• ...
1
 43
 2,540

SPT Chapter 4

Super Pony Taisen
Chapter 4 The Kurogane lives again.

One day after the second golem attack Twilight and her friends were already training again. This time though Fluttershy was a lot more secure and did a lot better in the simulation. As they got out of the training pods they saw Digger and Spark standing in the room already waiting for them. Twilight, being a science enthusiast herself, immediately trotted over to them. After what happened already they all were ready to just drop the titles and the entire team was practically already friends.

“Hello, Digger hello, Spark. Is there something I can do for you?” Twilight asked while Spike already hopped onto her back.

The two scientists seemed really excited about something, surely they must have found something big inside the Kurogane which was still mostly unexplored.

“Indeed there is.”

As they made their way Spark told her that they found some sort of machine in the area that should lead to the bridge. At first they thought that it was a broom closet or something, but then they saw a control panel on the wall, and one pony of the engineering team told them about an idea he had some time ago. His idea was pretty much a small room inside a shaft that could be moved up and down using strong wires and the simple steam machinery Equestria had to transport ponies vertically. Apparently his idea was pretty popular in Canterlot’s engineering circle since the city had a lot of tall towers and walking the stairs to the highest point was flat out torture, especially for elderly ponies.

Since they still have not found a staircase that could lead them to the bridge, they thought that maybe, if the builders of the Kurogane were technologically much more advanced than them, then those elevators, as the engineering pony wanted to call them, might be a common thing for them. As Spark finished explaining this to Twilight and her friends, they already reached the elevator. Digger was the first to get inside and the other ponies followed.

“Now then Twilight, please power the elevator and then we can hopefully reach the ships bridge.”

As Twilight’s horn started to glow Digger continued telling her his plans.

“At first Spark wanted to power this thing himself but I thought it would be better to take a unicorn with your power with us. Since this ship probably needs a tremendous amount of power we’re probably gonna need more than just one normal unicorn to power the most important room.”

The light inside the elevator went on and the control panel beeped, indicating that it was ready for use. Digger pushed the ‘up’ button, and as the elevator closed its doors and slowly started to move upwards he began to think.

‘They only had limited power for each room before they needed to feed another dose of magic to it. There is no way the builder of the Kurogane powered the entire ship by magic alone. It would need half a city worth of unicorns just to keep the important rooms powered up at all times.’

Before he could continue his thought a loud ding told them they reached their destination and the elevator doors opened. Twilight then concentrated again to feed energy into the nearby machines and the room lit up.

Directly in front of the elevator was a large chair for the captain in front of a steel desk. sporting a few screens that slowly started to light up. displaying various messages as well as control panels. Underneath the platform were several smaller stations. neatly lined up in some sort of spearhead. right in front of the window that showed them the cave outside. so that nopony of the bridge crew would block each others view.

Before anypony could analyze the room any further. one of the control stations made a loud alarming noise. Rarity balanced on her hind hooves so she could hold her ears shut.

“What is that ghastly noise?”

Spark and Digger trotted over to the source of the noise, and Digger started to read the words displayed on the screen.

“Warning. Generator offline. Energy reserves critical.”

Sparks eyes lit up. That was it, that generator must have been what originally powered the ship. If they found the generator, then the unicorns wouldn’t have to feed their magic to the Kurogane the entire time. Spark announced this plan to the other ponies.

“That’s fine an all, but how are we s’posed ta find that generator?”

“That’s a good question Applejack. I’ll try something.”

With that, Spark turned to the still blaring control station and tried to type in the word generator.It seemed like a good start, the warning message vanished. Instead a model of the Kurogane popped up on the screen. It was a birds eye view of the ship, and while most of the model was shown in a dark green color, except for a few rooms that were highlighted in a much brighter green. Upon closer inspection Spark noticed that those were the training room, the hangar for the steel statues, and some other rooms that the archaeologists and engineers powered up to use as sleeping quarters. Then the word ‘Main Generator Room’ popped up next to the model, and a yellow line pointed from the letters to a room still unknown to the ponies that was now highlighted in a bright flashing red.

