• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 929 Views, 16 Comments

Waiting on the Moon - ScientistTrixie



Everypony knows the old foals tale of Nightmare Moon. How in a sudden fit of jealousy, Luna tried to overthrow her sister, Celestia. Only one pony knows the true story behind the fable. My name is Luna, and this is my story.

  • ...
1
 16
 929

Change in the Weather

The weeks passed quickly, and before Luna knew it, the summer heat gave way to the freezing cold. The trees lost their leaves, their bare limbs weighed down with heavy snow. Snow and ice whipped through the air, the wind roaring loudly outside the entrance of their home.

Luna stood quietly, gazing out of the cave entrance sullenly. Her mane whipped around behind her in the wintry gale, her eyes studying the frozen mountainside. She glanced around her as her sister called out to her, her ears swiveling behind her.

"Luna? Lunch is ready!”

Luna tore her eyes away from the snowbanks outside, her tail flicking behind her as she trotted into the cave. She entered the kitchen, her expression softening as she saw the small meal Celestia had prepared.

She trotted toward the table, her tail sweeping below her as she sat down. She glanced at their lunch, her eyes sweeping over the collected greens and vegetables her sister had gathered. Celestia sat across from her, a smile on her face as she munched away on a juicy carrot.

They ate silently, each lost in their own thoughts. Luna stared at the open seat between them; the place her mother once used to eat with them. She frowned, her mind drifting to the few remaining memories she possessed of her mother. She remembered a beautiful mare, golden hair that sparkled in the morning light, and a smile that never left her face. She remembered a kind pony, a mare that could sing her way into any animal’s heart. She would go out of her way to help any animal in need, albeit rabbit or bear.

She blinked irritatedly, forcing tears away from her eyes as she remembered the day her mother left...

“Luna!”

Luna blinked, her eyes darting to meet Celestia's clearly agitated gaze. She sighed as she finished the last of her food, pushing her bowl away from her with a pearly white hoof.

"Luna... I.. I want to apologize to you." Celestia said, avoiding Luna's shocked gaze. "I feel horrible for screaming at you... and I know we've been... on edge with each other ever since." She turned, her gaze finally shifting to meet Luna's eyes.

"You are my little sister. I just want to see you safe Luna." She said, smiling weakly as Luna stared at her with a hard edge in her eye. "I couldn't live with myself if you were hurt by... them.”

Luna stared at her, fighting the urge to frown. She forced a smile to appear on her face, nodding slowly as she spoke.

“It's alright 'Tia. I understand that you just... you just want to protect me. I'll leave them be...” She said, trailing off as she lowered her head. Celestia stared at her for a moment, before alighting her horn in a golden hue. Their bowls floated into the air, collapsing in a heap in the corner of the makeshift kitchen. Celestia grew silent as she picked up the third bowl, staring at the food forlornly as she sighed.

“I'm going to go practice flying, 'Tia.” Luna said, her tail flicking behind her as she turned to trot out of the room.

“Wait!”

Luna turned, her eyebrow raised as she shot a confused look at Celestia. Celestia opened her mouth, before snapping her muzzle closed as she bit her lip.

“Just... be safe okay? Stay near the cave.” Celestia said, smiling tenderly at her younger sister. Luna stared at her for a minute, her head cocked to side.

“I will 'Tia.” She grinned at Celestia, smiling as she nuzzled her elder sister. “I love you.”

Celestia smiled as Luna trotted out of the room, her tail weaving in the air as it vanished around the corner. “I love you to Luna.”

x-x-x-X-X-X-x-x-x

Luna trotted toward the cave entrance, staring at the snow whipping around in the frigid air. She bit her lip as her horn flared, a sudden wave of warmth passing over her a moment later. She stepped outside the cave slowly, a grin on her face as a soothing warmth spread across her fur. She looked around, the grin slipping from her face as her eyes were met with a wall of white.

She missed the beautiful greens of the summer, the warm air, and the smell of the various flowers drifting through the air. She stepped forward, her hooves sliding over a thin layer of ice that had built up on the ground. She cursed quietly, scrambling for purchase on the slick surface as she made her way to the edge of their small clearing.
She sat back on her haunches, arching her neck to try to get a distant view of the earth pony village. She cocked her head as she stared at the empty village, lacking even the normal smoke from their winter fires. Her eyes went wide as they were drawn to a large column of smoke in the distance. She stood, her wings twitching at her side as she glanced between the empty village and the cave behind her.

She stared at the cave entrance for a moment, a heavy sigh escaping her lips. She turned, her wings stretched wide at her side as she leapt from the clearing, soaring through the sky toward the foot of the mountain. She passed the large tree she used to hide in, not even sparing a glance at the barren bark.

She grit her teeth as her wings buzzed at her side, pulling her out of her rapid dive. She glided to a stop near the cottage furthest from the earth pony village, darting behind the building the moment she landed. She hesitated, her eyes darting around her before she slowly peaked around the corner.

She saw no one, not even ponies fetching firewood. She slowly slid around the building, staring curiously at the cottage door swinging slowly on its hinges. She stepped closer, silently craning her neck to peer inside the cottage when a small filly burst out of the cottage, racing past her blindly into the snow.

