind the lead pegasi hovered five other pegasus, each wearing a sleek helmet that matched the color of their tunics.

The lead pegasi darted forward suddenly, waving a hoof in the face of the largest of the Earth ponies. He poked the stallion in the chest, lowering his head to scream into the pony’s face. The Earth pony took a step back, glancing at the ponies behind him before returning his gaze to the pegasi.

He stared at the pegasus for a moment, shaking his head as he flipped is mane out of his eyes. He darted forward suddenly,his wide hoof wrapping around the pegasus’ neck as he slammed him into the ground with an audible thud.

“Nooo!” Luna screamed, her eyes wide as the pegasus crumbled to the ground. She crouched down, her tail twitching as she jumped out of the tree, her wings fluttering at her side. She screamed as she froze in midair, a golden hue surrounding her suddenly. She twisted in the air, her eyes darting to her sister.

Celestia stood on the branch, her legs tense as she stared at the village. She turned wordlessly, her wings stretching out beside her as she took to the skies, her wings beating as they headed further up the mountain, back toward their cave.

Luna fought, tears streaming down her face as she futilely twisted and struggled against the magic surrounding her. She screamed and yelled, pounding against the field around her with her hooves.

“Luna...calm down. We cannot help them.” Celestia said, her voice low as she landed just outside of the cave. She trotted inside, levitating the struggling filly behind her. Luna stopped fighting as the magic released her, her hooves scrambling as she stood and glared at her sister.

“You do not know that. We could have stopped them... We could have showed them they don't have to fight,” Luna said, stomping her hoof in anger. She darted forward, heading for the opening of the cave.

“No!” Celestia shouted, her horn flaring as a barrier appeared in the doorway, blocking the exit. “You will never go near these ponies again. They are violent, unpredictable creatures. I will not lose you to them!” she screamed, glaring at her sister angrily. “Now go wash up! It’s time for lunch.” She turned away from Luna, glaring at the walls as she stomped out of the room and into the small kitchen.

Luna stared at her sister, her mouth opening and closing as she snorted in anger. She turned, her tail flicking behind her as she trotted, her hooves echoing through the cave. She passed through the hollowed out room that functioned as their living room, ignoring her sister standing in the room they used as their kitchen. Just past the kitchen sat two simple doors, cutting their bedrooms off from the rest of the cave.
She pulled her door open, ignoring the frustrated call from her sister. She stepped into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her with a loud bang. She stared at her room, her eyes sweeping over the crude decorations as she trotted toward her mat they used as beds. A shelf held the few belongings she cared for, and a small globe of magic provided the room’s only illumination.

She threw herself onto her bed, angrily picking at the loose hay with her horn. She glared at the far wall, her eyes seeing through the cave, far into the distance. She knew it would make her sister angry, but soon she would find a way to help the ponies, with or without her sister’s help.

Author's Note:

I decided not to go with an High Middle English speech, mainly because I do not think I could write an entire stories worth of speaking like that, but also because I do not want to make my readers have to decipher the speech!

(Thanks to Rustling Leaves for the correction!)