• ...
1
 43
 2,540

SPT Chapter 10

Super Pony Taisen
Chapter 10 Spite and bitterness.

Deep underground, in a chamber designed to her tastes with a luxurious bed and a soft carpet to cover the dirty ground laid a midnight black alicorn.

Nightmare Moon was furious: No matter what she tried those damn element bearers seemed to pull a new weapon out of nowhere and beat her with it. This has become a more difficult struggle than the dark mare wanted it to be. It was supposed to be simple, one golem to dispose of the elements of harmony, then a few more to take over Equestria completely so she would be free to rule this kingdom in eternal night with throngs of loyal subjects to worship the very ground she walked.

She needed a new idea. With this new metal monstrosity she couldn't rely on quantity anymore. What she needed was something to outclass them, but how?

She needed to clear her head, as a wisp of smoke she made her way out into the gem mines that served as her home base and where the diamond dogs dug for their gems with help of their new unicorn slaves. If there was one thing she had to admit it was the efficiency with which those filthy mutts dug out the precious stones.

Suddenly inspiration hit her. She grabbed a few gems and flew back into her chamber. Gems have always been a natural conductor for magic. The unicorn guards since olden times would often wear gem encrusted armor to help them boost their magic abilities. Nightmare Moon quickly summoned a dirt golem, albeit a much smaller one, barely bigger than a normal pony. This time however she weaved the gems she took earlier into the body of the golem.

Only a faint glow indicated where the gems have sunk into the dirt golem. Nightmare Moon concentrated and gave this minion the order to shoot a part of its magic at a vase sitting in the corner of the room. The golem immediately obeyed its mistress as it raised its arm and the dirt split open to reveal one of the gems. Said gem glowed in a dark purple light and finally a purple energy beam shot out of it and shattered the vase.

A diamond dog was standing outside of the chamber as Nightmare Moon tested her new weapon. Curious, but also frightened, he risked a peak inside the room. What he saw did not help to calm his nerves. The dark mare was standing there, laughing at the vase that has been shattered and a small dirt golem was right next to her. Before he could retreat to safety the mare noticed him.

“Hey you!”

The poor dog froze up as he was addressed by the alicorn that was laughing maniacally just a second ago. He gulped and slowly turned around.

“Tell your leader that I wish to speak with him, now!”

Gladly he bolted off after the madmare barked her orders. It would be unwise to offend Nightmare Moon.

Just a few minutes later he returned with his leader, Rex, in tow.

“Alright then, tell me what you want.” Rex tried his best to keep a facade of bravery in front of Nightmare Moon, but the mare saw right through it. This dog would be easy to manipulate.

“As you may have heard things are not looking for me, that is why I need some gems to power up my golems.”

Fury overrode his survival instincts as he heard Nightmare Moons demand: they had worked themselves and their slaves hard for these gems and now they were supposed to just give them away.

“What do you think you're doing? We dug out your stone tablet and got our slaves in return, we both fulfilled out parts of the deal. And besides you still get free lodging in ret... UHG!” Rex was cut off as Nightmare Moon grabbed him with her magic and squeezed him tightly.

“And what do you think YOU are doing? Even if I couldn't crush you for your disobedience towards your future queen, do you think Celestia and Luna will just let you off easily?” Rex eyes widened in fear, not only because this insane mare was holding him in her grasp but also because he realized how deep he and his pack were in this. Nightmare Moon saw that look of realization on his face and smirked. “You have kidnapped all these ponies and directly helped me. If I lose, she will find out who helped me, and then having ALL of your gems taken away from you and being banished into a land without any gems will be the least punishment that awaits you.”

Nightmare Moon let go of her hold and the Diamond Dog leader fell to the ground. She smirked evilly and said in a false, sweet voice. “Now then, just giving me a part of your gems doesn't sound so bad anymore doesn't it?”

Rex hung his head low. He knew that in exchange for unicorn slaves to make their work easy, he just made his entire pack slaves of Nightmare Moon.


Meanwhile in the palace in Canterlot, Princess Celestia received a letter from Twilight Sparkle. The writing was hastily scribbled as Spike probably wrote twice as fast as normal. The letter said in the first sentence, without any greeting, to only read this together so before continuing Celestia went to her sisters room in a hurry. Such a hastily written letter must hold important information that both princesses needed to read as soon as possible.

As she finally arrived Princess Celestia sighed. After weeks her sister still has made no progress. In fact her guilt seemed to get worse after all communication with Neighsville dropped. After dispatching a few guards the princesses learned that the entire town was abandoned. The unicorn captain also confirmed that Nightmare Moon was in that town. It was painfully clear what occurred there, an entire town was ponynapped by that despicable dark spirit.