She was just able to slap a hoof over her mouth, stopping a scream in its tracks. She stared at the filly, her eyes wide in shock as the tiny pony slowed in the snow, before stopping altogether and collapsing in a small heap. Luna turned, her hooves digging into the snow as she raced around the house, intent on winding her way back up the mountain to the safety of her and Celestia’s cave when a sorrowful sound reached her ears.

The filly was crying. Luna froze, fighting against her instincts to run as she turned to face the small pony. She sighed, knowing full well she could not abandon the filly. She crept closer, her ears swiveling to hear the pony talking to herself.

“-ver catch up to ‘em now... Ah’ll never see daddy again...” The filly said, her voice thick with sorrow. Luna stared at the filly, her hooves shuffling uncertainly in the snow. She sighed, her head hanging low as she stepped forward, clearing her throat softly.

“Are you okay?” Luna said, her voice low and soft. The filly screamed, her fur standing on end as she dove into the snow, her hooves flying to cover her eyes.

“I’m sorry!” Luna said, taking a step back. “I didn’t mean to scare you! I want to help you...” Her voice trailed off as the filly lifted her head, a pair of large green eyes peeking out from her soft orange fur. Her eyes darted to the horn atop Luna’s head, before going wide as they spotted the wings at her side.

“Who are... wha’ are you?” The filly asked, gripping a small object tightly in her hooves. She crouched down, tucking her self into a small ball as she stared at her wearily.

“My name’s Luna.” She said, a gentle smile on her face. “I’m an Alicorn.” She stepped closer to the filly, her smile growing larger as the filly relaxed ever so slightly. “What’s your name?”

The filly stared at her for a minute, before flipping her golden mane out of her eyes. “I’m Appleseed!” She said, her teeth chattering in the freezing wind. She jumped to her hooves as Luna’s horn flared brightly, a blue aura surrounding the small filly.

“It’s okay! I’m just warming you up a little,” Luna said, grinning as the young mare smiled at her.

“Oh... okay.” She said, glancing down at the object in her hooves.

“What’s that you have there?”

Appleseed looked up, tucking the object tightly against her chest for a moment. She relaxed after a moment, her gaze dropping back to her hooves.

“It’s my dolly. My mommy made it for me... a long time ago.” She turned the object around, holding it out to Luna. “Daddy says I’m too old for dolls, but... It’s one of the last things ah have from her. Ah had to come back for it!” She said, an almost pleading tone in her voice.

Luna cocked her head, confusion evident in her eyes. “Wait, come back... where is everyone?”

The filly’s shoulders fell, her head lowered as Luna trotted to sit beside her. “My village has to leave... This danged snow came out of nowhere and killed off all our crops before we could harvest ‘em. Without food, we wouldn’t be able to make it through the winter. We’ve taken what little food we have and we were leaving for a new land. But Ah forgot my dolly...” She trailed off, a frown appearing on her face. She groaned, her hoof flying as she threw the doll away from her, crossing her forelegs in anger.

Luna’s horn flared as she pulled the doll out of the air and brought it to a stop in the air before her. She examined the doll with a smile, before holding it in front of the filly, shaking it in front of her face. Appleseed lifted her head, glaring at the doll as she grabbed at it with her tiny hooves. Luna let go of her grip on the doll as Appleseed snatched it from her magic, a reluctant grin on her face.

“What do you say we get you back to your daddy?” Luna said, bumping her flank against the filly’s. She fluttered her wings, twisting her body so the filly could see them better. “I can fly up and see which direction they went in!” She crouched down, biting the tip of her tongue as her wings buzzed at her sides.

She leapt into the air, her wings stretched out wide at her side. She soared higher into the air, her wings pumping as hard as she could manage. She cleared the rooftops of the houses around her, her eyes squinting as she peered into the blizzard.

Far off in the distance, she could just make out the earth ponies pulling their wagons, their feet stamping over the snow piled on the ground. She grinned, her eyes lowering to Appleseed staring up at her from the ground below, an orange dot on a white landscape. Her smile vanished as a gust of wind sent her spinning, snatching her out the air and throwing her into a steep dive toward the ground.

She screamed, her voice lost in the fierce winds whipping her through the air. She strained, groaning as she tried to tuck her wings in at her side. She plummeted, hurtling toward the ground in a blur of dark blue fur. She slammed into the snow, feet from where she left Appleseed, a dull thud echoing through the air.

“Luna! Luna!” The filly screamed, digging into the mound of snow with her hooves. She slowed as she unearthed Luna’s flank, her hooves gently removing the snow from her upper half. Luna pulled her head out of the snow, shaking her head slowly as she shot Appleseed a goofy smile.

“Let’s do that again!” Luna said, giggling as Appleseed glared at her.

“I saw which way your dad was!” Luna said, giggling as she stood, shaking the snow from her fur. Appleseed launched herself at Luna, tackling her into the snow as she hugged Luna as tightly as possible. Luna pushed Appleseed off her, giggling at the filly’s reaction as she turned, gazing out into the falling snow.