“That room there must be where the generator is located, wait a second.”

Since his first attempt was successful, Spark tried to type in ‘Activate Generator’ but instead a new message popped up.

“Energy reserves too low. External energy input needed.”

Rainbow Dash fluttered directly behind Spark.

“So? Does that mean this thing needs a kick-start?”

“Looks like it. Twilight, you and your friends gather as many unicorns as you can and go to the generator room. It’s time to breathe new life into the Kurogane.”

Spark grinned, barely able to hide his excitement. The other ponies, with the exception of Fluttershy and Rarity, seemed to be equally excited. As they made their way back down and to the crew quarters Spike was already practically hopping up and down.

“I can’t believe we’re finally getting this thing started properly, I can’t wait to see that the Kurogane can do.”

Twilight could no longer contain her own enthusiasm.

“Me too, I’m really starting to love this ship and the steel statues. This combination of form and function is simply perfect.”

“About time you get a cooler hobby.”

Twilight craned her neck around to give her assistant an offended look.

“And what exactly do you mean by that?”

Spike started to stammer nervously.

“Uh.. I just... I mean... LOOK WE’RE HERE!”

Twilight turned around just in time to avoid slamming into the door that lead to a large room with several tables and seat that was obviously some kind of mess hall.

Inside the mess hall, most of the engineers and archaeologists were chatting with each other, or playing various games that they brought with them for entertainment. All eyes were on the purple pilot of one of the steel statues as she stormed inside and called for attention.

“We have a way to power up the entire ship permanently, all unicorns follow me!”

Twilight did not need to repeat herself as all unicorns in the room practically fell over each other hurrying to the door in their sudden excitement, and even some earth and pegasus ponies rushed out of the room, presumably to tell their friends about what’s going to happen. As soon as Twilight was sure that every unicorn was following them she lead the way to the generator room. On the way there some other unicorns as well who were not in the mess hall, as well as Cogwheel, and after just a short gallop they reached a large door that said ‘Generator Room’.

“Are you sure this is going to power the entire ship?” Cogwheel asked Twilight while working his magic on the control pad next to the door.

“Pretty sure, we were on the ship’s bridge and Spark is standing by to power the generator once we get things started.”

At this Cogwheel seemed taken aback.

“Without me? But I wanted to see the bridge.”

The yellow machine-lover was a little disappointed that he couldn’t be one of the first ponies to see the Kurogane’s bridge, but he quickly perked up again. At least he would be the first to see the heart of the Kurogane. With a sudden hiss the door to the generator room slowly opened, and Cogwheel did not waste a second to enter the room. The other ponies followed him, and with a fair bit of concentration Twilight managed to get the lights to work.

As soon as she opened her eyes again she saw the generator. It was a cylinder shaped machine, almost as big as a house, with a large bladed wheel inside. To either side of the room stood several rectangular pillars that reached up to the roof, and at the base of these pillars were other machines with still empty displays and control panels. Twilight could only guess that those helped the crew check on the generators status and adjust the large machine. Cogwheel noticed them too as he finally managed to pick up his jaw from the floor, and snapped some unicorns to take position at those control panels.

“Alright everypony, on my mark you slowly start to feed your magic into the generator. Are you ready?” The machine-whisperer looked around to see that everypony was nodding nervously. “Ok, ready, set, start!” Immediately Twilight’s, Rarity’s, and every other unicorns horns glowed and their magic flowed into the machine. Cogwheel placed a hoof onto the generator and closed his eyes.

“Come on everypony. I can feel it. Just a little bit more.”

Some of the weaker unicorns collapsed as the flow of magic got stronger with each passing minute. Cogwheel hoped that the rest of the unicorns could supply enough magic; it would take at least two weeks to get more unicorns, and any newcomer would be in danger of being attacked by a sand golem.


Meanwhile on the bridge of the Kurogane Spark was fixated on the soft glowing screen. A few minutes ago a bar, showing the generators power status, showed up on the screen and started to fill. Only a tiny bit more and he could finally start the generator.