Her response was to evacuate all smaller towns to the bigger ones like Trottingham or Manehattan. Just yesterday the population of Ponyville arrived in Canterlot. The most difficult citizen was Granny Smith as she refused to leave the farm that she spent almost her entire life on. Only Big Macintosh was finally capable of convincing her. All of Equestria was in a panic: no amount of denial could possibly cover up the fact that the first war in the history of the kingdom has begun.

Quickly shaking that thought out of her head, she knocked on her sisters door. After a short moment of silence Luna beckoned her sister inside. Slowly pushing the door open, the elder sister slid inside the room. Luna was still lying on the bed, but thankfully Celestia noticed that she at least didn't seem to have another crying fit recently.

“Twilight has sent me another letter. It seemed important but had clear instructions for us to read it together.” She explained to her younger sister.

Luna was a little confused at this. Why was it so important that they read the letter together? Wondering about it would get them nowhere, so Celestia laid down next to Luna and unfurled the scroll.

Both sisters fixed their eyes on the scroll as they read about the Cybuster and the blackbox. For the first time they would see memories older than they were. Questions unfurled as the last moments of the Cybuster were described in great detail. Tears started to form as they heard the speech of the pilot: he must have loved his daughters a lot. Then came the decisive sentences, the daughters of the pilot were none other than themselves. Their mouths hung open as they processed the information. They were from the Kurogane, their father piloted a Personal Trooper, the loving father was their own.

Celestia struggled to keep her composure as a flood of emotions surged through her body. She never knew her father, so she could only wonder what he was like and now, even when she learned it through a letter from her student, her father loved them both. She turned towards Luna who was staring vacantly into the room.

After what felt like an eternity the smaller alicorn finally turned to her sister. “Celly, I need to go to the Kurogane, I want to see this blackbox for myself.”

Celestia could understand her little sister: it took all of her willpower to not just fly towards the desert right now, but she still had duties. “I understand Lulu, but we still have work to do here. We can't abandon the kingdom. Especially after reading this letter.”

Luna only held her head low. “Nopony needs me here.”

“Oh Luna, that's not true. Our subjects need both of us, now more than ever.”

“Face it sister, if I hadn't let my jealousy get the better of me, we wouldn't be facing war right now.”

“You demand perfection from yourself. Nopony could ever be that, not even us.” Celestia felt like the same discussion repeated itself over and over again. She desperately tries to cheer her sister up but Luna only sees herself as the guilty party and their arguments also always stayed the same and they never got anywhere.

For another long, torturous hour Celestia tried to ease her sisters pain while Luna just refused to cast off the blame she placed upon herself. It ended like all the other discussions before, with Luna's sadness barely eased. As Celestia left she took one last look at the scroll. “Father, what would you have done?”


Today would be a special day at the dig site. After the Personal Troopers have been repaired for the most part, the crew would take on their most daring project yet: Repairing and reactivating one of the super robots. After a lot of trial and error, they finally found the schematics for one of them, and as they inspected the hangar they found out that the robot was mostly in one piece. Still, they had to take it apart because the large robot would not fit through the cave opening. It was a truly impressive robot, almost four times the size of a Guarlion.

Spark oversaw the crew as they disassembled it. Carefully the screws and bolts on the arms were removed and several unicorns, Twilight Sparkle and Rarity among them, were ready to hold the large piece of metal. On the ground the two mares were chatting with each other.

“Isn't this exciting? This robot has more defensive capabilities than any of the others. This also reminds me of taking puzzles apart just to piece them back together.”

Rarity could not exactly understand her friends enthusiasm. Sure some of these robots were stylish, but Twilight seemed almost obsessed. Often the lavender unicorn would spend hours just looking at the different schematics and rambling on about technical data.

“That is really nice darling, but watch out it, looks like they are almost done.” Rarity’s horn started to glow as she grasped the already dangling arm with her magic. Twilight shook out of her ramble and did the same as the arm finally fell off. Thankfully, the unicorns already had a firm grip on it so it started to float the second it came off.

“Alright everypony, let's haul this one to the surface. Team B will stand by in case anypony loses his grip.” After the command of Spark a crewmember opened the hangar door leading them to the launch hangar. Outside, they have already prepared a patch of land for the reassembly and repairs.

Digger meanwhile sat with Spike on the bridge. He he knew a bit about geology, since his job pretty much requires him to dig underground, so he took it up to study the metal that the Kurogane and the Personal Troopers were made off.

“Dear Princess Celestia, I have studied parts of the personal troopers and concluded that they all have been made from high carbon steel. Thankfully we are capable of creating this kind of steel. Professor Spark has also disclosed his own report about the workings of the mechanics inside the PT. Sadly, despite having this information, we will not be able to create our own Personal Trooper, since we still need a lot of development time until we would be able to build one of these computers, which are necessary for the PT since they are the tool to control the PT.”

Digger paused for a moment, allowing Spike to write everything down. As the purple dragon stopped and looked at him expectantly the professor continued.