“They were off this way, just over the hill right here!” Luna said, pointing out into the snow with a hoof. She blinked in surprise as Appleseed went rushing past her, her hooves kicking up snow behind her. She smiled, snow flying out behind her as she gave chase, quickly catching up to the young filly.

“So where are you all headed anyways?” Luna said, glancing at the pony beside her.

Appleseed met her eyes, frowning. “We don’ really know. Ah just kno’ that the leader of the village decided we should head to warmer land. We’r gonna jus try to find somewhere warmer and try to get some food planted before we starve...” She sighed, staring at the snow under their hooves. “Daddy won’t say so, but ah kno’ we’re runnin’ low on food.”

“I’m sure your daddy’s just worried about the cold. You’ll be able to grow more crops, you’ll see.” Luna said, bumping Appleseed with her flank.

“Why don’ you come with us?”

Luna stumbled, almost falling flat on her face in shock. She stared at Appleseed as they ran, lost in her thoughts. “I... I want to. But I can’t.” Luna said, frowning as she glanced at the mountain behind her. “I have to stay for... somepony.” She trailed off, her voice fading as they cleared the top of the hill.

Below them, stretched out in a large line, stood dozens of Earth Ponies. Some stood hooked to large wagons, others carried large packs on their backs as they traveled through the clearing outside their village. Luna cocked her head as a stallion broke away from the group, his hooves pounding the dirt as he ran toward them.

“There’s my dad!” Appleseed screamed, pointing at the stallion running toward them, a gleeful tone in her voice. “Ah know you said you can’t come with us, but Ah want you to meet...” She trailed off as she turned, gazing at the empty spot where Luna had stood a moment before.

x-x-x-X-X-X-x-x-x

The days passed quickly, each day blurring together to the small blue filly. She had spent each day since meeting Appleseed staring at the now empty, earth pony village. She missed being able to watch them, even if she had to do it in secret. Now, her days were spent staring at the remains of their village until Celestia finally called her in for dinner.

“Oh, you’re back just in time for dinner!” Celestia said, grinning as Luna entered the cave.

“I’m not very hungry,.” Luna covered her mouth, stifling a loud yawn. “I think I’m going to head to bed early.” She trotted past Celestia, her hooves dragging on the floor tiredly. Celestia stuck her head out of the kitchen, watching her sister enter her bedroom with concern.

Luna entered her bedroom, her hooves aching as she threw herself on her bed, rolling tiredly onto her back.

“Luna?” A voice called out, drawing her eyes to her door. She sat up suddenly, her eyes going wide as she stared at the young orange filly standing in her bedroom.

“Appleseed? How...” Luna closed her eyes, pressing a hoof against her forehead. “How are you in my bedroom?”

Appleseed looked around, shrugging after a moment. “Ah’m not sure. Ah had just laid down to sleep...” Luna stood, her feet clopping against the stone floor as she crossed the room to stand before Appleseed.

"I must be dreaming..." Luna said, reaching out with a hoof, shivering as her hoof pressed against the filly’s fur. "This... this is a very real dream." Luna said, poking Appleseed repeatedly in the side.

“Why did ya’ run away? Ah wanted you to meet my dad.” She frowned, pushing Luna’s hoof away.

Luna looked away, her cheeks heating up as she mumbled.

“Wha’d ya’ say?”

“I’m not supposed to talk to Earth ponies... My sister says their dangerous.” Luna said, avoiding Appleseeds eyes. Her ears perked up as the filly bust out laughing, evidently finding what Luna said funny. Luna glanced to her door worriedly, pressing a hoof against Appleseed’s muzzle.

“Shhhh! We can’t wake up my sister!” Luna said, her voice lowered to a whisper.

“Earth ponies aren’t dangerous. Ah mean did ya’ think ah was dangerous today?” Appleseed whispered back, smiling at Luna.

“Well... no!” Luna said, smiling as she recalled their time together.

“Well if your sis was wrong about me, maybe she was wrong ‘bout us all?”

“Maybe...” Luna said, her voice trailing off.

“Ah wish you could of stayed with us! We left behind the snow and ice, and have discovered a beautiful valley! We’re still heading south for now, but my daddy say’s it’s got some of th’ most fertile soil he’s ever seen!”

“That’s amazing, Appleseed!” Luna said, grinning at her new friend.

“I... I’m worried we won’t have enough time to grow more crops though.” Her smile faded as she stared at the stone beneath their hooves. “We have a lot of ponies with us, and so far we haven’t been able to find much food here. Soon, we’ll have to start growing new crops and buildin’ new houses. Ah just... Ah don’t know how we’ll be able to do it all.”

Luna’s ears fell as she thought of the problems the earth ponies were going to face in the coming weeks. “I’m sorry... I wish I could help you.”

Appleseed cocked her head, giving Luna a strange look. “Thanks Luna, but you’re just one pony... There’s not much ya’ could do to help, ya know?”

Luna stared at Appleseed, a large smile growing on her face.

“Maybe...maybe there is!”