Behind him stood Digger, who was almost chewing on his hooves with anticipation. All those machines on the bridge could store immeasurable knowledge. About the past, about the Kurogane itself, maybe even about a time before the princesses. Finally a beep informed them that the generator now had enough energy to be started.

Spark wasted no time and immediately gave the command. The screen changed again.

Starting generator.

Power output at 5.35% and rising.

Spark and Digger were overjoyed and actually started to do a little victory dance.

Power output at 21.41%

Slowly the other screens on the bridge started to light up.

Power output at 34.71%

In the halls of the Kurogane all lights started to flicker to life.

Power output at 52.23%

The training pods. along with many other machines that still remained untested, also started up.

Power output at 67,91% thrusters operational.

Spark and Digger briefly wondered what those ‘thrusters’ were as they watched the energy reading climb higher and higher.

Power output at 83,28% Weapon systems operational.

This message was accompanied by a nervous gulp by the two scientists. Some time ago they would have probably disarmed the weapons as soon as they had been found, but now they’re gonna have to use them eventually.

Power output at 100,00% Titanic Drill operational, Kurogane fully operational.

Spark and Digger cheered as they read this. They did it, an ancient ship full of highly advanced technology was still functioning, and now they could make proper use of it. The engineer and the archaeologist sat down and tried to see if the Kurogane had some sort of database. Digger suddenly started to chuckle when he saw Spark’s puzzled expression.

“Sorry, but I would have never thought that we would work together one day. And especially not to prepare to fight Nightmare Moon.”

Spark then joined in, both of their chuckles grew into hearty laughs. Spark was the first to calm down.

“Yes, the entire situation is just so absurd. But say, what got you into archeology anyway?”

Digger was a little caught off guard by the sudden question.

“Well, it might sound weird, but somehow I just like all that ancient stuff. Even as a little colt I was often digging for treasures, and while all my classmates would groan if the teacher organized a field trip to the museum, I was the only one looking forward to it.”

Digger looked at the ceiling with a nostalgic look on his face.

“Sometimes I would look at the displays in the museum for hours, trying to imagine what the ponies of those times were like and how they lived.”

A smile crept onto his lips.

“And finally my dream came true. The curator of the museum was impressed by my curiosity and eventually he offered me a job in the museum. I thought I couldn’t be any happier until my various theses about ancient cultures got the attention of the archaeological society. From that day forward I was truly living my dream.”

Spark had a calm smile while listening to Digger’s story. He had to admit that he was always a little emotional, and Digger’s story was actually touching him. It would only be fair if he shared his story with him.

“My motivations for getting into engineering are not really a lifelong dream of mine. Instead I’m doing this for my mother.”

Digger was a little confused at this. “What does your mother have to do with this?”

“She was an earth pony. As you may know there are not many earth ponies in Canterlot where I grew up. Lately more earth and pegasus ponies are living there but during my foalhood my mother was really a minority there.”

His expression grew slightly sadder.

“Since the city was built with unicorns as standard citizens, in my mind mom often struggled with her daily routine. So many things required magic and my mom constantly had to ask random strangers for help. Of course everypony was happy to help her, but she was still uncomfortable so I got into tinkering.”

The sadness slowly left Spark’s face.

“I made a claw she could use to grab things. With that she could do a lot more things that would normally require telekinesis. I upgraded so it could extend for more reach, and I even invented an energy storage device that my mom could use to turn on the magic powered lights at home without my help.”

A look of determination formed on Sparks face.

“But that was not enough. So many other earth and pegasus ponies had difficulties because they lacked magic so I decided to become an engineer. To make everyponies life easier.”

Digger looked at the blue unicorn with admiration, Spark dedicated his life to help ponies all over Equestria, he felt proud that he could call him his friend. A loud ding interrupted their reminiscing. Twilight and the others were now back and they brought Cogwheel with them. Twilight and Rarity looked exhausted from spending so much magic, and the little purple dragon was fanning the white unicorn some fresh air while holding a glass of water in the other hand. With a quick thanks the purple maned fashionista took the glass and elegantly nipped on it. Spark congratulated them on activating the generator.