“We have also studied the blueprints for the weapons and ammo used by the Personal Troopers and we are pleased to report that we can recreate them with our current level of technology. My advice is to use the blueprints and schematics disclosed in this letter and send them to the engineering society of Canterlot. The Personal Troopers are our lifeline in this conflict and so we should focus on keeping them ready for combat. Sincerest regards, Professor Digger.”

After finishing the letter Spike rolled it up and sent it to the princess. Still the dragon seemed to be concerned about something. Professor Digger noticed this, “Is something wrong Spike?”

Said dragon looked down. “It's fine, I'm just worried about the others. We have those awesome robots to defend ourselves but what if Nightmare Moon decides to go directly for Canterlot?”

Digger smiled at this, they actually thought of this before. “Don't you worry Spike, I already have a plan for that. Spark and I decided that now that we got reinforcements we could part with a few PT's. As soon as the rest of them are repaired we will take Pinkie Pie's and Twilight's Gespensts, Applejacks Schutzwald and Rainbow Dash's Guarlion apart and send them to Canterlot along with a manual that Cogwheel is currently working on.”

Spike lighted up at this. “REALLY! Man that's so cool. Can I help you?”

Digger chuckled, “Of course, you can send the manual to the princess as soon as it's finished. He has been collecting the data from the training simulations for a while now, and he should be almost done.”

Without another word Spike hurried towards the elevator. He couldn't wait to see this project finished so that his other friends in Ponyville could defend themselves too. Lickety Split, Snips and Snails were the colts he regularly hung out with, even though the latter two were still as dumb as rocks and still regarded Trixie, of all ponies, as their idol. He could never understand how they could still be her fans after she was exposed as a fraud and even pull off a magic show during that talent show. He sighed as the elevator went down, even though it would probably sad if Trixie had no fans at all.

The elevator stopped and Spike immediately bolted out, nearly knocking over one of the bridge crew returning from his break, and ran towards the training room.


With the focus on Nightmare Moon and her golem armies, nopony noticed that another kind of revolution was taking place. After the Kurogane was found, the archaeological society practically exploded, new expeditions taking place all over Equestria. Of course that did not last long, as the curiosity was quickly replaced by fear of Nightmare Moon but there are still unoccupied dig sites everywhere.

Two lone earth ponies were walking through one of these in the middle of the night. This dig site was regarded one of the most dangerous, since it was technically in dragon territory, but was regarded as one of the most promising.

“This better be worth it, we're walking through dragon territory while in the middle of a war.” Scoffed the larger, moss green pony through his teeth with which he held a lantern. The smaller blue pony just chuckled in response.

“Don' you worry boss, I already scouted this site and I promise that we will find the answer to all of our problems in here.”

His 'boss' just grunted and followed him through the cave system. After an hour of walking he lost his patience and placed the lantern on the ground. “I've had it with this wild goose chase, you better show me some results now.”

“Oh please calm down we're already there.” The smaller pony stopped in the middle of the shaft and turned his back to a wall. The larger stallion gritted his teeth.

“Is this your idea of a joke? Dragging me into dragon territory in the middle of the night so I can look at a wall.”

Instead of responding the smaller stallion bucked the wall hard. The green pony ducked as a rumble echoed through the caves. Finally the shaking stopped and thankfully they were not buried alive. Slowly he lifted his head and then he saw it. Another cave opened behind his partner.

Carefully he picked up the lantern and went over to the hole. As the smaller stallion made his way, he peeked inside to see that there was in fact a huge cavern. With his mouth agape, the green stallion almost dropped the lantern and only managed to catch it in the very last moment. His gaze fell upon something shining on the bottom of the cave and he squinted his eyes to see.

His eyes went wide as he realized what they have found in there. Gently the green stallion placed the lantern on the floor and started to laugh. “I can't believe it, this is going to ensure our victory.”

His partner joined into the laughter, “I knew you would like this boss. After all, now the oppression will end and Terra Firma will rise to glory. We will be the salvation to all earth ponies pushed into the dirt by those pretentious unicorns and pegasi.”

For a long time their combined laughter echoed through the mine shafts like a ghost.


Today was the day that they would send some of their old PT's to Canterlot. Their engineering teams already took the Gespensts, the Schutzwald and the Guarlion apart and moved them to the storage area where the long range teleporting rune was. From one of the walkways Rainbow Dash and Applejack watched as the first parts were teleported towards Canterlot. Applejack looked at her friend and saw an uneasy expression on her face.

“Feels weird to have yer ol' ride taken apart and away huh?” The cyan pegasus twitched slightly.

“I don't know what you're talking about, the Astelion is way faster anyway.” Her indignant tone was betrayed by a hint of sadness. “But still that was MY Guarlion.”

Applejack knew how Rainbow Dash felt. Even though these were machines and not much more alive than the hat she was wearing, it still helped them greatly. Pinkie Pie must have felt the same way, otherwise she probably wouldn't have thrown a goodbye party in the hangar yesterday.

Both mares decided to head out and check on the repairs of the Super Robot. They had some free time since training was canceled due to Cogwheel, who normally led the training simulations, had to help with the PT's, and today was Derpy's and Pinkie's turn to patrol the area.

After half an hour they finally reached the surface where a circus sized tent was set up for the repairs. Just outside sat Rarity and Fluttershy at a table drinking some tea together. Rainbow Dash and Applejack went over to them. Rarity saw them coming and waved to them.

“Oh hello dears, lovely day today. I still can't believe my luck that Princess Celestia agreed to send this lovely tea set for us.” To punctuate her happiness she took another delicate sip from her teacup.

Rainbow Dash wasn't interested in that though, she just grabbed one of the biscuits lying on the table instead. “She probably wants to make sure we don't go gaga out here. Do you know how the new robot is coming along?”

This time Fluttershy answered. “They said the arms took most of the damage but the rest is mostly undamaged. We have the blueprints so we can just replace the armor. While they needed several unicorns to charge the generator of this robot it should be operational by tomorrow.” The others were a bit surprised at this, they wouldn't have thought Fluttershy to be so well informed about this.

“Did you catch Twilight's robot love sugarcube?” Asked Applejack, while remembering how often the lavender unicorn would start droning on about the performance of the PT's or show them sketches she has drawn.

“Oh I was thinking about volunteering as a pilot for it.” As Fluttershy said that Rainbow Dash and Applejack stared at her dumbfounded while Rarity did a spit take.

Rainbow Dash recovered while Rarity was still hacking. “Sorry Fluttershy, but did you just say you want to pilot this humongous hunk of steel and destruction?”

None of them could really believe it: Fluttershy always avoided conflicts, but now she pretty much volunteered for the front line.

“Well, it's just that the super robot makes me feel... safe. I can't really explain it.” The other mares decided to keep it at that, even though it was still a mystery to them what possessed Fluttershy to make this decision. Applejack and Rainbow Dash said goodbye to the two of them and went inside the tent to watch the repairs while Fluttershy and Rarity continued to chat.


Both princesses observed as the parts arrived at the castle. They did not lack helpers today, as everypony who heard of the PT's rushed to the castle in hopes they could get a glimpse. The first Gespenst was through and the engineers hauled the parts outside where they would reassemble them. From the paint job Celestia guessed that Twilight piloted this one before the Wildraubtier. There were also four of her best and brightest captains of the guard present, who were chosen to pilot the robots. All four of them have received a manual in advance but soon they would have to start practicing.

A large field has been prepared just outside of Canterlot where they could do some field training without being a danger to the civilians. The idea to just send one of the simulator chairs through was quickly discarded, since they did not have the technology to build a computer to control the simulator, so even if they did it wouldn't help.

Both princesses took in every single detail of the arriving PT parts. Did their father really pilot one of theses? Was the Cybuster really so close to Canterlot and still they never found it? Sadness washed over Celestia as she wondered if they could have avoided this entire tragedy if they could have just had a piece of their past.

Another thing got them thinking. From what she heard about the blackbox there was some sort of fight going on. Who could the alicorns of the past possibly have fought? Suddenly Celestia noticed that her sister was no longer at her side. She looked around the room and saw Luna following a team of engineers hauling the right leg of the Schutzwald outside.

Luna quietly walked alongside the workers as they kept the mechanical leg afloat. Outside, she could already see the torso of the Gespenst being attached to the legs. The night princess wanted to know more about them. Suddenly she heard the sound of a pony landing behind her. She turned around and saw her older sister.

“I'm sorry for leaving your side, I was just curious.” She muttered meekly.

“It's okay Luna, I actually wanted to take a closer look myself.” Celestia gently smiled at her younger sister. Maybe this could finally prove to be the breakthrough she needed to get her sister out of her depression.

“Tia, do the captains chosen to pilot these still need their manuals?” Asked Luna, and immediately flinched as if she feared she said something wrong.

“Well yes, but if you want to look at it I still have a spare.” Answered the older sister with a warm smile on her face. “Since I also wanted to learn more about our past so, do you want to read it together with me?” Celestia looked at her sister hopefully and for the first time in nearly a month she saw her sister smile, even if it was just a slight curl.

“I'd love to Tia.”


Authors Note: And another narrative chapter. Now, try to guess which Super Robot our shy sweet pegasus will get. I’ve given it some thought and found that my choice may look a little strange at first but also makes sense.

Ps: I’m using SPT as an acronym for this story but only found out that there’s a mecha anime called “Blue Comet SPT Layzner” after I published a few chapters.