“Finally, now we have the entire Kurogane powered up at all times. Now we can try to find out more about the builders of this ship and the technology they used. If we’re lucky and my theory on these screens and controls is right, then maybe the old crew left their knowledge behind. Cogwheel, could you please go to the captains seat and try to find something that could help us?”

Cogwheel nodded enthusiastically. He loved this ship and all the machines; it was like an adventure for him. Sometimes he felt like he was visiting a faraway land and met new ponies with completely different cultures. He sat down in the captains seat as well as he could and started reading the machine.

Cogwheels eyes were closed and he concentrated on the contraption in front of him. What he felt was different from everything else. He was not just getting in touch with another machine, no, he was connected to the brain of the entire ship, and he was looking for the memory. Without even realizing it, he started to type away on the control panel before him. He knew what he was looking for, and he knew he was getting closer to it.

Behind him, Digger, Spark and the girls watched in awe as Cogwheels hoofs were dancing over the control panel. Finally they stopped. Everypony was now looking at the screen. The words on the screen said: “Main database.” All of them started to cheer. This was what they were looking for, the entire knowledge of the Kurogane.

Later that day Pinkie threw one of her famous parties. All of the archaeologists and engineers were celebrating the reactivation of the Kurogane. Since Spark and his engineers prepared for a long stay they had enough supplies for Pinkie to bake a few cakes, and even bobbing apples and other party games.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash meanwhile were competing at a dartboard. It was Applejack’s turn and she hit perfect bulls-eye.

“Not bad, I hope your aim inside your Schutzwald is just as good, or else those golems will wipe the floor with you.”

Applejack winced a bit at that.

“Did y'all have to mention that? Besides, who was the first to kiss the dirt again?”

“Not fair! It was a sneak attack!”



Meanwhile Fluttershy and Rarity were idly chatting at the snack table while drinking some punch.

“I’m still exhausted from earlier. Who would have thought that the Kurogane needed that much power?”

Fluttershy gave her friend a sympathetic look.

“Well, it IS a really big ship and besides, now it has its own power.”

“That’s true, and the hallways are a little less creepy now that the lights are permanently on.”

Rarity sipped on her punch while looking around the room. Aside from the party decoration and games the room was pretty barren.

“Still, I’ve got to spruce this place up. Everything just looks so... sterile.”

Fluttershy nodded in agreement. She also thought that the Kurogane could use a bit of color.



Pinkie Pie, who left the room a little early saying she forgot something important, came back with a large banner in her mouth. She went over to Twilight, who was dancing at the moment, and asked her if she could help her with the banner.

“Just hang it there over the snack table. Don’t worry the tape is really strong. I always use it for hanging up banners.”

Twilight did as instructed, as the banner was up all ponies who saw it would smile at the words on it.

Happy Birthday Kurogane

Authors note: Chapter 4 done and complete. At first I wanted to introduce the Wildraubtier in this chapter, but then I thought that I have concentrated too much on the action in the last two chapters, and decided to let things calm down in this one and use it to flesh my OC’s out a bit.

Also a little fun fact: At first I had a completely different vision for a SRW/MLP crossover. My first version was a story about Luna landing in a multi-mecha-crossover SRW world. My idea was that after her return from banishment, a council of other gods showed up and demanded Luna’s execution. To protect her sister Celestia send her to a dimension in which the residents had powerful steel machines that she hoped could defeat the gods that would try to kill Luna. I even had some series I would have included but now the idea is up for grabs to anyone who is interested. The series I would have included are:

-Shin Getter Robo Armageddon
-Mazinkaiser
-Turn A Gundam
-Gundam Wing
-Gundam 00
-Overman King Gainer
-King of braves: GaoGaiGar
-Full Metal Panic!
-Code Geass

For Banpresto originals I had some candidates:
-Rushbird and Straybird from L
-R-Series and SRX
-The originals from SRWK
-Gunleon
-Granteed, Coustwell or Bellzelute